Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 19:17

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
That's worse than... Tuna tacos!!

Actually, tuna tacos are delicious! I highly recommend them! (Fresh seared tuna, of course)

I'm having a hard time with your breakfast too, Larry. Great ingredients, but, but ....

Well, I'm glad you like it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 20:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
Sardines are great in this salad:

- hothouse cucumber (ie, "burpless" or seedless), diced
- seeded ripe tomato, diced
- red onion, finely chopped
- flat leaf parsley, chopped
- arugula, chopped
- sardines, chopped
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper

OK, now THAT sounds tasty!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 08:47
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi everyone! I am still chuckling at the havoc Larry's breakfast is wreaking on this forum all over again. hee hee I've had days of "high fatting" and I agree it is a major energy booster. I have decided recently that I need to try something different, but for the record I highly respect it.

And, the reason I stopped by this morning while my little guy is napping is to check in on everyone as well as give an update.

First I want to say how nice it is to see new faces and more chatting in this section again. It had gotten quiet for awhile and it's great to see new faces and others coming back, starting over (like me) and lots of other people from other plans visiting and offering suggestions.

To update you on me...basically I have struggled with a lot of challenges since having my son nearly 15 weeks ago. (He'll be 15 weeks this Thursday.) I am overworked and overstressed in ways that go beyond most new moms...but also blessed beyond most as well. It's a double-edged sword to be sure and I'm trying hard to keep my head about me as I go through this new phase of life. I'm happy to say my son is very healthy and happy and the time and energy I'm investing into caring for him is definitely paying off!

As for me, well I've been struggling with the weight that doesn't seem to want to come off and my appetite for foods that has been working well to ensure the weight does NOT come off...and changes have had to be made. But psychologically I've been vacillating because I've been so exhausted (sleep deprivation is not pretty) and one minute feeling I should be kinder to myself and another minute very frustrated with my food and exercise downfalls. Recently I hit a low point where my body just crashed on me. My immune system tanked and I had symptoms I hadn't seen in my body for YEARS (cold sore, sinus infection). I was so upset but it was a sign that things need to change and I had to come up with a new game plan for how to do that and still survive while my body transitioned and could thrive again like before.

The day I realized how sick I was, I took off and left Daddy to babysit and had a few hours to myself (which is a huge part of healing) to figure out how to approach things. As luck would have it I also came across an inspring "diet" of sorts call the "No S Diet" (www.nosdiet.com) and I realized that I needed to use this kind of approach with myself. Yes, yes, I know from a technical standpoint that using food as a reward isn't good, but at some point I need to work WITH my tendencies and cravings as opposed to just fighting them.

So I devised a game plan that takes the principles of PP but blends them with the "No S" concepts...which simply defined are no snacks, seconds, or sweets except on "S" days. It's actually very compatible with the Eades' approach to treating themselves on occasion, except I'm allowing for it weekly. And the key is allowing...though not necessarily taking. It is my choice, just like with PP, as to how strict I'll be. And that freedom has actually been a wonderful relief and a success already! Who knew I'd actually act better with a longer "leash"? haha

I have actually upped my carb intake to a bit more transition/maintenance level, but I figure that is a good way to start to be satisfied and will allow me to inch back down to transition and keep living well in the interim, versus that "all or nothing" approach many of us so often default to when faced with extreme challenges. And on better days, I can go lower and will end up with a simplified carb cycling as a result, which is never a bad thing IMO. I have approached exercise in the same way, coming up with simple and short approaches to things I love and know work (such as interval training and weights). I've had to do this within the construct of chiropractic care because of the tendonitis in both wrists (another source of stress for me). But things are looking up as I continue to stretch and strengthen them while getting treatment.

