Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 16:19
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
Does anyone happen to know if there is any more information about the yogurt? For instance, should it be whole milk yogurt?
FULL FAT unpasturised if you can get it.
Quote:
Unflavored?
Almost certainly flavor will include sugar and increase carb content. I make my own plain natural full fat.

Quote:
How about that pricey Greek Yogurt
that's nice, providing it's full fat and not lite. [/quote]

Quote:
How often would anyone be permitted to eat such a higher carb food?
I laid off the yoghurts while I was trying to lose weight but I now eat one nearly every day and I haven't started regaining weight yet. I do weigh every day so I keep an eye on it.
You can use those more expensive greek yoghurts as a starter culture for your own batch of yoghurt, It makes even nicer yoghurt than the plain live bio yoghurt, bit thicker but very nice. I use a heated base with 7 little jars and a cover. You just bring your milk up to temperature, stir in some skimmed milk powder, and the yoghurt culture stir and pour into the jars then leave in the heated tray for about 4 hrs till it's set. Very easy and very cheap. You can use all kinds of milk if you like. I think the fuller fat the better flavor.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 16:34

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

It's so much more fun to make yogurt in the heat of summer -- a large bowl is done in a matter of hours.

I am craving yogurt, and I just might get a tub of the greek yogurt for a starter --- but maybe I'll experiment with a couple of my acidophilus capsules, see if they'd work.

I just found out in a very old messagethread that everything I've read about carrots being a high glycemic food is INACCURATE.

Amazing how so much inaccurate nutritional info gets repeated & repeated & repeated.

I think I may have to try Intermittent Fasting, I'm getting too many cravings for off-limit foods: oatmeal, yogurt, black beans, red bean chili, and CARROTS.

LOL

Thank you for your speedy answer, I thought that yogurt would be verbotin forever.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 06:08

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Say, there's a fascinating older thread about yogurt that I brought back to the top of the list, as I wanted to learn more about the whey.

Decades ago, I read that whenever the whey separated from the yogurt, that one should stir it back into the yogurt, because the liquid whey contains all the vitamins.

I have NO idea if that's true, or just more folklore.

Turns out that the USDA website states that one cup of whey contains 12.5 carbohydrates.

That's astounding.

But certainly the whey is also where the beneficial acidophilus and bifidus bacteria are? Or do pills of acidophilus also contain high amounts of carbs?

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=7749742

If one removes all the whey, does one also remove a substantial amount of the overall nutrients?

I purchased the Greek yogurt yesterday and had half a cup.

It's delicious, it tastes like homemade yogurt and has a similar thick consistency to homemade yogurt, too.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 08:42
Registered Member

BF:

#50   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 04:11
Registered Member

BF:

Another poll that I'd like your help with.
Vote for Annika as our Favourite Witch
this is a tidied up goodle translate version of her manifesto.
Fat Hag: Annika Dahlqvist
Justification: Diet war between those who advocate the traditional plate model and those who espouse the so-called lchf method (low calorie and high fat content) is now called fat war.
Pugnacious doctor Annika Dahlqvist is on the lchf-side, that is, the little people more "natural fat in the diet" and powerful professors on the other. Newly saved converts to the "fat diet" replace low fat margarine with butter and dripping and then compare how much weight they have lost, it is clear they must like a diet that allows b!arnaise. (butter/egg sauce) Lchf seems to have started a movement. Or perhaps a religion?
HIGH PRIESTESS Dahlqvist chuckles all the way to the WITCHES. Fat right!

The link comes from Annika's site so she is happy with the idea of being known as Sweden's favourite Witch. I think she was a bit dissapointed at not being voted Sweden Rowdiest woman last year so maybe with your help she'll win the most favourite witch poll.

Her site also reports that Dr Dahlqvist's cookbook is still Sweden's best selling recipe book. I've asked on the site if they plan an English edition.
It was co authored by The writer of this blog so you can guess the recipes will be interesting and exciting. Use Google translate + your imagination or guess work to read it a garbled version in English
It would be great if other readers could support my request on Annika's blog for an English edition of her cookbook for the UK/USA market.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Tue, Apr-07-09 at 04:25.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-09, 09:58

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

ted, i'm just wondering why you use skim milk powder in your yogurt rather than whole. is it just not available?
i make my own buttermilk and it is very easy. i don't need to heat the milk....just pour it in the jar straight from the fridge, add a little of the previous batch of buttermilk and by the end of the day, it's done.
i do love yogurt, though, and used to make my own but the culture became weak and i always had to buy some commercial for a starter. the powder starters were just too expensive.
i may start making it again.

my other question is, do you need to be careful of your dairy consumption?
i consume plenty and am often made to feel that there is an upper limit.
no problem in the weight gain area, and in fact tend to weigh less than when i consume more meat as opposed to dairy.
just wondering....
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 03:44
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51
ted, i'm just wondering why you use skim milk powder in your yogurt rather than whole. is it just not available?
Yes I would far rather use full milk powder but none of the local supermarkets sell dried whole milk powder. I prefer a thickish yoghurt and putting the dried milk powder in gives it a nice texture.

