Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 11:17
Carb Nazi

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%
Default CHANTIX - My Experience

I have enjoyed reading some of the posts here regarding smoking cessation aids and I thought I would share mine with Chantix.
Bottomline, I think it is far better than the patch or zyban or well-butron or gum... believe me, I have tried them all. The first time I tried it, I only took it for two weeks after I quit smoking and went right back to the cigs shortly thereafter. This time, I took it for two weeks and then quit smoking. I have made it 54 days without a cigarette, and I took myself off the Chantix 4 days ago. I feel fine.
What Chantix does, in very simplistic terms, is block whatever it is in your brain that tells you that you want a cigarette. There is no nicotine in Chantix so it works on your brain sensors. By the end of two weeks I found myself smoking and leaving the cigarette burning in the ashtray forgetting I lit it. After the first two weeks, I kept taking the chantix for about 45 days. During that two weeks I read "How to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. It is a great book. Now, when an urge hits... and it is increasingly less-frequent and less-severe... I just remember the things I learned from the book, which mainly is there is nothing enjoyable about a cigarette, except when you are addicted to Nicotine. Then it is enjoyable only because you are fulfilling a bodily need/addiction to nicotine. Since I am no longer addicted to Nicotine, thinking that a cigarette would be enjoyable is only a fall-back to the days when I was smoking to fill that addiction.
I waited until I thought I had the cigarette issue down to start back on Atkins. This is truly a remaking of myself so that I can live longer than my Father, who had all of the same habits and issues... and had his first heart-attack at 40, his last one that caused his death at 69, and several in between with a stroke or two thrown in over the period. He was in deteriorating health by the time he was in his mid-fifties, and spent the last five years of his life in a nursing home unable to care for himself. At 45, I would like to have more than 10 more years of meaningful life, especially since my youngest son is only 7.
Now I am back on Atkins and things are moving much slower this time (last time over 3 years ago I lost over 60 lbs and came within 10 pounds of my goal wt, but went right back to my old way of eating). I lost 14 lbs in induction last time, and so far after nine days I have lost only 4. But heh, thats cool... I am trying to commit to a lifetime here of change... not a fast weight loss scheme.
So, with that diatribe done my only recommendation from an admitted rookie of smoking cessation, the Chantix worked well for me, but better if I waited for two weeks on it before quitting, and then staying on it for at least 45 days afterwards.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 23:35
Registered Member

Plan: Cave Woman
Stats: 181.6/177.8/145 Female 63 inches
BF:37%/37%/20%
Progress: 10%

Ahhh, Chantix!

I used it to quit and it worked for me when nothing else would.

It did it's job and cut the cravings.

It also made me sick as a dog. I spent two weeks with a bucket and a cold washcloth. Food poisoning... flu... morning sickness... anything but CHANTIX!! puke

So, I was sitting on the couch in a cold sweat smoking a cigarette when it occurred to me that I couldn't quit Chantix until I quit smoking.

The nausea was so bad that I stubbed out that cigarette half-way through and haven't touched another! (so far)

I couldn't quit taking Chantix. I'd suffered too much for too long to turn back at that point.

So, I can say that it worked, but not in the way it's designers intended!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-08, 06:39

Plan: south beach
Stats: 185/181/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I am on chantix and i tell you what it is the greastest thing ever. I do not have the urges like i did when trying the patch, zyban et......

Everyone that is serious about quitting should give chantix a try. It is worth it.

I had nausau too but when you take it you need to make sure you drink a big class of water and eat something, then i didnt have the naseau
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-08, 14:09

Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I'm end of my first Chantix week. So far so good. I also experienced nausea when smoking which was enough to prompt me to stop immediately.

Battling the eating of everything in site, especially noncarb items, and need to refocus that.

I am walking and running every evening so hopefully that will help balance the eating.

Congratulations to us all. It's tough but I know it's worth it.

Shirley
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-08, 14:15

Plan: PPLP Intervention
Stats: 206/160/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

I used it and quit for 6 months, I LOVED the stuff!! Sadly, I went back (my fault), but getting ready to do it again. What worked best for me was taking it for 2 weeks before quitting, by that time I didn't want to look at another cigarette!! I took it for 4 months and was fine, but I should have stayed on for 6 and I would probably still be smoke free. Live and learn. But the stuff is a miracle drug!!!!

Keep up the great work!! I didn't gain a pound when I quit, but I upped my cardio by 30 minutes a day to make up for the loss of metabolism, which I think is something like 13%?? That really helped I think. Congrats on the success!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-08, 23:10
Registered Member

Plan: Cave Woman
Stats: 181.6/177.8/145 Female 63 inches
BF:37%/37%/20%
Progress: 10%

Here's a *shout out* to all you Chantix users who get nauseated!

USE IT!

Tell yourself that you won't stop the Chantix until you stop smoking.

Then keep smoking until you can't stand it anymore.

My friend had the same (nausea and vomiting) problem and quit the Chantix
instead of the cigs. She's till smoking.

I wouldn't let myself off the Chantix until the cigs were gone and (because it was so horrible) I'm celebrating my ONE MONTH SMOKE FREE anniversary!

