Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 22:01

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

What for?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 23:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Strange, it sounds like everyone hear eats beef constantly. I hardly ever eat beef!
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 12:06

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

Beef is just about the only meat I can get that is grassfed and also affordable. The free-range chickens at the farmer's market go for upwards of $20 each, whereas I can get grassfed ground beef for $4/lb and roasts for $3.25/lb.

We do still eat a lot of chicken, it's just usually from Whole Foods instead and we eat it for lunch rather than dinner.

I'd actually like to eat more of a variety of meat but I feel like I don't really have many options around here. :/
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 18:23

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
My wife only likes chicken breast. To me, it's flavorless and even if I can mix in enough stuff to give it some flavor, it's so low in fat that I can only eat it in a very fatty context.

Try marinating? I like some herbs, with a little acv and plenty of olive oil. Gives them a very nice texture. Alternately, buy boneless skinless for her and thighs for you and the kids. Since they cook in half the time, it should be easy to pop them in halfway of whatever you're doing.

Sumac is available from Penzeys. It is good on everything, so far. I've been using it since they sent me a little sample bottle. Beef, chicken, lamb, salad...
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 18:30

Plan: Paleo Diet
Stats: 210/195/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy
Absolutely love them! I heard that they were a chuck roast cut on the bias real thin, so it has the fattiness of a chuck but with the benefits of short fibers. Who knows if that's true, all I know is that they are magnificent if you can find them.

Update: Look what I found!

Plane

I made a beef stew last night. The roast had an obvious flat iron inside it. I got HUGE compliments.

When I drove a truck a couple of years ago, the flat iron started showing up in the menus of the major truck stop chains. I would recommend it. It's well marbled and tender.

V
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 18:35

Plan: Paleo Diet
Stats: 210/195/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit

And everything from Penzeys is good. Very high quality.

Luckily they opened a store here.

V
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 20:11
Experimenter

BF:

I had some rewarmed duck and I made a wonderful dipping sauce of sweetener (not paleo), vinegar, water, mint, cilantro, Sambul Olek (hot chili garlic sauce) and a bit of chopped garlic. Dipped the duck into the sauce. Ummmmmmmm!
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-07, 10:19

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35

I'm new on Paleo and I've lost 4 pounds the first week and I was having some soy creamer and some peanut butter, until I can get to the store for almond/cashew butters. How much compliant are you all? My one problem is salad dressing, Lemon juice gives me acid(probably my citrus allergy) but I can tolerate vinegar. So far I've given up grains and dairy. I can use almond milk in my coffee but I have to get to the store..(snow here) Any tips?
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-07, 10:55
Experimenter

BF:

My main exceptions are certain low-cal sweeteners, coffee and tea, olives and olive oil, vinegar and chocolate. I eat tomatoes which are probably not paleo as well as most other crops from the nightshade family, except potatoes.

I've had the greatest improvements from giving up grains, dairy and legumes.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-07, 12:04

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35

Bat,
How long do you simmer the Pumpkin/sausage soup for?
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-07, 22:15

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
... until I can get to the store for almond/cashew butters. How much compliant are you all? My one problem is salad dressing, Lemon juice gives me acid(probably my citrus allergy) but I can tolerate vinegar. So far I've given up grains and dairy. I can use almond milk in my coffee but I have to get to the store..(snow here) Any tips?

I don't know if cashews are considered "paleo", or at least given the processing involved to make them edible, I doubt they were a favorite of paleo peoples. I think it's almost impossible to be truly "paleo" compliant, unless you live by hunting and foraging alone. As for the almond milk, I don't eat nuts (or vegetables for that matter) but if I did, I would just buy the almonds and make it myself, I suspect any almond milk you buy in a store will have some crap in it you shouldn't be drinking. Here's some nutmilk recipes
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-07, 00:14
Experimenter

BF:

Today I took leftover duck bones and made a stock from them (onions, garlic, peppercorns, etc). Then I made soup! I put in mushrooms, onions and carrots some chicken. Delicious!
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-07, 07:10

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
How long do you simmer the Pumpkin/sausage soup for?

....Not very? Maybe 5-10 minutes, until it starts to really smell good.

I recently made another huge batch using 2 packs of sausage, one hot and one mild, and then 2 lbs of just plain ground pork. I left it quite thick. It came out really excellent, and this is a dish that gets better every day its left over, so once you know you like it, make lots. I just ate the rest and now I have to go get more ground pork.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-07, 10:58

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Today I took leftover duck bones and made a stock from them (onions, garlic, peppercorns, etc). Then I made soup! I put in mushrooms, onions and carrots some chicken. Delicious!

Nancy, it seems that duck has went a long way for you. How much did you cook? You either eat like a bird, or that was one big bird! You've inspired me to cook one.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-07, 11:05
Experimenter

BF:

It weighed 5.5 pounds. I had to add some chicken bullion (Better than Bullion) to give it more meaty flavor. That sure is good bullion.

I got about 1 cup of fat off the bird that I'm using on veggies.

chicken is starting to taste too plain for me now that I've had all this duck!