Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-07, 07:37

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Leaving your steaks out on the counter to get them to room temp?? Cant that cause food poisoning?? Never tried that - hmmm if everyone else does it I guess it should be safe?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-07, 07:38
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
From the looks of it, I'm one of the few here that likes my steak well done

Ours are medium-well - you could scroll back and see cooking times for BBQ and broiling in the oven, just increase your time a bit. If you follow all the other tips in here, like having the steak at room temp before cooking, picking decent steaks from the store, adding butter or seasonings after the steak is cooked - well done or not, that steak is going to be very tender. Give it a try
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-07, 09:51

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylorene
Leaving your steaks out on the counter to get them to room temp?? Cant that cause food poisoning?? Never tried that - hmmm if everyone else does it I guess it should be safe?

First of all, we're just talking a couple hours, not all day. Second, bacterial contaminants remain on the exterior of whole pieces of meat, so when you then grill the steaks all the bacteria gets killed. Yes, it's safe.

Never, never do this with ground meat. Ground meat has bacterial contaminants ground into the interior of the meat. I should have said this before.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-07, 10:45

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 198/185/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
"Unthinking faith is a curious offering to be made to the creator of the human mind."

John Hutchinson

....Off the subject, but Daryl I love this quote. Just recently watched a tv show about John Hutchinson. Pretty intriguing.

And just to stay on topic....I love steak. I love all steak. Cooked every way. When I was a kid, my mom never cooked steak, and my grandparents always pan-cooked it to the consistency of shoe leather. The only worthwhile part was the crispy bits of fat around the outside. It wasn't until I met my husband and his family that I learned the pleasures of a thick, rare, juicy filet.
Mmmm!
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-07, 10:57
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Anyone here enjoy buffalo/bison steaks? They've become a fave, second only to my beloved cow meat.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-07, 12:07

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
First of all, we're just talking a couple hours, not all day. Second, bacterial contaminants remain on the exterior of whole pieces of meat, so when you then grill the steaks all the bacteria gets killed. Yes, it's safe.

Never, never do this with ground meat. Ground meat has bacterial contaminants ground into the interior of the meat. I should have said this before.

Thanks for the info!! I will give it a try next time I make steak -
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-07, 17:04

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
Ours are medium-well - you could scroll back and see cooking times for BBQ and broiling in the oven, just increase your time a bit. If you follow all the other tips in here, like having the steak at room temp before cooking, picking decent steaks from the store, adding butter or seasonings after the steak is cooked - well done or not, that steak is going to be very tender. Give it a try

I will, and thank you, and everyone, for such a great thread.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-07, 17:12

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowNStedy
....Off the subject, but Daryl I love this quote. Just recently watched a tv show about John Hutchinson. Pretty intriguing.

And just to stay on topic....I love steak. I love all steak. Cooked every way. When I was a kid, my mom never cooked steak, and my grandparents always pan-cooked it to the consistency of shoe leather. The only worthwhile part was the crispy bits of fat around the outside. It wasn't until I met my husband and his family that I learned the pleasures of a thick, rare, juicy filet.
Mmmm!

It is a terrific thought I've never believed faith and reasoning had to be antagonists.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-07, 19:36
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work

Ditto! Also, ground meat should always be cooked to at least medium well for the same reason.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-07, 19:52

Plan: South Beach/Atkins
Stats: 227/213/175 Female 5ft
BF:starting size 20
Progress: 27%

i have learned a few things from this thread thank you sooo much for posting it. I will no longer buy my steaks from my grocery store and will go to my neighborhood butcher shop.

And I looove my grill mates seasonings.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 09:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
Ditto! Also, ground meat should always be cooked to at least medium well for the same reason.

My DH says ground should be cooked to well for this reason: I guess ecoli happens on the surface of meat, so steaks are fine cuz any cooties get killed when cooked. But ground meat, well..cooties could still be lurking in the center of that medium burger.

Works for me. But I like well done burgers, makes em crispy.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 08:09

Plan: fat, fat, fat
Stats: 225/212/160 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Great thread! Some good tips -- and like many of you, we'll be having steak tonight! LOL

I do like bison! Costs a bit more, and sometimes hard to find, so we don't have it often, but I like it a lot, and it has the advantage of being grass-fed.

Lene'
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 08:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/170/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 41%

First off, I have always defrosted all meat and poultry out on the counter, and I have NEVER gotten food poisining, though of course its possible. My parents always did this while I was growing up, so maybe my system is used to a little bacteria or something. If you think about "aged beef" , they actually leave that out until it starts to rot, and it is awesome tasting and pricey to boot.

Second, I wanted to comment about this

Quote:
The key to properly cooking a great steak is to take it out of the fridge 2 hours before cooking. If you don't do this, the interior of the steak will still be icy cold when the exterior is ready to go. If you then wait for the interior to warm slightly (and I like mine rare to medium rare), the outside of the steak will be hopelessly overcooked.

I just wanted to say that if you like your steak "black and blue" like I do, you might actually want your steak to be icey cold so the outside will get nice and charred and the inside will stay rare

One more thing: I noticed that a lot of people salt their steaks before cooking - I always thought that you shouldn't salt beef before cooking, because it will draw all the juices out and dry the meat out. Has anyone else heard this? I could be wrong.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 10:48
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

For the summer, I season a inch thick steak (with Roast beef seasoning), broil for 8-10 min each side. I take it out cover it and let it sit. Then I slice it thinly and let it sit in the juices alittle longer. I put in freezer baggies (3-5 meals, depended on size of steak) and freeze. For work, I bring a frozen bag, leave it in my work bag and eat it as is. If its more pink than I like, I might nuke the bag for 30 sec. Its a cool lunch for hot days.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 11:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/198/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Cast Iron Skillet is essential in cooking a steak on the stove top.