Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-07, 19:30

Plan: none
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Jono, do you feel distress from your belly 'fat' changing?

No, I'm pretty sure what I've observed is increased belly fat with the foods I mentioned.

The most striking thing is recently when I started consuming lots of raw cream.

I had been getting most of my calories from olive oil, coconut oil, raw steak, egg yolks, berries and leafy greens. It was about 3000 calories a day, almost half of which was from the olive oil and coconut oil.

Then for a couple days I stopped eating all but the berries and leafy greens, and began drinking lots of raw milk and cream. I'll mix 1/2 gallon raw milk with a pint of raw cream and drink that daily... still about 3000 calories. The result, basically over night, was my belly flattened out, and there was a dramatic increase in subcutaneous fat. My face became very full and soft, and everywhere from my chest to my upper legs gained nearly an added centimeter of subcutaneous fat. I feel much warmer now especially when going for a late night bike ride.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-07, 19:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
Yeah, when first started changing my diet, it was high fruit, and I thought maybe the big belly I was growing was from swollen intestines or something. I had adopted high fruit almost over night but it took a couple months before the added belly mass really became apparent, and I didn't have any problems like gas or irritation. Also the belly seemed to respond to exercise, going down if I did long periods of aerobic exercise.

I thought it was fat but it was really something else going on. Now I check the area right over my ribs for fatness. There isn't much left to pinch there any longer. Still plenty of fat below the belly button (hips, thighs) but that stuff is super hard to lose. It is probably just my genetics to ensure a good supply of fat for conceiving and breast feeding. Nevermind that I am nearing menopause!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-07, 22:38

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
I've done a lot of experimenting with different foods and diets over the past few years... high olive oil, high saturated animal fat (dairy), high nuts, high fruit (low fat)...high grains (moderate fat), high coconut oil, coconut cream. It's probably not healthy to do so much experimentation but it beats the alternative of eating the wrong diet for a lifetime.

Being a tall and fairly thin guy, it's easy for me to see how different foods affect my body.

My observations have been as follows:

Coconut oil definitely has very little contribution to body fat, rather it is quickly burned and actually seems to decrease visceral adiposity. But coconut cream (contains fructose and glucose) seems to contribute to visceral fat.

If there is fructose and/or glucose in coconut cream, it was added in the the factory. Nataural coconut milk shouldn't contain fructose or glucoes.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 00:06

BF:

The coconut cream I bought was from tropical traditions and is made from whole coconut (and dehydrated) so it should contain the same amount of sugar as mature coconut flesh. Not a whole lot of sugar but still it's very sweet tasting almost like cookie dough... I think because coconut is one of those foods with a high fructose content and fructose is sweeter tasting than glucose.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 01:06
Experimenter

BF:

There's very little sugar of any kind in coconut cream. 1 cup of coconut cream has 6 grams of carbs 2 is fiber. I don't see a break down of sugars so even if it is its not very much.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 03:37

BF:

I cant find the sugar breakdown either though I've read coconut is fructose heavy like apples and pears. It wasn't a scientific experiment for sure, there could have been any number of confounding variables, but my observation was that coconut oil was totally non-lipogenic while coconut cream was somewhat lipogenic.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 08:24

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Well glycerol also comes from dietary fats themselves, which are already in the form of triglycerides before being digested. But maybe the excess carb intake will increase available glycerol phosphate in adipose cells to increase fat storage. If I sound like I know what I'm talking about I really don't

That's very interesting. If no weight gain occurs, then the next question is what happens to all those calories. A primal diet guru named Aajonus Vonderplanitz thinks lots of raw fats are needed for detoxification... to replace all the lipotoxin laden and cooked/oxidized fats in the body with clean fats. Could be that a zero carb diet allows more excretion of lipotoxins like dioxins and old oxidized fats.

Dr. Mike Eades has explained what happens to all the extra calories. Let me see if I can find it.

Quote:
have a question that may be related to this.

On several low carb forums right now, there is a debate going on about what happens to the extra fat calories if carbs are kept extra low so that insulin is kept low. Some say it will be stored as fat anyway, others say it will be burned as heat and still others say it will be excreted. One member even did near-zero carbs and very high fat for a week (4500 calories instead of a normal 2500, with an average of about 80-90 g of protein). He lost a pound off of his already lean physique.

So, where does that extra fat go? Is it excreted? The detractors say that fat is completely digested before reaching the colon but I am not sure. If it is excreted, could you go ultra high fat, zero carb for a week or so and get the same detox results as the cosmic pizza grease?

Quote:
Hi Ryan–

Your comment raises an interesting question. Where does all the excess energy go?

