Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-07, 08:22

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

Is oregano an anti-candida fighter? Better Nutrition, Feb, 2002

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/..._83033003/print

Quote:
Yes, according to a new study led by Georgetown University s Harry G. Preuss, M.D., in the journal, Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. The study looked at a specific oregano oil (P73), oregano compounds such as carvacrol and synthetic antibiotics such as amphotericin B and nystatin versus Candida albicans in test-tube cultures (in vitro) and in mice infected with candida. In the test-tube part of the study, the oregano oil completely stopped or prevented the growth of candida--by up to 75 percent. In the animal part of the study, mice infected with candida were given oregano oil for eight days and followed for one month. The mice that received oregano oil all survived; the mice which only received the placebo olive oil all died within 10 days. The oregano oil was as effective as amphotericin B in protecting the mice from systemic candidiasis. Interestingly enough, giving whole oregano oil was more effective than only giving one of its isolated components, carvacrol, which supports the view that a synergy of naturally occurring compounds (including thymol, terpenes and fiavonoids) is more effective than isolating a specific ingredient. The study's authors concluded that daily consumption of "oregano oil may be highly effective in the prevention and treatment of candidiasis." The power of the findings led the researchers to suggest that future studies should look at oregano oil against other systemic and skin fungal infections, pathogens and even cancer.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-07, 15:07

Plan: candida wipe out plan
Stats: 130/115/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 150%

The oregano oil was working for me, I know because I had all the die off symptoms. But it started to give me horrible acid in my throat........I couldn't drink enough and couldn't bare it. Then what does one do? Are the ooopills as effective as the liquid? I think we asked this question on here before.....I would think the liquid would be more potent. I could be wrong.

I have also never heard of this Jerusalem artichoke before the articles here.....is that found at a health food store? Pills? Liquid? Exactly what is it? I'm going to google and see.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-07, 10:02

BF:

Malulani, thanks for your questions!

The oil of oregano does not cause you to have increased acid in your throat. The potency and concentrated nature of the herbal extract as an oil simply is just that, very potent, and the burning sensation is natural.

I would recommend diluting it in about a 1/2 of a teaspoon or 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Here is what I do: When I'm taking my coconut oil straight after my meal (usually two tablespoons), I swallow most of it, but then leave a little bit in my mouth; I then drop in my oil or oregano and let it sit in my mouth for a few minutes to help combat thrush related problems. I find the coconut oil pretty much completely takes away any burning sensation.

I'm not sure if this is fact or not, but I've come to believe that the liquid oil concentration is more potent than what comes in the capsule form, so I use the straight oil.

You can always purchase some empty gelatin capsules, put your drops in the capsule and then take that so you don't have to expose your oral mucus membranes to the OoO, but I've found the coconut oil dilution is very effective at relieving any irritation or discomfort that may come with it.

_________

With regards to Jerusalem artichoke, this is just one of the many different plants that have a high inulin content. There are some products out there that are flours made from this plant, which contain high amounts of fructo-oligosaccharides and inulin, which are literally food for the beneficial flora in the intestines. For example: http://www.naturalways.com/jaf01.htm.

Chicory root is a more popular source for short & long-chain inulin fractions. Here is a good inulin product that would provide much more inulin, and is more convenient than consuming large amounts of artichokes or chicory roots: http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=3858

_________

This has recently fascinated me:
Quote:
The dominance of health-giving bifidobacterium in breast-fed babies is due the presence of special carbohydrates in mother’s milk known as oligosacchrides. These special carbohydrates are virtually absent in cow’s milk. From a physiological point, these special carbohydrates escape digestion and absorption in the small intestine of the infant, and thus reach the colon intact – where they serve as food for, among other bacteria, the all important bifidobacterium. As the bacteria thrive on this “food” from mother’s milk, they grow in number and absorb water, resulting in more regular and soft bowel movements. It’s important to know that the bulk of infant feces are made up of live and kicking bacteria. Look next time if you don’t believe me!
Mother's breast-milk contain components that cator to the development of a proper intestinal flora. So, it only seems logical that utilizing these same components even after breast-feeding will only help to restore and/or maintain a proper balance of beneficial organisms (acidophilus, bifidobacteria, etc.) in the gut to pathogenic organisms (clostridia, candida, etc.).

I hope this is helpful! Good-luck on your anti-candida journey.

Cheers,
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-07, 11:46
HIGH FAT!!!

