Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 07:42
feels like today

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 203.5/187.5/145 Female 5ft. 1in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzyanna
I guess I was the only one that didn't like this recipe and I wanted to SO BADLY!!!!! LOL

How did you make it? I added a little maple extract to my cream cheese and it tasted just like french toast. Just wondering what you added?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 23:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by klc145
How did you make it? I added a little maple extract to my cream cheese and it tasted just like french toast. Just wondering what you added?

I made it like the recipe called for but couldn't get past the eggy taste. I think if I stay on this diet long enough, it will taste better. LOL The maple sounds great though.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-05, 07:46
Registered Member

Stats: 130/130/105 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I made the Mock Danish version and I also couldn't get past the eggy taste and it was too sweet for me. I'll try this crepe version- maybe by having the egg in a thin layer, the egg taste will be disguised by the cream cheese. I, too, wanted so much to like the cream cheese/egg recipes. I guess I have to deprogram myself from thinking that eggs are meant to be eaten with hard cheeses, onion and salsa!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 06:47
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 286/286/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for this recipe. I love to cook and variety is the only thing that will keep me on this SB diet. I think a tsp. of all fruit would be a great addition also. I am a newbie and have tried to remove all starches from my kitchen. Would you belive that this week I've been loaded with company and have fed everyone low carb to rave reviews. I've been stirfrying mounds of fresh veggies. Delicious and legal. This egg recipe sounds great, I'm going to try cooking it in a crepe maker and see if I can server it for a company dessert also.
Rubinesque.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 19:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 220/154/140 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 83%

'cr' stands for 'cream'. Cream cheese.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 04:37
Registered Member

Stats: 286/286/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Default Rubinesque

I've had great fun with this recipe.I happen to have a little crepe maker but a small frying pan would be fine. I don't put any flavoring in the eggs so that I may go sweet or savory with the crepes. I make a batch and keep them in zip lock bags for a few days at a time. you can then take them out, fill them and either heat up in a frying pan, oven, or nuke them for a few seconds. I've filled them with a few slices of apples cooked in diet cream soda and apple pie spice or a tsp. of allfruit and crm. cheese or riccotta which I put the vanilla or any flavor extract and a half pack of splenda or sf maple syrup. I've filled them with tuna and a little shredded cheese or chicken and veggies. I just use them as a regular crepe and no one knows the difference. With the cheese in the middle with a little fresh fruit on top, it's delicious. My non dieting freinds never knew the difference. Don't use cottage cheese, it gets too runny.

Last edited by Rubinesque : Sat, Jan-14-06 at 04:39. Reason: spelling
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 09:48

Plan: Atkins (calories count)
Stats: 204/148/150 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Cat28 "cr cheese"=cream cheese.

TAMA, I gotta tell ya I am not one to try new things. I do like the deep dish pizza recipe, but mostly I stick to the basics. I made your posted recipe this morning and OH MY! My 2 year old tried to take it away when she got a taste! It was awesome, very easy, I love it! I used Xylitol though, instead os splenda, less carbs. Thanks for posting!
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 10:30
Atkins on the Beach!

Plan: high fiber/low glycemic
Stats: 245/224/150 Female 5'3"
BF:have/no/idea
Progress: 22%

This sounds good!! Will have to try it soon. We made lemon ricotta pancakes last weekend that turned out really well. Will post the recipe when I get some time . . .
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 07:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 191/121/140 Female 5ft 5in
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 137%

I have tried this before and it is pretty darn good.
I believe it is from suzanne somers book or similar to it.

#40   ^
Old Mon, Oct-02-06, 11:53

Stats: 228/192/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

This sounds incredibly yummy! I'll have to try it, thanks for the recipe!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-06, 09:28
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Yaaaay! Another awesome food thanks to the LC recipe board!

OK, I wanted to make this recipe, but had a couple issues, like,

1 - I was afraid it would be eggy. Egg and sweet sound disgusting to me. To me, eggs are made for savory stuff unless the taste of them is hidden.

2 - I wanted to make more, so my kid could have some too

3 - I wanted to get a little more 'other stuff' in like flaxmeal, protein powder, and given that normal crepes are made with flour, I thought at least a tiny bit of the stuff might contribute (though it adds carbs). I thought that might also mask some of the egg flavor.

I decided to go sweet since all my protein powder is sweet.

(I've ordered some 'plain' designer whey from netrition, not sure if it is sweet or not, but I thought I would try that with a savory when it arrives. The idea of frying some garlic, chopped onions, mushrooms, and sliced peppers up, maybe with a tiny bit of cooked-shredded chicken, sounds awesome.)

So I used (I call these):

Egg+ Crepes

3 eggs (I used large)
2 Tablespoons butter (melted, I used unsalted)
1 oz cream cheese (greatly softened)
1 teaspoon almond flour (I used the course meal)
1 teaspoon flax meal (golden)
1 teaspoon protein powder (I used designer whey vanilla-praline)
1 teaspoon carbsense baking mix (kinda like carbquick)
1 Tablespoon DaVinci Maple(pancake) syrup (it's a sweetener too)
(I meant to add some kind of spice but forgot!)

Filling:
~1/2 cup ricotta (I didn't measure, sorry. Maybe more.)
1 Tbsp SF jam (mix into ricotta)
1 pkt Splenda (mix into ricotta)
1 teaspoon each of SF jam (for the top)

It made 5 crepes in my 8" pan.

Nutrition, Summary:

Totals for the five crepes: Cal 585.04 Fat 53.26 Carb 4.64 Fiber 1.17 Protein 23.8 (ECC 3.47)

Total per crepe (1/5): Cal 117.01 Fat 10.65 Carb .93 Fiber .23 Protein 4.76 (ECC .70)

You'll need to add the counts for whatever filling you use, to the above.

