Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 06:44
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 172/165/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewsie
This is a bit of a shift, but for years in her childhood my daughter took ballet. The sewing moms made all the costumes and I helped them with simple tasks. We made heavier children look good, we were careful with how the costumes looked under the lights.

That has lead to obsessive clothing watching. I am amazed how people look from the back. A wrap around mirror ought to be in every home.

And "ITS AT ITS WORST IN CHURCH". The dreaded communion line!!!!!!

I would be happy to graduate to grocery cart watching!

Wow, are you kidding me? While I am recieving the body and blood of our Lord, you are staring at my rear view?
The dreaded communion line? Its not the catwalk for crying out loud!!
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 08:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/210.8/160 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casablanca
Wow, are you kidding me? While I am receiving the body and blood of our Lord, you are staring at my rear view?
The dreaded communion line? Its not the catwalk for crying out loud!!

I, for one, sometimes appreciate the abject honesty that is shared on these forums. Given the opportunity to see the Universe through someone else's eyes is amazing. On the other hand, if anyone here has discovered a means to control what others think when they look at us, I hope they will jump right up here with it.

In the meantime, I go about my business - hoping I don't have toilet paper trapped in my waistband (have you ever done THAT?), spinach in my teeth, or my nose covered w/ brown pollen from sniffing the fragrant lilies at the garden store. Ah, the humble human being human!
  #93   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 09:25
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I've always looked at other ppl's carts, bc I'm a huge foodie and I like to guess what they're going to be cooking later (or reheating, as the case may be). Now I look for dietary reasons too, but I don't judge bc generally, they're loaded up with the same foods I used to load up on! As a former veggie, I like spotting vegetarians. I do want to drag them from the fake meat section...yep, my Dominion has a fake meat section!

Mostly, I wonder what ppl are thinking of my cart. I don't do big shops, I do lots of little ones bc my food comes from all over the place. My last trip was for 10 cans of coconut milk (for my tea, bc I can't use dairy), almond meal, cocoa powder and chicken giblets (for the cats). I can just imagine the laugh someone got, picturing the ensuing dinner! Almond-cocoa chicken hearts in coconut milk, mmm.

And I love the self-checkout, bc I only have a few items at a time and I use cloth bags, so it's easier to pack my own. Some grocery checkouts (and all other store checkouts) are not accepting of or set up for using customer bags - this should soon be changing in my neck of the woods, yay!
  #94   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 12:07
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 172/165/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannadanc
I, for one, sometimes appreciate the abject honesty that is shared on these forums. Given the opportunity to see the Universe through someone else's eyes is amazing. On the other hand, if anyone here has discovered a means to control what others think when they look at us, I hope they will jump right up here with it.

In the meantime, I go about my business - hoping I don't have toilet paper trapped in my waistband (have you ever done THAT?), spinach in my teeth, or my nose covered w/ brown pollen from sniffing the fragrant lilies at the garden store. Ah, the humble human being human!

For ME, this is truly not something I need to discuss in this way and here. Its way to personal, sacred and special to demean the Eucharist this way. Its not an average, ordinary human experience (and certainly will never be compared to toliet paper and spinach in my teeth) and nor for me, will it ever be. I would be horrified to watch it become just another flame war. So excuse/ignore my comment and I withdaw from this discussion.
  #95   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 13:37

Stats: 222/210.8/160 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casablanca
For ME, this is truly not something I need to discuss in this way and here. I withdraw from this discussion.

#96   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 13:38
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

I read in the checkout line.

What's in someone else's cart isn't any of my business anyway. Nor do I care.
  #97   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 13:57

Plan: my own
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5 feet 2.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

I don't watch people's carts for anything but new stuff that intrigues me. I don't pay attention to what they eat. After all, I've seen too many times people walking up to heavy people and making snide comments about what they're eating.

They don't know if the person is getting their first basket of french fries in two years, or what. And to make snide remarks about how much fat is in that burger you're eating (Without the bun). I know nobody in here makes snide remarks, but I've seen too much of it.

And RE: Weight Watchers, it may "work" to get weight off, how healthy are these people consuming all that sugar. THis way of eating is to get healthy as well as lose the extra pounds.

As I said before, some other place, they push this low fat thing and there is a generation of overweight kids getting fatter and fatter, and there is more adult-onset diabetes among kids. Adults didn't get it until they were in their 50's+ but kids are getting it now. I just wish we could go back to pre 1970's when they said if you want to lose, cut out starches. They DID talk about calories, but not as much as now.
  #98   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 14:10

Plan: my own
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5 feet 2.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

I don't watch people's carts for anything but new stuff that intrigues me. I don't pay attention to what they eat. After all, I've seen too many times people walking up to heavy people and making snide comments about what they're eating.

