Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 16:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sylvie, please see your doctor. Cramping like that can be an indication of ovarian cancer. :\
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 20:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:

Thank you for the alert, Nancy. I had no idea that cramps could be a symptom. I will follow up.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-08, 05:32
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Oh! Have any of you tried Dr. McCleary's ideas for menopause?
http://www.drmccleary.com/

He says hot flashes are caused by energy shortages in the brain and recommends some supplements and MCT oil. He says the brain has a harder time using glucose and to supply it ketones instead, thus the MCT oil.

Here's his book: http://www.drmccleary.com/book/
While I support that idea the folk should actually buy and read Dr McCleary's book as it has lots of very detailed information on foods for healthy brains, (He's also a low carb supporter) I've summarised his chapter on the menopause here bear in mind it was 10 pages and I've cut it down to one so do understand I've left a lot out.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 16:35

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I use to cramp and bleed so bad when I was having trouble with menopause. I finally had to have a hysterectomy and that was the best thing I ever had. No more of those cramps.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 19:21

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'm 49, hope you don't mind me sneaking in here a little early. My Mom went into MP around 50, my grandmother 55, my sister 51. Anyway, I figure I'm probably well on the way.

Can you share with me some of the early warning signs you experienced before menopause? I'm just curious what to look out for. My male OB/Gyn doctor wasn't much help, he just wants to operate on my uterus for fibroid that don't really bother me.

From a guys perspective, a warning sign of menopause is when your 43 year old DW's idiot doctor says things that may be bothering here could be pre-menopause....and your charming bride of 20 years jumps on the freak out train and runs you (me) over with it about 40 times.....well, that is a warning sign of Menopause....

......sorry, I'll go away now...........
  #21   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 21:34
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
From a guys perspective, a warning sign of menopause is when your 43 year old DW's idiot doctor says things that may be bothering here could be pre-menopause....and your charming bride of 20 years jumps on the freak out train and runs you (me) over with it about 40 times.....well, that is a warning sign of Menopause....

......sorry, I'll go away now...........

Poor you.....and yes, you should go away now!!

All kidding aside, my mom had a horrible time in her menopause.....but I will tell you that she was nuts before it, it just made her crazy stuff more evident to others.

And it peri-menopause, not pre.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 09:21

Plan: Zero Low CArb
Stats: 170/147/137 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I am 51 Years old young. I get a few quick flashes lasting 20 seconds or less occasionally( twice a week). If I take 2 tbl of my Flaxseed oil I don't even get that. That's all no problems, no pain. Not an issue
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 08:33
Attitude is a Choice

Good info here for us.....

Quote:
Hypothyroidism in menopause — a whole-body perspective
http://www.womentowomen.com/hypothy...dmenopause.aspx
by Marcelle Pick, OB/GYN NP
Copyright 2008 WomentoWomen.com. All rights reserved.

I talk to women daily about hypothyroidism in my practice, and one thing I hear over and over in those who have been diagnosed is, I thought I was healthy. How did this happen? Many women with hypothyroidism are struggling with weight gain, fatigue, poor concentration, hair loss, even depression — and they want answers about how to feel better.

Research shows that at least 10% of midlife women have abnormal TSH levels. And it isn’t just a problem for women who don’t pay attention to their health — last year Oprah Winfrey, who’s extremely health conscious, shared news about her hypothyroid condition. The fact is, menopause and perimenopause is often a time when women see high TSH levels and are diagnosed with hypothyroidism, but few conventional practitioners talk about this connection. And even fewer offer solutions outside of prescription medications like Synthroid, its generic, levothyroxine, or Armour Thyroid to bring TSH levels down.

I know women have questions about their thyroids and they want answers. One way to start is by realizing the thyroid — the master of our metabolism — doesn’t act in a vacuum and we can only truly benefit if we stop treating it that way. My experience has shown me that hypothyroidism is rarely an isolated condition. There could be several factors leading to your thyroid disturbance, especially during the menopause transition, and these factors vary from woman to woman.

More at the link up top....good info for us who are in menopause or near it.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 09:09
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Excellent article Judy!
I'll be 51 in September, haven't had any hot flashes, night sweats. Always been a poor sleeper.
Periods went from 4 days to 7 days in the last year. Ovulated every two to three months this past year (ovulated this past month and the month before).
Grandmother went through the change at age 50, mom died before she had a chance.
Have had terrible pms for 15 years - that is still bad.
Take 3000 units of vitamin D, 5-htp, each day and bio-identical progesterone 2 weeks before period starts.
Think I did notice a difference after eliminating gluten (consumed it once in the last 6 weeks). PMS/PMDD/Peri emotional symptoms were cut by a third last month....also eliminated alcohol...that may have been the major factor.
Denise

Last edited by lcgrrl2006 : Thu, Jun-12-08 at 09:14.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 09:41
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcgirl
Think I did notice a difference after eliminating gluten

me too...although I am not totally gluten free...I am wheat free.

I too take mucho D3, 5 HTP and a good multi....lots of cal/mag and mag alone too. Salmon oil is in there too.

Good job on getting rid of the alcohol.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 10:05
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I didn't have any advance signs. I had a period in the month when I turned 50, March 2007, and then didn't have another for 7 months. Since then, I've had about 3 other periods, all with relatively light flow. I've had a few hot flashes, but once I got back to serious low carbing in 2008, plus adding flax seed to my diet, even the hot flashes stopped.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 13:08

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Seriously hot flushes, with sweat running down my back, every ten minutes or so every hour of the day and night, was my first sign of approaching menopause. That went on for about a month or so before they gradually dissapeared. They came back 3 years later. During that time I continued to menstruate regularly. Now I have hot flushes about once an hour, and I menstruate irregularly, say 3 or 4 times a year, extremely heavily.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-08, 13:32
Registered Member

Plan: LC/BSS
Stats: 359.4/342.5/180 Female 5'10"
BF:too much
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieK
The problem I've had recently is that for the past month since I missed my period I've had nearly constant and sometimes severe menstrual cramps -- but no period to relieve the cramps -- and other PMS symptoms, e.g. bloating and extreme irritability. I wish I could do something to alleviate this and maybe bring on the period, but I don't know what might help. If anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

Sylvie, I had that happen to me. Most miserable time it started while I was on vacation. The doctor finally prescribed medication to bring it on. Unfortunately I could not tell you what the medication was, it was over 10 years ago.
Steff
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 18:37

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

I'm not 50 yet but have been in perimenopause since my daughter was born 12 years ago. Recently, my periods have gotten even heavier where I have to wear two pads at a time but I do have fibroids which I refuse to get taken out. I figure why have the surgery again when they are just going to come back. Might as well wait for them to shrink with age.... Doctors recommend surgery because they are surgeons, IMHO. I had the surgery in my late 20's and by the time of my pregnancy they had all come back again and were the size of grapefruits, but they just watched them and I did fine.

Progesterone cream has helped me with the hot flashes and some of the other symptoms.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 14:33

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I use to have problem sleeping and also had trouble concerating.
Don't know if these symptoms are with all women but they were with me.
I never had much sweating problem.