Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-08, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: whatever works
Stats: 145/131/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:< than yesterday
Progress: 93%

Ditto on the sex thing, it does improve your health I am so glad to be post menopausal. I haven't had any hot flashes in months. Maybe they're gone for good. Seems like my metabolism has slowed down even more though. I feel lucky that I lost 5 pounds after two weeks on induction, but I'll have to go REAALLY slow after this, I sooo don't want to gain it back..I gained ten pounds in the past year, but I was pretty active..

Last edited by Lightbird : Sat, Jun-21-08 at 12:44.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-08, 12:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

Sorry to have been away but I have been feeling bad with a bad cold and sore throat since last Wednesday.
Am jsut beginning to feel better today.

But I am here.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 17:09

Stats: 162/139/135 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hello everyone, I am 52 years young, have been in menopause since I was 37 due to cancer. This is probably the best time of my life, kids are grown, not to many financial worries and husband and I are enjoying every minute we can together. I can relate to the low to no libido but I have found it is coming back, not like when I was in my 20's or 30's but it is ok and improving. I started LC to lose a few pounds but found many other wonderful reasons to keep eating this way. I have always felt much younger than I am but I find LC eating makes me look younger, my belly is flatter and my skin, hair and nails are healthier. I don't have tummy and intestinal problems anymore and heartburn is completely gone. Love this WOE and will stick with it until I am being spoon fed and don't know what is in the spoon.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-08, 06:58
Registered Member

Hi Lin, I grew up in (southern) Ontario. I now live in New Hampshire with my hub and 3 kids. I'll be 53 this August. Now at 140 and keeping my goals small and straight ahead of me i.e. I'll be very happy to see 135 again even if it takes me a couple of months. Haven't had sugar or starch for a month. SO beneficial! I had surgery in April and due to have surgery again at the end of July, so I want to really be careful about eating healthy...I tend to go to extremes i.e. overeat or undereat which must confuse my poor body, so I'm glad to have found a balance.
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-08, 11:39

BF:

Lightbird, just wanted to say hi.
I know how surgery can mess up your eating, I have had several surgeries on my spine and was laid up for a long time time and it played havoc with my eating. Mostly because everyone was cooking for me or bringing me fast foods to eat. I couldn't get up to cook for myself then so I just ate what was brought to me. Was this the case with you to, just eating what other people fixed for you?
I am doing better now though with my eating and am down some more pounds so thats good. Still have not met my goal yet but working on it.
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 08:50
Registered Member

Hi Sis, I had & will have more ear surgery, due to tissue completely blocking both ear canals (resulting in 50% hearing loss for several years).

Outcome was excellent with the first surgery. Within a day or two after, I could pretty much do normal stuff within reason, and control what I ate (not dependent on others). The real problem was with all the post-op meds I had to take (prednisone etc), plus concerns about healing and staying strong. So I didn't want to mess too much with my diet.

During the time I was not hearing well it was very isolating, I also went through menopause during that time, financial problems, triple whammy so I was pretty depressed a lot of the time and started overeating just because it was a comfort.

Now I feel like the whole world is coming alive around me because I can hear normally in my left ear again, which truly I never expected to. This has restored my hope & I'm more determined than ever to get healthier.

best wishes and all my support, I hope your back is better and stays that way!
Lainie

Last edited by Lightbird : Sat, Jul-12-08 at 08:55.
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 10:24

Stats: 162/139/135 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hello Lightbird so glad things are coming together for you and that your hearing is returning. Menopause is bad enough on its own without other health issues to deal with.

Hello Sissypoo, my girlfriend has had 2 surgeries on her spine in the last 18 months, she gained quite abit of weight from the drugs she was on and not being able to get around. She has started LC and is losing weight and says she is starting to feel good. I wish you the best, I know how much pain my friend was in and how hard it was on her. Best of luck.

Linda
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 19:51

BF:

I still have some problems with my spine, I still have more buldging disc's and bone spurs. My doctor wants to do more surgery to remove the spurs but I do not know yet when he will do it. Not looking forward to it at all but maybe this will not require so long of a recovery like the other did.
When I had those herniated disc's fixed they had messed up my legs bad and left me with alot of numbness in them so I had to go through some extensive rehab so I could get back to walking.
It was months before I could get back to walking ok and I still have trouble with it now still, so wobbly when I walk that I have to use my walker.
Being laid up in bed for so long really put my pounds back on me.

Lightbird, I am happy that your ears are doing better.
And talking about being depressed, while I was laid up I had it really bad, guess I just felt sorry for myself because I couldn't do what i use to be able to do and that got to me bad.
  #84   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 07:42
Registered Member

My family really supported me so that helped a lot. Now my challenge is to work with my new post-menopausal metabolism...a bit different than it used to be. I have to be a lot more patient with the process of losing weight now.
  #85   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 21:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/150 Female 5feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hi,

I'm 55, already been through the menopause thing. Fortunately, I flew through it and didn't have a problem but hot flashes. They still hit once in awhile. I'm starting Atkins again after I gained back 30 lbs. It was emotional eating. I have to change all my stats and start a journal. What is the Scheinbach diet? I swear it gets harder with age!! LOL
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 11:12

BF:

Menopause was not bad for me but I began on hormones early and they just recently took me off them.
My main health problem has been all this spinal arthritis and the arthritis in my hips and knees.
My mother had it bad like this and so did my grand mother so I guess its a inherited thing.
Luckly I can get treatments that they never could had because the treatments were not around then.

I have my good days and bad days with it and guess I always will.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-08, 13:08

Plan: Weight Watchers/S Beach
Stats: 201/195.8/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I will be 52 in 13 days. I will do this thread. Doing atkins currently (did South Beach BRIEFLY and WW off and on.). I've been diagnosed pre-diabetic by marriag (DH is pre-diabetic and his grandfather was diabetic, no diabetics in my family, so I'm claiming by marriage) to control my glucose.
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-08, 15:19

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 210/210/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi all, I am 57, went though menopause after removal of my thyroid 20 years ago. I took hormones once, but did not like them, so I have not taken them in years. Pretty much though it. I need to lose about 80 pounds to get to 135, but hopefully in it for the long haul. I started Low Carb last month and have lost 6 lbs, so a good start. I have also checked out meetup.com and found a low carb group in my area. it meets once a month to talk and share. I have also incorporated exercise in my routine. Without a thyroid, that is the only way to get my metabolism up.
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-08, 06:51
Registered Member

Welcome! congrats on the 6 lb loss, that is a great beginning. Good luck with everything.
  #90   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-08, 19:52
Registered Member

Plan: Kinda LC
Stats: 171/151/135 Female 5
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hi. I am So glad I found this thread...sometimes I feel out of place on some of the other boards because of my age.(51) I feel that I can relate to everyone here. I have been doing South Beach for a few months..I am in peri-menopause. And the symptoms really seem to affect my diet. I have never had hot flashes or the usual that most women complain about. My symptoms are so outa whack I never know what kind of day I am going to have. My symptoms are so unpredictable. Some days I get all of the pms symptoms cramping, legs hurt, bloated,very large appetite, Some days I am very fatigued and emotional. Sometimes the symptoms last for a few days & sometimes a week or two. Sometimes I have a period and sometimes I don't (Sorry for so much info )
But I am just wondering if any one else has these problems. I really have no one to talk to about these things. Not only is this affecting my diet but also my life, some days it is hard to function & just go to work.

Last edited by apple135 : Sun, Oct-05-08 at 20:34.