Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 15:12
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

I do. It was made of very fine talcum powder. After a couple of uses it made you look like an octogenarian.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 17:37

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleo
Hi,

This question might be a bit off-the-wall. I recently saw a message from Jayppers about applying using coconut oil as a body oil after a shower. (I wasn't able to find that message and quote it, so Jayppers, sorry if that wasn't you after all!).

It reminded of something else that has been kicking around in my mind. A while ago, I read that iodine deficiency testing is done by painting iodine on the skin and checking how long it takes to be absorbed. I had not realised the skin was such a sponge, and not in an arbitrary way either, but going after substances that the body is deficient in.

Anyway to finally get to my question - do people think that applying coconut oil to the skin might actually be a nutritional benefit, as well as moisturizing the skin? I did say this was going to be an odd question!

Paul.

Yes, I have a book tittled "The Coconut Miracle" by Bruce Fife. In this book it states various ways to get you coconut oil dosage. On page 164 He recommends that an adult should consume 2-4 tablespoons of the oil. It can be done through supplements, cooking and applying it topically to the skin. Hope this helps.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 20:01

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

So, I talked to the woman at my health food store who has lovely, healthy hair. She is currently using a Burts Bees shampoo that she really likes.

She also mentioned Aubrey's Organics as a shampoo brand. I bought some of that. I read the ingredients and except for the fact that I'm highly allergic to ingesting soy proteins, you could pretty much spread it on toast.

If we ate toast.

There were a number of products to choose from that all advertised all natural ingredients and read pretty well. I'll let you know how the new shampoo works out once I've used it.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 20:36
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Ooh, I love trying new shampoos. Once my stuff runs out I may try a Burt's, since i love his other stuff. You mentioned his avocado-whatever treatment and that sounded yummy. I actually made a nice hair treatment out of avocado, banana, egg, coconut oil and I think a bit of honey - made my hair very shiny, and worked nicely on my face as well.

I will try to locate a brush of that type and see what I can do.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 22:21
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Yes, I have a book tittled "The Coconut Miracle" by Bruce Fife. In this book it states various ways to get you coconut oil dosage. On page 164 He recommends that an adult should consume 2-4 tablespoons of the oil. It can be done through supplements, cooking and applying it topically to the skin. Hope this helps.

Fascinating. I discovered I have an alergy to petroleum jelly, so I can no longer use Vasoline as hair grease. Maybe coconut oil would give me that certain look I go for while being good for my health.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 02:16

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

I can only drink(in coffee) a little bit of oil ...I hope I does count as a dosage by putting it on my skin

and has anyone used it on there skin after weight loss??? and did it help the skin shrink back?..I am afraid of hanging skin

Last edited by unitydkn : Wed, Feb-28-07 at 02:59.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 07:21

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

Unitydkn, I also can not tolerate a lot of the oil internally. I have found that it has a terrible laxative effect for me. It also produces loose stools for me and contributes to abdominal bloating.

In the book The Coconut Oil Miracle, the author advocates 3 tablespoons/day of the oil. I can not usually go above 1 or 2 teaspoons a day. I have recently stopped taking coconut oil internally and have found that my loose stools have ceased and frequent bowel movements have slowed down substantially!

Sorry if TMI, but just thought this may help others if they decide to start taking it in large quantities and also experience problems.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-07, 23:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid
Fascinating. I discovered I have an alergy to petroleum jelly, so I can no longer use Vasoline as hair grease. Maybe coconut oil would give me that certain look I go for while being good for my health.

Hybrid, it should be fine in your hair but I would wager that the hair would be more apt to absorb it. You may not have that "slick" look that petroleum gives.But it will be healthy.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-07, 23:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid

oh my goodness Hybrid. I saw that "special look" you were going for. You know, I hear coconut oil goes well with fava beans You're creeping me out, man!
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-07, 04:56

Plan: the schwarzbein principle
Stats: 155/154/133 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Coconut all according to several books I have read recently, is extremely beneficial inside and out! One thing that stuck with me is you shouldn't put anything on your skin that you wouldn't put inside your body. I eat 3 tablespoons of the oil a day, usually mixed in with food, I put it on my face and hands, and if I can be bothered on my body. I have bought a huge tub of the stuff, the good sort, which you learn about in the books. Read anything by Bruce Fife, and you will have your socks blown off.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-07, 15:14

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 100%

Not to change the topic of discussion, but this has to do with skincare as well.

