Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-07, 22:03

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%
Default New York & The Summer Dress

I'm so happy I could cry.

Today I went to the mall with my store credits in hand from Lane Bryants & Ashley Stewarts in hopes that they might have some new Summer items. However, after shopping around and seeing nothing that I really wanted I somehow got my nerve up and went into one of the "little peoples" store next door; New York Company Clothing.

I figured if anyone looked at me funny or said anything then I'd just say I was shopping for my daughter. No one said anything though, but I proceeded cautiously to see if any large sizes even existed in the store so I tried to act like I wasn't shopping for myself.

Once I saw that there were several items in a size 16 a flicker of hope came and I thought well maybe they'll have an 18 or a 20. Well there were no size 20's, but there were a few size 18's here and there. So again, I proceeded cautiously, peeking and sneeking at the labels on the beautiful Summer dresses.

There were several beautiful ones and I found one in a size 18. I folded the dress across my arms in case someone was looking and thinking "I hope she doesn't think she can get her big butt into that." Thoughts ran through my mind as I stood in line in the "little peoples store" to get a fitting room. I thought I must be crazy. These people are probably wondering what I'm doing here and are probably laughing to themselves as I stand in line waiting to try on this little dress.

I finally get the fitting room and then take a deep breath as I proceed to try it on. Fortunately the dress has a side zipper 'cause I didn't know if my hips were gonna get in it, but to my total surprise the dress went on easily. No tugging or pulling or grunting to get the dress to fit. It fit perfect. I couldn't believe my eyes. I stood there for 5 minutes or so looking in the mirror. I felt to cry and laugh at the same time because I just can't believe I got in this dress. Just this past December 2006 I was wearing a 28/26 and here I am today getting into a size 18 dress. I'm so ecstatic! I was going to take it to the next level and try on an 18 pant, but I wasn't sure if I'd be that lucky with the pants so I figured I leave well enough along and bask in the glory of being able to get into that size 18 Summer dress. Yep. I'm in heaven today!

Dive deeply into who you really are, and have the courage to explore your most treasured dreams. Keep yourself connected to those dreams, and they will play out upon the stage of your life. ~ Ralph Marston

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-07, 23:08
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

What a sweet story. Congrats on the fit! I bet you make the dress look gorgeous.

Can I share here?

You made me think of an incident that happened when I was in my 20'ies--I was in a store with a friend, waiting while she tried something on, and saw a really pretty outfit in a pale lavender-blue. I held it up in front of me in a mirror to see how the color looked on me, and a customer looked at me in shock, and said, "That's not going to fit you!"
I answered politely that I was just looking at the color, and put it down.
I wish I could replay that conversation--she would rue having opened her fat mouth.

Ooh, do I sense some underlying hostility here?

No, it's righteous anger, and I've waited too long to express it.

So I understand your fear of being trashed by the customers and clerks in the store. But if someone is rude enough to treat you in an unacceptable way, that's their problem---do not make it your own. Let them know that it's none of their business what you are buying, or why.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 06:54

Plan: Knocked up
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 173%

Yeah!!! Congratulations. I am STILL in a 26/28 but I know that my 18 dress day is coming!! I'm so happy for you!

Btw, Down three lbs today! Go me!! I LOVE updating my little BMI scale. Its really inspiring!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 07:23

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

This is wonderful news - I'm so happy for you!

Is that a photo of the actual dress up there? If so, it's really pretty!

There's nothing like the feeling of finally getting into "normal" sizes. I still can't believe that I've left plus sizes behind, myself.

I remember reading somewhere that as you go down through the sizes, the weight difference between the sizes gets smaller and smaller - and I've noticed that to be true already.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 07:50

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I am so, so happy for you! I recently got to experience something similar, but I acutally did start crying in the dressing room. It was an amazing feeling! Keep up the great work!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 07:56
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Wonderful news! Congratulations! Denise
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 08:43

Plan: Knocked up
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 173%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I remember reading somewhere that as you go down through the sizes, the weight difference between the sizes gets smaller and smaller - and I've noticed that to be true already.

LOL is that why when someone thin loses 10 lbs they go down 4 sizes? DAMN!!! That makes me laugh. I lost 70 lbs two years ago and THEN I went down a pant size. HAHAHA!! Rediculous!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 09:32

Plan: atkins (slightly revised)
Stats: 277.2/251.4/200 Female 67 inches
BF:OMG/LOL/YAY
Progress: 33%

Congratulations to you!!!! can't wait till i'm there....... i'm inspired.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 10:10

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen24
What a sweet story. Congrats on the fit! I bet you make the dress look gorgeous.