They don't know if the person is getting their first basket of french fries in two years, or what. And to make snide remarks about how much fat is in that burger you're eating (Without the bun). I know nobody in here makes snide remarks, but I've seen too much of it.

And RE: Weight Watchers, it may "work" to get weight off, but how healthy are these people consuming all that sugar (Carbs turn into sugar the minute it hits your saliva). THis way of eating is to get healthy as well as lose the extra pounds.

As I said before, some other place, they push this low fat thing and there is a generation of overweight kids getting fatter and fatter, and there is more adult-onset diabetes among kids. Adults didn't get it until they were in their 50's+ but kids are getting it now. I just wish we could go back to pre 1970's when they said if you want to lose, cut out starches. They DID talk about calories, but not as much as now.
  #99   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 14:59

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

I normally don't watch what others have in their carts. I have enough to do making sure I bought everything I need, getting my credit card out, and reading tabloid headlines.

One day though, I was listening to the radio while I was getting dressed to go to the market. It was the song, "Sweet City Woman." Here are the lyrics:

Quote:
Well, I'm on my way, to the city life
To a pretty face that shines her light on the city nights
And I gotta catch a noon train
Gotta be there on time
Oh, it feels so good to know she waits at the end of the line

Swee-ee-eet, sweet city woman
I can see your face, I can hear your voice, I can almost touch you
Oh, my banjo and me, we got a feel for singin', yeah, yeah,

Bon c'est bon, bon bon c'est bon, bon,
Bon c'est bon, bon, bon, bon, bon
Bon c'est, bon, bon bon ci'estbon, bon,
Bon c'est bon, bon, bon, bon, bon
So long ma, so long pa, so long
Neighbors and friends

Like a country mornin', all snuggled in dew
Ah she's got a way to make a man feel shiny and new
And she sing in the evenin', oh familiar tunes
And she feeds me love and tenderness and macaroons

I can see your face, I can hear your voice, I can almost touch you
Oh, my banjo and me, we got a feel for singin'

[Instrumental break]

Da da da da da da ...

Swee-ee-eet, sweet city woman (oh, she's my)
Sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet city woman
Swee-ee-eet, sweet city woman (woah my)
Sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet city woman (everybody)
Sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet city woman (ba da da da, ba da da da)

[Repeat And Fade]

So, I hear this line about macaroons, and it sort of struck me that they were singing about macaroons, and it seemed so strange to have that word in a song...like, I really gave it a lot of thought!

Well, I was in the express line not 20 minutes later, and the person after me bought 3 items, and one of them was a pack of macaroons!

Other than that, I mostly don't notice what others buy...maybe once in a while. Usually, when it's a guy and all he has is beer and chips!
  #100   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 09:34

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

It must have been hard to think of something to rhyme with tunes. You probably didn't even realize that I was buying eggs, unsweetened coconut and stevia to make LC (and not very sweet) macaroons at home. LOL!
  #101   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 10:37
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

You guys are hilarious!

Now, given my size, I've gotten pretty darn used to people being unable to help themselves in their need to stare at me, my clothes, my shopping basket, etc. I don't think this is ego really; in general, I just don't consider myself important enough for anybody to care about, but it's pretty hard to miss how people "react" to you when you are something "different". I am huge but maybe other people get it for being a different race, or having a major visible tattoo, or whatever.

So, I sometimes feel a bit abashed for having lowcarb stuff in my basket, because when the person behind me is critically eyeing all the fat on the conveyor belt, I feel like my size is giving whole foods a bad name, so to speak. You know, like either the "No wonder she's...." or worse, "Now I see what eating like that does to a person." They don't know I've lost weight, cured a dozen medical symptoms with no drugs, etc. etc. I feel as if I am poorly representing lowcarb, which I would definitely like to positively represent.

My kids' class needs snacks bought for it, and aside from once in awhile fresh fruit, usually what they want is big boxes of cheese-its and stuff like that. So this probably seems like a real contradiction, but I seriously doubt anybody even notices that sort of thing, nobody cares enough for THAT much cart inspection. For some reason what tends to embarrass me the most is bacon on the conveyor belt. I just feel like that has such a bad rap.

Sure I look at people's baskets, for the same reason I look at headlines and children and flowers and the 172 overpriced small items on the other side of the checkout line that they would like me to impulse buy: I'm bored, I'm curious, and I'm stuck there while my walmart cashier, one of several dozen very nice women with oversized pupils clearly medicated into passive mode (I'm beginning to think the number of people NOT on anti depressants or other psyche drugs may be smaller than those who are), scans the stuff for the person in front of me.

