Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 12:33

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default "Paleo" cat owners

This is a little off topic, but I have a young Siamese mix with hyperesthesia, a neurological disorder, and I am researching homeopathic, natural and/or dietary approaches to helping him. Does anyone here have experience with Rescue Remedy or any other non-prescription approaches to reducing stress for a somewhat looney cat?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 12:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

No idea! Wow, a siamese, they're such awesome cats. Are you feeding raw? Avoiding grains? I assume you are. I don't know about cats but I've been reading good things about ALA and diabetic and gluten neuropathies. Vit. B too. Maybe it'd help your puddy tat?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 13:06

BF:

This little guy is a total hoot and a beauty, but he has what amounts to a panic disorder. He had to have a shot Saturday, and he has been hiding and chasing his tail and just generally freaking out ever since. All cats get hyperactive sometimes, but he is in real distress. This has happened before and ordinarily he'd be ok in a couple of days, but with 4th of July fireworks due, he's in a for a bad week.

We have just been feeding him good quality cat food (not on the recent recall list) but I am looking into some sort of vitamin supplementation since apparently the hyperesthesia may be connected with thiamin deficiency.

I'm leery of raw food, since I don't trust the meat to be parasite free.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 14:37
Experimenter

BF:

I don't trust pre-made cat food. They're too high in carbohydrates, contain ingredients cats were not designed to eat. The very best one I can find contains pumpkin. My poor siamese was verging on diabetes, got way too fat on canned food or kibble, even the quality stuff had rice or corn or even worse wheat. I put him on raw and supplement with sardines and extra Taurine and he's thriving! He is around 14 years old.

I'd rather deal with the parasites (which seems unlikely) than the problems that pre-made foods cause.

I would be suspicious that perhaps something in his food is affecting him neurologically. It sure does affect people that way, why not cats?

Whole Foods Market has some good frozen, cooked pet foods without most of the crap found in other pet foods. I use that sometimes, but most of the time I buy chicken thighs and cut them up, supplement with beef liver, sardine and beef/chicken pet food (raw) I get from Whole Foods. And when I'm out of everything else, I have Evo for him, but even though the can says "Next best thing to Raw Food Diet" I call it "Kitty Junk Food". His arthritis always bugs him after he eats that stuff.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Jul-02-07 at 14:42.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 10:59

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm getting an outdoor cat today! Finally, someone to eat sardines with!

She's a ~1 yr/old calico, spayed, with a proven history of mousing and squirreling. Perfect for me and my son. (He likes cats and has wanted one but is slightly allergic - we plan to let her have the run of the garage and yard.)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 13:51
Experimenter

BF:

Great! Sounds like a spiffy new friend. What're you going to feed her?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 16:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Great! Sounds like a spiffy new friend. What're you going to feed her?

She is spiffy! We just got her home about an hour ago. I've watered her and given her two sardines. I think I'll feed her a combination of things - like sardines, chicken and quality cat food - to start. When I find out what she likes and how she does, I'll branch out, maybe to raw chicken, etc. The previous caretakers had fed her soley on Purina Complete, so I didn't want to change her diet completely at first.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 16:54

Plan: a mixture
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

cat's should not eat cooked food like sardines, cals should not eat grains, veggies or fruits, cats should eat raw meat, bones and organs.

Nelson- yes rescue remedy does work well, but it sounds like your cat might need more, but like Nancy said I would guess that food has alot to do with it, so lets start with rescue remedy and a new diet
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 17:18

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
This is a little off topic, but I have a young Siamese mix with hyperesthesia, a neurological disorder, and I am researching homeopathic, natural and/or dietary approaches to helping him. Does anyone here have experience with Rescue Remedy or any other non-prescription approaches to reducing stress for a somewhat looney cat?

Feliway would most likely be a better product for your cat than Rescue. It is a little late for it to be effective for the fourth, but research it on the internet and discuss it with your veterinarian.

The same goes for diet (discussing it with your doctor). I am unaware of an established link between diet and hyper-e. Of course, I may be behind in the times as far as feline medicine. If you regular veterinarian does not offer alternative medicine modalities, there are plenty who do that you could consult at least on any dietary concerns. Especially if you'd like information regarding placing your companion on a proper BARF diet if you go in that direction. Also, there are feline-specific practitioners who may have more resources available to you if your current doctor is general/mixed.

Last edited by fetch : Tue, Jul-03-07 at 17:24.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 17:44

BF:

This cat is going to be treated much better than where she came from, and will have opportunities to eat a more natural diet consistent with her carnivore genes. I will not, however, dote over her as a child nor will I go to great expense to save her life or invest an inordinate amount of time researching the latest on feline health. She is a cat and a pet, after all, and while I will enjoy that as such, my extra-moral energies and money will go to human causes.

Okay, I had to get that behind me. Now, I am interested in learning more about how I might feed her raw meats, etc., particularly if I can just glean them from what we're eating.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 18:13

BF:

Meet weejit.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 18:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteusOne
This cat is going to be treated much better than where she came from, and will have opportunities to eat a more natural diet consistent with her carnivore genes. I will not, however, dote over her as a child nor will I go to great expense to save her life or invest an inordinate amount of time researching the latest on feline health.

Get back to us after she's been part of the family for a year or two. Remember, we didn't domesticate cats. They domesticated us. They have ways.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 19:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
Get back to us after she's been part of the family for a year or two. Remember, we didn't domesticate cats. They domesticated us. They have ways.

Sure will! (And, I hear you.)
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 21:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/158/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

I am doing atkins but I have had several cats in my life, always fed the store bought stuff or whatever they could steal from my plate. One cat I had liked to take my waffles and and hide them under furniture (of course pre lc days). However back to the subject of what people feed their cats, even with all the stuff they could get from us they often went outside and caught, killed and ate birds, mice, ect raw and completely. I never stopped them because nature was telling them they needed it. I had a cat I think was a bit batty myself. She'd snuggle you then turn around and swipe at your eyes (she was with us and her mother from birth so abuse was not a possibility) I never really knew they could have psychological problems like humans (though it should seem common sense.)
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 21:57
Experimenter

BF:

Ah, what a face, what a face! Too sweet.