Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#61   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-07, 15:14

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

Hi Everyone! I was adhering to IF a few months ago and stopped as I could not take the horrible ketone breath - in the year and a half I have followed this WOE (Atkins), I never experienced any ketone side effects, with the exception of the sticks turning pink :-) At any rate, I am going to give it another shot as I have gained some weight and want to lose a few pounds by the end of the year. We just finished dinner and hence, my fast has begun .... wish me luck! Jill

P.S. I cannot recall - how long should it take me to get back into ketosis? I have been out of ketosis forever (not cheating though) .... I cannot remember how long with IF. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-07, 20:13

Plan: low carb
Stats: 160/131.8/116 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default day 2

hi Jill. this is my second day so looks like we're in this together ; ) Good luck to you. I am loving it so far! you mentioned ketone breath, so i will try to be prepared for that! and i should probably get some ketosis strips, but couldn't find them in the grocery store last time. where do they stock them?? So, what table are you planning on? I'm experimenting with 19/5 right now from 2-7pm, and it seems like too long of a food window for me. i'll give it a couple weeks and see how i do. Good luck to you, darling.
msalicia
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-07, 20:45
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I saw a toon in the paper:
Quote:
Two sharks looking over the bathers on the beach; one asks the other "hey Mac, what's the latest diet these days?" Mac replies "last I heard it was low-fat" The other shark exclaims "well it ain't working!"
I had a good dinner tonight, left overs: cold chicken, fish fillets with red sauce, deviled eggs, roast pork fat and homemade vegetable soup then hot cocoa with nuts.

I just wrapped a pound of pork belly [80% fat 20% lean] in foil to bake over the coals for tomorrow's dinner as soon as the fire dies down and before bed
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-07, 23:06

Plan: Low Carb/Gluten Free/IF
Stats: 310.0/302.2/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Welcome Jill and Alicia--I love how this "family" is growing!

So I was craving tuna and pickles today, and I made a big bowl with some mayo and seasonings--and after my daughter and granddaughter convinced me to give some up so they could have sandwiches, I still had plenty left and it was nummy!

It's nice when everyone eats (almost) the same thing---this happens when I make up egg salad as well...so I always make more than I can eat.

Ruth
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 04:22

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

Kb,
May I ask which walden farms dressing you use the most?
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 06:39

Hi! Last time I adhered to IF I did a 2-hour window at first and then expanded it to a 5-hour window. Given this is day one and I last ate at 6pm last night, I am going to shoot for a 22-hour fast and a 2-hour window today (I was one of those people who did not have trouble jumping right in without weaning myself into a IF lifestyle). I will have to see how it goes. The only thing I am doing different this time is adding my morning coffee. Last time, I literally had no calories during my fast. However, I need to devise a plan I can live with; hence, I am sitting here with my morning coffee that has 1/2 and 1/2 and liquid splenda in it. We will see - let's keep each other motivated! Jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalicia
hi Jill. this is my second day so looks like we're in this together ; ) Good luck to you. I am loving it so far! you mentioned ketone breath, so i will try to be prepared for that! and i should probably get some ketosis strips, but couldn't find them in the grocery store last time. where do they stock them?? So, what table are you planning on? I'm experimenting with 19/5 right now from 2-7pm, and it seems like too long of a food window for me. i'll give it a couple weeks and see how i do. Good luck to you, darling.
msalicia
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 07:29

Plan: Atkins-ish/IF-ish
Stats: 385/278/180 Female 5'10"
BF:something, maybe
Progress: 52%

I'm planning another IF day today.

There was a post in the research section about Newsweek's list of most fattening holiday foods -- and today I'm going to have shrimp wrapped in bacon for my brunch. I'd forgotten I have some shrimp in the freezer...and I have some slab bacon I buy from a local farmer, so I'm good to go. 3 or 4 of those babies, some steak and sauteed mushrooms sounds like a plan to me.

I'm going out for linner with a close friend, so I'm not sure what that will be yet...today will probably end up as an 18/6 sort of day, depending on when we go and where we'll be served. But it wILL be LC.

I hung upside down for a couple of minutes this morning. Did my back some good, very nice stretch.

