Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 10:09

Plan: SOUTH BEACH
Stats: 151.2/146/135
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default TOTALLY DEPRESSED

I JUST HAVE TO VENT. I AM SO P***** OFF RIGHT NOW. I HAVE STUCK FAITHFULLY AND I GAINED A POUND FROM LAST WEEK'S AVERAGE. I AM BECOMING SO SO DISCOURAGED AND DEPRESSED. I HAVE NOT LOST ANYTHING. SOMETIMES I JUST FEEL LIKE QUITTING. MAYBE IT'S NOT FOR ME. I DON'T KNOW. I WILL GIVE IT A MONTH. 2 MORE WEEKS. I HAVE BEEN ON FOR 2 WEEKS AND I'VE GAINED. I AM SO ~#%$&*&^ ANGRY. ~#$&*%$#~!%^$$#~$%^& OK, NOW I FEEL A LITTLE BETTER.
THANKS.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 10:44
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 207.5/203/190
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hey Cris

I'm so sorry you are having trouble right not with CALP.
I really do hope that things work out. I have a few questions for you.

Do you have a journal? I don't see one here in the Boot Camp section; maybe you are keeping one at home? I resisted keeping one myself.....but....I finally started one, and I must say, it really does help.

Could you give us an example of exactly what you are eating every day? That may give us a clue to give even more suggestions. It's possible that the LC meals you are eating have hidden carbs in them. I know that for me, I have to keep my LC meals to 5 carbs or less in order to lose. So, when they say to eat lots of salad....I can only eat a small salad at lunch, because, while they only have a small amount of carbs...the lettuce and dressing do add up. IE one day for lunch, I had a decent salad and greeen beans with my protein at lunch. I gained weight that day. The only factor that was different was the increased carbs during my lunch that day.

Another possibility.....there's been lots of people posting on many different LC WOL's that if you don't eat enough, you will not lose. Maybe that's what happened this last week.

Also, keep in mind; you admitted yourself that you overdid your RW the entire first week. So, you have really only been on the diet for one week, not two.

No matter which eating plan you decide to go with to lose, and then maintain weight....you have to go with that WOL full blast!!!
You must follow all of the key points, or it won't work.

As with all diets, this WOL does take a lot of planning. I am spending a LOT of time right now on fitday.com. I plan my meals and have to "add" lots of foods that are not in there. But, this time is paying off. I am having one of those Lipton pasta dishes with my RW today. By plugging in everything I "plan" to eat, I know exactly how much of the pasta I "should" have. Doing it by eye as suggested by the Hellar's is great...but, for me...I want to be more exact. I'm trying to keep the 10x rule in place for the amount of calories you take in. So, I really plan my meals so that I run around 1800-1950 calories/day. IE for today, I haven't eaten dinner yet. But, with what I "think" I'll be eating, I am only at 1650 calories for the day. Part of that is because I slept in and plan on only having 2 meals today. But, if I still feel hungry during my RW meal, I know ahead of time that I can eat a little extra and should still be OK.

Sorry to be so longwinded and talking so much about "me"; but, I have been losing on CALP.....and with that continued planning, I hope to continue with that trend!!!

And...lastly....have you been drinking enough water!!! Another important factor in ANY diet. It's hard.....I feel like I spend WAY too much time in the bathroom....but.....it's a "necessary evil"

Take care, and please keep us posted.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 11:21

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile Hidden carbs?

If you're not losing be sure to check for hidden carbs in your LC meals (a journal would help with this), and also make sure your RM is no longer than an hour.....

Stick to it and this plan will work! I lost 40 lbs a few years ago until I stopped this WOE. Now it's my WOL and I know that the pounds will come off for good this time!

