Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 13:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

I used CO for a month or so and the extra calories caused me to gain weight. I stop using it and the weight starting to come off again. Nothing is ever that easy for me!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 17:43

Plan: The Stress Eating Cure
Stats: 239.2/225/160 Female 5'6"
BF:48%/45%/33%
Progress: 18%

I've been using coconut oil for over 4 months. I eat several Tbs a day in the form of coconut bark. It's hard to say if its helped with any weight loss. It certainly hasn't prevented me from losing. It does a great job at curing my chocolate cravings. It is said to be anti-viral as well and I haven't had the slightest tingling of a herpes outbreak since using it.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 23:17

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenders
I've been using coconut oil for over 4 months. I eat several Tbs a day in the form of coconut bark. It's hard to say if its helped with any weight loss. It certainly hasn't prevented me from losing. It does a great job at curing my chocolate cravings. It is said to be anti-viral as well and I haven't had the slightest tingling of a herpes outbreak since using it.

That is an interesting point. I don't mention this very often but if you read the coconut oil research center web site, you will read some claims about it curing AIDS...I'm just sayin"

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Dec-25-07, 14:57
Registered Member

Plan: meat,vegies,fats
Stats: 175/150/130 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 56%

Coconut Oil Is Antifungal , Antiviral , Candida , Parasites Helps Cure Diseases Its Die Off U Cant Be Allergic To It Its Great For Ur Immune System And Heals The Gut Too And Over All Body Ps- Die Off Means Ur Killing The Bad Bateria Yeast Etc In Ur Gut So If U Were Eating It U Might Feel Sick Because Ur Getting Better
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Dec-25-07, 19:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I disagree about the "can't be allergic to it" part. Coconut oil allergies might be rare, but they still do exist. Basically, a coconut oil allergy would be a very severe coconut allergy.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-08, 22:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla
I disagree about the "can't be allergic to it" part. Coconut oil allergies might be rare, but they still do exist. Basically, a coconut oil allergy would be a very severe coconut allergy.

Would an allergic reaction cause a rash on the skin? My DH has developed an additional rash while treating some bad spots on his skin, due to my insistance. He has stopped using the CO for now.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-08, 09:35
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Would an allergic reaction cause a rash on the skin? My DH has developed an additional rash while treating some bad spots on his skin, due to my insistance. He has stopped using the CO for now.
Anyone can be allergic or sensitive to anything. One of the common symptoms of an allergy/sensitivity is a skin rash.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 10:31

Plan: whey protein
Stats: 135/110/110 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have a good feeling about coconut in general, it always sets well on the stomach. I notice that subconsciously I avoid foods that don't set well. I like to feel good after I eat, not queasy. Without specifically planning to, I tend to buy coconut milk a lot and use it in smoothies. Also skin topicals that contain coconut tend to work well on fair sensitive skin. My mind says, "Ah, coconut - always a good ingredient."

Last edited by csusie : Sun, Jan-13-08 at 14:14.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 09:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I spent some time scouring the 'net for studies, and it seems that there is no evidence (or spotty evidence at best) that CO increases metabolism. Yes, it's a fabulous food and has unique metabolic properties, but it's a stretch to say it increases metabolism. If it's a stall-buster, it's probably for other reasons.

I've been eating tons of coconut products over the last few weeks, since I gave up dairy, and my weight has stayed the same. I think what would have been an energy deficit was balanced out by an increase in hunger. Ultimately, you can't fool your body. :/
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-08, 10:16
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 165/141/116 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:26%
Progress: 49%

You might look up Dr. Bruce Fife's website. He has loads of research on Virgin CO. Also, the Weston A Price Foundation has a lot to say about coconut oil.
One thing I remember off hand about it in relation to metabolism, is that Ranchers tried feeding it to livestock to put on weight/fat. After a trial period they gave up using it and went to corn/soy oil because the CO made the animals lose bodyfat and gain muscle! Sally Fallon and Dr. Mary Enig wrote a book about CO called, "Eat Fat, Lose Fat". It was very informative.
I use it off and on, I'm not in a stall so I forget to use it. But it is soooo good for you medicinally, that's for sure!

Eden
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 19:05

BF:

As I said before, coconut has helped me break a stall. I would also like to add that in addition to CO, intermittent fasting has been very helpful in continuing weightloss. I went from eating 4-6 times a day to eating twice a day. It has made a difference. True stalls can be a biotch but giggling, experiementing, tweaking is the best way to work it. Don't give up the low carbs.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 10:51
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'm currently taking CO in softgel form, which I'm hoping will have some kind of positive effect. (I'm also taking additional D3.)

Black57 is eating twice a day IFing for you? Or is that just what you do now? My eating patterns are all kinds of screwy because I have a newborn (7 weeks old today) so whenever I can't go back to my "old ways" I always try to review my options for changing things up.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 17:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
I'm currently taking CO in softgel form, which I'm hoping will have some kind of positive effect. (I'm also taking additional D3.)

Black57 is eating twice a day IFing for you? Or is that just what you do now? My eating patterns are all kinds of screwy because I have a newborn (7 weeks old today) so whenever I can't go back to my "old ways" I always try to review my options for changing things up.

Lisa, I am doing IFing twice a day. I believe that if I lived alone, I would alternate once a day and twice a day. But, if I had a 7 week old baby, I would just concentrate on low carb food. However, fasting helps gives me the opportunity to pig-out and I have always loved eating like a hog . I plan on eating as a low carb IFer forever more. IMHO, fasting has become a very important part of my low carb diet. Both lifestyles go hand-in-hand.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-08, 13:09
Registered Member

Plan: meat,vegies,fats
Stats: 175/150/130 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden7
You might look up Dr. Bruce Fife's website. He has loads of research on Virgin CO. Also, the Weston A Price Foundation has a lot to say about coconut oil.
One thing I remember off hand about it in relation to metabolism, is that Ranchers tried feeding it to livestock to put on weight/fat. After a trial period they gave up using it and went to corn/soy oil because the CO made the animals lose bodyfat and gain muscle! Sally Fallon and Dr. Mary Enig wrote a book about CO called, "Eat Fat, Lose Fat". It was very informative.
I use it off and on, I'm not in a stall so I forget to use it. But it is soooo good for you medicinally, that's for sure!

Eden

i agree with u!! i love weston a price and mercola im on the low carb grain free diet ...
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 21:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

What brand is everyone using? Is the LuAna okay from Walmart or should I go to a health food store?

Piano