Plan: CARNIVORE!!!!
Stats: 191/145.0/137 Female 69 inches
BF:30.3/24.06/not yet
Progress: 85%

Jayppers,

Strangely enough I have seen 'recipes' for adult infusion enemas made up from the feces of breastfed only(no solid food) infants. They say it is used to introduce the beneficial bacteria into the adults problematic intestinal environment. I wouldn't do or recommend this, it sounds gross & off the wall to me. Is this in similarity to anything you've read? I've been able to control my candida w/coconut oil & WOE.~Cheryl
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-07, 17:20

BF:

Inu-Flora Prebiotic Powder, 500g. Jar (rebalance flora)

http://www.globalsweet.com/cp/DP/INUF500.html

Quote:
It has been said that refined foods have contributed to this increase in GI tract disorder. At times, these disorders may be nondescript, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and may not have any organic basis. That is, such disorders are functional and may not have any organic basis. That is, such disorders are functional and may not have any structural abnormality associated with them. Likewise, GI tract problems may be a result of the intake of medications, such as antibiotics. Antibiotics, despite their considerable benefits, are by far the most deleterious agents that wreak havoc on the GI tract. This happens as antibiotics decimate not only the harmful infectious bacteria, but also the beneficial ones native to the colon. Thus, it is not atypical that as an antibiotic course runs, it makes the patient susceptible to antibiotic-induced diarrhea. This is especially the case with children. Since antibiotic-induced diarrhea resolves of its own accord, an occasional antibiotic course leaves children unscathed. Disturbances in the floral balance among adults, however, particularly the elderly, can take a stiff toll. Repeated exposure to antibiotics may result in a perturbed balance between the beneficial and deleterious bacteria in the intestine. This is usually referred to as dysbiosis.

Intestinal dysbiosis, in turn, may be the root cause of an array of GI tract health problems. For instance, depletion of Bifidobacteriae may reduce the presence of butyric acid, a short-chain fatty acid (SCFA), a metabolite of bacterial fermentation, which is absolutely essential in the proper functioning of colon and helps boost the immune system. Replenishment of butyrate is best achieved by stimulating the fermentation of in the colon of Bifidobacteriae. Presently, the most popular approach to replenish the beneficial bacteria, such as Bifidobacteriae spp., is by the oral intake of the so-called probiotics that are a collection of bacterial cultures. More important, however, are the findings that soluble dietary fiber can simulate the production of butyrate, since it is a natural substrate for beneficial bacteria in the colon. Accordingly, soluble fiber provides a more meaningful modality to maintain floral balance in the intestine. Among the most soluble dietary fibers, inulin is an effective substrate for beneficial bacteria indigenous to the colon. As such, inulin is a prototypical prebiotic. That is, it is a natural food and energy source for bacterial fermentation in the gut.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-07, 17:28

BF:

Clinical, microbiological, and immunological effects of fructo-oligosaccharide in patients with Crohn’s disease

http://gut.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/55/3/348

Quote:
Conclusions: FOS supplementation increases faecal bifidobacteria concentrations and modifies mucosal dendritic cell function. This novel therapeutic strategy appears to decrease Crohn’s disease activity in a small open label trial and therefore warrants further investigation.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-07, 17:40

BF:

Therapeutic approaches targeting intestinal microflora in inflammatory bowel disease

