Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 20:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Today is 13 days, 3 hours and 6 minutes.

That is AWESOME! Way to go dizzyd!!! I'm serious - I shamefully confess the longest I ever made it was 7 hours!

As for the weight - you're right, you'll get that off. I think that's bound to happen at first. My doctor once said your metabolism slows for a bit when you first quit, but it all works itself back out in time. Well, he explained it better and at greater length, but that was the basics.

I think you're doing great and you're so lucky to have all that support - and that patch! Keep us posted, okay? You've an inspiration - you truly are.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 20:57

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Update 2002-03-11

Well, today is day 2 of the level 2 patch, and I have to say honestly that I can't tell the difference of having this one and the stronger one at all. Weird... (Not that I'm complaining!)

So, two weeks of this one and I'll try the last one. I can't wait to see how that works out. I'm fully prepared to extend the length of time of any of these patches if I need to.

Thanks for the support guys, I appreciate it!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 18:14

BF:
Talking Update

Today is 3 weeks of not smoking, and week 2 of the level 2 patch. I am contemplating how long to stay on the level 2 patch. I was thinking about adding another week, but after the stress I've had this week, am not sure if it will be needed. So, my plan is to go to level 3 next week as planned, but be fully prepared to have to go back to level 2 if needed.

I'll keep ya posted!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 21:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Way to go, Dizzy- is it getting any easier???
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 14:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default help!!!

Im am quitting as soon as TOM starts. Im worried about weight gain since I have worked so hard at getting and keeping it off. How much should I expect to gain? Is it due to metablosim or more so excess eating?
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 17:20

BF:
Red face Sorry for the delay in responding

It's actually not getting any easier, but that's not as bad as it sounds. The only real problem I had was when I had a wicked ice cream craving, and I ended up giving in to it. (as a point of note, I'm suspecting now that I may have Candida, which would explain that more than anything.)

As for the nicotine cravings, I've not really had any bad ones. It's been remarkably easy this time around. I keep forgetting to put my patch on and have started carrying them with me because I've had to turn around on my way to work 3 times to go get it!

I haven't noticed any weight gain, but there hasn't been any loss either. However, that may again be Candida, if in fact I have that.

So, it's been pretty easy from the get-go for me, and just keeps being easy! I'm going to be using the last level of patch starting on Sunday, but I am prepare to go back up a level if I need it. I'll let you know how that works out.

I do miss smoking sometimes. I really enjoy it and wish I could be a smoker, but it's just not worth the health risks.

Hope this helps you GWilson. Good luck, and remember that you have all the support in the world, right here!

(A friend of mine used another web site as well, called quitnet.com. Lots of good advice and techniques there as well.)
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 19:31

BF:
Default thanks Donna!

By the way, my name is Gale. You seem like U R doing well! Rustpot posted on here for me that ,"he is a smoker, just that he hasnt had one in 17 yrs 3 months and 4 days,it was a tuesday" He cracks me up..lol I actually quit early...I figured why wait? Tom is due and stupid me weighed myself so of course Im up 3 pounds.....funny how I dont heed the same good advice I give out to others...I know, I know...stay off the scale its just water weight. Anyway Im almost thru day one...no real cravings just many thoughts ...like Ill have a smoke then clean the kitchen, Ill have a smoke then clean the bathroom...well ummm no I wont because I am a non-smoker!!! Yeah for me!!! Thanks so much for sharing and keep me psoted as to how U are doing.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 19:59

BF:
Talking Good for you!

Oh Gale!

Don't you wish you could just hang out with Rustpot! He's the greatest!

Well, I think that you've done the hardest part already (at least it was for me) and that's deciding to just do it! Are you using any aids like the patch or Zyban? Don't be afraid to try them if you feel the need. I absolutely never would have tried cold turkey. The only side effect I've had from the patch is the wildest dreams I've ever had! No insomnia or anything though.

Good luck, I'm thinking really good thoughts for you! Sending some loving karma your way!

