Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#61   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 10:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/134.8/115 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 50%

All and all, it is a shame that the show does not use realistic methods to encourage the participants as well as the million or so viewers to make positive changes in their eating and exercise habits.

My daughter went to excessive lengths to lose weight, juice fasts and starvation pretty much, combined with exercise. She took them all to the extreme and yes, she did lose weight. She also developed gall stones which were attributed to her periods of starvation. So she lost even more weight when they had to remove her gall bladder.

There is no one right way to eat or exercise. It is a real shame tho that taking things to such extremes is so highly publicized and praised. It is wonderful that the contestants are getting a kick start, but are they really learning a realistic and healthy new way to live?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 10:22

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big__Al
??? I dont care to answer your silly little question so that must make it true!?!?!

umm ok here you go NO.

uh, not a silly question. But if your silly little answers are to be deemed valid, and not spin control, you might want to look at how many posts you've made previously on this board, and how many I have.

Oh, and how much weight I've lost on low carb...

Oh, and how your own posts read...

oh, yes, and how vehemently you're opposing any negative comments on a silly little show.

I am now going to ignore your silly little posts because they are, to me (as someone who does have some insight into PR) exactly that: PR spin. And if you are just a viewer and not in anyway connected to the show or one of the losers, are protesting too much (as Shakespeare noted).

Those of us who have struggled with weight loss, and those of us who have been successful can see something that's just manufactured for spectacle.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 10:24

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

#64   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 11:04
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

My single biggest complaint with the show is the way people are treated if they dont have a lose from one weigh in to the next. Weight loss fluctuates people!!!

Sure, some people may have been shown to binge and go off their diets, but some stick to the plan and just dont lose that particular week, yet are berated as being failures or something.

I dunno....it's like Kimmerspeak to me...
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 11:07
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
It's easy Nancy. We just quit our jobs, go on welfare, and donate plasma to pay for our gym memberships.

#66   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 15:06

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
According to Prevention, the Biggest Loser Diet is 1350 calories...
http://www.prevention.com/cda/artic...gest.loser.diet

ahhh sigh .... guess you have to only quote what you wanna read...

"if you work out vigorously three or more times per week, increase your daily calories to 1,800"

i guess you can take out of context whatever you want to twist to make your own point. that statement is made for people at home wanting to follow ALONG WITH the biggest loser contestants. according to that article, the contestants' daily diet is 1,350 calories, NOT 1,800.

face it, the show is unrealistic. the only people who have the time and money to constantly spend that much time in a gym and can have the kinds of meals prepared for them are the ones whose careers are dependent on their bodies. for the normal, average american, working a 50-hour week and raising 3.8 kids and 2.3 pets, it's not a sustainable process. and because of that, every single one of those contestants has and will continue to gain some of the weight back.

Quote:
Yeah I agree sounds bad.....but read the mans blog. He wanted to win so bad he did not eat or drink for days before the final weigh in. Well then after the show he gained the water weight back. Duhhh.

and this sounds acceptable to you??? sounds like an eating disorder in the making to me.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 15:25
Registered Member

Stats: 239/200/195 Male 6'5"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
uh, not a silly question. But if your silly little answers are to be deemed valid, and not spin control, you might want to look at how many posts you've made previously on this board, and how many I have.

ahhh I see.... since you have posted more on this board your opinion is worth more than mine?!?!? Yeah ok!

Am I the only one who has posted that they liked the show??? NOPE! But its true that I have kept posting, only because yes I do like the show and no I dont like seeing others post lies and rumors about it.

But no since Im the type that will stand up... I must be working for the show!?!??! hahahah Yes and Im also a lobbyist for the sugar industry!

Its called a debate people.....get a thinker skin. Funny how THIS forum is listed as.....
"This area is for heated debates of anti low-carb discussion and other arguments. If you are easily offended, please do not enter, as it is less moderated"

Wifezilla.....yes they do quit their job and leave home in order to be on the show. No thats not a realistice option for most. But its what these people have chosen. Its up to each of us to find our own way to succeed.

NO one.... not even me said you must like or watch the show....this thread was to debate the show.... thats what were are doing right?
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 15:30
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Just wondering why you haven't posted on any other topics? This certainly isn't the only controversial one. Not even an intro??
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 15:41
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
i guess you can take out of context whatever you want to twist to make your own point. that statement is made for people at home wanting to follow ALONG WITH the biggest loser contestants. according to that article, the contestants' daily diet is 1,350 calories, NOT 1,800.

face it, the show is unrealistic. the only people who have the time and money to constantly spend that much time in a gym and can have the kinds of meals prepared for them are the ones whose careers are dependent on their bodies. for the normal, average american, working a 50-hour week and raising 3.8 kids and 2.3 pets, it's not a sustainable process. and because of that, every single one of those contestants has and will continue to gain some of the weight back.

and this sounds acceptable to you??? sounds like an eating disorder in the making to me.

