Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 10:49
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

well in the later additions, atkins' did say he has done more research,at least up untill his death, I did just get a copy of atkins essentials, which is a really new version,after atkins had passed on, but it was an easy to follow book, I gave it to DD because she might understand it a bit better then the other versions.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 11:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/138/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Atkins himself did not write the Atkins essentials. I think that one gives poor advice, to be honest.

Leslie, I noticed that about the 72 version as well. Personally, I think he took a lot of heat about the no veggies thing. From what I've read (there is a former Atkinscenter patient on another board) in practice he actually changed very little, leaving much of the transition to the preferences and individual losses of his patients. (For instance, OWL rungs were not set in stone-- if you wanted to skip to rung 3 instead of 1 and 2, then you did, if that worked for your particular metablolism. He just encouraged people not to backpedal so as not to set off cravings).

The cheese thing confuses me as well. An example: 72-- no cream cheese, but cottage cheese is fine; 1992-- all cheeses are ok; 2002-- hard cheeses are fine but cottage cheese is not.

Go figure.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 11:12
Living LC 4 Life

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 190/133.2/150 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Less Than B4 LC
Progress: 142%

Quote:
I did just get a copy of atkins essentials, which is a really new version,after atkins had passed on, but it was an easy to follow book, I gave it to DD because she might understand it a bit better then the other versions.
How was it, Liddie? Was it much different than what was published in '02? How about 'frakenfoods' - was there a lot of mention of those?

Now I'm wondering if I should order it, so I have the full collection. Who needs to collect dolls or model trains when one can collect Atkins books?
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 11:15
Living LC 4 Life

Quote:
Leslie, I noticed that about the 72 version as well.
Thanks Lee - glad to know I'm not the only one over here scratching my head. And it's refreshing to know that Dr. A used OWL as a guideline but it wasn't set in stone - I believe that! I think, for example, my 'trigger' food may be different than your trigger food, and Liddie may have a trigger food that is different than ours, and so on. I do think it gets to a point where we each have to find what works for us.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 11:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 261/209/170 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:more/much/little
Progress: 57%

Hi all.....I know I'm probably not one of your familier faces on here because I just joined the site last week but I've been spending a LOT of time on here just reading what you all have to say and I do get lots of encouragement from you all. Just wanted to mention besides the Atkins book of whatever years your reading I have two other books I find really good resource material. "Living Low-Carb" by Fran McCullough which has lots of great looking recipes in it too and "The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program" by Drs Richard and Rachael Heller. Both these books you can get great tips and ideas from.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 11:19

BF:

I've read CALP. I enjoyed it as well, and got some useful information from it.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 11:25
Butter is Better!

I have the 1972 HB and soft cover
Dr Atkins Superenergy diet HB from 1978
DANDR 1992 and 2002
Atkins for life
Atkins vita nutrient solution
the Atkins shopping guide
the atkins carb counter
the atkins essentials
Atkins diet cookbook
Atkins new diet cookbook

I want Atkins age defying diet
Atkins health revolution
Atkins diabetes revolution
Atkins netrition breakthrough

atkins essentions does mention the bars and shakes and says to limit them to one a day or less and cut them out if weight loss stops.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 11:28
Living LC 4 Life

Hi justleah (I almost called you Leah but then I was afraid that may not be your name ) - welcome! And thanks for those book tips!

Next on my 'want to read' list is South Beach - just because I think SB and Atkins become very similar as one moves on to Phase 2/OWL, respectively.
I also want to read PPLP because I've had several people tell me it's a good book.

I think reading the different low-carb books really broadens our knowledge of this WOE. In my 'real life' I find I have to constantly justify a low-carb lifestyle and the more information I have, the better!

Thanks again for the reading tips, justleah!
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 11:29
Butter is Better!

I do have the cad and calp books, but I found that that approach, like south beach did not work with me i like Atkins cause its easier to spot trouble when you go up the carb ladder and design your own eating plan.

It is like my little grandaughter, new foods are added one at a time for a week so DD can spot her allergies and know what to avoid, kind of like i spot my triggers and avoid them.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 11:31
Living LC 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by liddie01
I have the 1972 HB and soft cover
Dr Atkins Superenergy diet HB from 1978
DANDR 1992 and 2002
Atkins for life
Atkins vita nutrient solution
the Atkins shopping guide
the atkins carb counter
the atkins essentials
Atkins diet cookbook
Atkins new diet cookbook

I want Atkins age defying diet
Atkins health revolution
Atkins diabetes revolution
Atkins netrition breakthrough

atkins essentions does mention the bars and shakes and says to limit them to one a day or less and cut them out if weight loss stops.

Liddie - you have a wonderful collection of books! I'm so jealous!

And thanks for the clairfication on the mention of shakes/bars in Atkins Essentials. I kind of thought it'd say that. I'm not surprised, but I do think those items are a 'YMMV' type of thing.... Personally I like the shakes (don't throw stones at me, please)....

As a side note -I had no idea there were that many Atkins-related books out there! Where have I been, under a rock?
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 11:46
Butter is Better!

i like the shakes, too
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 11:46

BF:

Oooh, I am VERY interested in that vitanutrient solution! Your low carb collection is admirable...I'll bet you have no problems with naysayers!
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 11:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 261/209/170 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:more/much/little
Progress: 57%

Actually Leslieam.....my name is Leah and I just added the "just" as a joke because my neice and best friend "justconnie" did. But yeah.....your welcome to call me Leah. I too stick to the Atkins but do find useful info in both these books
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 11:50

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hey, I don't have enough Atkins books yet! I really do need to get my hands on his Vitanutrients. I take a boatload of supplements, based on continuing experience and research, but I've never read Dr. A's advice in a thorough discussion.

I think the variations in each edition of DANDR written by Dr. A himself were the result of (1) experience with his patients and their ability to comply with the plan, and (2) popular and professional opinion, in hopes of widening the audience for the book. The differences are minor (cream cheese or not? cottage cheese or not?) and the effectiveness is the same.

Too much attention has been given to the Induction phase, which is so NOT the whole plan. The 1992 edition spells out the four phases very clearly.

My other all-time favorite information source for LC is Laura Richard's Secrets of Low Carb Success--very common sense info. Recently, I've read Protein Power and PP Life Plan because I like the Eades's take on LC--not far from Atkins--and the detailed info they provide about how the process works. Other plans I've checked out seem too complicated.

Never too much information on LC!
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 11:50

BF:

Sorry for the thread jack: do you pronounce it "Lee?" I spelled mine like that for years because folks kept thinking I was a boy...