Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 10:12
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin w/cheese
Stats: 258/258/158 Male 71
BF:alot/alot less
Progress: 0%
Default Custard or Pudding Reipes

I'm a sweets junkie at heart, and would like a little variety in my egg, cheese & meat diet. Does anyone have a good low carb custard or pudding recipe?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 10:31

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Kallyn posted an excellent chocolate pudding made with avocados in the recipe thread. You can replace the dates or honey with sweetzfree with excellent results. I ate a LOT of that before avocados went out of season.

I've also found that adding a smidge of orange extract, salt, and 2 drops of sweetzfree to a jar of macadamia nut butter makes an excellent treat, by itself or warm drizzled over strawberries instead of cream.

I recently discovered that Almond Breeze unsweetened chocolate almond milk is very nice with 2 drops of sweetzfree per carton. Not really like chocolate milk. More like the milk at the bottom of a bowl of cocopuffs. But very nice all the same. Not perfectly paleo but very near and it really satisfies that craving for something with a creamy mouth feel.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 11:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I make lemon curd quite often (eggs, lemon, sweetener). There's a recipe in the Sweet Treats forum. Last night I was thinking of modifying it so the lemon was milder and putting vanilla with it, but I don't think I have any vanilla extract!

I've also made custard with egg and coconut milk. Recipe in our recipe thread here.

Avocados aren't out of season! I think I can buy them year round.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 11:26

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I make this all the time.

PANNA COTTA
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup granulated Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/2 teaspoon almond extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla

Spray six 6-ounce custard dishes with non-stick spray. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 3 tablespoons cold water; let stand 5 minutes to soften. Bring cream, 1/2 cup water, Splenda and extract to a boil on medium heat. Remove from heat; add gelatin mixture; stir until gelatin is completely melted. Pour into custard cups Cover surface with plastic wrap, to prevent skin from forming. Chill at least 3 hours.

Makes 6 servings

(Courtesy of Linda's Low Carb Site)

I used Sweetzfree instead of Splenda and the carb count is 2 with Sweetzfree, 4 with granular Splenda.

ETA: OOPS, not sure if you can eat these ingredients as I am not familiar with your diet.

Last edited by BetsyJ64 : Thu, Aug-16-07 at 13:35.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 17:53

BF:

Quote:
Avocados aren't out of season! I think I can buy them year round.

Nancy darling, YOU live in California, home of fresh everything year round. I live in Colorado home of things trucked in periodically FROM California.

Last time I checked the avocados, when I could find them, are $2 EACH and quite small. That's crazy talk!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 19:42

Plan: a mixture
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

if it makes you feel better i live in oregon and avocados here are $3 each i eat one/day so that adds up
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 21:05
Experimenter

BF:

Do they even grow avo's in CO any time of the year? Ok, I pay about $3 for a bag of 4 largish avos.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 21:33

BF:

No, avocados won't grow here. I believe they're a tropical plant. We get plenty of local berries, peaches, melon, summer squash, tomatos. All those things are in season NOW, this very late in the summer. Next month it will be apples and pears and cruciferous veggies, and then it will be back to imports from CA and Mexico until next summer.

$3 each? Wow. I don't know that I could make myself pay that. Maybe for a holiday treat. In any case, the few that are in our stores right now are tiny and pathetic looking.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 23:03
Experimenter

BF:

So they're imported all year round... so still wondering how you can say whether they're in season or not, they're never in season for you. You can get avocado trees that produce at varying times of the year plus we get a lot from mexico.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-07, 06:42

BF:

In season for 'us' means there are lots in the store and they're cheap.

I should have said "before avocados went out of season *here*."
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-07, 09:44
Experimenter

BF:

I guess I just find it strange since they're never actually in season for you and they're never really out-of-season for us.

Oh! Frozen avocado halves are pretty decent, btw.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-07, 12:47

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Finding avocados is no problem here for most of the year. Finding good ones, however, is a different story. Half of them end up thrown away because they are more black than green on the inside.

We also get the FL version of the avocado. A largish, paler-green pear-looking monster thing. These aren't as buttery, they have more water, and are often billed as a "low-fat" alternative to the Haas Avocado. If you get a good one, a spoonful of mayo will usually make it palatable.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-07, 14:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Avocados are usually no more than .88 here, and they're often on sale in a bag of 5 for 1.99. Strange, considering Ontario is a little further from Mexico than you guys.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-07, 22:25
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

I've combined a 16 ounce jar of unsweetened raw almond butter, a bag of unsweetened coconut flour, a cup of unsweetened applesauce and a half cup of unsweetened raisins.

Very sweet.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 08:35
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Avocados are usually no more than .88 here, and they're often on sale in a bag of 5 for 1.99. Strange, considering Ontario is a little further from Mexico than you guys.

I'll go to Trader Joe's and check the prices. I think it was 2.99 for 4 avo's. A lot of Avo trees produce in Winter actually. Mine does, but it is a baby still. I only get 1 avo every other year from it so far.