Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 10:06
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I figured you hadn't thought about the financial aspect. And it isn't *you* making the assumption parents don't are -- its the people writing this type of legislation.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 10:08

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think it is fine for the government to collect actual statistics on kids' health. They can use the data to justify additional expenditures on gym and healthy school lunches. I think its a little hypocritical to want the government to change their ways but not provide even the most basic information to let them know how bad the situation is.

As for kids teasing, it is already going on so you aren't really creating a problem where there was none.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 10:20
Registered Member

If the government doesn't have actual statistics now then how is it they are throwing them around now?
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 10:41

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

In New York State where I live, kids have to have physicals to be on a sport's team. The school will do it for those without physicians. They also have to have physicals before certain grades. Vaccines are mandatory, which means a trip to the doctor too.

What I think would be a more valuable role for the schools is to ban high frustose corn syrup on their grounds!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 11:07

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 192/138/125 Female 5 FEET 3 INCHES
BF:I/Don't/Know
Progress: 81%

I think it's great idea if done privately. An improved curriculum sounds good to me. Being proactive may prevent some kids from an entire life of torment and illness. If it bruises a few parents' egos well...too bad. Obesity is epidemic and I am glad that they are talking about ammending their programs.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 11:58

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
What you would all find the most educational related to this I bet, is reviewing the precedent regarding children who had been classified with "attention deficit disorder". A 'disorder' which after many decades of serious study has still failed to find a single physiological evidence and is classified entirely behaviorially, despite quite a few studies demonstrating how merely differently classifying children caused school teachers and playground supervisors to also differently label them.

When a child is marked officially ADD, the school gets extra money for them as a special needs child of a sort. But the school actually does not have to DO anything for this extra money; they don't provide extra classes or extra physical time or anything else in return. They only get this money, however, if the parents will agree to medicate the child. This not only led to what is probably the most massive overmedication of humans, let alone children, in the history of man, but eventually to a situation where schools *depend* on the massive extra money they end up with when a substantial portion of the children are classified to obtain it for them.

This in turn led to a huge emphasis on getting kids classified this way, on schools recommending doctors they could trust to provide parents firm medicating recommendations, and more.

This page is worth reading. It is merely a collection of blurbs from from various internet sites but I think if you get to the end of it you will realize just how staggering the implications are for anything. http://tinyurl.com/cr0e

When money is involved, you *create incentive* for problems to be "found", for "indefinite treatment" (rather than resolution), etc.

Now what if the lowfat obsessed government decided eventually to prescribe "fat blocking" pills? Etc.? We know what that would do to health, as well as to the physical misery of the kid. The list could go on.

PJ

That post was brilliant. I read the entire link, and it is truly scary stuff. Thank you for taking the time to do all that searching.
Anecdotal, of course, but my nephew has been drugged since 1st grade. He's now 17, and a mess. Sadly, his parents are extremely intelligent, which proves to me how powerful the establishment is that they would get sucked into it without ever questioning it.

The nutrition propaganda is being pushed at my kids' elementary school and they're feeding them garbage.

Something will really have to happen to make it stop, but pointing fingers at the fat kids isn't going to help, especially when it's the very people pushing the propaganda that are the ones pointing the fingers.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 12:57

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I guess I look at this in a different light than many. I'm a mother of 2 school age boys and it's a fact that kids can be cruel, but as long as the weigh-ins are done privately, why would this cause teasing? I think that we too often want to protect and coddle kids always worrying about self-esteem and the child's psychological state, but how is watching them grow become more and more overweight to the point of obesity going to help them? "how dare someone monitor my child's weight?", well maybe someone has to because letting it go is only going to set them up for a lifetime of being obese. With my own children, while my instinct is to protect them, I'm also honest with them and make them understand that things they do now can and will affect them forever, so I'd rather the problem be stopped in it's track. If these weigh-ins will cause the food program to change and get rid of the junk, I'm all for it. My kids do not eat at school, I pack their lunch each morning. Also, while I know most parents do not intend for their child to become overweight, some just don't seem to mind. A good friend of mine buys her child whatever junk he wants. Everytime we go places together, she buys him cinammon rolls, donuts, candy bars, fast food meal combos, etc. and yes, they are very much overweight, including the 10 year old boy.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 13:43
Registered Member

Quote:
Also, while I know most parents do not intend for their child to become overweight, some just don't seem to mind. A good friend of mine buys her child whatever junk he wants. Everytime we go places together, she buys him cinammon rolls, donuts, candy bars, fast food meal combos, etc. and yes, they are very much overweight, including the 10 year old boy.
How will legislation change this?