-animaldoc
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 13:22

BF:
Default THANK YOU

HI SCOTTY,
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR TIPS. NO I HAVE NOT KEPT A JOURNAL. I SHOULD. HOW DO I DO THAT? HOW CAN I CHECK OTHERS?
YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT MY FIRST WEEK. I'M JUST UPSET RIGHT NOW. THAT SCALE SEEMS TO MAKE OR BREAK MY DAY. TODAY I AM DEPRESSED.
I THINK I MAY EAT TOO MUCH SALAD. I HAVE THAT BEFORE REWARD MEAL THEN SOMETIMES I HAVE IT DURING TOO AS MY LC VEGGIE. I HAVE SALD AND PROTEIN FOR LUNCH. I SKIP BREAKFAST. JUST COFFEE.
I WORK OUT 6 DAYS A WEEK AND I DO DRINK A LOT OF WATER. ONCE IN A WHILE I'LL HAVE A DIET SODA. I HAVE TO ADMIT SOMETHING THOUGH. I HAVE CHEWED GUM ON AND OFF. IT SEEMED TO HELP ME OUT. THIS COULD BE MY PROBLEM NO?

WELL I'LL KEEP TRYING. THANKS AGAIN!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 15:09
Registered Member

BF:
Lightbulb Chewing Gum

Chewing gum may not be the only answer....but.....on CALP; the Heller's do not recommend chewing gum.

Again, the philosophy of what makes this WOL work is the release of insulin. Doesn't matter if it is "real" sugar, or "artificial" (regular gum, or sugar free); your body sees it as "sweet", and can lead to the release of insulin.

Another thought on the "too much salad" theme. Yep....been there, done that! I've had to cut down on my salad intake at lunch, as well as at dinner. I don't quite know the reason...everyone is different...but, 2 cups with my RW is what I normally have. I'm not a big "veggie" person; so I don't usually have more lc veggies (salad or other) of any kind with my RW meal.

As far as a journal, look under the "boot camp" section. The journals are then in section alphabetically, going by your log on name (go look under "S" to find mine )

Good luck....don't give up.....keep with it!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 17:49

BF:
Default HI SCOTTY

HEY SCOTTY,
DON'T YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE 2 CUPS OF SALAD FIRST, BEFORE THE REWARD MEAL AND THEN DIVIDE THE PLATE INTO 3 WITH MORE VEGGIES? TONIGHT I MADE CHICKEN CUTLET PARMIGIANA.(I'M ITALIAN) I HAD MY 2 CUPS OF SALAD FIRST. THEN HAD THE CHICKEN AND SOME SPINACH. I SAVED ALL MY CARBS FOR SOME COOKIES. WHICH I ENJOYED.
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE. YOU'VE BEEN A HELP. LETS HOPE THIS WEEK WORKS OUT GOOD.
GOOD LUCK! (I NEED IT)
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 18:01

Stats: 199/185/139
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Sounds yummy!

Your Reward Meal sounds yummy!! I do that alot as well, save all my carbs for a desert. Tonight we had pork chops, spinach, salad and cottage fries. I had 2 fries (just because I could!) and saved the big carb consumption for a luscious Banana Creamcheese cake that I made, topped off with a cup of coffee.

It's hard to get that salad in every single Reward meal. Sometimes I opt for green beans or something else instead.

Keep posting! It's great to hear new ideas!

Lisa
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 18:38

BF:
Default HI

HEY LISA,
HOW CAN YOU TELL HOW MUCH CAKE TO HAVE? TONIGHT I HAD 2 OF THOSE PEPPERIGE FARM SAUSILITO COOKIES FOR MY CARBS. NOW I DON'T KNOW IF THAT WAS TOO MUCH OR TOO LITTLE. WHAT DO YOU THINK? I FIND MYSELF FEELING GUILTY AFTERWARDS AND WORRYING ABOUT THE DAMN SCALE.
I GET DEPREESED VERY EASILY. TODAY WAS A DPRESSING DAY.
BUT I WILL NOT GIVE UP HERE. SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 19:33
Registered Member

BF:
Wink Balancing that RW

Cris, yes you are supposed to have the 2 cups of salad before you then split the rest of your RW:1/3 lc veggies, 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs.

