Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 09:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/207/158 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:whoa%/yup%/18%
Progress: 27%
Default Cranky hungry Oatmeal eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
Once again, people just DONT GET IT. Your CR % is from your AD LIB INTAKE, as there are no other good control group. What don't people understand!?!?

Hmmm.... sounds like someones cranky! have some more oatmeal!

Quote:
And your previous Caloric intake was?

Quote:
Then no, you don't know your calorie intake. Did you weigh all your food? or guess portion sizes?

I weighed all my food. I know that on the given days that I measured it was between 1700 and 1900 calories.

Quote:
CR is about eating less, its not a particular diet.

There was a scientist on 20/20 about 15 years ago, and he ate no meat.

Quote:
its not for most people, at least extreme CR.

You got that right!

Quote:
Yes right, i'm telling lies

This is my breakfast

Quaker Rolled Oats (w/water) 50g
Bananas, raw 80g
Blueberries, raw 50g
Nuts, almonds, dried, unblanched 20g
Whey Protein drink (w/water) 25g
Walnuts 06g
Lindt Dark Chocolate Excellence 85% 10g
low fat stawberry yoghurt(omega3) 150g
Fish oil 5ml

it keeps me full from around 8am to 3pm when I come home from college.

I don't believe you! I dosen't jive with the science of blood sugar. One day you'll probably pass out and fall down the stairs (this happened to my friend who was on this diet when I was in college). Then the nurse will give you a glass of OJ to bring your blood sugar back up. 5ml of fish oil won't do you much good either. You need to up your intake if you want to take full advantage of fish oil.

Quote:
Oh i'm so sorry! maybe you should consider planning your diet better?

What the hell are you talking about? I planned my diets just fine, and they were all accepted by conventional wisdom. Really, that the best you could come back with?

Quote:
Red meat stinks (makes me feel sick), and eating meat and eggs everyday sounds rather dull. I love the taste of the HUGE variety of foods I get to enjoy -- with remarkable health... no need to change.

I don't eat eggs every day, and I don't gorge myself on meat. If you read the book you'd realize it's not about eating huge quantities of meat. That is a myth spouted on television, and even some people who claim to be on the diet (who have never read the book either). Actually I can't remember the last time I ate eggs. For breakfast I eat ALL BRAN cereal which has 52% of daily fiber per serving. Other days I eat 6oz. no sugar added yogurt. And some days I eat some type of meat (4oz.) with some type of vegtables.

Quote:
About 2000 people doing moderate CR. And its not starving yourself. You and neither do I know what starving ACTUALLY feels like. Theres a difference between a few stomach rumblings and starvation.

[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't like stomach rumblings either. Live a long and happy life oatmeal muncher! How is eating oatmeal everyday any less dull than all those people who eat eggs every single day? I get the funny feeling that all your ranting is really more about you trying to convince yourself on this diet. After all your hostility, why do you really care so much what any of us on this forum who don't agree with you think?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 09:57
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
After all your hostility, why do you really care so much what any of us on this forum who don't agree with you think?

I don’t find Whoa in the least hostile (but you are rather hostile to Whoa). It seems to me he’s always very polite and presents his arguments with extreme patience.

Last edited by KoKo : Mon, May-14-07 at 10:05.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 10:55

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
You would of rathered who her gain weight and die a decade or two earlier? Obviously I cant comment on just how thin your grandmother was... but 'thin' is ill looking to many, only because the 'new normal' is like a BMI of 25. So peoples perceptions change of what looks right and what doesn't. This is normal.

apparently you completely misunderstood what i was saying. my grandmother was about 5'10" and weighed around 122lbs. this puts her BMI at 17.5. she kept her diabetes and her body in the best shape she could for as long as she could, but it was medically necessary in order to avoid gross obesity and limb amputation. how many of your CRonbie cronies can claim the same?

look... you're young. and for that i can forgive you some of the trespasses of youth. i haven't forgotten what it was like to be 23, but i also know that at 23 i couldn't fathom what life would be like at 34. live your life however you want to live it, my original statement was simply that i didn't see the point.

and i STILL cannot understand what you're doing on a low-carb forum when your admitted breakfast is probably the last thing any of us would ever eat.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 11:23
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin142
I don't believe you! I dosen't jive with the science of blood sugar.

I eat plenty of fiber (40-70grams a day), fat and protein to last me a while. I am very insulin sensitive and don't have these blood sugar problems, I never have, no matter what I've eaten.

Quote:
5ml of fish oil won't do you much good either. You need to up your intake if you want to take full advantage of fish oil.[

I take cod liver oil/fish oil mix and it has 2800mg of EPA / DHA per 10ml. It's enough...
  #35   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 11:36
Registered Member

Quote:
apparently you completely misunderstood what i was saying. my grandmother was about 5'10" and weighed around 122lbs. this puts her BMI at 17.5. she kept her diabetes and her body in the best shape she could for as long as she could, but it was medically necessary in order to avoid gross obesity and limb amputation. how many of your CRonbie cronies can claim the same?

Well none of us can claim diabetes and its something that none of us CRers would ever likely get... but our oldest member just died at 104 years of age a few months ago. Unfortunately he was only CR'd since around 60yrs of age. I try to stick to the IF thread mostly. Isn't it so nice to discuss things though! It sounds as if some people get so worked up of discussing topics like this and I still don't understand why exactly. I like to take part in some discussions on this forum I must say... although a lot is based on anecdotal stuff, with very little acceptance or use of new and old scientific data for their lifestyles. Which is probably a big difference between what I'm usually used to in other online forums / communities / lists I use.

