Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 09:25
Great seller! A+++++

Plan: mine
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 2'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

There's something else you can try if the rolls aren't behaving well. I found Wilton cake pans (mini ones) at Super Target and King Soopers. They make some awesome-looking buns.

No xanthan needed.

I think on the pans, what works when the batter starts to separate is to make piles with the firmer batter, then make wells in the middle and place the more liquidy stuff. It's like mashed potatoes with gravy. Then it bakes up more solidly.

Here are the Wilton pans.

Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 16:09

Plan: Dukan & Running
Stats: 195.2/155.4/155 Female 5'9.5"
BF:Jigglin'/less/firm
Progress: 99%

Hmm, my first batch of oopsies are in the oven, and I can tell already that they will kick the other version's butt! The batter didn't separate, and they are baking up evenly. With the old recipe, I always had a couple of dogs in each batch- too small, too thin, burnt.
These should help tremendously this week with my final 3 day surge of meat and egg- I'll have egg salad on oopsie, then tuna salad on oopsie, then egg salald on oopsie again!
I tried the onion sprinkles version someone tried on this thread, and they smell divine. Can't wait to try them!
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 19:25

Plan: PPLP Intervention
Stats: 206/160/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

I made more rolls and had better luck this time. However, I blended the yolk mixture completely (no lumps), and put it in the fridge while whipping up the whites. Then folded it in and it didn't fall apart. I left the splenda out also. Also, I set the timer to bake for 30 minutes, and then left the rolls in the oven for another 5-7 minutes before taking them out.

I am not eating these during the day, but I'm enjoying them in the evening. Last night I made the french toast, but I just dipped them in some heavy cream with one capsule of cinnamon (they were eggy enough, I couldn't stomach adding more egg, so saved a carb there, and I didn't add vanilla, so saved some carb there), fried them in butter and topped them with sugar free maple syrup, then topped them with a little whipped cream. They were fabulous!! If you don't have many carbs left in the day, this is a really good sweet treat in the evening, I had 2 slices all for about 3.5 carbs, and it was plenty filling.

Tonight I just heated up a roll, topped with butter, put a little Caramel Torani syrup on top and topped with whipped cream. Very simple, easy and absolutely delish!!

The other night I cut the oopsie into cubes, tossed them over heat with butter to coat and then threw them in a ziploc of granular splenda and cinnamon and had "dough-not" holes!!, they were delish!!
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 14:16
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Oopsie Challenge

In your honour, Cleo, I am issuing an Oopsie Challenge See this thread for details.

Made a really good pizza crust today...mmmmmm, pizza. The possibilities really are endless. My sister recently went gluten-free (and feels 100% better!) and really needs some good bread substitutes - these are perfect, and much tastier/healthier than the gluten-free breads you find in stores.

Cleo, you might just be canonized by the Church of Lowcarb for this. After you're dead, of course. Which won't be for a long, long time. If ever.
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 15:35
Great seller! A+++++

BF:

LOL, wayward!

You rock!

I might add a few of my own, too, if that's ok. I'm in the kitchen today, and have some new things to share. (I might also swipe a few of yours)...
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-08, 07:13
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I am all about the sharing

Anyone mind if I post some of the variations you've already come up with? I am all over the doughnut holes idea! (or as we call them, Timbits, after the delicious and now untouchable, for me, Tim Horton's version)

Which now has me thinking about croutons, for some reason...
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-08, 07:42
Great seller! A+++++

BF:

I tried the croutons. It was pretty bad. Think dry and eggy. I did try, though! They smelled superb...all the way to the trash can.

(I tried the cauliflower dough as croutons, too. Don't ask.)

