Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 20:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/158/135 Female 5'6
BF:39/34/20%
Progress: 26%

I tried eating a raw egg after watching a karate film (or similiar genre). It was disgusting.

It doesn't sound much like a wol or a woe. It sounds like a crash diet to me.

This was problably a thread for the war zone. hee hee
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 21:31
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Wow, people really freak out about raw eggs! I like 'em! Don't eat them every day, but now and then I really crave a raw egg or two. They taste basically the same, most ppl can't get past the texture I'd reckon. And you're statistically more likely to get salmonella from sprouts or spinach or sesame seeds or other plant food than you are from an egg...most of the outbreaks we hear about (in Canada, anyway) are from plant-based foods.

So egg, with your steaks try just searing them on the outside for a minute or so, keeping them raw in the middle. Check out the meat and egg threads here, maybe the paleo thread (though we eat veggies too). Read up on Steffanson's experiment (google him...Fat of the Land, I think). Above all, do some research. People can and do thrive on meat/fat diets, but they usually get some organ meat in there as well and broths made from bones/meat. Do you like liver/kidneys etc? There's also another forum for ppl doing meat only, or trying for meat only.

I'd probably skedaddle out of the Atkins area though, since you're not doing Atkins. I guess you're doing Eggkins (Yolkins?). Now all you need to do is fake some pictures, make a website and charge ppl 60 clams to find out about it. Sorry...Kimkins joke...
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 22:08

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

I'd hate for you to leave the Atkins board just because you aren't doing Atkins, but are only going to be doing this for a few weeks. I mean, shouldn't that mean that people doing meat and eggs for a few weeks shouldn't come to the Atkins board? Then again, and I don't know this for sure, but m&e might be an Atkins thing. Someone let me know if I'm right or wrong LOL.

A lot of people that use this board aren't on Atkins, but are just low carbing in general, like myself. I have never followed the rungs of OWL and I never saw a point to it because I've always seemed to lose weight if I ate cleanly. I also didn't even have an induction strict induction. But whatever. I hope you don't leave us. LOL.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 22:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet, Induction
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 69
BF:
Progress:

I had salmonella. I was sick for over six months in grade school. I'd never do anything to tempt fate. Raw eggs not cool. I wouldn't do it. Believe me it is not worth it. And, it is not healthy. Sounds like an unhealthy fad/diet.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 22:41

Plan: Ketosis
Stats: 225/225/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress:

How old were you when you had salmonella? It has a more drastic effect on children, elderly, and HIV victims than it has on normal healthy people.

It's good to know that people who are not on Atkins are accepted here, so I won't be leaving.

And I'm not doing the egg yolk only thing. I will be eating portions of meat throughout the day but I will still have those egg yolks in my diet (they make me feel good).
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 22:43

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:

I honestly believe that the whole salmonella argument is overdone. Salmonella does NOT just come from eggs like a lot of people believe. Heck, you can get it from someone who didn't wash their hands after they used the bathroom! Not only that, but the vegetables that farmers put animal fertilizer on. Even poultry, beef, and milk can have salmonella. Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of it is by cooking thoroughly.

Oh yeah, don't forget to wash your hands after handling a reptile. They spread it, too

I do believe that the OP knows the dangers of consuming raw/undercooked food such as eggs and meat, but the chance is small. Its like telling a smoker that smoking is bad for them. Duh.
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 23:43

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

I used to eat raw eggs all the time, in smoothies (Orange Julius like), years ago before the panic about salmonella. the standard mayonnaise recipe uses raw egg. And bodybuilders used to down raw eggs as a dietary supplement to gain muscle mass. While I can't advise you, I'm inclined to believe that the hype about salmonella is overblown (a risk exists, but the risk is low).

That said, wouldn't you like some variety in your diet? Blueberries and tomatoes and zucchini, among other foods, are in season...and all low carb.
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 00:12

Plan: Atkins fatfast->induction
Stats: 147/145/125 Female 5'6"
BF:

Y'all, I think she meant the specific Atkins section of this forum, is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
I guess you're doing Eggkins (Yolkins?). Now all you need to do is fake some pictures, make a website and charge ppl 60 clams to find out about it. Sorry...Kimkins joke...

As for the salmonella: I'm big-time paranoid about germs, but I agree with y'all; it's not that big a risk.

