Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 09:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It's probably not the fiber, but what else goes with it: gluten. I can eat loads of fiber as in coconut flour or flax meal or almond flour and have perfect poop. But you put some dairy or wheat in the mix and I'm back to #6 on the Bristol scale.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 09:27

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Batspit, Do you think your Mum (or anyone else ) remembers wether the environmental allergies were there while you were being breast fed?

Interesting question. I will inquire.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 18:34
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos
Ysabella, sorry, missed your 1st post in all this boom.

Hmm…Generalization? The one of the very first tricks in beginner sophists set? I’ll rather stay unprovoked.
To me, it’s clear as daylight, human milk for babies. Bovine is for calves. OK?

I was only trying to provoke a comparison between the excitotoxic possibilities of simple amino acids vs effects of opioids, but you don't have to be interested. I guess it came off somehow rude to you, but that wasn't my intention.

Quote:
First, to see the other side of their state after dairy elimination is done. Otherwise, there are no comparison criteria.
Second, claimed neutral effects are dubious in the long run.
Third, their view could be somewhat distorted due to daily casomorphin intake. It’s like inveterate alcoholic saying alcohol doesn’t harm him at all.

How is this different from meat, though? You would have to stop eating it to see if it was causing problems, too.

Quote:
Yes, I meant the recent study published at the esteemed PNAS org. where the researchers looked at genetic material harvested from northern European Neolithic skeletons dating back some 7000-7500 years and found DNA obtained from these skeletons lacks lactase-persistence-associated allele.

Okay, you read at esteemed sites, not news items. So noted. The keyword "persistence" is all I wanted to make clear.

Quote:
And less than 7000 yrs as compared to near 3 million years of hunting lifestyle is such an infinitesimal value for humans to adapt to this dietary change. By reputable scientific accounts it would take about 50 thousand years for us to be able to use these ‘new’ foods well…if ever.

I'm not convinced that means we should stop adapting, though.

Quote:
I personally prefer my children to be perfectly-molded metabolic machine of paleolithic ancestry rather than grow feeble with heavy reliance on addictive lure of grains and dairy.

All the best of health to your family.
  #79   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 19:53
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eos
I personally prefer my children to be perfectly-molded metabolic machine of paleolithic ancestry rather than grow feeble with heavy reliance on addictive lure of grains and dairy.

... feeble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella

Ditto
  #80   ^
Old Fri, May-25-07, 02:59

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
I was only trying to provoke a comparison between the excitotoxic possibilities of simple amino acids vs effects of opioids

Excitoxins in amino acids?? Source? To me, that would be very unwise of nature. As far as I know the most wide-sread excitotoxins are aspartame and MSG.
Quote:
How is this different from meat, though? You would have to stop eating it to see if it was causing problems, too.

Certainly. Some people are sensitive to amides or arachidonic acids. Noone makes meat an absolute virtue. The same mindset should taken towards dairy.
Quote:
I'm not convinced that means we should stop adapting, though.

Even if it makes us morphin-addicts?
Quote:

Many thx. The same sincere wishes to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebrace
... feeble?

What’s wrong with that? Is there any peculiar connotation for word “feeble”?
  #81   ^
Old Fri, May-25-07, 13:25
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos
Excitoxins in amino acids?? Source? To me, that would be very unwise of nature. As far as I know the most wide-sread excitotoxins are aspartame and MSG.

The excitotoxins are amino acids in both of those cases. Aspartame breaks down into (among other things) aspartate. MSG breaks down into sodium and glutamate. It's the aspartate and the glutamate that people claim gets somehow to the brain. Tomatoes, seaweed, mushrooms, human milk, and of course meat will deliver glutamate into the bloodstream. Cabbage, fish, spirulina, and egg whites deliver aspartate. There is no chemical difference.

Quote:
Certainly. Some people are sensitive to amides or arachidonic acids. Noone makes meat an absolute virtue. The same mindset should taken towards dairy.

Probably towards everything. The line between food and drugs is a very fuzzy one. I'm sure many of us would consider chocolate to be both.

Quote:

Why not? What is actually wrong with something affecting the pleasure centers of the brain? It does not cause any injury. Pleasure is an important component of eating.
All foods have an effect on the body and maybe the brain, directly or indirectly. Surely many foods can form addictions? If not the food itself, the ritual of eating it.
And if there are any cultures out there that use no drugs of any kind, I've never heard of them. Many drugs are so ancient that nobody knows when humans started using them. Animals have been found using them, such as birds swarming a tree with fermenting cherries on it and falling drunk to the ground.

