Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 08:43

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
My body loves to gain weight. It's done it many times in the past.

Just a quick update. After 26 days I have overeaten by 47,268 calories. Enough extra that I should have gained about 13.5 pounds so far. I am up 1 pound.

I think Taubes is absolutely right. Obesity is not caused by eating too many calories and/or sedentary behavior.

http://magicbus.myfreeforum.org/ftopic846-0-asc-0.php

I'm half way through the Taubes book, and this seems to be where his research is heading, and where I'm heading, diet-wise, as well. The was a very informative experiment JL. How do you feel?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 09:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ok, so... here's the thought racing around in my mind. Could we make a paleo, high fat weight loss diet? It is hard because everyone eating high fat is doing it with milk.

I was thinking of using coconut milk supplemented with coconut oil and whirred in a blender with berries.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 09:55

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Yummmm!

I think it would be easy to do Paleo High Fat if you could just buy fat at the store. Will butchers sell you just fat? (Am I the only one that microwaves chicken skin for a crunchy treat?)

Last edited by Wifezilla : Thu, Dec-27-07 at 10:02.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 10:00
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Where I live you can buy just fat -- I have purchased both beef and pork fat. They do tend to get upset if you want to buy a lot of pork fat -- say 20+ pounds of it -- because people tend to use it to illegally bait an area to kill bears. (I would assume that isn't an issue in most places.) At this time of year I occasionally see packages of suet being sold in the meat department.

I generally talk to the butcher a few days in advance, just like ordering a special cut of meat. No one bats an eye.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 10:18
Experimenter

BF:

Well, ok, acquiring the fat isn't the problem. But I can't quite think of a way to use it to ensure 80% of my calories are from fat though.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 10:29

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Pemmican maybe?
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 14:29

Plan: a mixture
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ok, so... here's the thought racing around in my mind. Could we make a paleo, high fat weight loss diet? It is hard because everyone eating high fat is doing it with milk.

I was thinking of using coconut milk supplemented with coconut oil and whirred in a blender with berries.

I eat extremely high fat and don't use dairy, I eat coconut oil, turkey skins, lamb marrow, organ meats, avocado, fatty fish, ect. I do use ghee, which I guess wouldn't be counted as paleo? but it really isn't hard, really upping the coconut oil alone would be a good weight loss strategy
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 16:27
Experimenter

BF:

I was thinking today:

Avocado
Pate
Coconut milk smoothies
I have to avoid nuts unfortunately, otherwise I'd use them
Sardines in oil
Salads with lots of oil
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 16:56

Plan: none
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 5'5"
BF:

A good high fat meal I have is a smoothie with berries, leafy greens, 4 or 5 raw eggs, and lots and lots of olive oil (7+ tablespoons) - the good kind, Bariani. I'll also include some coconut oil or raw cream. Problem with coconut oil is if I use frozen berries, the oil gets cold and just breaks into small pieces - but adding some warm green tea helps prevent that.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 17:11

Plan: none
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 5'5"
BF:

Quote:
This immediate effect sounds more like water retention to me with all those extra carbs from the milk.

Unlikely... if I sans the cream and isocalorically up the milk (or another food) I don't get the same effect. When I eat lots of raw cream or butter my facial fat increases, it gets nice and full - a welcome appearance, after years of having a very drawn face. I wonder if it's the palmitic acid, and maybe red palm oil would have the same effect.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-07, 11:53

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteusOne
I'm half way through the Taubes book, and this seems to be where his research is heading, and where I'm heading, diet-wise, as well. The was a very informative experiment JL. How do you feel?

I feel wonderful, other than the fact that I am almost constantly feeling very full and bloated. The only time I feel "normal" is first thing in the morning. Then, it's eat, eat, eat.....

Actually, for these last few days of the experiment I am returning my calories to a more normal level.....around 2500 per day. I want to give my body a chance to futile cycle out any excess energy. I'll post final results in a few days.
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 09:25

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Maybe not impossible, but very difficult. I am doing an experiment of my own right now. For 30 days I am going to eat as close to zero carb as I can and overeat enough so that I should gain at least 15 pounds of fat.

Yesterday was actually day 7. I just weighed myself this morning and I weighed exactly the same as last saturday morning. A friend from another forum just finished the same experiment. After 30 days of overeating by about 1200 calories per day, she gained nothing.

There is more to it than the insulin factor. Fat is stored in the body as triglycerides. The glycerol molecule that forms the backbone of the triglyceride molecule comes from glycerol phosphate, which is a product of glucose metabollism. So yes, even on zero carb, the body will burn a small amount of glucose. But apparently not enough to make much difference. Gary Taubes covers this in Good Calories, Bad Calories. I believe it is on pages 388-389.

Yesterday was Day 30. I consumed a total of 114,659 calories. Assuming a daily requirement of 2,200 calories this means I took in an excess of 48,659 calories. Divide that by 3,500 and I should have gained 13.9 pounds.

I weigh exactly the same this morning as I weighed 30 days ago. It's clear that excess calories alone will not result in fat storage.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 10:20
Experimenter

BF:

Wow, that's amazing.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 10:53

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Yesterday was Day 30. I consumed a total of 114,659 calories. Assuming a daily requirement of 2,200 calories this means I took in an excess of 48,659 calories. Divide that by 3,500 and I should have gained 13.9 pounds.

I weigh exactly the same this morning as I weighed 30 days ago. It's clear that excess calories alone will not result in fat storage.
Now you should try consuming the same number of calories, but from the food pyrimid recommended sources.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 11:32

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Now you should try consuming the same number of calories, but from the food pyrimid recommended sources.

My guess is that he'd still be hungry!