Happy Sunday, all!
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 13:13
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrH
However, I need to devise a plan I can live with; hence, I am sitting here with my morning coffee that has 1/2 and 1/2 and liquid splenda in it. We will see - let's keep each other motivated! Jill
Yeah, its freezing today and cold water even with cider vinegar was unappealing; so I am having coffee with a little cream, special dark cocoa powder and coconut oil-- ill still be hungry [starving] as usual when 4 PM rolls around
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 15:27

Plan: PP/Atkins/Transformation
Stats: 305/264/220 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Karen ...
Total: 737
Fat: 45 401 58%
Carbs: 40 78 11% (net 20)
Fiber: 20 0 0%
Protein: 54 214 31%

You knock me out with those numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRabbit
Some of the effects of IFing are showing in these posts---eating less on days when you do eat more meals or arent' fasting that day, having the discipline to have a small treat from the dessert table this time of year instead of gorging, being able to be around candy and treat bowls at work and not eating half of it yourself, and not feeling all deprived and upset about it.

A bunch of us made a committment right around Thanksgiving to stay posting here and stay on this thread even if we messed up around the holidays, so I wanted to extend that out to all of you newer friends as well.. seeing this as a way of life, we all want to be the successful percent who whether we "blow it" on Christmas dinner or not, continue right after that to make good choices again for our health into the new year, and don't come back to this site in March saying we gained it all back and want to start again....

The holidays will come every year----learning how to enjoy them without them destroying you is a good thing!

Ruth

A great way of saying it.
I went to the Christmas Dinner/Charity Pie Auction last night and it was still an under 50 carbs day at around 1800 cals. I had planned on getting a mincemeat pie but there were none and I ended up bidding on a Black Forest Cake which I won. We had part of it with guests today along with a Baked/Broiled Salmon . Our guest mentioned she had a salmon this summer sprinkled with sugar crystals which sounded odd but we decided to try it. I don't usually like mixing sweet with meat other than the mincemeat pie which is more like some extra fat in a carby pie.
We covered the salmon with lime juice and sprinkled with Seasoned Salt, Cumen, Paprika and then Erythritol, baked for 45 minutes and broiled for the last 10. The sugar caramelized under the broiler and it turned out great. A little crispy on the top edges but with a slight lemony sweet edge. We sent the uneaten cake home with our guests and we all end up happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confession
Ottawa- Loved the cartoon.

Thanks.
I found a few on fasting that just need a small tweak to fit IF. This one relates to longer fasting windows and larger meals.

Today was an 18/6 and will be under 1800 but higher on the carbs due to the cake. I have 3 or 4 other little treats planned for the holiday will use larger fasting windows to cover those as well.

Last edited by Ottawa : Sun, Dec-16-07 at 15:38.
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 16:07

Plan: Atkins-ish/IF-ish
Stats: 385/278/180 Female 5'10"
BF:something, maybe
Progress: 52%

We went out for Greek Food. mmmm...lamb. We each got an appetizer and shared them -- saganaki (OPA!) and prasso tigania, which is marinated pork sauteed with onions, leeks & mushrooms, and then I had arni ala politiki (sp?) which is a lamb shank slow cooked in a lemon egg sauce with artichokes, celery and carrots. I skipped the carrots, but sucked the bones for the marrow. mmmm...

I will admit that I missed the calamari. This restaurant makes killer calamari with a spicy dipping sauce...but it's not the last time I will ever have the chance to eat some and my health and goals are more important.

I'm going to make cocoa around 4:30 and then close my window.

Tomorrow it's back to a three/four meal schedule. Tuesday I fly out to SF to celebrate the holidays with my family. I'll be sticking as close to LC as I can manage...but I won't be in control of food purchasing or prep, so I'm prepared for the possibility of being somewhat off plan for that week. I may slide some IF in there if I'm up to it.

Off to make cocoa and do laundry.
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 16:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa
We covered the salmon with lime juice and sprinkled with Seasoned Salt, Cumen, Paprika and then Erythritol, baked for 45 minutes and broiled for the last 10. The sugar caramelized under the broiler and it turned out great. A little crispy on the top edges but with a slight lemony sweet edge. We sent the uneaten cake home with our guests and we all end up happy.

