Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-07, 20:24
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Plane, all this Armenian food! I'm drooling. Lamb is a tad spendy right now in my neck of the woods - wonder how this would taste on a pork shoulder roast?

Tonight - slow cooked, Montreal-seasoned pot roast with carrots, acorn squash, onions and green beans in homemade beef/red wine broth. Holy shee-aat, it was good. Almonds and raisins for appetizer. Some ground beef/pork in spicy tomato sauce a bit later, with a wanton sprinkling of very unpaleo goat parmesan. Almond milk cocoa, I think, for evening treat (or decaf coconut milk latte with cinnamon, not sure).

I'm IFing lately from 5-10, so this is my food for the day.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-07, 06:03

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
Plane, all this Armenian food! I'm drooling. Lamb is a tad spendy right now in my neck of the woods - wonder how this would taste on a pork shoulder roast?

I imagine it would. The key is fatty cuts of meat. It makes the most amazing "soup" in the pot you could ever imagine. Chuck roast would probably be even better. Come to think of it, I made a Hungarian Pork Soup similar to this but used marjoram instead of coriander. Than put a big dollop of sour cream in the middle. It was really good.

Plane
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-07, 17:05

Proteus One's comment in another thread regarding eating leaves got me thinking about grape leaves. Armenian stuffed stuff (they'll stuff anything) is the best I've ever had: better than Greek, better than Syrian, better than Turkish, better than Lebanese, better than Jordanian. The secret is sumac. You usually find it powdered on Middle Eastern salads, it's the small red flakes that taste sour. The Armenians steep the whole seeds in water and use that as a boiling/steaming liquid for their dolma. This stuff is sent from the gods. The problem is all of the rice.

I'm wondering if I could make some rice-free dolma? Next time we make dolma, I might humbly ask my wife (judge of all things Armenian) if I might make some without rice. Oh, God. To have that again would be spectacular.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I can't imagine that grape leaves have a lot of carbs in them. But then the stuffed tomatoes, stuffed cucumber, stuffed eggplants, stuffed summer squash, ...

Ok, I'm hungry. Time to find some food.

Plane
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-07, 18:10

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:

Nothing. How about nothing for dinner? It's Paleo enough for me...
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-07, 20:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You make me want to go an find me an Amenian boyfriend who can cook.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-07, 20:40
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Seriously. I love stuffed stuff. Never had Armenian dolmas. Now I have to find an Armenian market and source sumac. Damn you, Plane!

I have a fatty pork shoulder ready for the crock pot. Suitable? I'll try it and let you know. Should I trim some of the fat, you think? It has a thick layer that would be damn nice rendered and crisped.

Oh - pot roast with carrots, acorn squash, green beans. I can't get enough of this stuff. Then a meat stick and some almonds/raisins. I am eating the same things over and over lately, and am perfectly happy doing so. I don't know why. All I want is pot roast. I think it's the bone broth - that stuff is the best medicine ever.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-07, 21:26

BF:

Grilled Flat Iron Steak, with nothing but black pepper. Romaine lettuce with olive oil, lime juice, black pepper, garlic & salt. That's it -- I like simple dinners.

Flat Iron has become my favorite steak.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-07, 04:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteusOne
Flat Iron has become my favorite steak.

Absolutely love them! I heard that they were a chuck roast cut on the bias real thin, so it has the fattiness of a chuck but with the benefits of short fibers. Who knows if that's true, all I know is that they are magnificent if you can find them.

Update: Look what I found!

Plane
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-07, 07:53

BF:

Yes! I had seen that before. BTW, Whole Foods has them, but as you might expect, they are WAY overpriced. I'm going to check with my pasture-raised beef supplier to see if I can get it from them.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 18:48
Experimenter

BF:

Salad greens with pico de gallo salsa, chicken and guacamole. Ole!
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Salad greens with pico de gallo salsa, chicken and guacamole. Ole!

Sounds good.

I have a problem, though, anymore with chicken. My wife only likes chicken breast. To me, it's flavorless and even if I can mix in enough stuff to give it some flavor, it's so low in fat that I can only eat it in a very fatty context. Otherwise, I'm hungry a couple of hours later due to lack of fat. Now, if I can eat a crispy chicken skin to go with it, I'm ok, but again, the request is for boneless, skinless chicken breast. Wadda ya' gonna do?

Tonight was bratwurst for me, brats, peas and a little mac and cheese for the kid. Wife's working. Unfortunately, the brats my wife bought have corn syrup in them. Corn syrup in sausage! Desecration! Normally I shop but work's been nuts so she was helping out. They officially have one gram of carbs per sausage. Sigh... We don't need sugar in our meat too.

Plane
Who ate three of them anyway with stone-ground mustard
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 20:49
Experimenter

BF:

Use lots and lots of guacamole!

Do you have costco where you live? Check out the italian sausage.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 21:15

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Can you buy the split chicken breasts? They come with a little of the ribs bones still attached, plus the skin. You can cook them with the skins on, then just take it off of your wife's portion (it will make her meat a little juicier, too). That makes you double lucky because then you get to eat her skin and yours. They're a lot cheaper than boneless skinless breasts too.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 21:32
Experimenter

BF:

I just remembered I have a duck brining in the fridge and I just popped it into the oven. I haven't tried brining duck before, I hope it is good. I want to make crispy duck sometime, like the Thai do. I think it is just deep fried after cooking.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 21:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I just remembered I have a duck brining in the fridge and I just popped it into the oven. I haven't tried brining duck before, I hope it is good. I want to make crispy duck sometime, like the Thai do. I think it is just deep fried after cooking.

Mmmm, I bet the brined duck is great. Actually, I've found that brining will turn just about any meat into something succulent. Let us know how it turns out!

Me, I had ANOTHER. GRILLED. Flat. Iron. Steak. And a curly lettuce salad with raw sunflower seeds. I'll stop eating those Flat Irons. Someday. Maybe.