Does anyone know of any natural homeopathic ways to eliminate blackheads? I'm not sure what's causing them, as my diet is really nutritious and I get plenty of water. I suppose an option is to scrub that area on my nose that gets them with a scrub cloth and after showering, put some coconut oil on my face, but I kind of doubt that will get rid of the blackheads; if anything it'll dry out my face and natural oils.

Also, I'm going to try to get my mom to use a homeopathic way of washing our clothes (maybe I'll have to wash them now.. ) instead of using laundry detergent, because I believe it's drying my skin out. I believe the recipe calls for borax and something like that..I'll have to check it out.

BTW, I'm trying the 'poo-free' method of showering, and it's giving me really good results. Plus I never use shampoo anymore, and my hair is really shiny (even though I only have to wash it every three days).

A good site to visit if you want to go shampoo free is this one:
http://babyslime.livejournal.com/174054.html

Edit: this link is really helpful if you're trying to go detergent/cleaning chemicals free (scroll down to see what to use):
http://www.groundwork.org.za/Resources/laundry.htm

Last edited by capo : Sun, Mar-04-07 at 16:18.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 21:33

BF:

One thing that I noticed for myself, when I eat I tend to be a little cavemanish and I will get grease all over my face. This always causes me to get blackheads.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 00:25
Dazilous

BF:

Capo my face had totally cleared up except for my blackheads. Sooooo annoying. I'm 31! They're supposed to be gone by now! BUt they are much less noticeable, so I wonder if they will eventually go. I hope so.

A nice scrub, which does get rid of them temporarily, is a paste of honey and sugar (hey, a use for sugar!). You could use any granular ingredient really, so salt would work. Mix it thick, scrub your face, then leave it sit for maybe 15-20 minutes and wash off with warm water. Super soft skin awaits. Also, if you have large pores (I do, though they're smaller now) egg whites will tighten them temporarily. Slap em on, let them dry (it's really tight), rinse em off. Pores gone.

I have considered no poo, but I'm scared
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 18:57

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
Capo my face had totally cleared up except for my blackheads. Sooooo annoying. I'm 31! They're supposed to be gone by now! BUt they are much less noticeable, so I wonder if they will eventually go. I hope so.

A nice scrub, which does get rid of them temporarily, is a paste of honey and sugar (hey, a use for sugar!). You could use any granular ingredient really, so salt would work. Mix it thick, scrub your face, then leave it sit for maybe 15-20 minutes and wash off with warm water. Super soft skin awaits. Also, if you have large pores (I do, though they're smaller now) egg whites will tighten them temporarily. Slap em on, let them dry (it's really tight), rinse em off. Pores gone.

I have considered no poo, but I'm scared

Thanks waywardsis! These blackheads on my nose are a little beyond annoying as I notice them every time I look in the mirror. Besides my mom (who's very very analytical) and myself, I bet no one else notices them..who would? And now that I've tanned a bit, they blend in with my skin tone. And I have a few freckles on my noes to aid in the 'blending-in' effect.

I'm currently undergoing the no-poo process.. it's not easy, but I think I'm doing fine. If I suspect I have oily hair (or my mom openly tells me my hair is disgusting), I put it up in a ponytail or bun and hope no one notices. No poo is way better let me tell you. The first time I used the Baking Soda and apple cider vinegar mix on my hair, it was sooo shiny afterwards. Hopefully I'll eventually have that look permanently (asap, because this is getting a little scary for me as well).
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 21:58
Dazilous

BF:

I tried no poo today...and so far, so good! I was really surprised. Used no product afterwards - I usually use a shine/frizz serum and then a curl spray. Well without it, my hair went into really nice loose waves and curls. I think I'll give this a shot.