In the end, Chantix is a tool to help people stop smoking. USE IT in your own way!

But know this: Chantix really does help stop the cravings like nothing else in the world.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 13:57

Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Interestingly on a busy weekend, I forgot to take them. Cravings were back today. I'm in for the duration.

I did have to scale back from the 1 mg 2x. They made me feel really weird - kinda jumpy and really uncomfortable for me. As the lower dosage stopped my cravings (thank goodness), I'm halfing the dosage and staying at the lower. Will take that longer if need be.

My other half and I are quitting together. I've done it before, he never has. As his father had a bypass at 48, then his brother just had one in January at 48, could be genetic. So yet another reason to journey together.

At least I'm not crabby - ha!

Hang in all!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 09:37

Plan: My Own
Stats: 215/212/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Chantix can be an awesome way to quit--I know it works really well. Just be careful of depression!

Search google on chantix and depression and/or suicidal thoughts. If you use it, keep an eye on yourself, and have someone close to you keep an eye on you for symptoms of depression or other mental changes.

My dearest friend took it and it worked GREAT for him as far as quitting goes. But he also went into a severe depression at the time, to the point of being suicidal, and when I searched google on "suicidal thoughts" (not even thinking at ALL about the Chantix when I did this) I got a lot of hits on Chantix. When he stopped the Chantix he gradually got back to normal.

This is all anecdotal evidence, so take it with a grain of salt, but I would feel irresponsible not mentioning it. Many of the people who reported feeling this way had NO history of mental problems or depression before. Many had quit before and not felt anything like that, suggesting it's not just quitting smoking that made these people depressed. This was true for my friend, who has quit several times before, for long stretches, and felt some mood swings, etc. while adjusting but NOTHING like this.

This does NOT seem to happen to the majority of people but it does happen to a significant number. PLEASE use this carefully.

Watching my dearest friend go through several attempts at quitting over the last seven years, I know (as well as a non-addict can) how incredibly hard it is to kick this habit. I applaud all of you for doing whatever it takes to get free!

I just would hate the treatment to be worse than the disease, y'know?

Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 13:19

Stats: 238/231/180 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 12%

Chantix worked for me, but turned my wife into a nut.

After I was smoke free for 3 weeks, I got off of it too. The risk of side effects just freaked me out. BUT, I doubt I could have been this successful without it initially.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-08, 18:29
Registered Member

Stats: 225/185/185 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 100%

after unsuccessful with the patch, gum and hypnosis I enrolled in a smoking cessations class at the Veteran's Hospital. They prescribed Chantix along with weekly classes. I was smoking almost 3 packs a day of camel non-filters. I haven't smoked since thanksgiving ( just less than 8 months). what I use to spend on cigs I ended up spending removing the cig smell from every thing I own. All that remains of my smoking habit is a curiosity what a cig would do if I smoked one.......so I'll pass..........the chantix dreams were entertaining......being a PTSD'er I've come to terms with crazy dreams long ago............being around people who still smoke doesn't bother me...

I'll leave you with this.......If I could do it.....I'd be surprised if you couldn't.............
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 06:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I started Chantix 2 1/2 weeks ago. After 2 weeks I went to laser therapy and I quit. I am 72 hours smoke free. It is still hard but not near as hard as it has been for me in the past. This is my 6th attempt. I have tried everything from Zyban to Hypnosis. I don't know what is helping the most--the Chantix or the Laser. I do know that when the cravings hit, they pass quickly (thank God) and I don't get them all day. I also took out the book by Allen Carr from the library and just started reading it.........I am serious about quitting, huh
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-08, 12:18

Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

I just started Chantix today and I thought it was jus tsomething strange about me-feel like my stomach is upset and odd taste in my mouth at times. I've felt sick but haven't "lost it" yet. I will keep up with it and see how it does. I had my last cig last night.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-08, 12:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/153/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 43%

[QUOTE=GypsyClare]Chantix can be an awesome way to quit--I know it works really well. Just be careful of depression!

QUOTE]
And I would be one of the unlucky ones. I was quite angry because my Dr knew I was having some problems with depression (it came up in the very apt. that I was given the prescription for chantix) Needless to say I am still smoking and have been off work and on disability since June. Severe depression and now I have panic attacks. I had never had one before until the chantix. Was on effexor for 2 months, that made things worse and caused a 20 pound weight gain. On wellbutrin now, who knows if it will help. So I know it works for a lot of people but if your concerned about any emotional issues I wouldn't go there! But congrats to all those it worked for!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-08, 13:30

Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

I have been on well. for over a year to deal with depression. It has helped somewhat with the depression but have to say that I have not had any of the weight loss that I was told I probably would have. I also gained about 20 lbs and have been having such a hard time emotionally with that and other issues. I am hoping my experience with Chantix goes well.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-08, 14:10
Registered Member

Stats: 225/185/185 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was one of the lucky ones....................it's almost been a year since I last smoked (Thanksgiving) and I've lost weight from 225 to mid 180's (Atkins)................I went to moking cessations 12 weeks of classes at the Veteran's Hospital. (see above thread) MAN!!!!!!! I couldn't be happier with the results

I'll monitor this thread if any one has questions