Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-07, 08:58

Plan: daily exercise,LC,LFat
Stats: 115/108/105 Female 4'11"
BF:caliper16%/15%/12%
Progress: 70%
Default good job!!!!

How do you find out about races to run? Are you in a club ? I tried to Google races in my area before.
I have no problems running and low carbing either.
I run better distance then speed also. 60 minute, 7 mile run is my daily routine.
I live on an A.F. Base,(I am an A.F. wife) where the guys run fast but not far(like 2 miles)
so the 5k's we have are a joke. I came in 4th in our last one, 17 minutes.
Everyone starts out crazy fast then fall back before the first mile.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-07, 14:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

That first mile is fueled by carbs. Then they slow as they start burning fat. Runners World magazine lists races by region. I think the online version does also.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-07, 14:54
Registered Member

BF:

I forgot to mention, local running stores like Fleet Feet or Euripedes will know all the local races, dates and times.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-07, 15:20

Default thanks on info

Thanks Kaypeeoh, for the info sorry I asked so many questions but your 50 mile run really sparked my interest, I am in love with running. There are times I have taken off on a run and almost forget to turn around and go home.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-07, 18:13
Registered Member

BF:

No problem. I forget to turn around now and then. :-)
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 22:17

Plan: a mixture
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

As a competitive runner I find this thread very interesting. I have been low carb for about 6 years, flucuating between extremely low, (5-10% calories) to moderately low (high for me, low for the general population- somewhere around 20-30% or calories)

For these six years i have never eaten grains or starches, my carb count has fluctuated based on adding more fruit or veggies. I have found that my running is at it's best when I am at around 5% carbs and around 70% fat or when I'm around 20-30% carbs, in between those two extremes it is just average.

I think their would be only two reasons that one could not successfully run on a ketogetic diet

a) if they couldn't successfully eat enough quality animal fat, and I emphazise animal fat, plant based fats are not going to provide the saturated bonds that are important for maximizing energy output

b) if they have some type of pre-existing adrenal distress or disease that has compromised or fatigued their body

Just my two cents
Laura
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 00:39
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

You could try coconut oil - that's more saturated than any animal fat.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 06:59

Default just started adding fats

I love low carbing and running, I can run forever. But due to my recent 6 month stint on no-fats and no carbs(I was eating only egg beaters, protein powder and 99% fat free ground turkey) I got myself to 11% bodyfat and running 7 days a week, 8 to 9 miles. I was having to take Ibuprofen before I ran, was bingeing on sugar every 4 days, and wigging out on my family.
So a month ago I decided to do Atkins because I keep reading that it controls cravings by eating fats.
My brain and body feel so good but I hate that it made me gain 5 pounds.
Where I was sunken in on the sides of my hips and glutes, are puffed out now. I hate that. I am running only 7 miles, 6 days a week now.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 09:58
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkpetro
As a competitive runner I find this thread very interesting. I have been low carb for about 6 years, flucuating between extremely low, (5-10% calories) to moderately low (high for me, low for the general population- somewhere around 20-30% or calories)

For these six years i have never eaten grains or starches, my carb count has fluctuated based on adding more fruit or veggies. I have found that my running is at it's best when I am at around 5% carbs and around 70% fat or when I'm around 20-30% carbs, in between those two extremes it is just average.

I think their would be only two reasons that one could not successfully run on a ketogetic diet

a) if they couldn't successfully eat enough quality animal fat, and I emphazise animal fat, plant based fats are not going to provide the saturated bonds that are important for maximizing energy output

b) if they have some type of pre-existing adrenal distress or disease that has compromised or fatigued their body

Just my two cents
Laura

how many miles per week are you running? During the winter I average 40 miles a week. In the summer I get up to 80 miles a week. During the summer I run several marathons and ultras. I'm doing a 50 mile race in Colorado in three weeks. I've always had a problem with animal fat. Just the idea of it is sickening. I've tried to rely on peanut butter or olive oil but can't say that it worked well. Drinking a cup of olive oil before a 10 mile run caused problems I don't want to happen again. ;-)

Wyvrn, I'm willing to try coconut oil, if I can find it. How does that work? Are taking a little bit with meals or a large dose before a run?
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 16:17
Registered Member

Stats: 135/129/125 Female almost 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 60%
Default coconut oil

I've recently discovered coconut oil too. There is a thread on it, that has all the information you need.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=326407

Some quick points:
- cheapest place I found EVCO is vitacost.com
- daily dose for adults is 3.5 tbsp (so don't go drinking 1 cup! some people have to build up to the 3.5 TBSP, or else they have GI issues....)

The past couple days I've been making a coconut oil cookie recipe that I got from Jen B: Melt 3 TBSP extra virgin coconut oil, add in 2 TBSP flaxmeal, 2 TBSP almond butter, small amount of sweetner. Put in fridge to let harden. It's very good and filling.