http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/12/4452.pdf

Quote:
Inflammatory bowel diseases, ulcerative colitis, and Crohn’s disease, are chronic intestinal disorders of unknown etiology in which in genetically susceptible individuals, the mucosal immune system shows an aberrant response towards commensal bacteria. The gastrointestinal tract has developed ingenious mechanisms to coexist with its autologous microflora,
but rapidly responds to invading pathogens and then returns to homeostasis with its commensal bacteria after the pathogenic infection is cleared. In case of disruption of this tightly-regulated homeostasis, chronic intestinal infl ammation may be induced. Previous studies showed that some commensal bacteria are detrimental while others have either no influence or have a protective action. In addition, each host has a genetically determined response to detrimental and protective bacterial species. These suggest that therapeutic manipulation of imbalance of microflora can influence health and disease. This review focuses on new insights into the role of commensal bacteria in gut health and disease, and presents recent findings in innate and
adaptive immune interactions. Therapeutic approaches to modulate balance of intestinal microflora and their potential mechanisms of action are also discussed.
Quote:
Intake of prebiotics can signifi cantly alter the colonic microfl ora by increasing the populations of certain bacteria and thereby quantitatively changing the composition of the microflora[48,49]. These alterations may act benefi cially, in part, by causing a luminal reduction of short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs), which are both important nutrients for the intestine and inducers of an acidic environment[47,49-52]. Among the SCFAs, butyrate most effectively protects intestinal mucosa against injury and promotes mucosal healing[49,53].
Quote:
Oligofructose and inulin: Inulin and oligofructose are comparable to dietary fi ber in that they are composed of multiple saccharide units, which are indigestible by the enzymes in mammalian small intestine. The saccharide chain in inulin is longer than in oligofructose. Inulin and oligofructose show similar physiological functions in the intestine. It is generally recognized that inulin stimulates the generation of butyrate and the growth of lactic acid bacteria (LAB) in the colons of healthy subjects[50,56]. Videla et al examined the effi cacy of inulin in a dextran sodium sulfate (DSS)-induced colitis model, demonstrating that it significantly attenuates inflammation as assessed by mucosal damage and both colonic eicosanoid and myeloperoxidase concentrations[50]. The treatment also led to an increase of Lactobacillus and a decrease of luminal pH and fecal water content.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-07, 19:27

Plan: candida wipe out plan
Stats: 130/115/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 150%

I will have to purchase more coconut oil and experiment. I like the now products as well. I use the now stevia powder and I find it very tasty. As afar as the info on the breast milk.....it IS fascinating and seems like a no brainer once you have that info.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 09:10

BF:
Default Dietary Fiber Theory

http://www.biblelife.org/fiber.htm

Quote:
The ultra low-fiber, low-carbohydrate, high-fat, high-protein diet suppresses the pathogenic bacteria and yeast in the colon to give perfect bowel movements. The stool is soft and bulky to pass easily. The urge to go is slight and waiting for a convenient time is very easy. The claim that one should have one or more bowel movements each day is a myth. Skipping a day is normal and does not cause a plugged feeling. Straining is not required to have a normal bowel movement.
I tried this, for several months, and still found this statement to be inaccurate for myself. Don't get me wrong, I still fully believe that a very low carbohydrate diet is optimal for human health; I was and still am constantly suffering with loose stools and very frequent bowel movements, which ultimately suggests that bowel dysbiosis is still present, even when taking large quantities of probiotic supplements. Suppression of pathogenic yeasts, fungi, and bacteria is certainly one very important thing to consider, but the starvation of probiotic bacteria with a low prebiotic fiber diet is also an important thing to keep in mind. To suggest to take probiotic strains, but then not provide them with the correct energy source (prebiotic fiber) just doesn't make sense. You essentially would be required to supplement with probiotics for the remainder of your life. 'We are not deficient in probiotics, we are deficient in prebiotics.'
Quote:
The fiber become the major food source for these pathogenic (disease causing) bacteria and yeasts. Dietary fiber may not be digestible by the healthy individual, but it certainly is digestible by pathogenic gut bacteria and yeasts. These bacteria and yeasts ferment the fiber to produce alcohol, acetaldehyde, lactic acid, acetic acid and a host of other toxic chemicals when they break down the fiber. Intestinal gas is a sure sign fiber and/or sugars are being fermented. The bacteria turn the fiber into toxic acids and toxic chemicals that damage the lining of the colon causing leaky gut syndrome leading to inflammatory bowel diseases and a host of other autoimmune diseases. The yeast feeds on the fiber causing a systemic yeast infection.
At one time earlier this year I was of this same school of thought - that dietary fiber was essentially deleterious to digestive health. I don't really think this is true though of prebiotic fibers, such as Inulin, in particular. It has been shown, through scientific experiments (references to which I have provided throughout this thread), that prebiotic Inulin does not appreciably contribute as a food source for pathogenic fungi, yeast, and bacteria. Although I am sure there is some very minor level of utilization by them, especially the shorter-chain Inulin/FOS, but for the most part, experimentation has shown over and over that prebiotic fibers are highly utilizable by probiotic bacteria, much more so than that of pathogens (because they can only use the prebiotic ingredient for growth to a limited extend or not at all).