Last edited by Whoa182 : Mon, May-14-07 at 11:46.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 12:03
Registered Member

Quote:
I get the funny feeling that all your ranting is really more about you trying to convince yourself on this diet.

Well i've been doing it for over 2 years, I researched it for a year bfore I actually started. But don't you think its a good thing to actually explore other things too. I'm still waiting on research that shows a ketogenic diet extends maximum lifespan. I have doubts that it will but we'll see. I think its quite a healthy idea to question oneself or look for research to support the idea of doing CR. Engaging in debates is good, both for learning from others, and others learning from you. Although its sad that it turns personal, with lots of anecdotal stuff coming into it also. Like, "I ate oatmeal everyday and now i'm a diabetic" there for it must of been oatmeal cos it contains "carbs"... that kind of stuff, its bad

Last edited by Whoa182 : Mon, May-14-07 at 12:12.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 12:24
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

I believe to achieve true benefits of CR for longevity, one must starte earlier, and not be fat to begin with (not?). Starting CR at advanced age or after a massive weight loss, is not going promote longevity. Those who are naturally slim and eat little from the childhood, have better chance than former fatties IMO, damage can be cummilative.
But many folks automatically eat less as they get older, again, to my observation. I guess it has something to do with slowing down metabolism and digestive system capacity to handle massive amounts of food at one meal.
May be it is indeed better to graze (little portions thorught the day) than to have 3 larger structured meals.
I see this trend as I get older, so it has to be body self-regulation mechanism.
But again, how much is too much in terms of CR, 1800 calories does not seem too restrictive, and for me it is rather maintenance level.
Whoa,
I wonder if you are satisfied with 50g salmon and 13.g oilve oil (1tbs?)daily, I seem to need slightly more oil, like 2 tbs a day at least. Ok, salmon is optional, but isn't olive oil healthy?
Just some thoughts.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 12:30
Registered Member

Quote:
Engaging in debates is good, both for learning from others, and others learning from you.

sounds fair, but no one is interested in debates, ppl have their mind set on something that works for them, I think.
Quote:
Although its sad that it turns personal, with lots of anecdotal stuff coming into it also. Like, "I ate oatmeal everyday and now i'm a diabetic" there for it must of been oatmeal cos it contains "carbs"... that kind of stuff, its bad

I agree with you, it is silly to blame oatmeal and fresh fruit in becoming diabetic, ppl tend to forget hot dogs, burgers, fries, chips, and other fatty and junk food and processed sugar. However, those with hypoclycemia can't handle oatmeal either. So for them oatmeal is not anecdotal, but it does not mean it will lead to diabetes either.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 12:32
Registered Member

Sorry Dina that is just an example for that Particular day. Its just a snapshot.... Salmon is usually around 150g, on days I don't have salmon I have upto 40.5g of olive oil. I would have salmon every day if I could afford it
  #40   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 12:33

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

How can anything that tastes as lousy as oatmeal be healthy?
  #41   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 12:36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

Thats why I throw in all the other stuff in there like nuts and fruit... with 10-20g of 70-85% lindt dark chocolate on the top so it melts. I'm not sure I could eat it if I just had it plain.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 12:46
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry Dina that is just an example for that Particular day. Its just a snapshot.... Salmon is usually around 150g, on days I don't have salmon I have upto 40.5g of olive oil. I would have salmon every day if I could afford it

This explains it better, I can totally eat salmon everyday and 3 tbs olive oil is plenty to keep me happy.
I can't wait for the the local wild caight king salmon to be avaialbe, it is our almost daily dinner thorugh the summer.
I too prefer variety of food, so I indeed changed my diet around: mostly cold fish and seafood, veggies, fruits, and some starches, olive oil. Not for longevity but more for overall health and weiight loss. Cutting on sat. fat in form of red meat and dairy made huge difference, and eating more procude makes me less hungry too.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 12:52
Registered Member

Quote:

It is also a mater of taste, some find pork rinds and hot dogs delicious (yikes), while others like oats. Broccoli is not exactly the best tasting vegetable as well as kale, kollard greens, dandelion, and spinach to name few, but they are all very healthy. Unless you cook these greens with some fat (lard, cream, butter), they are far worse tasting than plain oatmeal.At least, it is not bitter.
But if you go by yummy=healthy, than for some it would be donuts, cakes, sticky buns, french fries, etc. Yummy but deadly.
JMO.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 13:04
Registered Member

Plan: DiPasquale Radical Diet
Stats: 301.5/260.2/260 Male 71
BF:25%/?%/15%

Seems idiotic to practice extreme CRONbie for an expected 2-3% life extension to become an addled and frail sexless drone. But to each his own! I admit to guilty voyeuristic pleasure at alternative deviate lifestyles like CRONbie on YouTube.

Kind regards
  #45   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 14:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:

I don't find it tastes 'lousy'. I make morning oatmeal with unflavored soymilk. I add some peanut butter and egg whites to increase the protein and balance the carbs in the oatmeal. I might add a tsp of honey which is not enough to give it a sweet taste but is enough to counter the bitterness that oatmeal sometimes has. 2 minutes to mix, 2 minutes to nuke and one minute to eat. Fastest breakfast there is.

I had it at 6AM today. By noon my stomach was growling. Normally that doesn't happen so soon. I assume it was because of having more coffee than usual. I did an hour's run over lunch hour. I don't know that I believe this but I've read that running on an empty stomach stimulated fat-burning.

Someone (again) asked whoa why he is here. Why are these Atkins Acolytes here? You've made up your minds and don't tolerate alternate viewpoints? This would be a VERY boring website if all there was to talk about was your Lowcarb diets.