Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 06:07

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 225/138/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
what if we used low-carb tortillas in Phase II instead of whole wheat to make pizzas or wraps occasionally?

A better choice would be to find a tortilla made from whole grains. Or maybe even try making your own using one of the many different flours (other than white/wheat) that are out there.

Quote:
If we wanted to bake something, could we use Carb Quick?

I've never used carb Quick before, don't even know what the ingredients are, but, as above, I would suggest maybe using a different type of flour (soy, chick pea, almond, etc...)

Quote:
Are sugarfree products always going to be ok?

I think for the most part sugarfree items are ok. It's when you get into the cookies and cakes and things of that nature that are sugarfree that you will run into issues. Again, it is the flour that is used, something that I aviod as much as possible. I have used the Murray SF shortbread cookies to make a crust for my chocolate marbled cheesecake and it turned out nice, but it is a lot harder to eat an entire cheesecake and much easier to eat way to many cookies on their own.
Here are some of the sf items I use/have used without a problem
-yogurt
-pudding
-jello
-fruit preserves
-ice cream/fudge bars/ice pops
-hot chocolate mix
-Crystal Light
-sf candies (chocolate/other hard candies)

You know, I thought I had more of a list than that. Guess my food choices HAVE gotten better w/ this way of eating Other than the yogurt and CL, I don't have these things all the time. Moderation is still key when using SF products.

Quote:
And most pressing...what are the best yogurt choices (because all I keep finding are fat-free with TONS of sugar, blech)? I've heard Fage is good but I'll have to hike up to Whole Foods to get that.

If you can find it in your area, Blue Bunny has a NSA line that is really good. When I can't get that I buy the Dannon Light and Fit NSA. I beleive the Dannon brand has a broader market, thus making it the easiest to find.

Quote:
Thanks, all. I'm sorry to have so many questions but am trying to build my little beach hut solidly.

No problem, Sass! I just hope I was able to answer some of them and make sense while doing so! Me w/o even half a cup of coffee in my system trying to answer questions is a lot harder than it looks!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 06:54

Stats: 375/309/185 Female 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I don't remember what the exact ingredients are but there is a product called "Flat Out Wraps" or something. they are squarish "tortillas". It seems when i was doing P2 the first time that they (in HUGE moderation....) were a better option than even the low carb tortillas. The flat out wraps have a higher fiber content, i know that.

I got mine at walmart btw.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 09:32
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sass
If we wanted to bake something, could we use Carb Quick?
Are sugarfree products always going to be ok?
And most pressing...what are the best yogurt choices (because all I keep finding are fat-free with TONS of sugar, blech)? I've heard Fage is good but I'll have to hike up to Whole Foods to get that

We do not use products like Carbquick as it is a highly processed food...Renee is right, we use whole grain products. It is also still flour!! Flour is something that we all need to face the reailty of, IMO!! It is highly addictive and needs to be seen that way. If I allowed myself to eat it daily, I would gain....period!!...even whole grain flour!! Please do not go that way...and for someone who is carbphobic, this is the kind of food that should have you shaking in your boots!! I feel very strongly about this Sass!!

Think of flour like this....flour+water = glue!! thats what we have going through our body each time we eat it!! Blech!!

I like Dannon Lite and Fit Carb and Sugar control yourts. It has 1 gram more of sat fat than SB allows...but it is made with splenda and that works for me. Plus I love the raspberry flavor, good for phase II. Once in a while I treat myself to a full fat Fage.

For grains, I mostly eat whole grain Wasa rye crispbreads. I can have 1-2 of these per day as a grain serving. The Kashi TLC bars also use whole grain and I can have 1/2 of a package, 80 calories, a day. Once a month, I reat myself to a bagel, whole grain of course!!

I make one exception to my rule with Dreamfields pasta. I am a pasta lover and whole wheat pasta does not make me happy but Dreamfields wprks for me. I only allow myself to eat it once in a while because it is processed flour...but once in a while is enough for me.

On the wraps, yes, a whole grain wrap is better than a low carb one.

Last edited by Judynyc : Thu, Jan-10-08 at 09:38.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 10:22
one day at a time

Plan: south beach
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
We do not use products like Carbquick as it is a highly processed food...Renee is right, we use whole grain products. It is also still flour!! Flour is something that we all need to face the reailty of, IMO!! It is highly addictive and needs to be seen that way. If I allowed myself to eat it daily, I would gain....period!!...even whole grain flour!! Please do not go that way...and for someone who is carbphobic, this is the kind of food that should have you shaking in your boots!! I feel very strongly about this Sass!! Think of flour like this....flour+water = glue!! thats what we have going through our body each time we eat it!! Blech!!

Judy, I AM quaking in my boots! Yikes and Blech! Ok, so we really are trying to keep the focus on whole, unprocessed foods...not just low-sugar ones. You'd think the book could be clearer about that, given that Phase II is listing (on the menu plan) cold cereals and whole-wheat tortillas and whatnot.

Renee and Camelle, I really appreciate the responses and advice!!! (And Renee, before your coffee even? You are too kind!!!)

Whew! I'm so glad y'all are here for advice. Thank you!!
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 10:25
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras
Judy, I AM quaking in my boots! Yikes and Blech! Ok, so we really are trying to keep the focus on whole , unprocessed foods...not just low-sugar ones. You'd think the book could be clearer about that, given that Phase II is listing (on the menu plan) cold cereals and whole-wheat tortillas and whatnot.