The result has consistently shown that the bifidobacteria becomes the dominant genus in the human colon and feces. With that said, how can someone make a blanket alignment of fiber with that of sugar? I do agree that sugar and high carbohydrate foods are detrimental to digestive (and general) health, I do not agree that all 'high fiber foods are high carbohydrate foods.'
Quote:
The abundance of carbohydrates and fiber in the diet causes the opportunistic pathogenic bacteria to proliferate and thereby make the IBD worse. The abundance of pathogenic bacteria in the gut caused by the consumption of carbohydrate foods such as whole grains and fruit proliferate in the appendix where they cause chronic inflammation.
Yes, whole grains and fruit are certainly poor foods for fiber consumption because of their low levels of prebiotic fiber and much higher levels of more easily utilizable carbohydrates, but eating foods that are rich in fiber and quite low in overall carbohydrates is not the same. Such as eating food that are high in prebiotic fibers, yet very low in overall carbohydrates (e.g. onion, garlic, chicory root, etc.).

I pose this question to the author: If substances that are capable of escaping human digestion in the small intestine are not acceptable for human consumption, and additionally are deleterious to digestive and overall health, then why are such substances a component of human breast milk?
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 07:45

Plan: candida, celiac
Stats: 110/106/106 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:
Default Jayppers - Jordin Rubin's healing journey

Hi
Have you read Jordan Rubin's book? He speaks of dysbiosis a lot. He is a doctor who was dying of chrohns or gut disease of some sort. He regained health through Soil components, food etc. He was like 90 lbs or 80 lbs, dying, and restored his health. A friend is very into him, and suggested it to me years ago. GUT issues is a lot of this book. It does not work for me much since i wont eat many of the things (meat) he suggests, but his principles are sound and match many of the things we are doing..some of us are doing...
just an FYI..tho I assume you already know of him..others may not. GARDEN OF LIFE is his supplement line.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 04:38

Plan: unsure yet
Stats: 65/65/68 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

HI Jason,

I have had this dreaded disease for so long now, but in all my daily research I have just come across Olive Oil, maybe very helful for all inflammations in the digestive tract, amnyway I am going to buy the virgin one tomorroe and give it a try I have tried everything else.

Cheers,

Starwoman
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 05:42

Plan: SCD/Lutz/Atkins/PP hybrid
Stats: 115/115/120 Male 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just came across this thread. I have IBD (UC) and use a low-carb approach to help reduce symptoms, as well as probiotics and rx drugs. On another forum I frequent (Healingcrow), Duncan Crow posted all that stuff about Inulin and FOS as well, however I can say firmly that a number of people tried that approach and did not notice any benefit.

Instead, they reported suffering from increased gas and distension. I know it is supposed to be a "temporary" symptom that goes away, but in this case not a single person on the forum who tried it, reported benefit, in spite of how well it reads in some of these abstracts. It seems to me that inulin and FOS can feed pathogens and not simply feed beneficial bacteria, because they are a form of bacterial "superfood." Therefore, it seems to me that while the logic behind feeding probiotics makes some intuitive sense and may work out in the lab, "pre"biotics remain riskier than probiotics alone- and at best should be used with caution initially as regards doses. (This applies also to probiotics, too, since one person's wonder cure can be another's flare producer).
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 18:57

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi probiotic,
I read the same thing in the book by Elaine Gotshall, can't recall the title at the moment, but it is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet
or SBD.....her recommendations are against pre-biotics for just the reason you stated.....interesting....
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 22:46

Plan: unsure yet
Stats: 65/65/68 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Has anyone tried Probitocs

I am starting the probiotic yeast Saccharomyces Boulardii, as I have been researching it.....and all reports say it should compete, and win the control of space in the small bowel with the candida, and therefore help me to be free of pain, diarrhoea and other miseries.

Another name for this Probiotic is Florastor........

I would be interested to know how anyone is getting along after useing this product.

Cheers,

Starwoman
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-07, 20:40

Plan: SCD/Lutz/Atkins/PP hybrid
Stats: 115/115/120 Male 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi pmezak (and fellow Bay Arean, lol),
Yeah, I have been on a lower-carb version of the SCD for around 7 years, with some success. Well, the SCD put me onto researching low carb more. I tried inulin, a prebiotic, around 5 years ago and all it gave me was gas. Ditto when I have used stonyfield yogurt with pectin (essentially a prebiotic) as a home-made yogurt starter. So personally I am wary of prebiotics. Of course, mileage may vary and some may tolerate them well.

Starwoman- I have used s.boulardi (SB( without any problems. It is a yeast, but a probiotic yeast. From what I've heard it is one of the better ones to take when using an antibiotic. I use Pure Encapsulations SB on and off- there are many brands out there.