You guys are all living my dream...I LOVE running but have loose ligaments in my hips which have caused me many problems the past 4 years. I got 5 rounds of "prolotherapy" (shots into the ligaments to tighten them). And it worked, I am finally running again - but it only pushes out your threshold - so I'm running again, but seem to be only handle 12 miles a week. I probably need more shots, but we're thinking of having a second child, so I might as well just wait until after that, because I'll loosen up and have to get the shots all over again!

My husband is just starting to get into ultra's. His goal is to do Western States next year. [But he doesn't do low carb]. What race are you doing in CO ?
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 16:31

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypeeoh
how many miles per week are you running? During the winter I average 40 miles a week. In the summer I get up to 80 miles a week. During the summer I run several marathons and ultras. I'm doing a 50 mile race in Colorado in three weeks. I've always had a problem with animal fat. Just the idea of it is sickening. I've tried to rely on peanut butter or olive oil but can't say that it worked well. Drinking a cup of olive oil before a 10 mile run caused problems I don't want to happen again. ;-)

Wyvrn, I'm willing to try coconut oil, if I can find it. How does that work? Are taking a little bit with meals or a large dose before a run?

Damn!!! a cup of olive oil, it is a miracle you didn't pass gallstones (olive oil moves gunk out of the system like all get out, I'm sure that was an interesting run.

Well, when I was on a ketogetic diet I was averaging 60 miles/week, so not quite your 80, now that I'm not on a ketogetic diet I reach my limit at about 40. What does your daily diet like?

I would also highly suggest coconut oil. It is a wonderful, healing and energy giving substance. But you really do need to work on the animal fat, for health as well as endurance. Your body can't utilize plant fats as efficiently and the bonds don't break as well

I do find that a banana before a run is used perfectly for by my body for endurance run

Any other milage runners here? What do you all's daily diets look like?
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 18:30
Registered Member

BF:

I'm doing the Collegiate Peaks 50 miler near Buena Vista, CO. Next month the Rocky Mountain Double Marathon in Laramie, WY. A month after that there will be a 24-hour trail run near Laramie. I'm hoping to reach 100 miles. The best I've gotten so far is 93 miles.

Breakfast: Sometimes oatmeal with soymilk, egg beaters and nocarb peanut butter. Sometimes Egg beaters cheese omelet.
Lunch: Usually canned soup with refried beans added, sometimes tuna or salmon with mayo on toast. Sometimes turkey breast sandwiches.
Dinner: Stirfry mixed veggies with fish.
Throughout the day I snack on mixed nuts. Cheese is about the only animal fat I can tolerate.

For training I use a Camelback filled with gatorade.

For races I eat whatever is available at the aid stations. Usually pretzels, pringles, M&Ms. For really hot races they have boiled potatoes sliced in half. You dip the potato in salt and eat. I learned if the salt tastes great, I was low on sodium. It the salt makes me gag, I wasn't yet low on sodium.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 19:12

BF:
Progress:

did you ever think about the fact that perhaps you can't tolerate animal fats because of other things you might be eating that are creating issues (i.e. soymilk, egg beaters, no carb pb, canned soup, beans, toast, ect)

I would guess alot of these thngs are holding back your running and health
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 19:53
Registered Member

BF:

I don't have physical problems from eating meat. I just prefer not to eat it. Fats break down into fatty acids before being used for energy. Vegetable fats like olive oil should be able to do that as well as animal fats. I like soymilk because it helps prevent prostate cancer. I use lowfat meats like turkey but prefer fish.

Scott Jurek is one of the top ultrarunners in the country. He won Western States several times. He's a vegetarian. For several years running the top finishers at Leadville were all vegetarians.

I'm interested in finding ways to make lowcarb work for me but not if it entails eating meat.

I'm a veterinarian. There are a lot of hormones and other chemicals in meat. I know this because I was the guy putting it there. In vet medical school we were taught how to use these drugs in ways that wouldn't show up at meat inspections. For years I was injecting tetracyclines, penicillins and stronger drugs into cattle that were destined for slaughter. Same goes for dairy. Many dairy cows have antibiotics in their blood.

I think a lot of Atkins advocates have traded carb addiction for meat addiction. Just my two cent opinion; sorry if it sounds judgemental.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 20:20

BF:
Progress:

I'm not advocating you start beigning on meat, if that doesn't feel right to you, you need to respect that, I'm just saying that you could eat the same way you are eating but eat cleaner. If you are worried about the hormones in meat, you should also worry about the chemicals in egg beaters and canned soup

And I am surprised that anyone with a medical degree would actually think that prostrate cancer would be helped by soymilk, soymilk is not a good idea

in any manner