Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 10:04

Plan: PP
Stats: 130/128/120
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Cris

Hi from a fellow NY Borough girl! I am from Queens, although I live in CT now!

The name of the product is PERDIEM, and you can get it at CVS or Duane Reade. It is a yellow canister, and should be on the shelf with the Metamucil and stuff.

I have a HUGE and LONG TIME problem with constipation, even before this WOE. I abused laxatives for about years, and really ruined my bowels.

I use Citrucel instead of Metamucil. The psyllium is to irritating to my gut. The Citrucel is made of methylcellulose, and just makes the stool hold water, to make them larger and softer. I used to use the sugar-free powder mixed with water 2x day.

But now . . . my husband just found me Citrucel capsules (got them in Costco, but should be in CVS) !! I take 2 capsules 4x day (to equal same dose as liquid) and its working well for me. I still go only every other day . . . and I only weigh myself on days I do go!!!!

Sometimes, I will take 2 Colace at night in addition. Thats also a stool softener that helps things as well.

Hope this helps!!

Suz
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 10:30

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Hang in there

Hang in there Chris. Good things come to those who wait.
We ALL want to see you stick with us and hope that you do.
Please be encouraged that you are taking care of yourself and making good choices. If this lower carb way of life is right for you then YOU WILL see changes.....even if it takes longer. So please, please don't give up on it yet.

I have never posted what I am eating... but this morning I had two fried eggs cooked in my good olive oil with lots of pepper and a touch of salt AND I had four stalks of asparagus with a little bit of butter... MMMMmmm..... It was such a good breakfast. Remember...... eat what you like for breakfast even if it isn't considered a "breakfast food".

I wish you all the best.

Libby
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 10:58

Plan: Heller(CALP)
Stats: 230/222/140
BF:
Progress: 9%

Libby, I don't like to most my menu or my weight loss either! Some days I'm afraid if I did, the true low carbers would take me out behind the forum and beat me up!! I would hate to be banished! Hang in there everyone...do what feels right for your body. Ask yourself often, "How do I FEEL on this program?" I think that is easily as important as the numbers....
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 11:24

Plan: CALP
Stats: 149/142.5/100 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Cris

You're 3 blocks from WTC. I can't imagine the stress you must be going through.

I'm in Oregon and watched the whole thing unfold on TV and I'm NEVER up watching TV at that time of day. I didn't watch the special because I'm tired of being an emotional basket case.

Your life doesn't depend on getting rid of those final few pounds. Your self image shouldn't either. You won't find your comfort in food. Once in awhile find a quiet safe place and repeat, "Right this minute I am perfectly safe." It may not feel true, but it is if you're still breathing. You might sit on the floor with your kids and all of you do it together. They are stressed, too.

Eat to be healthy.

Get some chromium and it'll take care of your cravings.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 14:31

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 184/181/150
BF:
Default Hey Chris

I've been on Prodiem (I had spelled it wrong previously) since Sunday (once a day) and this morning was "lucky". So I think your bloating and stuff has everything to do with that. I remember the first time I did LC, I was like you and I would go days without anything. Then I'd go and low and behold... I would have lost 3lbs just by "going". This might be what's happening to you.

The one thing to remember is that You're CHRIS you're not Josee or Pepper or who ever else. You can't lose like them because you're not them. Everybody loses differently. The point is that you're losing.

The one thing I truly believe in is that at some point you should be able to reward yourself. Maybe you could reward yourself once a week. Now some people can't even handle that. As soon as they cheat, they completely fall off the waggon. I happen to be in a bad time for me right now, but usually I can handle the little rewards. I love food in general. I can't say to you that I crave one thing more than the next, but I do have specific cravings (like right now... I would totally go for pita bread with Taziki...)

I don't have a miracle answer for you. Except maybe doing it to be healthy and not concentrate on the weight so much (and especially the scale) of which I'm a culprit myself. Maybe we need to find a way to see it differently, and not be so obsessed with it (as I am too).

By talking to each other and being there for each other, maybe we can do it better, instead of how we used to do it alone and felt like a failure when we couldn't stick to the diet. You're on the right track... you've already been on the diet for a little while... keep going. It's worth it!
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 17:40

BF:
Default Most Excellent Advice...