#24   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 09:42

BF:

Thanks for sending the good Karma my way..LOL Im gonna need it. Ya know I would have gone cold turkey..or maybe just chewed the nic gum, except my biggest concern is weight gain, so I am on the patch. It says its a 10 week program..Nat told me to stay on the full 10 weeks but I will see how I do. Its suppose to be 6 weeks on the step 1 but maybe I can go to step two after a month. Now of course TOM is late...LOL never has been since I started low-carbing...I know once its over I will feel better. How long were U on step one? oh ya...I went to bed early last night...fell asleep right away but woke up an hr later with heart palpatation so I took the patch off and 20 min later felt better. I will try sleeping with it tonight but I imagine same thing will happen. The only problem with taking it off of course is that 1st thing in the morning ya really want a smoke..lol but instead I was up at 530 and did the aerobic part of my workout. Thanks for being here for me..hopefully I will be able to help U out sometime.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 11:10

BF:
Talking Hi Gale

Oh good for you!

I agree that the the best thing to do is judge for yourself when to move to the next patch. I was only on Step 1 for two weeks, but you know how it says if you smoke 10 cigarettes or more, start with Level 1 and if you smoke less start with Level 2? Well, I was right there on the cusp. Some days was 10 or 12, some days was only 6 or7. Depended on the day, you know how that is. I decided that since I was having not even an inkling of a craving, it was time to step down.

I'm rooting for ya honey! I know we can do this together!

#26   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 11:39

BF:
Default hey Donna

Im on day 5!!! I can honestly say I dont have any cravings BUT I feel like crap, Im achy and depressed..ewwww. I will get thru it tho. Im not sleeping much either, tend to toss and turn. I will contine U on both with low-carbing and being a non-smoker cause in the long run they will both benefit my health.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 12:10

BF:
Talking Good for you!!!

Oh Gale, you are doing so well!!!!

Today is 4 weeks for me! I can't believe it. I used to say I would never quit smoking because I love it so much. Who woulda thunk I would be saying "I'm a non-smoker"?!

Yay us! We rock!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 13:29
Registered Member

Stats: 278/265/200
BF:
Progress: 17%
Thumbs up you guys are doing well

Hi guys, my name is chris..i joined the low-carb group last week, and today i've decided to join the rank of non-smokers..i just had my last smoke, so we'll see what happens..

what made me quit?..well, all my friends stopped, and i feel uncomfortable smoking around them..of course the health risks, and i thought of all the money i would be saving..you guys gave me the energy to try this...

wish me luck,

chris
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 15:10

BF:
Default hey Donna and Chris!

WTG donna!!! That is excellent. I cant wait to say its been a month for me. And welcome Chris. Glad to hear U have joined us in the NON-smoking ranks. Are U quitting cold turkey? Im on the patch and I will say, I have NO cravings to smoke. I feel real yucky but I know that will disappear soon too. And when U talk about saving money for smokes.....Im in alberta canada and ours went up to at least $8.50 a PACK...yes U read that right....not a misprint..LOL talk about a huge incentive to quit.Keep us posted as to how U R doing Chris and thanks again Donna for your encouragement.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 19:11

BF:
Talking Yeeee-haaaa!!!

Hey Chris, the more the merrier! Climb on board the "I'm a quitter" express! I completely agree with Gale. If you are are able to quit cold turkey then you're a far stronger person than I. I love the patch, it's my new best friend! Not a craving in sight. Actually, today that's a lie. I've moved to the lowest strength patch as of yesterday and there have been a couple of little niggly cravings, but nothing that I can't ignore for 5 minutes and by then I forget that I've even had one. That's a pretty minor craving. And I've been around smokers since then, so that's pretty good!

I'm rooting for you, and Gale, we should celebrate when you get there. You know what, we in BC have always been jealoud of your cheap ciggies, but no more. I just about fell over when I heard your prices had gone up that much. I bet a lot of people are quitting now.

We can do this together!