Renee and Camelle, I really appreciate the responses and advice!!!

Whew! I'm so glad y'all are here for advice. Thank you!!

Thats why I say that they (SB writers)got it wrong!!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 10:27
one day at a time

BF:

Yessssss. So when do you think those kinds of things should be added (when we're close to goal, which for me will be a loooooong time)?
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 10:36
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Yessssss. So when do you think those kinds of things should be added (when we're close to goal, which for me will be a loooooong time)?

Yes....or lets say when( not if) you break into Onederland.

Gettting a good solid plan without grains first, will help you in the long run.
Patience!
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 10:58
one day at a time

BF:

That sounds good! Grain-free 'til onederland! <--That should be a bumpersticker.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 14:39

Stats: 338/288/199 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

My SB story....

summer 2005 I decided to lose weight. I was over 200lbs and not happy about it/ Dress size 18-20. I kept on phase 1 for 4-5 months. I didnt have the internet at the time (was living on my own) and just figured it was okay to stay on it for that long. I had no plans of going to Phase 2.

I went on a vacation with friends and they had a bunch of junk... one slice of cheesecake set me back on my previous course of weight gain. It was awful. I look back on pics of that vacation and I Looked AMAZING. All I want to do is look like that again. I was a size 16, 180ish pounds and I looked great. I never want to be 120 and tiny, I love love love my curves.

I gained a lot more weight back then I lost... I'm up to 300, maybe a bit more, and feeling it. It's not even so much how I look that is convincing me to lose the weight, its how I feel. I have heart disease in my family as well, and I just dont want to die at 60 like my grandmother. My joints are hurting and its just not good. I am too young to feel this fat and old.

THis is the first day back on SBD. I am excited as well as craving a Pepsi. It is going to be a hard few dayhs, and I warned the men of my house to steer clear cuz I may get cranky! hehe.

I am so glad to have found this forum. I really look forward to having some support in my hard times. You are all an inspiration to me.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 18:31
one day at a time

BF:

Hi Synne: Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story. We're all in this together, and we can do it.

Hey, you could crack open an icy Diet Pepsi right now!

ps:I love your Jessica Rabbit avatar, too. (Is that who she is?)
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 01:36

Stats: 338/288/199 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Hi Synne: Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story. We're all in this together, and we can do it.

Hey, you could crack open an icy Diet Pepsi right now!

ps:I love your Jessica Rabbit avatar, too. (Is that who she is?)

Thanks! Yes its Jessica, I just love her.

I promised myself I would quit all sodas, I have to be strong. Besides I hate the taste of diet Pepsi. Maybe coke zero, but it's still not exactly healthy so I am going to try.

I currently have a twelve of Coke in my fridge and I keep telling my fiance to take it to work. I know I can control myself but hey, get it out anyways lol.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 06:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synne
Thanks! Yes its Jessica, I just love her.

I promised myself I would quit all sodas, I have to be strong. Besides I hate the taste of diet Pepsi. Maybe coke zero, but it's still not exactly healthy so I am going to try.

I currently have a twelve of Coke in my fridge and I keep telling my fiance to take it to work. I know I can control myself but hey, get it out anyways lol.

You can do it Synne! I used to drink sodas ALL the time, along with sweet iced tea When I started SB I switched to Diet Pepsi and drank too many of those too. What helped me make the transition was finding a flavor of Crystal Light that I really liked (the wild strawberry, tastes good and has caffeine ) and weaned myself off the sodas. Having a flavor made it a lot easier than if it had been plain water. Once I was drinking that all the time, instead of the soda, I started cutting back slowly on the CL so that now I drink plain water most of the day and the CL the rest of the time.

Good luck!
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 09:03
one day at a time

BF:

Wow, I'm really hungry this weekend. Don't want to eat more than I am because I'm not really losing much this week (and I'm still on Ph 1 and also wondering if I should I be nervous about such a slow loss in the beginning since everyone says it slows down even more in Ph 2). Logically, I know it's not a race, and our bodies lose at their own rate. But still can't help being a bit worried.

What do you all do when you feel like this? My first plan of attack is to drink more water...

Last edited by sassafras : Sun, Jan-13-08 at 09:08.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 19:59

BF:

Quote:
Wow, I'm really hungry this weekend. Don't want to eat more than I am because I'm not really losing much this week (and I'm still on Ph 1 and also wondering if I should I be nervous about such a slow loss in the beginning since everyone says it slows down even more in Ph 2). Logically, I know it's not a race, and our bodies lose at their own rate. But still can't help being a bit worried.

What do you all do when you feel like this? My first plan of attack is to drink more water...

If you are hungry, eat! I know that's easier said than done sometimes, esp. when you are wanting to see more of a loss come Monday (or whenever) morning. I still struggle with eating enough a lot of times. Just like everyone else here, I have my own food demons to contend with but, I am slowly (VERY slowly) learning how to listen to my body. So, if your body is hungry, do eat something. It can be something as simple as a few tomato or cucumber slices w/ a bit of cheese. doesn't have to be a full meal, just a couple of bites will sufice
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 21:34
one day at a time

BF:

Thank you! I tried to eat more veggies and added a string cheese today, and don't feel quite so ravenous. It's so hard to trust my body since I kind of feel like it is what got me into this mess in the first place. But I really WANT to trust it!

Hope you're all having a lovely weekend. Don't want to work tomorrow, myself.