BASpider and Josee have both imparted some wisdom to us all. BASpider, as profoundly affected by the events of 9/11 as the world has been, I cannot imagine how the wonderful New Yorkers like Cris have coped with not only that day, but the changes to their whole lives. People like you, CRIS, who are dealing with that tragedy and picking yourselves up and dusting yourselves off inspire me to my very core. And Josee is so right...shifting focus from the weight is key to EVERY ONE OF US. Our health...our lives...our spirits need far more attention that crappy bathroom scale. Thanks for something to think about!
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 20:06

Plan: SOUTH BEACH
Stats: 151.2/146/135
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default THANKS

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT AND SUPPORT. I REALLY DO APPRECIATE EVERYTHING.
BASPIDER AND DIANE, I SUPPOSE I NEVER REALIZED HOW MUCH STRESS AND WORRY THAT 9/11 HAS PLACED ON ALL OF US, NOT JUST THE NEW YORKERS. IT JUST HIT SO CLOSE TO HOME OVER HERE.

ANYWAY, TODAY I WAS DOING GOOD. STILL NO BATHROOM LUCK TO SPEAK OF. BUT I HAD A GOOD WORKOUT. ATE WELL FOR BREAKFAST AND LUNCH THEN I HAD A STORE BOUGHT ROTISSERIE CHICKEN FOR DINNER. AFTER I ATE IT I READ THE INGREDIENTS AND I SAW DEXTROSE. I AM NOW FLIPPING OUT OVER THIS. I FEEL LIKE I F***** UP THE WHOLE DAY. I WAS DOING 100%.
WHAT A WASTE NOW. I HOPE IT DOESN'T HAVE THAT MUCH OF AN
AFFECT ON ME. AH, I CAN'T GO CRAZY OVER IT. MOVE ON MOVE ON. DON'T THINK I'LL WEIGH UNTIL AFTER I HAVE SOME BATHROOM SUCCESS. MAYBE I'LL LOSE 20 POUNDS.

SO THANKS FOR ALL YOU KIND WORDS EVERYONE. THIS THREAD HAS REALLY BEEN HELPFUL AND INSPIRING.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 20:19

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 181/173.5/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 16%

Stay positive everybody. Learn to enjoy each moment as it unfolds. The present is all we have.

Check in

B- 1 egg,mushroom, onion,1/2 sl. cheese

L-1/2 sl cheese, brocolli, 2 turkey patties

D- large saladw/ salami and cheese, 5 crackers

Exercise- tae bo, weights
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 20:26

BF:
Default Grandma's advice

My Grandma died in December 1997 at the age of 98. She always said, "Drink a glass of warm water as soon as you get up, and you won't have trouble moving your bowels."

You might need 2 glasses, but it sure works.

Check in:

B - omelete
L - some roast and a boiled egg
D - leftover GREASY pork ribs, salad, asparagus, soy shake with 3 strawberries, 11 almonds.

I'm not losing, this won't make me gain, and I wanted it.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 05:35

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 184/181/150
BF:
Default Check in

Chris: There's something to be said about a tragedy making us stronger. Tell yourself that they won't succeed in making your life miserable and scared. The whole world was shaken up that day, and especially New Yorkers of course. The minute we start changing, being scared, depressed etc... he has won. Don't let him win. My mom always told me the best revenge on anyone is to be happy. (that truly pisses them off more than anything). My 2 cents!

Yesterday's meals:

BR: 2 pieces LC bread with peanut butter, 1 hard cooked egg, 1 coffee.

L: left over beef with a little broccoli.

D: Hamburger patties & mashed potatoes with gravy.

Had lots of water. Took all my pills.

Weigh in this morning: 183.5 Went down 1.5 lbs.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 07:19