I was in a store with a friend, waiting while she tried something on, and saw a really pretty outfit in a pale lavender-blue. I held it up in front of me in a mirror to see how the color looked on me, and a customer looked at me in shock, and said, "That's not going to fit you!"
I answered politely that I was just looking at the color, and put it down.
I wish I could replay that conversation--she would rue having opened her fat mouth.

So I understand your fear of being trashed by the customers and clerks in the store.

Thank you Kathleen. I'm glad you liked my story.

I'm also glad no one said anything me. I don't think I would have made it. In fact I know I wouldn't have as tt already took a lot of courage for me to just go in the store. If someone would have said something negative I'm sure I would have just broken down on the spot, probably break down in tears, and run out the store. Thank goodness that didn't happen. Just the thought of it puts me in a wierd place in my heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penweary
Yeah!!! Congratulations. I am STILL in a 26/28 but I know that my 18 dress day is coming!! I'm so happy for you!

Btw, Down three lbs today! Go me!! I LOVE updating my little BMI scale. Its really inspiring!!

Penweary, girl it’s gonna come sooner than you know I never imagined I would be wearing a size 18 dress so soon. I’m rooting for ya’…shoots…I’m rooting for us all! We all deserve it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
This is wonderful news - I'm so happy for you!

Is that a photo of the actual dress up there? If so, it's really pretty!

There's nothing like the feeling of finally getting into "normal" sizes. I still can't believe that I've left plus sizes behind, myself.

Thank you Calianna. Yes this is just so wonderful. I'm still in awe. I still have a good, funny feeling flowing through my soul. I guess that would be the glow I'm still basking in.

That isn't the actual dress, but it's the same exact cut, but with a different print.

Wow! A "normal size" dress from a "little peoples store". I'm still having a bit of trouble even believing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charran
I acutally did start crying in the dressing room. It was an amazing feeling! Keep up the great work!

Amazing. It was all just amazing. I'm still laughing and crying inside. There's a part of me that feels sad because of all the pain this weight has caused. Now here I am REALLY working my way down. It's not as hard as I imagined it to be so it actually makes me sort of sad because I've been dealing with this weight issue over 20 years now and here with this WOE it all seems so simple. So I find myself sort of kickin' myself because ALL this time all I had to do was find the right lifestyle. I'm just glad I found it.

Thank you everybody for your kind positive words.

I pray everyone reaches their healthy dream size and weight.

Dive deeply into who you really are, and have the courage to explore your most treasured dreams. Keep yourself connected to those dreams, and they will play out upon the stage of your life. ~ Ralph Marston

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 10:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298/286/120 Female 5'3.5"
BF:no/freakin/idea
Progress: 7%

Way to go! What an inspiration... I kinda fell off this year, and have just logged back onto this site, and wham, I read your story and its absolutley wonderful. YAY summer dresses! Yay to feeling capable, and comfortable and being able to move around and BUY the types of clothing that you really feel good in. Thanks for sharing...
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 13:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 370/343.4/199 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Yeah for you!

That must be the best feeling ever!

Reading your story gives me an incentive to keep on plugging. I know I can't wait for the day to shop in a "normal" size store. I'm pretty sure I haven't done that since 3rd grade.

Just wanted to say congrats! You go Girl! And if that is the dress, it's beautiful!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 14:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 445/305/220 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 62%

Awesome!!

I recently had the same experience, except instead of a summer dress it was jeans and shirts. I totally understand everything you wrote in your post - the fear of being singled out by people in the store, the elation of finally fitting into "normal" clothing. It's the best milestone I've experienced yet - there's something incredibly relieving about it, like you're finally starting to join "normal" society.

Congratulaitons! KUTGW!!

-j.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 15:02
Busty McChacha

Plan: atkins
Stats: 304/246.6/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

Congratulations! Its a great feeling to begin to "fit"
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-01-07, 04:09
Happy Loser!

Plan: Atkins food, IF 20/4
Stats: 287/238/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Congratulations and thanks for passing on such a positive story, it brought a big smile to my face

I have to ask ... did you buy the dress?

Emma
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-01-07, 05:23

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 352/320/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:Yikes!
Progress: 16%

What an amazing story Thanks for sharing, and GRATS on your success!!