Quote:
the culture became weak and i always had to buy some commercial for a starter. the powder starters were just too expensive.
This does tend to happen after a bit. But we've gone over a year without having to buy a new starter yoghurt. Going away on holiday for a fortnight tends to be the break point. Recently we've tried using whole greek yoghurt as a starter and that works fine and makes a nice yoghurt similar to the bought stuff [/quote]

Quote:
do you need to be careful of your dairy consumption?
i consume plenty and am often made to feel that there is an upper limit.
no problem in the weight gain area, and in fact tend to weigh less than when i consume more meat as opposed to dairy.
just wondering....
I think anything ending in OSE like lactose fructose sucrose may cause problems with low carbing as it's an indication it contains sugars.
Stephan has some interesting things to say about milk and fermenting it He even has a post on how to make yoghurt at home.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 09:28

i agree about the -ose. but i have to say that when milk was on the table at every meal, obesity was not even close to what it is today. guess because it was replaced by drinks w much more sugar. also there was, in general, less carb consumed since the food pyramid did not yet exist.
the only actually milk i consume is in my coffee and the rest is in cultured products and long aged cheese so i don't worry much about the sugar.
i believe that the reason a lot of peop have weight stall/gain from dairy is because it is an addition to the other protein.
i tend to eat it as the protein so, not a problem.

thanks for all the writing on dr dahlquist. she is on a mission!! i appreciate that. i wish more of this info was in english.

oh, and on the vitamin D3 issue; i was taking 1000 mg last year and my blood level was low. my NP had me double the dose and in two months my levels were good. she had me drop back for summer since i am outdoors most days. i will increase again in fall.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 12:36
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51
thanks for all the writing on dr dahlquist. she is on a mission!! i appreciate that. i wish more of this info was in english.
I use Google Translate to follow her blog and that of Andreas Eenfeldt they are way ahead of the USA and even further ahead of the UK in Low Carb eating and of treating diabetics mainly by diet and with minimal use of insulin.
Quote:
oh, and on the vitamin D3 issue; i was taking 1000 mg last year and my blood level was low. my NP had me double the dose and in two months my levels were good. she had me drop back for summer since i am outdoors most days. i will increase again in fall.
Do consider getting your own 25(OH)D levels done and taking control of this matter yourself.
For a start Health Professionals tend to simply prescribe the form of Vitamin D that makes lots of money for big pharma but is unreliable and least effective in humans. You can buy your own more effective more efficient longer lasting safer and in every respect better value over the counter if you only buy cholecalciferol Vitamin D3 the form humans use best.
Similarly health professionals tend to consider "NORMAL" levels as reasonable and in a country where NORMAL people are vitamin d deficient that is not doing anyone any good whatsoever.
What I want and I hope everyone else here agrees is for the indicence of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, MS, diabetes and most other chronic conditions REDUCE. While we continue to have the bulk of the NORMAL population with levels just above that which prevents rickets by moving above the level that most people currently have to around 55ng 137.5nmol/l you will be in the zone where least chronic disease occurs and while this won't be good for the profits of big pharma nor for the career prospects of health professionals, as far as you and I are concerned the lower the risk of chronic disease incidence the better.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 19:15

thanks for that info.
my initial vitamin D 25-OH level was 45.7. i see that the 'normal' is 30.0-150.0.
she told me to double and make sure it was D3...no prescription.
my last reading was 59.8.

after reading your post and reviewing the normal range, i think i'll just stick w the higher dose regardless of season.
the above tests were drawn in november and january....horrible and gloomy time of year....about 1 mo 12 days apart.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-09, 05:55

Plan: Dahlqvist
Stats: 312/312/165 Female 172 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 0%

Aloha

Started this today though I'm aiming to use up all my current shopping before committing fully. With about half my body weight to lose, I'll need all the encouragement I can get o_O

Dee
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 20:38

Plan: CR Marine Paleoish
Stats: 130/100/105 Female 5 Ft 2.5 In
BF:
Progress: 120%

Interesting fact is that some Swedes I know credit her for the fact that there are now plenty of gammaldägs (old-fashioned, which basically means full fat) dairy products in the stores again, which is something you sadly don't see in many other European countries. Sweden has AMAZING dairy products. I recommend långfil, fjäll yogurt, and messmör.

In Finland, for example, many of the dairy products are such low percentages of fat that I surmise they are mostly water...
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 18:28

really fishercat? wow, i thought the US had the corner on no/low fat.
i now have a deeper apreciation, for sure.
i continue to wish that it was easier to translate.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-09, 05:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/000/135 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 775%

Hutchinson,

Thanks for the introduction to Dahlqvist's Plan. I had never heard of it before.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-09, 03:37
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss K
Hutchinson,

Thanks for the introduction to Dahlqvist's Plan. I had never heard of it before.
There is now an English copy of her forum that is kindly provided by a Swedish person who translates Annika's posts into readable English as opposed to Google Translate that often leaves a lot to guesswork.

It's really shocking what has happened to Dr Dahlqvist. She's now lost her part time work as a supply doctor because she was misreported by the national press there. The fact is that MOST health professionals DON'T take the flu virus and MOST don't have mammograms. The fact that Annika doesn't either and when asked answered the question honestly (she said because of her work schedule these weren't a priority for her) her local health authority has stopped employing her.

We are never going to make progress in improving health outcomes if those within the health services are not allowed to comment when current policies do not appear to be working or where they are having more adverse outcomes than beneficial ones.
We need a culture where health professionals who are sufficiently courageous to draw attention to the failure of the current medical consensus are rewarded and celebrated.
We need whistleblowers.
We should encourage them, not try to silence them.