Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 06:19

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 282/270/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I just looked up coconut milk in fitday...it says 13 carbs / cup... so don't forget to count these....
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 07:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/151.6/149 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default First Day on Coconut Oil

Okay guys.......started last night, even put it on my face. Let's see. I need to drop at least 2 lbs this week. I increased by water intake as well. Was starting to feel weak. Better today.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 13:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyd53
Okay guys.......started last night, even put it on my face. Let's see. I need to drop at least 2 lbs this week. I increased by water intake as well. Was starting to feel weak. Better today.

I use it on my face too...love it. I used to use Shea Butter, but like the CO better.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 13:33

BF:
Default Discovered another plus for CO....

...at least that what I attribute it to. I've read some posts that allude to the lack of elimination...or at least some trouble with it. Gotta tell ya, I don't eat a lot of fiber, Atkins '72 only allows for 2 small salads a day, but I go 2x a day. It's almost like the CO "greases the shute"....
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 13:44

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 275/268/160 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 6%

Another good way to get in the CO is the protien powder doughnut holes recipe.

I add unsweetened coconut & coconut extract to the recipe and then fry them up in coconut oil. They tend to absorb a good amount of the oil, even more if you don't drain them on paper towel.

They are very good, and you only need to eat a few at a time. They are very satisfying.

There's also the hot flax cereal recipe. I add CO to that before adding the hot water.

Both recipes are in the breakfast forum.
Just a couple thoughts.
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 14:48

Plan: atkins-y paleo-y
Stats: 164.2/125.2/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 99%

I just reread some sections in my 92 DANDR and found that Dr. A recommended 2-3 tbsps of medium chain fats. He didn't specifically name coconut oil but coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid. It amazes me that I am still able to find new things every time I read the book. I will try to find the exact quote again and post. But if memory serves, it went on to take about the benefits of medium chain fatty acids to include revving up metabolism and a few other.
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-07, 18:10

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by articshark
I just reread some sections in my 92 DANDR and found that Dr. A recommended 2-3 tbsps of medium chain fats. He didn't specifically name coconut oil but coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid. It amazes me that I am still able to find new things every time I read the book. I will try to find the exact quote again and post. But if memory serves, it went on to take about the benefits of medium chain fatty acids to include revving up metabolism and a few other.

Thanks for including this info this, Articshark.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 09:46

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 405/350/220 Male 6'0
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hey this may or may not be interesting but over the past week it has warmed up to about 85 degrees in El Paso, so ambient temps in home are about 80 degrees. My coconut oil has gone from a nice solid white to a nice clear liquid. Easier to get into the old coffee cup in the dark at 5 am...no spoon needed!
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 10:27

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpasopop
Hey this may or may not be interesting but over the past week it has warmed up to about 85 degrees in El Paso, so ambient temps in home are about 80 degrees. My coconut oil has gone from a nice solid white to a nice clear liquid. Easier to get into the old coffee cup in the dark at 5 am...no spoon needed!

Stop bragging!! It was 33 degrees here this morning working up to a 63 degree high....

Did someone forget to wake Mother Nature???

I have some in a small baby jar that I nuke to pour into my coffee.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 11:06
Currently Fascinated

Plan: M&E/Atkins
Stats: 225/150/125 Female 5'2"
BF:Quite Possibly
Progress: 75%

Quote:
I have some in a small baby jar that I nuke to pour into my coffee.

Can I just tell you I read that totally wrong the first time and got "I have a small baby in a jar that I nuke..." I had to go back and reread it! That's what I get for skimming, I guess!

I started CO last night, and really wish I'd read through some of the posts here before I did. I'm glad I did, but regret having 2T in coffee right before bed! No wonder I didn't sleep well
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 13:18

Stats: 186/180/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 12%

So I decided to try the CO and went shopping for it. Nothing at Walmart, nor at Trader Joe's where I'd seen it before. I ended up at Vitamin Shoppe where the prices were so ridiculous that I walked out without anything. Finally ordered it from iherb.com.
Man, I love this stuff! Went hog-wild on it last week, making the candy and using the straight CO in coffee. I melted some of the candy and poured it over no-sugar-added ice cream, yummy! Makes a crunchy crust like a dipped cone.
Tried some on my skin, but that didn't work out, too greasy for me.
The CO dampened my appetite so much that I ended up skipping a couple of meals and snacks. Didn't seem to do a thing for my energy level, though.
Bottom line, I lost 3 pounds last week!!!
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 13:26

Plan: atkins-y paleo-y
Stats: 164.2/125.2/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 99%

Okay boys and girls, here is Dr. A's words from page 146 of the 1992 hardback copy of DANDR.

"Another concept is the use of medium chain triglycerides (MCT), shown in research to be an aid to energy metabolism, weight loss, and cholesterol reduction. An appropriate dose of MCT is 2 to 3 tablespoons a day as a substitute for other dietary oil. You can use it in your frying pan. More MCT can be used if you're careful to avoid diarrhea which can result in sensitive individuals."
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 13:28

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Oooh. Good idea about the chocolate sauce. Bet that would be good poured over frozen berries. I usually use cream, but chocolate....mmmmm!
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/150/135 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazelleNYC
Am I the only one who eats it straight out of the jar? It tastes like candy to me. I haven't even tried to cook with it yet.

Yep, I do that too! I really like the taste
so it's nice to pop a piece into my mouth when
I want to get my coconut oil in. :-)

iaf
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 16:31

Stats: 240/218/190 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

I just had to share.

Friday, I got a great deal on coconut oil at my local supermarket. They had some shelved in the wrong spot and plus there wasn't a priced sticker up for CO, which would have been $8.99, when they looked up the price. The manager said I could have the CO for the price that was on the shelf where the grapeseed oil price was marked at $3.95. So I said, well, I'll take three.