I’ve had a number of patients and countless letters from readers who have had the same experience. They consume a ton of fat, but don’t gain weight…or even, as with the guy you described, lose a little. Mostly the letters we get are from people who complain that they are following our diet to the letter, yet not losing weight. When we investigate, we find that in virtually every case these people are consuming huge numbers of calories as primarily fat. We always ask them if it doesn’t strike them as strange that they’re eating as much as they are, yet not gaining.

In order to lose weight, one must create a caloric deficit. This can be done in a number of ways. People can burn more calories by increasing exercise; they can eat fewer calories; or they can increase their metabolic rate. Or they can do any combination of the above.

Most people going on a low-carb diet decrease their caloric intake. A low-carb diet is satiating, so most people eat much less than they think they are eating even though the foods they’re consuming are pretty high in fat. Some people, however, can eat a whole lot on a low-carb diet, and, can in fact, eat so much that they don’t create the caloric deficit and don’t lose weight. But the interesting thing is that they don’t gain weight either. They pretty much stay the same. They are eating huge numbers of calories and not gaining, so where do the calories go?

First, I don’t think they go out in the bowel. If they did, people would have cosmic pizza grease stools whenever they ate a lot of fat over a period of time, and they don’t. And a number of studies have shown that increasing fat in the diet doesn’t increase fat in the stool.

Eating a very-low-carbohydrate diet ensures that insulin levels stay low. Unless insulin levels are up, it’s almost impossible to store fat in the fat cells. With high insulin levels fat travels into the fat cell; with low insulin levels fat travels out. So, it’s pretty safe to say that the fat isn’t stored. So what happens to it?

The body requires about 200 grams of glucose per day to function properly. About 70 grams of this glucose can be replaced by ketone bodies, leaving around 130 grams that the body has to come up with, which it does by converting protein to glucose and by using some of the glycerol backbone of the triglyceride molecule (the form in which fat is stored) for glucose. If one eats carbs, the carbs are absorbed as glucose and it doesn’t take much energy for the body to come up with its 200 gram requirement; if, however, one isn’t eating any carbohydrates, the body has to spend energy to convert the protein and trigylceride to glucose. That’s one reason that the caloric requirements go up on a low-carb diet.

The other reason is that the body increases futile cycling. What are futile cycles? Futile cycles are what give us our body temperature of 98.6 degrees. Futile cycles are just what the name implies: a cycle that requires energy yet accomplishes nothing. It operates much like you would if you took rocks from one pile and piled them in another, then took them from that pile and piled them back where they were to start with. A lot of work would have been expended with no net end result.

The body has many systems that can cycle this way, and all of them require energy. Look up the malate-aspartate shuttle; that’s one that often cycles futilely.

Another way the body dumps calories is through the inner mitochondrial membrane. This gets a little complicated, but I’ll try to simplify it as much as possible. The body doesn’t use fat or glucose directly as fuel. These substances can be thought of as crude oil. You can’t burn crude oil in your car, but you can burn gasoline. The crude oil is converted via the refining process into the gasoline you can burn. It’s the same with fat, protein and glucose–they must be converted into the ‘gasoline’ for the body, which is a substance called adenosine triphosphate (ATP). How does this conversion take place? That’s the complicated part.

ATP is made from adenosine diphosphate (ADP) in an enzymatic structure called ATP synthase, which is a sort of turbine-like structure that is driven by the electromotive force created by the osmotic and electrical difference between the two sides of the inner mitochondrial membrane. One one side of the membrane are many more protons than on the other side. The turbine-like ATP synthase spans the membrane, and as the protons rush through from the high proton side to the low proton side (much like water rushing through a turbine in a dam from the high-water side to the low-water side) the turbine converts ADP to ATP.

The energy required to get the protons heavily concentrated on one side so that they will rush through the turbine comes from the food we eat. Food is ultimately broken down to high-energy electrons. These electrons are released into a series of complex molecules along the inner mitochondrial membrane. Each complex passes the electrons to the next in line (much like a bucket brigade), and at each pass along the way, the electrons give off energy. This energy is used to pump protons across the membrane to create the membrane electromotive force that drives the turbines. The electrons are handed off from one complex to the other until at the end of the chain they are attached to oxygen to form water. (If one of these electrons being passed along the chain of complexes somehow escapes before it reaches the end, it becomes a free radical. This is where most free radicals come from.)

There are two parts to the whole process. The process of converting ADP to ATP is called phosphorylation and the process of the electrons ultimately attaching to oxygen is called oxidation. The combined process is called oxidative phosphorylation. It is referred to as ‘uncoupling’ when, for whatever reason, the oxidation process doesn’t lead to the phosphorylation process. Anything that causes this uncoupling is called an ‘uncoupling agent.’