I know I'm going on quite a bit but I felt it would be beneficial to share with you the progress I'm making especially now that it's on an upward swing. I also wanted to share something that is both interesting and possibly motivating for newbies. When I stared PP I was decidedly Hedonist. And as I've been re-reading PPLP in bits lately -- inspired by all the new folk -- I realized that I have actually transitioned most of the way to Dillitante!!! Just by making small changes over the past couple years I am probably 80-90% Dilletante with at least 10% of that not being in my control (certain foods not available to me). And although this applies mostly to when I'm eating correctly according to PPLP I realized it actually has applied to when I was off-plan as well. And it did my heart good to know that I've been eating healthier than most people out there even when I've been eating "badly" in my own eyes. It's one of those things where you look back after taking small steps and realize just how far you've come.

Thanks for indulging me on such a long update.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 11:22

BF:

Hi Lisa! Nice to hear from you again!

I think I'll forward the link to that "no S diet" to my 13yo- she's worried about her weight but doesn't want to do a strict LC plan like I'm doing (and anyway it's nearly impossible for her with school lunches).

I'm just taking a short break from Passover preparation. Passover officially starts on Saturday night, but all the preparations for the seder need to begin before Shabbos (Friday night), which means I have to start cooking on Thursday and have my kitchen ready by the end of today. I was hoping to have it ready by the end of yesterday or the beginning of today, but it didn't quite work out that way.

For Orthodox Jews Passover preparation is HUGE. I need to cover my counters, and I can't use any of my regular year-round plates, forks, bowls, pots, etc without special preparation (such as boiling all my silverware and running my frying pans through the oven's self cleaning cycle.)

I'm about halfway done with the kitchen. Most of the "year round' stuff is packed away, the oven and stove are kashered (made kosher), but I still have to cover the counters, kasher all the silverware, and unpack the special Passover items (including a desk full of groceries in the living room.)
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 15:07
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Ruth, I'm not sure if it's appropriate to say "Happy Passover" exactly (awkward!) but I will say I hope this next Jewish holiday is a wonderful experience for you and your family. I know it takes a LOT of preparation and I respect your effort!

BTW, I think it's a super idea to show your daughter that link because the magic of that "diet" is that it isnt' really a diet and she can do it around friends and eat very flexibly. It's really such a simple and positive way to make good changes in eating habits. Good luck!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 15:20

BF:

You can most definitely say "Happy Passover".

Not only will I show it to my 13yo when she gets home from school, but my 11yo (homeschooled) ended up reading it when I got up to do stuff in the kitchen (whatever Mommy's reading MUST be interesting, right?) We had a good talk about it (and healthy eating in general, and how this guy has good ideas but is obviously ignorant about the safety of LC diets, etc) while working in the kitchen together.

And now I have to go back and finish covering my kitchen counters.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 11:31

BF:

Right now I'm trying to get back on track after eating a lot of sugary foods over Passover- and finding out some bad news on the 7th day of Passover (my cousin died and I REALLY would have preferred to not hear the news until the holidays were over- the last two days of Passover and my daughter's 12th birthday were COMPLETELY ruined for me, and as a result I ate a lot more sugar than I normally would have.)

So far today I had some coffee with almond milk and no other sweeteners (I can't find the stevia I packed away before Passover, and I already packed away the sweet n low to use next Passover- I got headaches that may have been due to using it daily, and I'd rather not make a habit of consuming it regularly.) Then I had a mushroom omelette and my tummy is pretty full but I need to drink some more.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 11:47
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Ruth, I'm sorry Passover ended badly for you. My condolences on your family's loss.

As for me I'm struggling bigtime with something that might be a bit personal to share here. I'll try to write it in a way that isn't TMI. As you know I'm a new mom and it was important from a health standpoint that I not get pregnant again so soon so I went on a new BC and I am suffering BADLY as a result. The list of side effects are insane so I'm going to see my doc today to hopefully fix this issue. Needless to say it has completely thrown my efforts of eating well and exercising (well, the eating part is ok except for me getting so sick so often, but being so exhausted and achy has worked against the exercise).

Needless to say my first priority has got to be getting better. Then I'll get back to the task at hand of getting healthier.

Hope everyone else is doing well! I'll try to check in again soon.