But, there are so few lc veggies that I really like. I try to have the green beans, wax beans or mushrooms; but I would get tired of them if I rotated only those. And, adding more salad just stuffs me so much that I wouldn't be able to eat very much else...and I don't want my calore intake to go too low because I'm eating too much salad.

So, for me, a lot of days, yes, my RW is not balanced as stated in the book. One thing that is emphasized in CALP is that this is a plan that has to be individualized.

What each of us can and can not get away with during our RW....that is one of the most difficult parts! But, it's a difficult part that means I can eat like the rest of the world and not feel deprived...and a difficulty I find more than worthwhile to work with until I get it right! And most days, I do.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 20:48

Stats: 199/185/139
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Portions

Hi Chris

I completely eyeball the portions that I have. On CALP, you don't have to count the carbs you eat, which is such a liberating thing. I try very hard to decide what I'm going to have as my carbs for my Reward Meal ahead of time. That way I can judge if all my portions are approximately the same size. Like tonight, I had a rather good size pork chop so I had a similar helping of spinach and 2 cups of salad. I had already decided ahead of time that I wanted to have some of the cheesecake I made (that really had much fewer carbs than one might think). I cut a piece that was similar in size, weight.. whatever, to the portions of pork chop and spinach I had. I had a cup of coffee and I was done.

Right now, 4 hours later, I'm still feeling fully satisfied, a little thirsty (so I should go and get some water.....which I did ) but pretty pleased with the fact that at this time of night, I'd be going for a big 'ol snack!

I stuck completely on task today and that gives me the stamina to attempt it again tomorrow. It's a one day at a time thing.

I'll be more than glad to help you find whatever answers you need!

Lisa
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 22:03

BF:
Default HI

WELL TODAY I KNOW I DID EVERY SINGLE THING BY THE BOOK. THE PORTIONS THE WATER ETC. ETC.
I NEED TO HAVE THE REST OF THE WEEK GO LIKE THIS. I ACTUALLY DREAD GETTING ON THAT SCALE THOUGH. I AM ALWAYS SO DISAPPOINTED. I'LL KEEP MY FINGERS CROSSED.
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 07:13

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Have 2 cups of salad with RM everyday

I eat my 2 cups everyday at RM. That's what your supposed to do. This feels you up so you won't overeat on the rest of the meal.And leaving off the veggies is not good. You need the fiber. Complex carbs and sweets make you hungry . So if you leave out in order to eat the other foods then you won't lose on this diet. Read the section on Freguency of meals in the OPTIONS. If you aren't losing or doing the diet right , it will never work. And If you don't do some or all of the options it won't work. I do the exercise option , the meal frequency, the Gft chromium options and it works for me . I have lost 1 lb a week without fail since i started and without guilt. Hope this helps. Wawtigress
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 08:03

BF:
Default THANKS

HI WAWTIGRESS,
I THINK I'LL ADD THE CHROMIUM OPTION THIS WEEK. I DO EXCERCISE ALMOST EVERYDAY. PROBABLY 6 OUT OF 7 DAYS A WEEK FOR MINIMUM OF 30 MIN. I LIFT WEIGHTS AND KICKBOX TOO. I JUST FEEL LIKE THIS IS SOOOO SLOW. I HAVE NOT LOST ONE POUND YET, BUT I WON'T GIVE UP. I'M GOING TO START KEEPING MY JOURNAL TODAY. HOPEFULLY ALL YOU GUYS OUT THERE CAN GIVE ME SOME TIPS.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 13:42

BF:
Default journal and menus important

you've got to do the averaging and do a journal on the forum so we can read to help let you know what you are doing wrong. That's the only way to succeed.Wawtigress
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 13:42

BF:
Default journal and menus important

you've got to do the averaging and do a journal on the forum so we can read to help let you know what you are doing wrong. That's the only way to succeed.Wawtigress