Bread crumbs, though, from oopsies? Another story entirely. I have had some good things happening there, including a cheesecake crust I'm developing.
  #83   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-08, 10:06
Kerry

Plan: WW/Atkins
Stats: 368/266.5/199 Female 5'1
BF:M.O./O/chunky
Progress: 60%

If you add a 1/2 box of your favorite sugar-free jello (DRY)to the yolk batter, it really gives it a yummy flavor too, these are yummy just for a plain sweet treat.
  #84   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-08, 10:35

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Cleo and others, is there going to be one particular place where all the 'OOPsie' recipe variatons can be collected together so that someone (like me) will be able to find them easily? I find having to scroll through muliple pages of multiple threads confusing and I'm afraid I will miss my 'lifesaver' recipe if I miss a thread or a post somehow...

could someone consider collating them all into a sticky or page of links for easy access (will they all be on your blog, cleo?)
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-08, 10:42
Great seller! A+++++

BF:

deb-- I do have 90% of the recipes compiled on my blog along the right hand side according to types of recipes.

I try to keep adding new ones as they come up, but I like to ask permission when possible, since they folks who think them up have the right to tell me to go fly a kite. This means I'm not always as expedient at updating my blog as I'd like to be with the new recipes. At one point I thought I'd form a cooking-only blog, and then gave up that idea, since I'm too busy.
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-08, 11:28

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Hey -- these are really good! I never tried rev rolls because I'm not all that crazy for souffles. But when I read that these don't taste eggy and hold together well, I decided to give it a shot. I used less Splenda, though, because I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

I used two to make a warm roast beef and brie sandwich -- yum. I think the next sandwich will be warm roast beef, Jack or Havarti cheese, and roasted, peeled poblano chile.

Thanks Cleo! Thanks for answering my pm so quickly, too.

Last edited by bike2work : Sat, Mar-22-08 at 09:52.
  #87   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-08, 11:38
Great seller! A+++++

BF:

That sounds great, Allison! I love your use of cheeses.
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 11:18

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%
Default Almond butter oopsies trial

I'm here to report on my most recent oopsie test: almond butter in place of cream cheese. I used 6 tablespoons (3 fluid ounces).

These are unlike regular oopsies: they are thick and crisp, like meringues with nuts. They don't have the bread-like, flexible properties of cream cheese oopsies. They taste good, but ultimately, I'm not sure what to do with them but eat them straight up. They just don't have the flexibility to make sandwiches.

I hope that's useful information for anyone who was thinking of trying it.
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 14:15
Great seller! A+++++

BF:

Cool! It sounds delicious. I wonder if a low-carb cinnamon-roll-like frosting could be used to cover them and make them like dessert or breakfast buns?
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 18:30

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:

Ohmygoodness, did I ever mess up a batch of oopsies tonight!

I didn't follow my own advice to break the eggs into a separate bowl and scoop the unbroken yolk out with my fingers before putting the white in the mixing bowl, so you guessed it, after I had 2 or 3 egg whites in the big mixing bowl, I accidentally dropped a yolk in there, which of course broke on impact.

I tried to scoop it out, but there was so much yolk that I couldn't get out that I just tossed that whole mess in with the rest of the yolks. Then I got out 3 more eggs (making this a triple batch - I'd already intended to make my usual double batch), and once again throwing caution to the wind (I'm a slow learner), separated the eggs over the big bowl of whites again. No mishaps this time, and the 6 or 7 egg whites (I lost count) whipped up nicely.

I ended up tripling everything except the cream cheese - only used 8 ounces of that. I figured since I had so much egg white in with my yolks, surely I didn't need a full 9 ounces of cream cheese in there too, I'd never get it all to fold in. Besides, I didn't feel like getting out another box of cream cheese, just to have that 9th ounce.

Well anyhow, I should have probably just tossed the messed up egg whites in the fridge with their yolks to make scrambled eggs tomorrow, and started over, because it took a LOT of folding to get all the yolk mixture folded in, so the egg whites deflated quite a bit. The mixture was still frothy, but not enough to keep the mixture from spreading allll over the baking sheet.

I'd bought some of the mini cake pans the other day, so I did have 6 of those that aren't totally flat, but the rest of the oopsies cooked together with little "seams" between their miss-shapen selves, as they spread all over the pan.

They're flat enough to be used as wraps, but not quite big enough. I'm sure they'll be fine as french toast or very thin, very oddly shaped sandwiches.

If I ever deflate my egg whites so much again, I think I'll try spreading the batter in some big pie pans - at least that way they'd be more uniform in shape and wrap sized.