Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 08:59

Plan: SBD
Stats: 170/169.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 2%

An update on that Tandoori Chicken recipe I tried for the first time last night:

The chicken was really flavorful and so tender and the salad was just perfect. Just skip the mashed chickpeas next time – Gross! I ditched them and whipped up some quick couscous for the non SBD’ers in the house.

It's a keeper!

I like this thread - it's great to see what everyone else is cooking and get a bit of inspiration from that. I'm going to try the chicken in herbs and parmesan soon!

~Jane
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 09:12
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Thats sounds good Jane!!

Yes, I agree with you on getting inspiration from what others are cooking.

Another aspect of this is that we all need to fit cooking into our lives! It is an imperative part of being successful because we do need to get away from convenience foods and eat fresh whole foods as much as possible.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 12:48

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 375/309/185 Female 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I just went to the store and bought the fixins for a big ole' pot of chili! YUMMMO.

AND because they were only 68 cents for a bag, i bought a bag of split peas....is that split pea soup ok for phase 1? aren't peas just about like corn when it comes to carb/sugar??? Just checking.

anyway it is supposed to get snowy/sleety here tonight sounds like a perfect night for a big pot of chili... and tomorrow too!
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 14:23
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelle217
I just went to the store and bought the fixins for a big ole' pot of chili! YUMMMO.

AND because they were only 68 cents for a bag, i bought a bag of split peas....is that split pea soup ok for phase 1? aren't peas just about like corn when it comes to carb/sugar??? Just checking.

anyway it is supposed to get snowy/sleety here tonight sounds like a perfect night for a big pot of chili... and tomorrow too!

Actually, Renee pointed out to me that split peas are on the bean and legume list which is OK for phase I.

Corn is a starchy veggie....
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 14:23

Plan: SBD
Stats: 230/201/165 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Whatch cookin today?

No cooking today,had pea soup in the freezer with large chunks of ham and
tonight is romaine lettuce w tomatoe,onions,dill pickle and 1 T homemade
green godess dressing. I din't put the anchovies in it didn't feel like the taste
but did put the avacado,mayo,lemon juice,green onion and garlic. Because of the mayo is the reason for the amt. but it will keep. My favorite dressing of
course is olive oli and fresh lemon.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 16:56

Stats: 225/138/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I have some chicken breasts in the oven now that smell yummy. I coated them in an egg wash, rolled in parm. cheese that I added ample amounts of italian seasonings to (basil, oregano, etc...) and then browned each side in a bit of olive oil before popping them in the oven to finish cooking. With it I'm having a salad w/ extra veggies thrown in (broccoli, onion, red peppers, tomato, mushrooms) w/ olive oil/vinegar.

Wish it would hurry up and cook already. The smell is making me HUNGRY!
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 17:03

BF:

MMMMMMMMM my "chili" smells sooooooo good. I hesitate to call it "chili" it's more like a spicy tomato/vegetable soup. It will be interesting to see what my husband thinks of "this version" of chili. But it sure smells yummy right now...!
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 07:17

Stats: 225/138/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Since I have a bit of time before heading out to work this morning, I decided to cook up a hot breakfast instead of my usual cottage cheese or yogurt. I'm glad I did! Taking a page out of Judy's book, I made an omlete with caramelized onion and smoked gouda Mmmm... what a great combination!
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 09:16
Attitude is a Choice

Thats sounds gooood Renee!!

I love to make an omelet with my chili inside!! Talk about stick to your ribs food....that thing fills me up for an entire day!!
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-08, 10:46
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelle217
this is one of my favorite recipes... only i like it BETTER as i made it tonight!!!!

The red is what i did to SB it....
Moo Shu Chicken (moo shu for you!!! he he he)

INGREDIENTS:
1 lbs. chicken breast - cut into 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick strips
1 tablespoon peanut oil for stir-frying (optional if using non-stick fry pan instead of Wok)
1 package coleslaw mix - with green and purple cabbage and carrots if you can find it I used 1/2 package
2/3 cup green onions I used 1 whole onion (only because that is what i had on hand)
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (use more if you'd like) I used 1 t. ground dried ginger (again, because i had it)
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water nope left this out
8 flour tortillas (8 inch diameter), warmed again left this out
1/3 cup hoisin sauce left this out

ADDED:
1 chopped zucchini
2 stalks celery
1 can of water chestnuts

Marinade: For me this became the "sauce"
2 tablespoons soy sauce - reduced sodium
2 tablespoons water (i used 1 cup, since i took the hosin sauce out of above)
1 tablespoon sesame oil - Olive oil works fine too (skipped this)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger (again used the dried ground)
2 teaspoons granulated sugar (used 2 Tablespoons of SPLENDA I upped the amt because i left the hosin sauce out)

PREPARATION:
Slice chicken into thin strips. In a medium bowl combine marinade ingredients and add chicken, tossing to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 10 - 15 minutes. (I skipped this because i wanted to use it as the sauce... probably still could have, but would have to make sure it got REALLY good and hot since if used as a marinade first, would have been on raw chicken didn't want to mess with that tonight...)