Im sorry did we read the same thing?? Where does it say that the contestants diets were 1,350?

I will quote it...
"Here's how to plan your meals for a 1,350-calorie day (if you work out vigorously three or more times per week, increase your daily calories to 1,800). "

So you wanna assume the they are referencing the contestants... ok lets. Then since we know that the contestanst work out more than 3 times a week then we have to assume they have the 1,800 calorie diet right?

Im not trying to be a smartass here, but lets be fair. If your gonna pull up a link and quote it, lets get it right. We can both read the article and pull away from it what we want.

Now people have posted that the contestants diets are unhealthy. Well this diet was created by a nutritionist. I would have to assume they know more that I do about diets.

Yes I read the mans blog. And yes It was unhealthy what he did in the end. I was not arguing that point...I posted it in fact. I was arguning about the comments on how he gained back 32 pounds right after the show ended....not from eating but from rehydration. Just trying to put the 32 pounds into context. YES the end weigh in makes the people do some stupid things...but its the game part of the show, they are tying to win money. I agree its bad.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 15:49
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natkins
Just wondering why you haven't posted on any other topics? This certainly isn't the only controversial one. Not even an intro??

Hi Im Al.

I just found the site while searching for recipes. I posted in the first thread that interested me. I have no time to read all the threads and post to em. Heck I have no advice to give anyway. This is only the second time I have tried Atkins.

As part of my new years resolutions, I am running a 10k in 2 months and I needed to get the weight down prior. I didnt want to hurt my knees training.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 15:52
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I would beg to differ that nutrionists know more.

Of course, I am not a doctor, and am not pretending to be a smarty pants, but if I met a nutrionist that tried to tell me high carb, low fat was the best thing for me (and trust me, many health professionals believe that) then I would have to say this nutrionist is sadly mistaken.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 15:59
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink

I am now going to ignore your silly little posts because they are....

Ahhh aint it grand to ignore people who disagree with you! I mean this isnt a discussion board is it?? And the best discussions are those where the head just moves in a north/south direction.

Im sorry but I just found it funny that you posted a question basicly saying that I work for the show!!! Then you post again saying I refuse to answer it!!
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 16:39

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble

Quote:
Im sorry did we read the same thing?? Where does it say that the contestants diets were 1,350?

I will quote it...
"Here's how to plan your meals for a 1,350-calorie day (if you work out vigorously three or more times per week, increase your daily calories to 1,800). "

So you wanna assume the they are referencing the contestants... ok lets. Then since we know that the contestanst work out more than 3 times a week then we have to assume they have the 1,800 calorie diet right?

no, we can't assume that. when a phrase is inserted into a statement via the use of parentheses, that indicates additional and aside information that is associated with but not directly related to the original statement. therefore the inserted phrase mentioning increasing calories to 1,800 is only relevant to those at home who work out more than three times a week. it's got no bearing on what the contestants actually consume.

Quote:
Now people have posted that the contestants diets are unhealthy. Well this diet was created by a nutritionist. I would have to assume they know more that I do about diets.

nutritionists are the ones who decided that the road to optimum health was via a high-carb, low-fat diet... the very same diet that has helped increase global obesity rates over the last 30 years. so you can understand why we're going to take their recommendations with a 50lb bag of salt.

Quote:
But no since Im the type that will stand up... I must be working for the show!?!??! hahahah Yes and Im also a lobbyist for the sugar industry!

it's one thing to stand up for and defend something you believe in. it's another to claim the weight loss those contestants enjoy is completely realistic and sustainable for life.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 18:44
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
no, we can't assume that. when a phrase is inserted into a statement via the use of parentheses, that indicates additional and aside information that is associated with but not directly related to the original statement. therefore the inserted phrase mentioning increasing calories to 1,800 is only relevant to those at home who work out more than three times a week. it's got no bearing on what the contestants actually consume.

hahahah ok lets talk punctuation now!

"when a phrase is inserted into a statement via the use of parentheses, that indicates additional and aside information that is associated with but not directly related to the original statement."

I agree 100%.... its additional information. 1,800 calories if you workout 3 or more times a week. 1,350 if you dont... the original statement.

ANYWHO heres the same article with different punctuation. Guess we will have to email the author and ask about the punctuation!

http://www.thespec.com/go/Health/article/321938
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 20:14
Great seller! A+++++

Plan: mine
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 2'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I think the show sucks. It makes fat folks into a freak show, with their male boobies flopping all over the place, and fat people sobbing about Twinkies.

For Chrissakes! It's nothing like the real world and it makes us rotund and gorgeous flobbery folks look like out of control, sweaty Supersized nut jobs.

I hate the show.
Closed Thread