BF:
Default ~#$#~%^&%$#~

WELL HERE I GO AGAIN. I AM SO F****** PISSED OFF. HOW THE F*** DID I GAIN 1/2 POUND??? I REALLY DON'T GET IT. I AM STICKING TO THE TEE HERE. COUNTING EVERY SINGLE CARB. EVEN THE SF GUM. NEVER GOING OVER 20. THERE IS NO WAY I AM GOING BELOW 20. I'LL NEVER SURVIVE LIKE THAT. I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF GAINING AND LOSING THE SAME 3 POUNDS. IT'S BULL***. I FINALLY WENT TO THE BATHROOM. DIDN'T HELP THOUGH. I JUST THINK THIS DIET IS NOT FOR MY BODY. I MEAN I HAVE BEEN LCING SINCE JANUARY AND I REALLY HAVE NOT LOST ANYTHING. I WILL GIVE THIS 2 MORE WEEKS, THEN I'M DONE. I NEED SOMETHING ELSES. I FEEL LIKE I AM WASTING MONTHS HERE. I COULD HAVE BEEN DONE ALREADY WITH ANOTHER PLAN. I LOST EVERY WEEK ON WEIGHT WATCHERS. MAYBE SMALL AMTS, BUT I NEVER GAINED. AND I WAS EATING CARBS. I HAVE NOT LOST INCHES EITHER. DAMN. I AM BACK TO SQUARE ONE HERE. WHAT A JOKE. I AM SO FRUSTRATED AND DEPRESSED RIGHT NOW. I REALLY AM BAFFLED. I AM DRINKING ALL THE F****** WATER, EXCERCISING 7 DAYS A WEEK. WHAT THE F*** ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO DO HERE? THIS SUCKS.

OK, I'M DONE VENTING. I'LL WEIGH AGAIN ON SUNDAY. IF I ONLY LOSE THE 1/2 POUND I GAINED I WILL LOSE MY MIND COMPLETELY.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 11:20

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Unhappy Chewing Gum

CALP Page 119

"Chewing Gum: A Sticky Business"

"When it comes to insulin release and the increase in cravings and weight gain that it can cause, it seems to make no difference whether your chewing gum is sweetened with sugar or with a sugar substitute. No matter what they contain, chewing gums appear to increase insulin release in two ways."

This section on chewing gum continues on to explain in further detail.
-------

Chris.... you can and you will find your own path. There is a way and we know you can do this.

Some of the changes I have made have helped me tremendously.
I gave up all chewing gums and mint type items. I quit drinking soda pop nearly a year ago. For now I have nearly eliminated all breads and bread type products. I don't do much dairy. I try very hard to eat healthy higher carb items in my Reward Meal. I have no desire for deserts and haven't had any in ages. I am active, I write everything in a journal..and I mean EVERYTHING that might affect my body (even a stressful day). I drink water almost exclusively. I take GTF Chromium, Vits E,C and B Complex. (and should add a couple of others). I also have to make sure that I DO get enough to eat each day or it backfires in my face.

These things seem to be working for me. Maybe some of the other folks can list some of the changes that are helping them on their path to wellbeing.

Libby
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 15:20

BF:

I have to agree with Libby. I also eliminated any sort of AS and do not use chewing gum, breathmints or anything that tastes sweet. Apparently my brain cannot distinguish between a tic tac and a hot fudge sundae . Chromium helps me tremendously, although I do know some folks who take it and can tell no difference. I never drink anything but water. I find that I have to keep my fats fairly high (not really sure how that plays into it) and mushrooms (high in chromium) seem to really help me with cravings, should I get ahold of something too high in carbs. Although for me the program is cut and dried, from person to person this is all just trial and error. There IS something out there that will work for you, CRIS. We're all cheering for you to be well and be happy!
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 17:10

BF:
Default THANKS

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE. I JUST GET SO FRUSTRATED SOMETIMES. I'LL TRY TO DO WITHOUT MY PRECIOUS GUM. MY MOUTH HAS A FUNNY TASTE SOMETIMES. AND I'M PARANOID OF THE BAD BREATH.

TODAY I STAYED AROUND 20 CARBS.
B-COFFEE,CREAM
L-TURKEY,CHEESE,SALAMI,SALADW/BL.CHEESE DRESSING
D-2 EGGS,PEPPERONI,CHEESE.

BEEN DRINKING THE WATER. I'LL HANG IN FOR AWHILE!
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 23:27

BF:
Default Check in

I did a fitday report today to see what I was doing when I lost weight. That's a cool feature that I hadn't used before. I was eating a LOT when I was losing weight. So I ate a LOT today.

B - HUGE omelete with mushrooms.
L - A can of tuna, 2 boiled eggs.
D - A LARGE hamburger patty and salad.
Mayo over everything. And a partridge in a pear tree.

While everyone else can add butter or cream to get their fat, I'm stuck with mayo. I WANT PITY!!

thank you

I'm gonna make more mayo and this time add garlic, that will be my new cream.

Did updates and patches on my computer for the last 2 days and I think I'm finally done.