Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, May-01-07, 12:35

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I found this click here.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, May-01-07, 18:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/138/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I tried these TWICE today and it DID NOT WORK!!!!!

The whites just wouldn't whip at all. I ended up wasting 6 eggs and a lot of damn time. Maybe my mixer doesn't mix fast enough? I have a cheapie one.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!
  #33   ^
Old Tue, May-01-07, 22:14
Always Shining

Stats: 363.3/332.6/145 Female 5'7"
BF:'fraid so...
Progress: 14%

I've never made Rev Rolls with Splenda, but it sure sounds good. I have always made mine more savory, with onion powder added to the yolk mix - cuts down on the eggy flavor. Yesterday when I made a batch, I also added some dried thyme. They are SOOOO good. Used for sandwiches, or whatever!

Also, I have never refrigerated them. I usually make them in the afternoon or evening, leave them on the cooling racks until morning, then store them on a covered cake plate (sure don't make many cakes these days! ) Only once have I "forgotten" some that I had made......and those two rolls sat out for several days. When I uncovered them, they were fine, no mold, no change in texture or taste....so I'm not sure refrigerating is necessary - but I am certainly no food scientist, either. I'm more of a food "consumer"
  #34   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 06:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/156/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions. I will keep trying. It isn't humid in this part of Costa Rica (the central valley..about 4000 ft above sea level) but we are entering the rainy season so it can be damp. Part of the problem could be that I am not using an egg beater, but a cheap food proccesor that only seems to have one setting...super high.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, May-05-07, 18:39

Plan: my own
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5 feet 2.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenca
I am so frustrated. This is my fourth attempt tp make rolls. The first time I didn't get the egg whites stiff enough. The second time I got a little yolk in and they didn't stiffen. The third time I guess I must have gotten a little yoke in and the same thing happened. The fourth time they started to thicken nicely and then all of a sudden went liquid. Anybody have a suggestion as to what to do with a dozen egg yokes lol

I've had trouble with whipping cream sometimes and I found it was the altitude or the weather. Sometimes when it's humid out, cream doesn't whip well for me. That could be your problem!

I made Strawberry shortcake last night! It was an awsome treat! I figured out the carbs and I believe there were only 7 for each serving. And most of the 7 was from the strawberries.

I saw one recipe for the rolls they labeled the carbs as 7 but I don't know how they got that number because all there is in them is cream cheese and eggs. I think my number came out 1.5 for each roll. I used the recipe with three eggs and made 6 rolls from it.

But the strawberry shortcake was a treat I haven't had for a long time. YUMMMM
  #36   ^
Old Sat, May-05-07, 20:32

BF:

Okay, I tried them twice this weekend and finally got them! I left the eggs at room temperature this time and the whites peaked.

What's the strawberry shortcake recipe? Is it made with Revolution Rolls?
  #37   ^
Old Sun, May-06-07, 15:14

Stats: 175/157/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yay, 13lb,that they turned out. I'm interested in the strawberry shortcake too - rev rolls split, filled with whipped cream and strawberries, perhaps? Sounds yummy!
  #38   ^
Old Sun, May-06-07, 19:42

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

thirteenlb, I was just going to let you know that when I was a kid - back in the dark ages - we didn't have electric mixers and we managed to whip egg whites with a {{gasp}} hand beater ... does anyone else remember those (I still own one!). Just took a little longer. BUT ... everything has to be squeaky clean! As well as not a drop of yolk in the whites, the beaters and bowl must be absolutely clean with no oil or fat residue on them from the last thing mixed (like maybe whipped cream?)
  #39   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 07:01

BF:

Glendarc, thank you. I cannot believe that that was once done by hand. I tried to whip cream by and and ended up with thick sweetened goo. You know what I think helped as well? I added a bit of flaxseeds to the yolk mixture, so that when I folded it in it didn't thin so much.

Thanks, Fressca...not sure if I'll try that, but why not, eh?
  #40   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 07:56

Stats: 175/157/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I remember those beaters, Glendarc! As a kid it was my job to whip the cream, egg whites or whatever for Mum. I bet she still has hers... they might be worth something as an antique!
  #41   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 09:57

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Would you believe I always do the RR by hand with a balloon wisk?
It is starting to give me some bicep in my right arm. It takes less than 2 minutes.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 11:56

BF:

No!

I have one of those, but-- dang, Penelope! I couldn't even fathom that stroke!
  #43   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 21:24

Plan: my own version
Stats: 167.6/13.6/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 410%

bumping for strawberry shortcake recipe
  #44   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 21:29

Plan: my own
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5 feet 2.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteenlb
Okay, I tried them twice this weekend and finally got them! I left the eggs at room temperature this time and the whites peaked.

What's the strawberry shortcake recipe? Is it made with Revolution Rolls?

I mash strawberries, add a bit of sugar substitute, depending on how ripe the berries are. The riper they are, the less sweetner I put in.

I add a bit of water when mashing them.

Then I use one roll, put on the mashed strawberries and top with whipped cream. The carb count may vary, depending on how many strawberries you use.

I remember the rotary egg beaters. I have made whipping cream with them. Ours always got stuck and it was a royal pain in the neck. LOL
  #45   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 07:42

BF:

Thank you, Victoria BC!!! I may try that one out!