Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-09, 20:37

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

The pancake recipe is amazing....I never thought it would be good...but I had to try it out of curiosity.....I was pleasantly surprised. More like a french toast.....delicious!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-09, 21:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria150
Hey Nancy, what brand do you buy? I'd love to try those unsalted ones for sweet treats. Not to mention, I'm sure they must be better for you overall, no salt related bloatiness...

Oh boy, I just threw out 2 bags that had been in my pantry for years. I don't know the brand but the bag was clear with brown label on it, I think a Mexican name, like Chicarones.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-09, 16:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/203.6/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

So, I tried these pork-rind French Toasts for the first time today... overall, very good... the texture was nice. My ONLY complaint was that it was a bit salty - though not nearly as salty as I thought it would be. The only thing I need to do is find no salt or low-sodium pork rinds.

Overall, very good though!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-09, 08:55

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%

ok after over 8 years of low carbary I finally tried historic Mock French Toast only I am not calling it that thanks to this thread it is a Pork rind pancake! or French Toast!!! much better name!
calling it "mock French toast" put me off , anything "mock" or "faux" just puts me off I guess

anyway I tried it

as directed above thanks for the tips and recipes

they looked so good in that link with the pictures and just calling them what they are "porkrind pancakes" helps!

I had a chicarone, a huge one you buy in the Mexican markets they are just pure skin fried in actual lard until puffy. If you have never tried them then look for a Mexican meat market that makes them fresh you are in for a treat, they are as big as your head and you can usually get some hot sauce YUM! Worlds better then the ones in the bag.

anyway for 1 large pancake

I used about 1/3 cup ground up pork rinds (I ground a piece of cinnamon stick into the rinds)
2 eggs
2 tsp lemon juice (cut the porkiness and in the end it really made the flavor in these! I would add a full tbl next time and maybe some rind)
1 tbl cream
2 tbl of DaVinci SF pancake syrup

mix together well and let it sit about 5 min

heated pan poured it into one large pancake

flipped when golden (they do look pretty!)
topped with butter and syrup and it was very good, the house smells like breakfast time

thank you again I saved my crumbs to make another pancake when I have the yearning again

Last edited by HiDelight : Sun, Feb-01-09 at 09:05.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 15:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/203.6/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

OMG, I just had a fantastic idea. I made these again today... I used the lemon suggested by HiDelight -- good suggestion I also found a bag of pork rinds that had 100 mg less sodium per serving and I think this really helped with the too salty problem.

Well, my idea is... there's an awesome treat in Hispanic/Latin cuisine called arepas. It's basically 2 corn pancakes with mozzarella cheese melted between these pancakes... Well, I love arepas but never really thought I'd have them again... Now, I can!!!! Wooohoooo!!!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 12:08

Plan: Carbs <30g/day
Stats: 131/127/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Thank you! I've been on a quest for no-soy low-carb cereal

This may just be it!

I've been looking everywhere for a no-soy (or low-soy) low-carb cereal.

I tried making my own cereal last week (out of protein powder & grains) but am not thrilled with the results.

I don't understand why there aren't more no- or low-soy products out there for low-carbers; it seems a lot of us need to avoid soy?

Thanks again, I can't wait to try it!

Last edited by Sugar_Free : Sun, Mar-01-09 at 16:27.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 14:54

Plan: Carbs <30g/day
Stats: 131/127/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Update: Chocolate Protein Cereal!

I just wanted to say thanks again...I tried this in my "chocolate cereal" style and it was good!

If you liked "Cocoa Crisp" or other chocolate cereals, I think you'll like this.

(NOTE: I did mine with milk, but others on induction could do this with cream plus water.)

9 pork rinds (80 calories, 0 carbs)
1/2 scoop chocolate sugar-free whey protein powder (45 calories, 1 carb)
1/2 cup (2% or 4%) milk (~70 calories, 7 carbs)

TOTAL: 195 calories, 8 carbs (lower if you use cream instead)

You can mix the protein powder with the broken up pork rinds first, or mix it into the milk first, depending on how much you mind little bits of protein powder. It's chocolatey and good.

I did find it a tad salty, so next time I'll try the low-salt pork rinds.

Thanks for the idea!