Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 13:05

Plan: Atkins-ish/IF-ish
Stats: 385/278/180 Female 5'10"
BF:something, maybe
Progress: 52%
Default The BEST mayo, ever!

I was saddened to see that my favorite mayo, Hellman's, is now using soybean oil. I went through two stores and about 25 different brands, and almost all the mayos seem to be made with either soybean or canola oil. I don't want to ingest either oil.

The solution? Make my own. I whipped out my trusty stick blender. I put one egg into a jar, added a little salt and a little mustard. I would have added some lemon juice, but I couldn't get the bottle open. At the last minute, I added some chipotle powder. Then I poured in about a cup of macadamia nut oil. Stuck the blender into the jar at the bottom and turned it on. Hey, presto, emulsification started to happen; and I blended in all the oil.

The result? The best mayo ever! Light and tasty, with a wonderful tang! I'm making my own from now on.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 13:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

What oil did Hellman's use in "the good old days"? I thought they always used soy oil?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 13:18

I wish I could remember. I don't think it was soybean. It may have been, but was labeled as *vegetable oil.* Or maybe I was just more innocent in those days.

These days I just don't want to use those oils.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 13:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 330/318.5/180 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I noticed the other day while shopping that Hellman's has come out with a new mayo made with Olive Oil. I didn't read the ingredients so I'm not sure if it's got other stuff in it but I'll check it out next time I go shopping.

I'm going to have to try making my own mayo, yours sounds really yummy!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 13:46
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakdryad
I wish I could remember. I don't think it was soybean. It may have been, but was labeled as *vegetable oil.* Or maybe I was just more innocent in those days.
They probably used corn oil. It's been around for a long time.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 16:49

Yup. I was a Hellman's girl from childhood. It probably WAS corn oil back then...everything's made from corn.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 16:54

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Forgive my ignorance, I haven't studied this one yet. What's the problem with soy oil? Is it the phytoestrogens, the same problem as tofu? Are edemame (young fresh soybeans) just as bad as the mature ones?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 16:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakdryad
The solution? Make my own. I whipped out my trusty stick blender. I put one egg into a jar, added a little salt and a little mustard. I would have added some lemon juice, but I couldn't get the bottle open. At the last minute, I added some chipotle powder. Then I poured in about a cup of macadamia nut oil. Stuck the blender into the jar at the bottom and turned it on. Hey, presto, emulsification started to happen; and I blended in all the oil.

The result? The best mayo ever! Light and tasty, with a wonderful tang! I'm making my own from now on.

I like making my own too. I especially like making it flavored. Go to the library and pick up Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone -- she has pages of suggestions for different ingredients to flavor mayonnaise. She also has several different methods of making it. That book is my mayonnaise-making Bible.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-08, 18:01

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm glad I saw this thread--I've been experimenting with my own mayonnaise; I had a lot of canola on hand so that's what I used. The last batch came out very...petroleum-smelling--and I think I've had enough.

Macadamia nut oil sounds really expensive, though...any suggestions for what else I might use in place of canola?

(oak, I know how hard that Hellman's habit is to kick, I think I grew up on that stuff. There's a jar in the fridge right now and it almost seems wrong not to have one there.)

One thought--(re-reading your post)--doesn't mayo need some kind of acid? I use lemon juice in mine.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-08, 19:22
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Canola is another oil I avoid. I make mayo with peanut oil -- it is neutral on the Omega-3/Omega-6 ratio, and much cheaper than nut oils.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-08, 20:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne2
Macadamia nut oil sounds really expensive, though...any suggestions for what else I might use in place of canola?

Mac nut oil has too distinctive a flavor. After a couple bites I'm tired of it.

Spectrum brand avocado oil is neutral tasting. It's a little expensive, but not as much as mac nut oil. Other brands of avocado oil I've tried have too much flavor to make a neutral backdrop.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-08, 02:08

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I finally made my first batch with peanut oil (thanks, Liz). The difference from canola is like night and day. (I really don't know my oils very well, sad to say.) I did dry mustard, fine salt, a few drops of sweetener, about 1/4 tsp chipotle red pepper (thanks, Oak) and some dried parsley. And fresh lemon juice for the acid. I just tried some in a few rolled-up slices of turkey...incredible.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-08, 22:00

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225

I made a batch tonight ... I'd held off because I don't have a food processor or blender and those were what everyone suggested be used. Thank you Oak for trying your stick blender! Works like a dream.

I used 1/2 cup hazelnut oil and 1/2 cup EVOO. I'll have to taste it tomorrow - I can't stand warm mayo so I put in the fridge to chill.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-08, 22:34

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225

I found a great website for vintage recipes and this was in the directions for making mayo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Wilson's Cookbook
Put the yolk of the egg into a very cold bowl; it is better to put the bowl, the egg, the oil, and the beater all on the ice a half-hour before you need them, for then the mayonnaise comes quicker. With a Dover egg-beater beat till the yolk is very light indeed; then have some one else begin to put in the oil, one drop at a time, till the mayonnaise becomes so thick it is difficult to turn the beater; then put in a drop or two of lemon or vinegar, and this will thin it so you can use the oil again; keep on doing this till you have nearly a cup of the dressing; if you need more oil than the rule calls for, use it, and toward the last add it two or three drops at a time. When you have enough, and it is stiff enough, put in the pepper and salt and it is done. Never use mustard except with lobster, as this will spoil the taste. Some salads, especially fruit and vegetable, need very thick mayonnaise, and then it is better to make it with lemon juice, while a fish salad, or one to use with meats, may be thinner, and then the vinegar will do; the lemon juice makes it thick. Always taste it before using it, to see if it is just right, and, if not, put in more salt, or whatever it needs. You will soon learn. Most people think mayonnaise is very difficult to make, but, really, it is as easy as baking potatoes, after you have once learned how.

I'll have to try the adding vinegar or lemon juice to thin it so I can use all the oil next time.

Interesting that the recipe calls for only the yolk and not the white too.

Btw, the ingredients are:

* yolk of 1 egg
* 1/2 cup of olive-oil
* 1 tablespoonful of lemon juice or vinegar
* 1/2 teaspoonful of salt
* pinch of red pepper

Here is the vintage recipe website (all recipes are public domain) Mrs. Wilson's Cookbook
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 06:17

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

I just saw an advertisement that they now have it with olive oil - just an FYI!