Quote:
Many thx. The same sincere wishes to you.

#82   ^
Old Fri, May-25-07, 16:43

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 100%

I discovered cheese made me have zits, so I stopped, and it's really improved. I think any time I have butter, or anything mildly dairy, I have a case of a zit or two. But when I don't eat dairy, I don't get any zits! It's a miracle and motivates me not to ever touch cheese or milk again. The occasional pad of butter or heavy cream is acceptable occasionally; for instance, if I'm eating out and need a source of fat in my meal, I'll load on the butter and deal with the couple of zits that come along in a day later.

I don't believe zits are 'normal' or healthy. We weren't meant to have zits. I guess from reading some of the above posts, we weren't meant to fart much either. I agree with that comment.

I also have problems with whey and other fillers; they make me feel horrible and get zits. Other than that, I don't really have allergies so long as I avoid veggies and fruit. I had my fill of cherries around noon, and they caused stomach pains and now I'm having, eh shall we say gastric minus the tric. Brussel sprouts may be "High in Vitamin K", but they make me poop more, so I doubt I'm getting any of that "Vitamin K" going on..I'll just stick to meat and less fiber-filled foods. I do like macadamia nuts though! They rule, mainly because I'm not used to eating them much, but I have no visible problems from eating them.

I don't think chocolate is bad..I think it's great! I have chocolate every day. Dark, very very dark chocolate, made by Ghiradelli. I tried that erythritol powder in chocolate, and if I'm allergic to anything, it's erythritol! Had the worst headache from eating it. And I read something in the newspaper about how dog's get deathly ill from eating diabetic candy due to the substitute sugar-alcohols in them. They cause a fake insulin spike; this, I'm very sure happened to me. I like to compare myself to my dog, she's a carnivore, and can eat some grass on the side, just like I can eat cilantro and some chocolate and nuts (though dogs can't eat macadamia nuts..its poison to them).

As of late, I'm concentrating on feeling better. I have had a nonstop 2 day headache, and it kind of vanished (but is still kind of there) when I took my first dosage of 6 drops of Lugol's iodine solution just earlier today. I wonder if iodine makes us more tolerant to glucose; this is something that interests me very much.
  #83   ^
Old Fri, May-25-07, 17:38

BF:

Quote:
The excitotoxinsa are amino acids in both of those cases….. Tomatoes, seaweed, mushrooms, human milk, and of course meat will deliver glutamate into the bloodstream. Cabbage, fish, spirulina, and egg whites deliver aspartate. There is no chemical difference.
I see what you meant now. But for god’s sake, Ysabella, how can you compare naturally-gifted good with artificial chemo-shit??? It’s like throwing a few berries into arsenic for sweetness and calling it healthy.

First, bonded glutamate and aspartate, found naturally in foods are used by the brain only in very, very small concentrations - no more than 8 to 12ug. Whereas artificial glutamate, aspartate concentration rise above this level so that the neurons begin to fire abnormally. At higher concentrations, the cells undergo a specialized process of cell death (yes, Eades is right, the brain cells literally become excited to death).
Second, natural bonded GLU, ASP are less dangerous because they are broken down and absorbed by the gut, so that it can be utilized by the tissues, especially muscle, before toxic concentrations can build up.
Quote:
Food GLU/ASP comes in the form of proteins, which contain 20 other amino acids, and take time to digest, slowing the release of protein bound GLU/ASP like a "timed-release capsule." This in turn moderates the rise in blood levels of GLU/ASP. Also, when GLU and ASP are received by the liver (first stop after intestinal absorption) along with 20 other aminos, they are used to make various proteins. This also moderates the rise in blood GLU/ASP levels. Yet when the single amino MSG is rapidly absorbed (especially in solution - e.g. soups, sauces and gravies), not requiring digestion, human and animal experiments show rapid rises in GLU, 5 to 20 times normal blood levels (2). ASPTM is a dipeptide - a union of 2 aminos- and there exist special di- and tripeptide intestinal absorption pathways that allow rapid and efficient absorption (21). The dipeptides are then separated into free aminos, and as with free MSG there will be a rapid rise in blood ASP. Thus the characteristics of food-bound GLU/ASP and MSG/ASPTM are completely different.
http://www.antiaging-systems.com/ex...xcitotoxins.htm

Quote:

Quote:
Why not? What is actually wrong with something affecting the pleasure centers of the brain?

