Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-08, 19:44
HIGH FAT!!!

Plan: CARNIVORE!!!!
Stats: 191/145.0/137 Female 69 inches
BF:30.3/24.06/not yet
Progress: 85%

It's getting cooler....

Soup's On!!!

~Cheryl
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-08, 21:04
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Yep! This recipe is on my menu, too, but probably not until next weekend. It's supposed to be in the upper 80s/low 90s from Sunday through Wednesday.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-08, 09:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/187/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Hi this sounds nice..........what is the consistancy like? I'm on induction and would like a 'thick' soup I can take into work and reheat in the microwave? I think I'd prefer the chicken to the beef - I don't think the thickeners mentioned on this site are available in the uk?
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-08, 11:22
Never Give Up!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathymulle
Hi this sounds nice..........what is the consistancy like? I'm on induction and would like a 'thick' soup I can take into work and reheat in the microwave? I think I'd prefer the chicken to the beef - I don't think the thickeners mentioned on this site are available in the uk?
Although I haven't made this yet, I'm pretty certain this soup will be basically a broth with veggies and meat in it.

I can recommend Mock Split Pea soup, though. It has a lovely thick consistency. It also freezes quite well, so you can make a big batch, freeze it in individual serving size containers, and reheat it whenever you like. Here's the recipe I use:

Mock Split-Pea Soup

1 bag (16 oz) frozen cauliflower
1 bag (16 oz) frozen green beans
2 ham hocks (or smoked turkey drumsticks, or any meat of your choice that tastes like ham.)
1 1/2 to 2 qts chicken broth, depending on how thick you want the soup to be.

Place chicken broth in large soup pot and add the ham hocks. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Remove meat from broth and set aside.

Add the cauliflower and green beans to the broth. Simmer until vegetables are soft. Pour into a blender jar, puree, and return to pot. (A stick blender would work great for this, but I don't have one yet.)

Return the ham hocks to the puree, and simmer until the meat is falling off the bones. Remove the ham hocks to a plate and allow to cool. Separate the meat from the bones, cut into bite-sized pieces, and return meat to the soup.

Note: If you prefer a thicker soup, you can allow it to simmer uncovered until reduced to the consistency you prefer, or you can thicken it with a little Thick-n-thin not/Starch.

Makes about 6 to 8 servings.

Nutrition for entire batch: Cals 819, Carbs 57.54g, Protein 49.08g, Fat 48.39g, Fiber 25.54g.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-08, 08:53
HIGH FAT!!!

Love the Mock Split pea soup Kisal!!
Awesome recipe! ~Cheryl
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-08, 10:23

Plan: zeroish carbs
Stats: 388/300/150 Female 66inches
BF:unfortunately
Progress: 37%

Sounds fabulous Kisal.

PS love the dog breath soup already.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-08, 05:59

Stats: 205/187/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Kisal, that does sound wonderfull! Really, I'd love that soup..........however 6-8 portions 57.4 carbs? 7.2 cars per portion (if divided into 8) I'd probably eat at least two portions - 14.4 carbs! I'm trying to get back into induction and reading everything I can and ammasing recipes to help. Could I make do with one portion, i ask myself? Just take one portion to work with me I suppose, then have bacon & eggs for breakfast and lots of meat for dinner with very few veg? Sorry just talking to myself here! And where do I get a ham hock these days - never seen in supermarkets and butcher shops are almost exstinct!
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 08:39

Plan: south beach
Stats: 327/327/210 Male 70
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Kisal, that does sound wonderfull! Really, I'd love that soup..........however 6-8 portions 57.4 carbs? 7.2 cars per portion (if divided into 8) I'd probably eat at least two portions - 14.4 carbs! I'm trying to get back into induction and reading everything I can and ammasing recipes to help. Could I make do with one portion, i ask myself? Just take one portion to work with me I suppose, then have bacon & eggs for breakfast and lots of meat for dinner with very few veg? Sorry just talking to myself here! And where do I get a ham hock these days - never seen in supermarkets and butcher shops are almost exstinct!

Just check out your pork section in your supermarket. You can't always find it, but they do carry smoked ham hocks. Or, mine does, at least.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 23:06
Never Give Up!

BF:

Quote:
Yes, the whole batch does have 57.54g Total Carbs, but 25.54 of those grams are fiber, leaving 32 Net Carbs for the entire batch, or 5.3g Net Carbs per serving. Unless you're following the 1972 Atkins plan, you are supposed to subtract the fiber from your foods.

Also, I find this soup to be very filling. If I eat 2 cups of it, I end up feeling absolutely stuffed to the gills!
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 23:20
Never Give Up!

BF:

I made a quarter batch of the Dog Breath soup today, which gave me 4 cups. I used 4 T of butter, because I wanted it to be higher in fat. Next time, I'm going to use more hamburger, too. I seasoned it with onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, allspice, salt and pepper. Next time, I'm going to toss in a bay leaf and let it simmer for awhile before I add the salad. I found the soup to be a bit bland, so I added a tablespoon of Frank's hot sauce.

BTW, I used the bagged mixed baby lettuce, which contains red lettuces as well as several types of green lettuce. The red lettuce turned the broth a kind of weird purplish-brown color! I recommend that only leafy greens be used in this soup!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-08, 11:25
HIGH FAT!!!

Yes Kisal - the red lettuces kinda go blucky brown(as I say!).

I have been doing quite a bit of a chicken & (green!)cabbage mod & have been feeling good & looking a little leaner in the midsection.
I've used the red cabbage...not visually appealing, lol!

I find that simmering the cabbage for 1 hour with the meat works to an advantage...Tastes awesome & minimal gaseous side effect.

It's a great day for soup here today! ~Cheryl
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-08, 10:41
OWL More Veggies

Stats: 255/223/175 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 40%

I wonder if you could use beef broth instead of the bullion cubes. They are a little salty. Before Low carbing I use to make pozole and lettuce was a garnish and it was really delicious in the soup. I think Ill try the beef broth and see if that works and I could always add the cubes one at a time to boost the flavor if needed.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-08, 14:24
HIGH FAT!!!

BluePants,

Yes you can!
I was going for ease of preparation & cost effectivity.
Beef broth works fabulous too!

Enjoy! ~Cheryl
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 22:30
HIGH FAT!!!

Cool Turkey Soup!!

Hey!! Who wants Turkey soup, LOL!!!

I made some with zucchini & broccoli stalks...It was good!

THE KEY TO GREAT SOUP!!!
I boiled the turkey carcass for 36 hours in a 12qt stockpot w/a lid. Let it cool & strained it. Sorted the bones, cartilage & skin out for the cat, bagged the remaining meat & up put the pot in the fridge. Next morning, Voila! Lovely separate layers of fat, true broth & gelatine!!! Put the 'puck' of turkey fat in the freezer, had a couple of 1 qt bags the gelatine(what flavor!) & made my soup with the broth!!! Yummy!!!

Hope you're enjoying your left overs!!! I am! ~Cheryl
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 10:11

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

valentine, I love this!!! I made mine with ground pork, cabbage, and organic chicken bouillon. Added 1 tsp of dehydrated minced onion, and the same of ground sage and garlic powder.... OMG, delish.

I'm a soup freak!!!

Am going to try this with some chinese vegetables (bean sprounts, bok choy, broccoli, perhaps) with a few squirts of soy sauce (LC), a sprinkle of ginger and garlic, and perhaps a small dash of sesame oil in addition to the butter. Will let you know!!!!

ty very much for this!!!!