Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 07:43

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

I just want to add: I hesitated to say anything about this because I'm a live and let throw up kinda gal...

BUT- I did not eat anything else that day to attribute it to, and it wasn't the flu. The flu is a walk in the park compared to food poisoning. It hits you so fast you do NOT make it to the john the first time, then you just camp out.
It's not a relief to throw up (like sometimes when you're suffering from a flu or upset stomach, or preggers) it HURTS. You cry, fart, and pee at the same time. OMG, it's awful.

Yes, there's a slim chance it will happen, but if you're body is already weakened due to dieting, you have a good chance of being susceptible. I mean, come on... think of all the food scares we've just gone through.. spinach, sprouts, gluten...
the spam scare, botulism in tinned green beans in Canada... why take a risk? People clearly aren't being as careful with our food sources as they might have been a few years back, and HOLY cow, this was about 10 years ago.

don't do it. don't. Nothing is worth such a regimen.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 07:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/153.3/140 Female 5'6
BF:got it!
Progress: 52%

A dear friend of ours..a healthy FATHER got salmonella food poisoning from eating chicken. He was so sick we alsmost lost him. He was bleeding from his bowels it got so bad. Scarey part was, the chicken was meant for his son....who in turn didn't want it.
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 08:23

Plan: Atkins fatfast->induction
Stats: 147/145/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
You eventually get dragged away from your porcelain buddy to the hospital for an IV because you're so dehydrated.

...which, to me, was the worst part. IVs are no fun. IVs when you're dehydrated are enough to make ya go Rambo on the 4th person to try, if you're a needle-phobe like me. Heck, I wanted to shoot the nurse who kept making me stand up to re-take the bp.

I have to say though, the three other people who got it with me didn't get anywhere near that bad, nor was I even that bad off when I got it in my teens. I was pretty scrawny the last time, so that's a good point about being undernourished from dieting, or whatever.

Anyway, I've had it twice, and I still eat runny yolks. Raw would be too much for me though.
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 09:16
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default Well, an entertaining Troll indeed ...

Ill feed the troll? one more time

One thing about LC is the higher stomach acidity and hyper immune system neutralize most bugs before they can do much harm.

The reason cattle are infested with pathogenic E. coli now is the feed lots where they are force fed GRAINS. Grass fed cattle don't carry pathogens and the meat is higher in EFA's

Glad I use the Egglands eggs since those are irradiated
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 09:17

Plan: Playing by my own rules
Stats: 225/165/147 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
You throw up so violently that you think you're turning inside out. When you have nothing left to vomit you still retch... bile is gone, you still retch. You sleep, fitfully on the bathroom floor for a day or two. You can't keep down anti-emetics. You eventually get dragged away from your porcelain buddy to the hospital for an IV because you're so dehydrated.
People in the emergency room next to you grow tired of hearing the retching.
Your body is sensitive to foods for weeks and you're in a weakened state for a good month.

Now THAT is one hell of a "fad diet."

I don't have much to add other than having a "clearer mind and increased libido" is also an effect of fasting. It could have nothing to do with the eggs or the fact that they are raw and more to do with the lack of calories and nutrients being supplied. I'm a believer in occasional fasting to detox, but somehow throwing in some raw eggs and meat seems to defeat the detox purpose.
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 12:07
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylee
Y'all, I think she meant the specific Atkins section of this forum, is all.

Yup, that's what I meant...just cuz there's other sections where ppl have done stuff like this and may have more info for him. Not cuz he's a pain or anything.

I get Health Canada warnings sent to my email,, and you wouldn't believe the number of salmonella warnings that appear...and none of them so far have been related to animal foods. Scary, eh? I also can't believe how many foods get recalled bc they have unlabelled allergenic ingredients in them (wheat, dairy, soy etc) Off topic, sorry.
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 12:46

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
The reason cattle are infested with pathogenic E. coli now is the feed lots where they are force fed GRAINS. Grass fed cattle don't carry pathogens and the meat is higher in EFA's

*Imagines rows of cattle walking around with funnels shoved down their gullets*

I couldn't summarize it better, so: http://www.biotunes.org/bioblog/200...attle-feed.html
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 13:05

Plan: Ketosis
Stats: 225/225/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandDown
My thoughts were that if eggyolk is under 15 years old (some of the things he said leads me to think he is still a kid) then he still has some growing to do - therefore we may be able to give better advise if we know his age.

I'm 19 years old. What exactly did I say that lead you to believe that I'm still a kid?

Right, go ahead and debase my opinion by saying that I'm immature--because my opinion clearly does not matter around here.

And I'm no troll.

I've gotten food poisoning before. I'm not sure if it was from salmonella but I felt completely terrible. I had a fever for two days and could not stop vomiting.

I will look into pasteurized eggs. Those have all salmonella bacteria eliminated. If I eat pasteurized eggs along with a ketosis friendly diet that's healthy, what problem can there be?

Last edited by eggyolk : Wed, Aug-08-07 at 13:16.
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 13:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you're unlucky you can get a reactive arthritis with salmonella poisoning that'll make the rest of your life utter misery.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/990800ap/499.html

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Aug-08-07 at 13:11.
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 13:13

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

oh all this talk of egg yolk makes me crave some eggnog, I know its not the season - but there it gores
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 14:06

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyolk
I'm 19 years old. What exactly did I say that lead you to believe that I'm still a kid?

Ok, it does kind of seem like eggyolk feels like he's being attacked, and I really don't want to add to that . . . but . . .why is a 19-year-old male so focussed on increasing his libido? If I remember correctly (and it's been awhile) 19-year-olds in general, and 19-year-old MALES in particular, don't usually have a problem with libido. If anything, they have the opposite problem!!

(At least that's how I remember my late teens.)

#102   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 14:23
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Yolks are chock full of vitamins, minerals, phytos...but the protein is in the white (a near perfect protein, the egg white). Why not swallow them both? Pardonmyyuck denise
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 14:25
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
Ok, it does kind of seem like eggyolk feels like he's being attacked, and I really don't want to add to that . . . but . . .why is a 19-year-old male so focussed on increasing his libido? If I remember correctly (and it's been awhile) 19-year-olds in general, and 19-year-old MALES in particular, don't usually have a problem with libido. If anything, they have the opposite problem!!

(At least that's how I remember my late teens.)

I just had the same thought. If your libido is diminished, and you are 19 years old, then you have other problems going on that raw eggs just wont fix. Dont mean to stereotype, but it's just what I think. I'm 26, so it's not too many years ago that I knew 19 year old men...

It's not that people arent open minded, and not that we dont value other's opnions or personal WOE. But when we see someone trying something ridiculous, we want to stop them. We are all acheiving health as well as weight loss. We dont want to support something that seems unhealthy or fadish. Not to mention when people bring up crazy fads and such, you have to wonder if they are trolling.

Ok, you feel great on eating just raw eggs. But thats not always good. Think of it this way: I'm sure heroin makes people feel wonderful, but that does not make it a good thing to use.
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 14:40

Plan: Ketosis
Stats: 225/225/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress:

I mentioned a couple of posts back that I'm not going to only eat raw egg yolks anymore. Right now I'm going to eat a steak omelet with steak, mozzarella cheese, and some hot sauce to go on there, so that I get a tremendous amount of calories out of it.

Well I don't know... the raw egg yolks make me feel... like I'm in a state of early adolescence. I'm sure some people here know what I'm talking about.
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 14:48

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyolk
Well I don't know... the raw egg yolks make me feel... like I'm in a state of early adolescence. I'm sure some people here know what I'm talking about.

Please tell me more