You can see that the whole process requires some means of regulation. If not, then the electromotive force (called the protonmotive force, since it’s an unequal concentration of protons causing the force) can build up to too great a level. If one overconsumes food and doesn’t need the ATP, then the protonmotive force would build up and not be discharged through the turbines because the body doesn’t need the ATP. The body has accounted for this problem with pores through the inner mitochondrial membrane where protons can drift through as the concentration builds too high and by proteins called uncoupling proteins that actually pump the protons back across. So we expend food energy to pump protons one way, then more energy to pump them back.

One of the things that happens on a high fat diet is that the body makes more uncoupling proteins. So, with carbs low and fat high, the body compensates, not by ditching fat in the stool, but by increasing futile cycling and by increasing the numbers of uncoupling proteins and even increasing the porosity of the inner mitochondrial membrane so that the protons that required energy to be moved across the membrane are then moved back. So, ultimately, just like the rocks in my example above, the protons are taken from one pile and moved to another then moved back to the original pile, requiring a lot of energy expenditure with nothing really accomplished.

This is probably all as clear as mud, but it is what happens to the excess calories on a low-carb, high-fat diet.

Cheers–

MRE

Not that it matters, but the person being asked about in the original question was me. I've done this experiment before.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 20:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

JL, it's worth pointing out that not all people do generate futile cycles as easily as others. You personally are obviously a great futile cycler. But it's an ongoing low carb myth that many people aren't perfectly capable of depositing bodyfat on even very low carb food if they eat enough of it. Of course they'll gain less than if they were eating high fat/carbs. But that's not the whole story.

Stuart
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 21:35

BF:

JL, thanks I've read that post by Eades before. He does a good job of describing the process. I think it's safe to say there's a lot more going on, there may even be some environmental cues that help regulate fat storage, such as time of year, temperature, stress levels, and types of physical activity. My main consideration is that paleo man living in a cold climate, would need to store some fat even if on a carnivorous diet to keep him warm. Wasting energy through excessive uncoupling seems more of an evolutionary disadvantage than an advantage. I suppose in a warmer climate, where people needed to run from lions and avoid over-heating while chasing after buffalo, selective pressure may have been for a more lean and nimble people, in which case futile cycling may be increased.

This Taubes lecture was posted in a different thread:

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/event_d...webcastid=21216

He shows some amazing photos of people with abnormal fat distributions, for example there's one man with giant thunder thighs combined with a skeletal upper body... very strange, and goes to show how ripe this area is for further study.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 00:20
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
I cant find the sugar breakdown either though I've read coconut is fructose heavy like apples and pears. It wasn't a scientific experiment for sure, there could have been any number of confounding variables, but my observation was that coconut oil was totally non-lipogenic while coconut cream was somewhat lipogenic.

There's 4 grams of carbs in a cup of coconut milk. No where near the amount of carbs or sugars in fruit. Coconut has very little of any starch or sugar in it. Not sure where you're getting this information but I find it dubious.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 09:48

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
I think it's safe to say there's a lot more going on, there may even be some environmental cues that help regulate fat storage, such as time of year, temperature, stress levels, and types of physical activity.

Taubes points out in his new book that hibernating animals will fatten in the fall even when calories are restricted. The point being that fat storage is largely controlled by hormones, and not necessarily the amount of food consumed.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 10:56

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
Taubes points out in his new book that hibernating animals will fatten in the fall even when calories are restricted. The point being that fat storage is largely controlled by hormones, and not necessarily the amount of food consumed.

I find this very interesting, particularly since sleep and stress reactions have been identified to be associated with weight.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 16:28

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Exactly Proteus,

That is why I am surious about the reports that people who get less sleep tend to weight more.

Now that I am eating low carb, I do tend to sleep more.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 20:56

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette

I've also noticed a connection between sleep deprivation and weight gain, especially when I wasn't eating very low carb. Now that I am, I'm losing even when sleep deprived, and actually handling the sleep deprivation much better. I still get tired, but I never get sleepy during the day. Even in the evening, I'll be awake one minute and then asleep the next. Must be the ketones on the brain.

Plane
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 07:51
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

I find the not getting sleepy effect of low carb (even more pronounced by adding IF) can actually lead to sleep deprivation. I get tired in the early evening. So I'll sleep for about 30-40 minutes, then wake and feel really active till about 3am. when I do start to feel a bit tired, and sleep for another four hours. I'm never sleepy the following day, but I do feel a bit tired, and it really feels as if four and a half hours sleep is not enough. After the half hour early evening nap, I'm really sparky until 3am. But I don't like making myself sleep during the day. And as yet I haven't started forcing myself to go to bed earlier in the night even though I'm not tired.

It's a bit frustrating.

Stuart