(I got it once, actually, from just the chicken, I think. No fun, but nothing life-threatening.)

Last edited by Kaylee : Wed, Aug-08-07 at 00:20.
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 01:47

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lené
SandyDown, methinks you aren't the only one in this thread who has been taking the micky.

Lene'

Yeh - I think this whole thread is a wind up ... else eggyolk is a child.

Eggyolk we forgot to ask how old are you?
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 03:38
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Sandy, why do "we" need to know his age? Unless there's an age restriction here to post, and if that's the case, then it's up to the mods to take care of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggyolk
Besides adding more meat, what else should I add to my diet (for the sake of nutrition and not taste)?
I would definitely take some omega 3 (EPA/DHA) supplements if I were you, in addition to a good multi-vitamin (cheap insurance).
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 03:48

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
Sandy, why do "we" need to know his age? Unless there's an age restriction here to post, and if that's the case, then it's up to the mods to take care of that.

My thoughts were that if eggyolk is under 15 years old (some of the things he said leads me to think he is still a kid) then he still has some growing to do - therefore we may be able to give better advise if we know his age.

If you disasgree with this then that's fine YMMV
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 03:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 455/224/200 Male 6-3
BF:
Progress: 91%

Just putting my two cents in - eating the egg raw is not my cup of tea, but I can handle homemande mayo with raw eggs...

But back to the topic - I could see eating only eggs (whole eggs, cooked in my case) but I don't know how long I could go. I've had a day or two in my life when all I ate was eggs, but even so, they were often mixed with mayo into a salad, or deviled eggs, some fried, some HB, some in an omelette, etc.

I can somewhat relate to the behavior of sticking with one thing for a long period, just not sure I could do it!
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 05:02

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

For those who have never had the the pleasure of the whole food poisoning experience, this describes it pretty well: the first 24 hours you're afraid you're going to die, the next couple of days you wish you had.
My DH got salmonella food poisoning a few years ago...he vomited violently for 5 days and almost wound up in the hospital from dehydration (and no, he's not a child, elderly or a HIV patient).
I had food poisoning from chicken when I was a newlywed... vomited for 3 days and couldn't stand even the smell of chicken cooking for a year after that.
Yup...the odds of getting food poisoning are small, but it really, really sucks when you're that 'one in 1,000' that draws the short straw.
It's easy to believe that food poisoning is not a big deal until you're the one worshipping the porcelain buddah.
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 07:28

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

I can tell you, too. Salmonella poisoning, when I was about 36 from making a Caesar dressing from raw eggs.

You throw up so violently that you think you're turning inside out. When you have nothing left to vomit you still retch... bile is gone, you still retch. You sleep, fitfully on the bathroom floor for a day or two. You can't keep down anti-emetics. You eventually get dragged away from your porcelain buddy to the hospital for an IV because you're so dehydrated.
People in the emergency room next to you grow tired of hearing the retching.
Your body is sensitive to foods for weeks and you're in a weakened state for a good month.

After which you will eye every egg with a good deal of caution and refuse to eat anything but thoroughly cooked ones. I still like eggs, but don't you dare serve them runny to me or I might freak out.

just my two cents (and I was healthy, and quite active at the time not a kid, elderly, or infirm)
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 07:36

Plan: IF and LC
Stats: 178/174/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
For those who have never had the the pleasure of the whole food poisoning experience, this describes it pretty well: the first 24 hours you're afraid you're going to die, the next couple of days you wish you had.
My DH got salmonella food poisoning a few years ago...he vomited violently for 5 days and almost wound up in the hospital from dehydration (and no, he's not a child, elderly or a HIV patient).
I had food poisoning from chicken when I was a newlywed... vomited for 3 days and couldn't stand even the smell of chicken cooking for a year after that.
Yup...the odds of getting food poisoning are small, but it really, really sucks when you're that 'one in 1,000' that draws the short straw.
It's easy to believe that food poisoning is not a big deal until you're the one worshipping the porcelain buddah.

I laugh everytime I see that.

Think of it as the flu, yes it's going to be WORSE for the population listed, but it isn't ONLY worse for HIV folks, elderly, and kids. If you're gonna start breaking down who it really hits hard with, you better list a whole other slew of immuno sensitive people. Just sayin' eggyolk.

Plus, looks like there are a few testimonies of violent reactions from people not in the population you listed.