Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 15:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/142/130 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%
Wink New beginner

Hi there this is my first time trying a low carb diet. I don't know what to expect but I am hoping for good results. I just started the diet last week and so far I don't have results but I am assuming that is normal.
I currently am having less than 20 carbs a day. If anyone has any suggestions on what food to eat that would be great. I do notice myself getting a little light headed at times is that normal? I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions because I am new to this thank you..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 16:03

Stats: 185.8/185.8/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Welcome, rmarie! Glad you have chosen this way of eating (WOE)! After induction the lightheaded feeling (caused by carb detox) will go away. My main advice in terms of eating is to try to cook more often. For example, on Sunday I made a 3-pound roast beef and have been snacking on it since. Eggs (in their various forms) are always great (omelets, frittatas, scrambles, hardboiled eggs, etc). Having lots of home cooked LC foods on hand at all times is essential.

You may want to post your daily eating habits here and invite advice from the amazing people on this site. Their tips have been immensely helpful to me! All the best to you!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 16:19

BF:

My name is Rosie thank you for your advice. I think this forum is such a great idea. I think its great all the support. I know this first week will be a bit of a struggle.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 16:21

BF:
Default Hi there

My name is Rosie thank you for your advice. I think this forum is such a great idea. I think its great all the support. I know this first week will be a bit of a struggle.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 167/163/140 Female 5 2
BF:
Progress:

hi marie im a new also but i like what i see on this site so far, hope i get loads of help,
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 13:58
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 167/163/140 Female 5 2
BF:
Progress:
Wink hi rosie

hi rosie hope you have loads of tips for me need lots of help, im from ireland where you from
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 14:05
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi, Rosie! Have you read the Atkins book? Great food lists in there that will really help!

Welcome to the forums!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 20:46

Stats: 156/130/120 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hi Rosie,
Welcome! I wish you great success! If you don't have the Atkins book you could go to the Atkins website. Click on Induction, that will give you a really clear outline of what to eat the first 2 weeks to get your body in fat-burning mode....if you follow that you will definitely see results!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 02:59
Registered Member

Stats: 170/170/130 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Welcome! Dont worry soon you will start feeling the energy boost thats comes once your body has done a full carb detox. One the hardest things is changing how you feel about eating fats, the book is a real help with this. I found i feel much better, no lightheadness, if i keep my fat intake higher than i normally did. The recipie section on this forum has great ideas for food and the ones that are suitable for induction are marked.

Bankhouse - hey! im from Cork although i live in Scotland now. Moved here about 6 years ago and married a Scot. Go back home quite often and isnt irish cooking hell for low carb! Was at my nephews christening and they served FIVE types of potato!!! Mashed, boiled, roasted, chips and croquettes!! My husband didnt even know that potatoes came in such a variety of ways. lol!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 10:36

BF:
Default Hi there

Hi there my name is Rosie and I am from California. Wow Ireland I bet its pretty there. I have family from there.
I still need to get out there and buy the Atkins book I haven't done it yet. But I just started last week and I haven't really lost any weight. I am keeping my carbs under 20 so I am hoping to see an improvement sometime soon. I really like this diet the only thing that I struggle with at times is I feel like I am constantly hungry. Well, I hope things are going well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganMac
Hi, Rosie! Have you read the Atkins book? Great food lists in there that will really help!

Welcome to the forums!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 10:38

BF:

I need to go and get the Atkins book I know there are so many out there which one is better? And will it provide tips on food and everything?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 10:39

BF:

Vitabella where to a find Induction is it under tools?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 10:44

Plan: Atkins (What Else??)
Stats: 245/143/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 102%

#14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 11:00

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 267/243/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 39%

I got my Atkins book (DANDR) at a thrift store for $1.99! Compared to $12.99 that was listed on the cover. You might try that if you want to save some cash.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 11:20

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

Welcome.

Definitely get the book. I happen to prefer the earlier editions ('72, '92), and if you pick up the newer book used, you might find one of those editions as well to look over.

The food lists are important. Just doing "low carbs" doesn't work for all people. We have our own food sensitivities and tolerance for carbs at one meal. One of the most important things IMO is to eat a salad a day, if not for 2 meals, particularly during Induction. And stay away from frankenfood low carb products if you can. Go to Fitday and record your food (or use the My P.L.A.N. feature here). It will really help you see where your carbs (and that other "c" word) are coming from so you can tweak your menus, even after you go into O.W.L. And be sure to drink your water.

You are not that overweight so your results might be a lot less dramatic than someone who is more overweight. Just keep in mind, even with a one or two pound a week weight loss (or sticking around the same for a bit), the scale isn't going up. I often stall or even gain a pound or two before a big loss.

You will probably soon find the other benefits of this diet. I have had an increase in energy. My B.P. has stabilized. My I.B.S. symptoms have disapeared. My skin feels as soft as a baby's. I used to get a migraine about once a week. I have had a few sinus headaches since I started this WOE in May, but no migraines.

Good luck, and I look forward to your posts.