I dunno how judgemental it is though. Mostly to me it's like a license plate game or making clouds into shapes. Guessing something about their household or their plans based on their food.

I admit to feeling desperately sympathetic when I see people with weight watchers stuff though, especially if they are overweight and looking pretty miserable to accompany it. I just feel like maybe they'd be less miserable joining a nice cult or something and giving their money to that instead of to a zillion frozen foods. I don't mean to knock the efforts or the group, I know many people have great results with them. I've just had the unfortunate bias of knowing a lot of people over time who've been involved with that, none of whom are currently at goal weight, all of whom professed to love it, but all of whom were patently miserable, and eventually gained MORE weight, which since they were my friends kinda bummed me out for them.

So last night when I went shopping at walmart, it was a few minutes in the produce section, a minute to grab something in the meat section, another minute to get eggs and cheese in the dairy section, and then a few non-food items and we were done. We'd merely walked around the edge of the shopping area quickly. So when I stand in the checkout line, 90% of what people have in their baskets, I never even went past.

I admit I do feel kind of sorry for women when I see them with several children and a giant basket stuffed with carbs. I think, that poor woman is probably exhausted if she is eating that stuff, fighting weight gain, etc. and doesn't even know why. It's not my job to evangelize, but I do wish that others didn't suffer the ignorance I myself did, especially since the long-term result of high-carb eating, unless someone is naturally built for that (and most aren't), is obesity.

I sometimes sigh when walking through the store itself. You know, most people just don't realize that the big lowfat banner on a product, or even low sugar, is usually accompanied by enough carbs to do far more harm than the fat or frankly the full sugar version would have. When I first went lowcarb, I was astounded while reading labels, and seeing that nearly every product with low-anything advertised on it had higher carbs! Like, lower sugar higher carbs -- what would be the point of that? Like carbs aren't sugar to the body? I just don't think people get it.

My father was telling me Friday on the way home from the airport, there was this "great diet pill that really works" and when I asked what it did it says, "It absorbs/blocks up to 40% of the fat..." and I nearly had a coughing fit. I said dad, why the hell would you want to do THAT? And before you choose to do that, can you tell me, (1) How much fat RESEARCH -- not drug ads -- says you should have, vs. (2) How much fat you are actually eating, so you know whether or not you SHOULD be reducing your fat? Of course he couldn't.

This is the guy who with his wife told me Atkins was bad because too much protein could give you kidney stones or whatever it was some 20/20 "investigation" made hype about. I asked how much protein a person needed based on weight, and how much protein they were testing on for that bad result, and how much protein Atkins recommended, and they had no answer for any of those.

I fail to understand how otherwise highly intelligent people can be complete morons when it comes to stuff on television. Maybe TV really is evil haha.

So this mentality carries into his shopping. He was horrified to discover that real ice cream with a sugar substitute had 'so much more fat' than the alternative diet ice cream with a long list of chemicals and hydrogenated whatever the trans-killer and so on. It's like total brainwashing. He has no idea why something is bad, only that it IS.

I suggested to him that eating fat making you fat, made as much sense as suggesting that eating tomatoes makes you red. (I read that somewhere recently and it cracked me up.) And pointed out that the growing obesity epidemic isn't from having more meat, which is what our species started with after all, but from having more processed crap, much of which is billed as 'low-fat' in the grocery store.

Blessedly he is not the person doing the cooking in his house, so he may live to learn better eventually. ;-)
  #102   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 10:51

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I never say anything when I see fat people with carb-laden carts, but I do feel sorry for them since that used to be me before I saw the light. I did get stares when I first went low carb and was stocking up on butter & fatty meats. Not that it is any of their business, but if you wore a t-shirt with your "before" picture on it, they could see that you lost 100 lbs eating like this!
  #103   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 12:10

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbbarb
I normally don't watch what others have in their carts. I have enough to do making sure I bought everything I need, getting my credit card out, and reading tabloid headlines.

Same here...

...grocery store shopping is normally a race for me, "Your mission, if you choose to accept: get in and out within 5 minutes!"
  #104   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 20:06

Stats: 305.4/295.8/180 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 8%

lol..yep i was doing that today...i went grocery shopping for the week and I was watching this lady use her weight watchers calculator while she was buying groceries..we were about the same size..i wanted to tell her so bad to come along with me because I'm starting something that will really work and she wont have to use that aggravating thing!
  #105   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 05:43

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

I went shopping Sunday but since I'm moving next week, I had to be careful what I bought so I don't save anything after this week. Lets see.... nuts, meat, cheese, heavy cream,... and brownie mix. The brownies are not for me, it's to say "thank you" to PetsMart for taking such good care of my doggie these past few years. My cart looked a scary mess! Oh, and green beans and lettuce. At least there was something in there!