As for the done in private and setting up for teasing, I experienced this throughout elementary school. It does happen.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 14:01
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Are all children getting weighed regularly, or just the overweight ones?
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 14:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
How will legislation change this?

As for the done in private and setting up for teasing, I experienced this throughout elementary school. It does happen.

Well, that's something that is the big question. Could the results of these weigh-ins trigger better and more in depth health classes, longer PE's, better lunch programs and maybe the children can actually teach the parents a thing or two, I just don't know, but one thing I do know is that doing nothing for the sake of the children is only hurting the children.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 14:28

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
If the government doesn't have actual statistics now then how is it they are throwing them around now?

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 14:57

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwoman75
but as long as the weigh-ins are done privately, why would this cause teasing?

because kids are cruel. all eyes will immediately focus upon the heaviest kids in the class, and the sneers of "i bet YOUR numbers will be so high they're not even on the chart!" and "what's your BMI, jenny, 15 million???"

and trust me... there are many school health professionals who are not capable of keeping their mouths shut. there are teachers who would, and have, gladly singled out kids and subtly endorsed additional teasing. not all teachers in the world are like amory blain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwoman75
If these weigh-ins will cause the food program to change and get rid of the junk, I'm all for it. My kids do not eat at school, I pack their lunch each morning. Also, while I know most parents do not intend for their child to become overweight, some just don't seem to mind. A good friend of mine buys her child whatever junk he wants. Everytime we go places together, she buys him cinammon rolls, donuts, candy bars, fast food meal combos, etc. and yes, they are very much overweight, including the 10 year old boy.

you're actually outlining two separate issues here... school is not the only source of food for kids (as you already know), so changing what the schools serve is only taking care of 1/3 of the issue. and yes, that's a step in the right direction. educating the parents is the other 2/3 of the issue. i don't think it's a question of "not minding", i think it's a question of not realizing (or not knowing) that the food they're feeding the kids is the problem.

i ran into something similar when i was growing up. mom cooked just about every meal and i ate school lunch. but she was constantly dissatisfied with my weight. the one time she took me to a nutritionist, i think she realized that SHE was the one who would have to change what i ate at home, and she wasn't willing to do that. so i got stuck between a rock and a hard case... i had little to no control over my food, and yet i was the one who was at fault for being heavy.

your kids are in a much better position to be healthy than the kids of the parents who just don't know any better, or don't want to "deprive" their kids of treats.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 15:45

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 192/138/125 Female 5 FEET 3 INCHES
BF:I/Don't/Know
Progress: 81%

I wasn't overweight as a child, but I was bullied mercilessly until junior high. I have two daughters as well. Perhaps the bmi being given to the parents and a list of dangers due to obesity, may open their eyes and take a stand at bettering their child's health. Teasing isn't warranted, but chances are if they are getting made fun of about being fat, the bmi probably didn't just make it visible. When I was overweight, I knew I was fat, and didn't need someone to tell me I was overweight. As a kid, it may be an eye opener to parents to change a few things. There are exceptions to every scenario, but overall, I think information and knowledge is power. I still think it's a good thing.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 15:58

BF:

Good points EMKAY. The kids that would get teased are already getting teased, so should we not do this because the overweight kids might get teased? IMHO, we need to do something and maybe this is the start. Worrying about the kid getting teased is doing nothing because these children will get teased regardless and are on a path of a very unhealthy life. Coddling them certainly isn't helping the problem and doing nothing isn't helping the problem but will only make things worse.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 16:57

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

We were weighed in school when I was young. I don't know why really. It was done in private, but afterwards we kids would get together and compare notes. I was too shy to disclose my weight, but still ended up feeling inadequate because it didn't match what other girls reported their weights as. Looking back I wonder how honest they were.