Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-07, 08:15
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Neolith-chic! LOL! So, what colour? Pics?

This stick deoderant is okay, but I'm not used to my pits being...well...damp. Eeeuuuuwwww. I'm used to antiperspirant. I don't stink, but I'm damp and it feels gross. And one of my pits is developing a weird sore rash. Maybe this stick stuff is not for me? The MoM worked well.

Going to hunt the zinc cream stuff and try that.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-07, 08:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It was supposed to be light ash blonde but it came out a little on the red side, I have no idea why! Maybe because my hair resisted taking the color.
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-07, 11:43
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
Zinc oxide - where would I find that in the drugstore? Is it a cream? Does it go on white?
You should be able to find it in either a drugstore or in a supermarket in the area of rash ointments. There's also the diaper-rash brand Desitin (found in the baby supplies) which is 40% zinc oxide and lasts a day or so longer than the generic, but also contains fish oil which is nice for the skin but has a strong odor. Not a bad odor really, if you don't mind smelling like a freshly changed baby.
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-07, 21:10

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Waywardsis, please let us know how the henna goes! I'm naturally blonde but I've dyed my hair red before and I absolutely loved it -and I was eyeing up some henna the other day (I've also dyed my hair blue and pink and a lighter shade of blonde...I like playing with my hair ).
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-07, 10:09
Dazilous

BF:

I will let you know re: henna - my sample should be here this week and I'll see what it does to my harvested hair. Nancy...how does the bit of red look?

Found zinc cream for baby bums, so am giving it a test run on the ol' pits today. I smell like a baby...mmmmm. I also found a mineral spray that seems promising. Still hunting for the rock.
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-07, 10:14

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Still hunting for the rock.

Not sure what is available to you in Turrona, but I have found the deodorant crystal in places you might not expect - Target, for instance, and some ordinary drug stores.
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-07, 10:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I will let you know re: henna - my sample should be here this week and I'll see what it does to my harvested hair. Nancy...how does the bit of red look?

It looks ok, maybe just a touch brassy though. I've got a scottish complexion so I can pull it off.
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-07, 10:53

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

I’m having hysteria! Wanted to color my hair in chestnut, to change a bit from my usual red. Mixed coffee with henna and it turned very dark. Too much coffee definitely.
What am I supposed to be doing now? It doesn’t match my fair complexion at all
  #84   ^
Old Tue, May-01-07, 19:55
Dazilous

BF:

Eos - I don't know! I am a hair dyeing virgin. Here's a henna info link that might help: http://www.hennaforhair.com/

I got my henna sample from that place, only costs a buck and that's for shipping. Well worth it test it out before doing the whole head. I hennaed some stray hairs today, and they came out a really nice auburn shade so I think I'll take the plunge and order a full thingamabob of it. Their henna is good stuff, apparently most of the kits you can get in HFS's are crap with stuff added.

I am a big fan of the zinc oxide cream! Wow! Works well. The only one I could find in a pinch (I was impatient) contains petrolatum and some other questionable ingredients, but I just found another that's 40% and has nicey nicey stuff in it, like aloe. I am enjoying the baby bum scent, and so far it's aggreable with the BF, who is worried I am turning "crunchy" on him.

I will keep my eyes out for the rock...I bet I could find it at Walmart! Damn.

Nancy, I have an Irish complexion Used to actually be a redhead *sigh* Now I'm just a wannabe...
  #85   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 04:23
Registered Member

Plan: Paleolithic
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos
I’m having hysteria! Wanted to color my hair in chestnut, to change a bit from my usual red. Mixed coffee with henna and it turned very dark. Too much coffee definitely.
What am I supposed to be doing now? It doesn’t match my fair complexion at all

Eos, you have to tell me how to do that because I've been trying to darken my henna forever. Mine always turn out red even when I use the henna that is supposed to give you a brown color.

As for your plight, it's probably not a consolation, but time is your friend. I think it'll redden as it fades. There's a website all about henna for hair. Maybe they'll have some advice: http://www.hennaforhair.com/findit/index.html. Good luck.
  #86   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 04:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/138/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
It was supposed to be light ash blonde but it came out a little on the red side, I have no idea why! Maybe because my hair resisted taking the color.

I tried this same thing last wednesday. I'm a brunette and I wanted to go blonde... I used a light ash blonde and now I'm a light red.

My husband wants me to try it again. He said if I try it again it'll take it to the blonde or a strawberry blonde. We'll see. I told him I'll try it one more time, but after that I won't go for it again... we'll just have to live with it until it grows out. I don't want to damage it too much. And really it doesn't look all that bad to me... I normally hate red hair.

He's taken to calling me red lately.
  #87   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 05:50

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Waywardsis, Lucysdream, thx for support, guys!
My plight been over by the following day . Having less biased, more balanced look in the mirror, thought it wasn’t that bad after all.
See? This is the way it looks after the second washing.

Darker than I usu. wear (like in my avatar), but still with definite red hue, so I’m quite content, next time will add less coffee though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysdream
Eos, you have to tell me how to do that because I've been trying to darken my henna forever.

I made the concoction as follows: put in henna one heaped tbsp of instant coffee (tho ground better). Added 2 egg yolks and 2 tbsp bur oil. Applied to scalp, wrapped my hair and left for 3 hrs.
Comment: 1. Jojoba or calendula oil can be used instead of bur one.
2. You should increase the amount of coffee if aim for darker hue.

Learnt this recipe from my hairdresser, who has dark chestnut hair. So do wish it worked out amazing for you.
If somewhat hesitant however, I suggest you try it at first just with a strand of hair.
  #88   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 17:04
Registered Member

Plan: Paleolithic
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Your hair looks great, Eos. Thanks for the tip. I always heard you could use coffee or tea, but never quite believed. Favor? Can you keep us posted on how long the brown hue lasts? One thing I wondered about is the longevity of the "coffee stain". For some reason, I don't expect it to last. Thanks!
  #89   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 21:00
Dazilous

BF:

Oooooh! It's gorgeous! So shiny too. *plays with Eos' hair*

I am still no-poo. Found that mixing the baking soda/honey no-poo balls with water and applying is far better on my hair than my experiment with the no-poo baking soda/honey balls directly on the hair. Been rinsing with ACV or lemon juice mixed with chammomile tea.

Lucy's Dream...I recall something on that henna site about what you use for brown...I know they said that real henna is always red, and you use other things like indigo to create other shades. What was the one for brown?? Maybe it was coffee?? I thought it was a herb...okay looked it up and found this for a brunette mix. Indigo and amla with henna.
  #90   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 21:22

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was reading that henna site you linked to all afternoon. I want to try it real bad! I think I'm going to get one of those $1 samples...I'm really excited. I loved having red hair.