Remove chicken from marinade, discard marinade. (so i skipped this)

Heat wok and add peanut oil, or just heat large non-stick frying pan. Add chicken and stir-fry until it turns white...about 3 - 5 minutes. (I stir fried my chicken, onion, garlic, celery, zucchini for 3-5 mintues)

Added the "marinade" which for me was a sauce. Let it simmer for about 15 min

Add coleslaw mix, green onions, ginger, and cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened and bubbly. (added the cole slaw mix and water chestnuts just long enough to heat... i wanted there to be crunch)

To assemble...spread one side of each tortilla with 2 teaspoons of Hoisin sauce, spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture in center of each tortilla. Fold bottom edge up over filling. Fold right and left sides to center, overlapping edges. Makes 8 wraps. (skipped this... ate it out of a bowl...)

(yes, the cole slaw had about 2 baby carrots worth of shredded carrots in it... i didn't pick them out... even though those are fine in phase 2 and im in phase 1..... im still calling it a "perfect phase 1" if my big CHEAT of 2 weeks is 1 baby carrot... i think im ok)

I thought that I'd put this here Camelle!!
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-08, 10:53
Attitude is a Choice

I had two packs of turkey cutlets sitting in my fridge and had to cook them and did not feel like grilling so.....I wanted to sautee them with a crust.

As you know, I do not eat a lot of grain so I do not keep bread around to make crumbs. A few months ago, I did this with fried onion rings in the food processor with dried mushrooms and Parmesan cheese and that came out really delish...but I did not like the fact that fried onion rings were made with white flour....booo-hissss

So I took 2 of my Wasa hearty rye crispbreads and broke them into smallish pieces and put that into the processor with dried mushrooms and dehydrated onion flakes and should have put in more spices but didn't and let it rip!

I put the cutlets into an egg wash, then dipped in almond flour, then into my concoction. I sauteed them on high in canola high heat oil, 5 minutes on each side. Delish! This is a phase II idea.
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-08, 11:45

BF:

Great Idea Judy!!!! i can almost smell them from here! those sound YUMMY!!!

I cooked a whole chicken last night... just simmered it in water and spices. I'm going to pick it off the bones, and make a big batch of chicken and veggie soup..... with LOTS of garlic and spices... HOPEFULLY it will help my ICKY COLD i caught this week. (no, no noodles!!!)
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-08, 11:56
Attitude is a Choice

hmmmm...I love chicken soup!

I've started to make it tiwht a mix of skinless and boneless breats and thighs...thigh for extra flavor. I suatee them first after I cut them into 1" square pieces and find that the pre-cooking of the chicken before they go into the soup, gives it a much richer flavor!!

I also cut up parsnips and turnips ( both phase II veggies)into it for even extra flavor....along with onions, carrots (phase II) and celery. Fresh Dill and parsley too.

I had my last bowl with dinner and need to make a new pot.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 17:24

BF:

I made a big pot of chicken vegetable soup.

I cooked a whole chicken with a little celery and onion and water. And then stuck it in the fridge overnight. So the fat would separate.

Took the fat off the broth, and "picked" the chicken. Taking the meat off. I left it in big chunks. Just made it seem "heartier".

Added the chicken back to the broth. And put a bunch of veggies in it. Mostly cleaned out the veggies from the week.
So my soup has: Onion, Celery, Frozen Green Beans, Carrots, and some spices (don't remember what all i grabbed....)

Then i simmered it. for an hour or so. It smells SO GOOD.

(yes, I know the carrots aren't "phase 1" but i had a TON of them, that really needed using. I made the "judgement call" that i could add some carrots back today... it is day 11... carrots haven't ever been a problem for me in the past.... so we'll see).

**also I cooked some noodles in a separate pot of water. And my "boys" can add noodles to their soup**

YUM!
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 17:49
Attitude is a Choice

We are cooking twins today Camelle!! I am cooking a pot of chicken veggie soup too. I use 2 qts of low sodium broth from cartons to help. I also use the soup greens bag of veggies: onion, leek, celery, turnip, parsnip, carrots...so my soup is definitely phase II. Also chopped up parsely and dill into it for extra flavor. and a bunch of bay bella mushrooms.

I cooked cut up breasts and skinless thighs first. I use "Better than Boullion" from the jar as that is where my soup gets salted.

My house smells gooooood!!