*chokes* Are you being serious? Do you really wish our future generation to be neurochemotoxic crowd, easily-manipulated and loaded with bunch of cognitive, behavioral physiological and sexual dysfunctions:? Do you? :O Well, then, alas, nothing more to be said.

Capo, that’s very familiar story. A friend of mine has got rid of tiresome zits by just avoiding dairy and grains. …With weight loss as a side-effect for beach season
  #84   ^
Old Sat, May-26-07, 08:50
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos

*chokes* Are you being serious? Do you really wish our future generation to be neurochemotoxic crowd, easily-manipulated and loaded with bunch of cognitive, behavioral physiological and sexual dysfunctions:? Do you? :O Well, then, alas, nothing more to be said.

Eos, do you mean like every infant mammal (ie. not just humans) during their suckling period, throughout evolution ? Or do post weaning mammals perhaps suddenly become more prone to the effects of that awful addictive casein stuff ?
  #85   ^
Old Sat, May-26-07, 11:16

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebrace
Eos, do you mean like every infant mammal (ie. not just humans) during their suckling period, throughout evolution ? Or do post weaning mammals perhaps suddenly become more prone to the effects of that awful addictive casein stuff ?

I was breastfed for a year, and never had a problem with dairy until I discovered cream cheese gave me zits while I was doing intermittent fasting low carb.

I believe we stop producing the enzymes to break down casein in milk some time after infancy is past. Then again, perhaps everyone is different and there's no specific allergic food that will cause an allergic reaction for everyone. But like you, kneebrace, I don't believe in that. People just show their symptoms a little differently. So, I'm of Asian and Scots-Irish decent; it's just too easy to say everyone's different. We're all human beings of the same species, and we all evolved under the same conditions (because we are of the same species and don't show variation in our species homo sapiens). It's not like people who can digest milk are Rhesus monkeys and people who can't are humans. We are the same, because our genes are the same.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, May-26-07, 11:41

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos
So sad to see people fervently defending their rooted addictions….

Eos, I defended my addictions for a long time and it took me a while to realize that. I understand from that point of view that it was never the "whole" me doing the defending, but only the emotional part.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, May-26-07, 15:37

BF:

Not to miss…

Here is the link from another thread on cow’s and human milk proteins difference.
What caught me in particular is that
Quote:
human milk containing only 30 per cent as much total nitrogen and only 25 per cent as much protein nitrogen as does cow’s milk
So, overload on nitrogen in cow’s milk is likely to lead to hyperammoniemia-like symptoms, described at this thread repeatedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteusOne
only the emotional part.

Proteus, agree. And while the emotions enjoy a persistent superiority, no point to call to reason.

Hopefully, one day we can talk with those vehement defenders …..as they go through withdrawal course
  #88   ^
Old Sat, May-26-07, 15:58
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos

Here is the link from another thread on cow’s and human milk proteins difference.
What caught me in particular is that So, overload on nitrogen in cow’s milk is likely to lead to hyperammoniemia-like symptoms, described at this thread repeatedly.

Eos, meat contains considerably more nitrogen than the milk of any mammal (As do many other low carb foods). You aren't suggesting that meat is not a perfectly healthy part of the adult human diet are you ?. Who said anything about 'overloading' on dairy.

I thought we were talking about lactose/casein intolerance, both of which are known to occur, just not that often (particularly casein intolerance).
If you are either then my heart goes out to you, and I'm certainly not criticising you for that (or any other sensitivity for that matter). But it will help if you stop trying to foist your condition onto the vast majority of the human race for whom dairy (particularly low carb dairy) is a perfectly healthy food .

Last edited by kneebrace : Sat, May-26-07 at 19:46.
  #89   ^
Old Sun, May-27-07, 02:37

BF:

The most inappropriate comparison I’ve ever seen. Nutritional bonding and density is way different in meat. Besides, it won’t lead to ammonia build-up in the blood, if meat protein is balanced by fat. Otherwise, Inuits, Ainu and Nivkhi could have died of hyperammonemia long ago.

And KB, calm down n drink your dairy, I’m not complotting to wean you from the drug and make you thus unhappy.
  #90   ^
Old Sun, May-27-07, 02:50
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

Dairy is not perfectly healthy for the vast majority of the human race. Please go back to your own forum, this is the forum for people who are eating a diet not compatable with agricultural practices such as milking animals. This forum is for people who eat the bodies of dead animals, not the secretions of live ones.

If you do want to start an inter-forum conflict, there is a Low Carb Warzone designed with your needs in mind. I'm sure you'll find enough allies and enemies to keep you perfectly entertained.