That sounds great Ottawa. Our Christmas ham is glazed with erythritol,ginger, and lemon zest, with a bit of glycerine to help the glaze 'stick' to the meat. Oops, any excuse to mention erythritol .

Stuart

Last edited by kneebrace : Sun, Dec-16-07 at 19:27.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 16:59

Well, I made it through day one without a problem. I broke my fast with a small piece of cheese at 3pm (21-hour fast) and it is now closed (6pm). I think this could work for me .... I am going to plug my numbers into fitday and see what the outcome is. I hope everyone is doing well!
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 17:42

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 137/127.6/125 Female 5'5"
BF:24.5/23/20
Progress: 78%

I had a little gathering at my house last night with a few of my girlfriends and served all my LC dishes. They're all "healthy" eaters over all, and they all LOVED what I served and couldn't believe it was all LC and so yummy! I ended up photocopying all the recipes for everyone.

I made chicken pizza crust topped with artichokes and parm cheese, and another with a roasted red pepper spread with parm cheese...AWESOME! check out this recipe, called "pizza crust, almost no carbs", it is sooo good!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=264996

I also made rosemary foccacia bread (1-minute flaxseed muffin) with a balsamic oil to dip the bread in. (ended up making 2 more, it went so fast) And I made curried shrimp kabobs, and "ugly green beans", and some cheese and nuts. We had a few bottles of Merlot and Shiraz. Then we all "had" to have something sweet, so I made us each a "Chocolate mock danish", recipe from Elle. It's basically a flourless chocolate pudding cake that has a gooey chocolate sauce in the center. It's heavenly, like a molten cake. OMG!

My father always makes his homemade pizza on Christmas Eve, so I am going to bring this chicken pizza...of course I'll need to make alot, because everyone will want some!
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 21:22

Stats: 294/201/150 Female 5'6'
BF:got that
Progress: 65%

It has gotten so, so busy with the holiday coming in little over a week. Wrapped gifts today till I thought I would run screaming from the room . Been sticking close to LC food plan with IF'ing to go along with it. Having no problems yet, despite it being the holidays. Bought Christmas cookies (ones I don't particularly like) this year instead of making them so I could better resist temptation...seems to be working so far. I will make everyones' favorite cookie (chocolate chip) but not till it's closer to Christmas and more people are over to make sure they get eaten up quickly (by other people).
I Have Found Another Inflatable Decoration!! It seems the people down the street bought this huge inflatable of an igloo with moving polar bears and penguins popping up from inside. I must admit I had serious inflatable envy .
But, I was finishing up my shopping yesterday and the store was just putting the remaining inflatables on sale at 65% off...I got a 6 ft. long plane with a waving Santa as the pilot and the propeller spins and the whole thing lights up. I am going to set it up so it looks like it is circling the Snoopy/Woodstock inflatable snow globe. Let's see the guy down the street beat that <smug smile>. See how the holidays brings out the child in all of us .
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 21:44

Stats: 160/131.8/116 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 64%

day 3- today my window was from 1:45-3:45. It was easy. i can't believe how much i enjoy eating this way. i think it's because i allow myself coffee and an americano with half and half, and davinci sf syrup when i'm fasting. i'm not sure if i should or not?! but, other then that i'm feeling great. i appreciate the post about sticking to the thread even during the holidays, whether "messing" up or not. i think it keeps us focused, driven, and always moving forward in our goals. thanks for that, and i know i will certainly keep you all posted no matter what. plus, i think i would miss you all : ) my food today is as follows: 1 atkins bar, ham and cheese roll-ups, and two coffee's w/ cream and sf sweetener. probably around 14c total. i'm not quite sure how to use "myplan" yet because i can't find the food i eat in it. like the atkins bars, where is that!? anyways, i'm sure i'll figure it out, but for now i'm just keeping a journal. also, i'm open to have the same kind of plan with someone if you're interested. i'm open for anything, but love the motivation, and accountability. so if anyone is interested ?? : ) I like the idea of a 2 or 3 hour window, and love to delve into it with both feet. hope all is well, and please let me know how you're doing!
Closed Thread