Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-07, 19:01
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Paleo
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 0%

Proteus, weejit is adorable.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-07, 23:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

How did your cat make it through the fireworks, Nelson?

I was pleased with my cat. He just sat on my lap through the whole thing. He looked a bit stressed when it got louder but I just talked to him, stroked him and he did great.

He's semi-used to them though because we can hear the fireworks at my house from Sea World even though it is very far away. So it was like a normal night except louder and longer.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 06:54

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I know this is a cat thread, but I'm babysitting my parents' dog right now and the combination of fireworks and rain last night spooked her so bad that she refuses to even set foot back outside. Poor thing. I just hope that she regains her confidence before she has a mess in the house.

Proteus, your new kitty is adorable!!
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 07:42
Experimenter

BF:

It is also a "pets and fireworks" thread! How's your parents' dog doing today?
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 09:03

BF:

My husband tried to make her go out again last night...all it did was scar her further! Cowering, tail between legs, choking herself to get back inside... He felt so bad for her that he let her sleep in the bed with us (he doesn't usually even let her in the bedroom).

This morning she still balked at going out, but I made her at least just stand by the door until she did her business. I got her some extra treats to try to make it up to her, and she has finally started acting a little normal again. She's such a sweet dog, I wish I could explain to her what was going on!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 11:20

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Well Little Caesar and Babyface Nelson both did themselves proud!! Caesar is the one with the panic disorder, and he was very alert but calm throughout. I was really relieved and surprised. Apparently loud noises are not a real stress trigger for him, thank god, just the vet clinic and shots. He's doing fine this a.m.

Our other cat, Diamond Lil, is a Ragdoll and she slept through the whole thing. 4th of July, New Years Eve, Arbor Day. They're all the same to her.

I really feel for your dog, Kallyn. An acquaintance of mine was telling me that he had a dog years ago that was so traumatized by fireworks one year that he never recovered and eventually had to be put to sleep.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 11:46

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Male -
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
Well Little Caesar and Babyface Nelson both did themselves proud!! Caesar is the one with the panic disorder, and he was very alert but calm throughout. I was really relieved and surprised. Apparently loud noises are not a real stress trigger for him, thank god, just the vet clinic and shots. He's doing fine this a.m.

Our other cat, Diamond Lil, is a Ragdoll and she slept through the whole thing. 4th of July, New Years Eve, Arbor Day. They're all the same to her.

I really feel for your dog, Kallyn. An acquaintance of mine was telling me that he had a dog years ago that was so traumatized by fireworks one year that he never recovered and eventually had to be put to sleep.

Amazing - are firework noises really so upsetting for animals compared to TV or thunder or doorslams etc? Or is it the flashing?
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 12:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson

Oh geez, don't tell me that. I tried to take her out again this afternoon and she was just as bad as she was last night. Cowering, shaking, tail tucked between her legs, choking herself to get back inside...
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 12:23
Experimenter

BF:

I did notice that Indy is a bit jumpier today than normal. One thing that seems to work really well with my cat is diverting him with cat nip. That has always defused him.

Speaking of funny cat behavior... My sister came to visit and Indy (who is normally shy) was bonding with her really well. She put her head down close to his and then he suddenly hissed at her! My sister was put out by his behavior. Why would he act so friendly one minute and hostile the next? Well... then she said she blew on him when she put her head down. Well crap, no wonder he hissed at her, he thought she was hissing at him! There's a puff of air when a cat hisses at you. That's one trick that smart cat owners know, when you want to express displeasure at your cat blow in their face, they'll interpret that as a hiss. Indy is very sensitive to perceived hissing, so much so that if I whistle close to him he'll bat my face with his paw like... "What's the matter with you woman! Snap out of it!"

So anyway, my sister apologized profusely to my cat and they made up.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 12:24
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
Oh geez, don't tell me that. I tried to take her out again this afternoon and she was just as bad as she was last night. Cowering, shaking, tail tucked between her legs, choking herself to get back inside...

I would think you could interrupt that cycle of fear with tranquilizers or something.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 12:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I would think you could interrupt that cycle of fear with tranquilizers or something.

Do you think Rescue Remedy would help? I've been trying to read about dogs and fireworks, but it seems like all the advice is for what to do while the fireworks are actively going on, not what to do if the dog continues to be terrified long after the fact.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 12:45
Experimenter

BF:

I don't really know anything about Rescue Remedy. I hate to advise herbs like Valerian, because so often animals are poisoned by things we're fine with. Could you call your parents and get their advice? They've probably had to go through this with her before.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 13:51

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:

I'm sure the story I told was a very extreme and unusual case, and, of course, I don't know all the details. Please don't let me spook you!

Watching Caesar recover from a vet visit is nerve wracking for me, because it goes on longer than you'd expect. But it does always stop. Your pal will probably be fine by the weekend.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 16:34

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp621
I never really knew they could have psychological problems like humans (though it should seem common sense.)

I have a big male cat who was a breech birth and was not breathing when I noticed his mother had gone into labour and had to help her get him out.

She walked up to me as soon as I walked into the door meowing her head off with him hanging out of her back end so I rushed her to the 'nest' I had made up for her and on her next contraction gently pulled him out. He was not breathing on his own so I helped him out and after what seemed like an eternity he drew a breath and cried out. After a quick massage with a clean towel I gave him back to mom.

As a result of the lack of oxygen to his brain he is not *working with all thrusters* as some would put it but he is an awesome cat and I love him to bits. He is very loving and will push his head under your hands to make you pet him. He never tires of that. He also meows his head off at the bathroom door if I go in there without him.

He enjoys raw chicken bones and raw meats from time to time with the odd supplement from the houseflies (or other bugs) he catches inside the house.
Also loves green peas.

I have to take him to the vet soon for his first shots before his neuterring
and I know he will freak out. It took 3 of us to get him into his carrier when I moved and when anyone he doesn't know comes to the door he dives under the couch for the safety of cover.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 16:42

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
I know this is a cat thread, but I'm babysitting my parents' dog right now and the combination of fireworks and rain last night spooked her so bad that she refuses to even set foot back outside. Poor thing. I just hope that she regains her confidence before she has a mess in the house.

I think I know what might help. I saw Dr. Stanley Coren do this on one of his shows with a dog that was terrified of thunder.

He got a recording of thunder on audiotape and put it into the cassette player on a very low volume. Too low for us to hear but the dog heard it and let it play all the time. Gradually he raised the volume little by little (over a period of several weeks) until the dog was sleeping through the recording and when real thunder occurred the dog was fine. I bet it would work for fireworks too.

http://www.stanleycoren.com/