How I made it

I whisked that a bunch until it was smooth except the cream cheese was in little pieces, maybe 3-5 millimeter sized pieces. The batter was thin.

I took an 8" shallow saute pan, heated it, sprayed a quick-distant coverage of nonstick spray (I didn't want a lot so it would 'fry' in it), and poured just enough (I'm guessing 1/2 cup) from my batter pour-bowl, that when I picked up the pan and slowly turned it so it covered the bottom, and then slowly rotated it a bit so the bit of extra would go around the bottom of the sides a few times and even out in the pan. I let them cook for about a minute or so on low heat, until when I picked up the pan and turned it a little, I could see the top-middle was 'set' and not liquid.

As it wasn't slippery enough to try some "pan flip" technique (... which I doubt I'd be good at!), I have this oversized flat spatula, and I gently turned the pan, with the spatula held outside it, and gradually slipped the crepe off the pan onto the spatula, and then gently flipped the whole thing over and back into the pan, sometimes turned it to slide it a little to the center, and put it back on to cook for about a minute on the other side. Obviously someone who is expert at crepes or has a crepe-maker wouldn't have to be so creative.

I re-sprayed the pan between each crepe. When done, I flipped the pan over above a plate to drop it out.

They actually sort of browned in spots, it looked nicer than just plain eggy.

I mixed a little Ricotta cheese (I forgot how I detest the gloppy texture of the stuff, and I didn't measure how much, I am guessing 1/2 to 3/4 cup) with 1 pkt of Splenda and a Tablespoon of SF/LC jam (apricot in this case). I spread some all over each crepe -- not a ton -- and rolled them up. Then I put a little bit of the same SF jam along the top of each.

Comments

This was unbelievably good.
My 10 year old kid was like, "This is incredible! Give me more!" She doesn't like that kind of jam (I didn't realize) and she still scarfed down two.

It is a very sweet result (the recipe above) but great -- this is as much a dessert as a breakfast frankly.

I really did not taste the egg to any appreciable extent that interfered with the sweet. I think the added ingredients and davinci kind of overpowered it.

Driving my kid to school, I realized that I could have spread butter on one of these, and then mixed something like cinnamon and sweetener and then sprinkled all over and rolled it up. I was sorry I'd eaten all mine then as that sounded so good! I think next time I'll use some apple pie spice (cinnamon nutmeg allspice blend) with the batter, and do that instead. Maybe using a stick mixer to mix soft cream cheese, butter, and the cinnamon-sweet for the inside would be good. Yummmmm.

Nutrition, detail (I had to do this anyway so thought I'd share it in case someone wants to subtract one thing or vary something, it'll be easier to figure out your version if you have the detail):

Eggs, large, three: Cal 252 Fat 18 Carb 2 Fiber 0 Prot 18

Almond Meal/Flour 1/4cup: Cal 160 Fat 14 Carb 6 Fiber 3 Prot 6
1/4 cup = 4 tablespoons = 12 teaspoons, so 1/12 (1 teaspoon) of that is:
Almond Meal/Flour 1 teaspoon: Cal 13.33 Fat 1.17 Carb .50 Fiber .25 Prot .50

2 Tablespoons butter (unsalted): Cal 204 Fat 23 Carb 0 Fiber 0 Prot 0

1 oz cream cheese: Cal 88 Fat 10 Carb 1 Fiber 0 Prot 2

Flax Meal, Golden, 2.5 Tbsp: Cal 100 Fat 7 Carb 6 Fiber 6 Prot 3
2.5 Tbsp = 7.5 teaspoons (rounded to 8 for count) so 1/8 (1 tsp) is:
Flax Meal, Golden 1 teaspoon: Cal 12.5 Fat .88 Carb .75 Fiber .75 Prot .38

Protein Powder, Designer Whey, Vanilla-Praline, 1 Scoop: Cal 90 Fat 1.5 Carb 2 Fiber 0 Prot 18
1 scoop = ~ 3 Tbsp = 9 tsp, so 1/9 of that would be:
Designer Whey Protein Vanilla-Praline 1 Teaspoon: Cal 10 Fat .17 Carb .22 Fiber 0 Prot 2

CarbSense Baking Mix 1/2 cup: Cal 125 Fat 1 Carb 4 Fiber 4 Prot 22
1/2c = 8 Tbsp = 24 tsp so 1/24 of that would be:
CarbSense Baking Mix 1 teaspoon: Cal 5.21 Fat .04 Carb .17 Fiber .17 Prot .92

1 Tablespoon DaVinci Maple(pancake) syrup: zero everything
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 10:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/267.5/200 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default This was

absolutley the best recipe. I never knew eggs and cream cheese tasted so good together. Thanks
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 01:09

Stats: 230/210/160 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%
Thumbs up yum

just wanted to say that i made this and it is really good - though the first time i tried, i burned the egg - trying to get my daughter ready for school and cook at the same time (argh). i had a couple of slices of canadian bacon on the side as i like some salty with my sweet.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 16:18
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 180/166/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Just tried this for the first time- WONDERFUL! I used butternut flavoring (for my past life that included making and eatin butternut pound cakes) and it was really good. I just needed a quick snack. it was sweet and filling- I'll definitely make this again! Thanks for posting this recipe.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 16:46
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/keckwick
Stats: 282/248/210 Male 73
BF:%/34%/25%
Progress: 47%

What about some davinci whisked into the eggs with some cinnamon, then do the cheese on top? I'm gonna try this this weekend.