Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 09:21

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Nope!! The only similarity is the fact that you are on your stomach. The Butt Blaster that I used has your leg out straight, no bending the knees.

I'll try to find a pic. Here you go: Butt Blaster!!!

LOL! You're right .... absolutely no comparison at all, apart from being on your stomach!

Mind you, perhaps I'll be forgiven, because I've never come across anything like that before!
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 09:27
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
LOL! You're right .... absolutely no comparison at all, apart from being on your stomach!

Mind you, perhaps I'll be forgiven, because I've never come across anything like that before!

Forgiven for what? How can you know if you hadn't seen it before!! Silly girl!!

It is a good machine though....
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 10:10
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi babes!

Judy, we have something similar to said "butt blaster" but I'm not currently using it...instead I'm doing bridges and other such gluteal tighetening techniques (nice phrasing, huh? LOL)

Demi, I find it hysterical that you were mentioning sports bras because after the explosive workout I had on Tuesday with my trainer, he and I joked about me being strapped in properly. ROFL He basically said he'd warn me about the following week if it was going to be a LOT of jumping. I told him the code word would be "double up!". This, of course, it from me using two bras in the past for tap dancing and martial arts. (I'm a C cup.)

BTW, joking aside I found some really nice, snug bras for a good price in my local K-mart and I use them UNDER the full torso built-in bra things (that smaller people could wear solo) and the combination seems to work well. You might want to try that with this one. I find if I wear a smaller-coverage style bra that cups my breasts tighter, it helps with the impact. Was that TMI? I figure we're all babes and we bounce so we might as well share the secrets, right? haha

Ok, and while we're talking female stuff, I gotta tell you I'm wooped...TOM arrived yesterday and knocked me to the ground. So today the gym is going to be challenging. But I promise I will go and I will perservere! Wish me luck and have a good, strong day everyone!
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 14:37
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Ooooh...I am sore! Not too bad, it's actually a good sore. But I'm holding off on workout #2 until tomorrow.

Demi - good for you, girl! Working out Madonna-style! One day I will be confident enough to do the same.

That butt blaster thing looks like a boob-crusher I have a hard time with some machines bc I'm so short, so I tend to stick to things like squats and deadlifts. There is a standing butt-blaster thingy in my gym, but I find it hard to use bc it's meant for people with longer everything-than-me.
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 17:52

Plan: Weight Loss Study
Stats: 203/134.2/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 94%

I found some great bras at Title 9 (http://www.titlenine.com) . They grade their bras on a barbell system - 5 barbells = no bounce ever! I'm about a C/D and I feel very comfortable in my 4 barbell bra - even when running.

I'm running tonight and have a trainer appt tomorrow. I'll check in with you all after that!
  #96   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 18:00
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjf9
I found some great bras at Title 9 (http://www.titlenine.com) . They grade their bras on a barbell system - 5 barbells = no bounce ever! I'm about a C/D and I feel very comfortable in my 4 barbell bra - even when running.

I'm running tonight and have a trainer appt tomorrow. I'll check in with you all after that!

Ohhh...thanks!! This is good to know about!!
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 18:33

Plan: Healthy Low Carb
Stats: 190/143.6/125 Female 5'2"
BF:Don't want to know
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
That butt blaster thing looks like a boob-crusher I have a hard time with some machines bc I'm so short, so I tend to stick to things like squats and deadlifts. There is a standing butt-blaster thingy in my gym, but I find it hard to use bc it's meant for people with longer everything-than-me.

I have the same issues - also 5'2". I just started this week and thougt I'd go 2 weeks through the machines just to wake up the muscles, but after 2 workouts I'm thinking next week I'll just start on weights. I have to skip machines and use them in ways that I know are outside my natural range of motion and I really don't want to get hurt before I get going!
  #98   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 18:42

Judynyc: That Butt Blaster looks monsterous! Kudos to you for working on that! Does it bother your lower back at all? You'll be looking good this summer using that!

Today was my cardio day which I did on the stairmaster. Low level for about 20 mins. I have no wind left. Oh, well, gotta start sometime! Besides that, I only have 5 & 10 lb dumbbells. I have a bench that inclines, but it's in the basement in a box since I really don't have anywhere to put it. I never thought about using a ball like a bench. I guess that might be OK at home, but where will I put the ball that my 2 young sons won't find?
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 09:41
Attitude is a Choice

The Butt Blaster can be adjusted to your height so being petite should not be a problem.

As for it being a boob crusher, only for as long as your on it!!

As for it being hard on my lower back? Nope! I didn't feel it there at all. The body position this machine has you in, puts no pressure on the lower back at all. You are working your butt muscles pretty exclusively as you are leaning your weight on your forearms.
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 10:53
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi babes! I wanted to confirm that I *did* go to the gym yesterday (I posted the details in my brand new gym log). I only managed to do abs and resistance and will go back today for cardio, but I was proud that I got something done.

Here's wishing all of you a wonderful weekend! Stay strong!
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 20:33

Lisa - congrats on making it to the gym!

There's no butt blaster at my gym, but I have seen personal trainers have women do similar moves with hands on the bench. It's probably much more effective with weights, though.

I made it to the gym too, and did a few machines but mostly weights. I did full body again, for the last time, I think. I'll start on splits next week - back/bi, chest/tri, and leg/shoulder. I'll do cardio twice a week in between days. I think I'll focus on power moves to start building muscle - I don't have much to sculpt! I think back might be the biggest problem - there's no T-bar and the back machine really doesn't fit me very well. I guess I'll use dumbbells. Any comments?

Have a great weekend all!
  #102   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 21:54
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Thanks FtballMom! I did cardio at the gym today (went back as promised). Tomorrow is my 3rd day of the week for the full body. Currently I'm not splitting but in the future I might consider it. It sounds like you've got a great plan going. I can't comment because I don't have enough experience and have only just begun to strengthen my back, let alone using weights with it. May I suggest you start a gym journal and then all the experienced folk can comment? Oh, and I'll comment too...not sure if I'll help but I'm always good for some cheerleading or a laugh!
  #103   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 11:24

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I'm back from the gym, having completed my sixth and final workout of the week - 3 weight training sessions and 3 cardio/HIIT sessions.

I've just written the following in my gym log, and thought that I'd share my musings here as well:

Quote:
So, I've now done two weeks on the NROL Break-in Program. I'm not going to pretend that it has been easy, because it hasn't, but I have enjoyed it, and I've also been surprised by how much I've pushed myself to do it ... hey, I've even been to the gym, six days in a row!

A favourite Queen song of mine came on the radio as I was running on the treadmill, and I think it sums up how I'm feeling about my workouts at the moment:

Don't stop me now!
I'm having such a good time ... I'm having ball!

My motivation? I think that it's because I can finally see that there's a great body beneath the layers of fat, and it's starting to emerge. With some hard work and clean eating, I might just be able to have that Linda Hamilton bod!

I think something has actually 'clicked' for me while I've been following this workout. I feel that in some way I've being going 'though the motions' with my exercise before now, but suddenly I really, really want to do it. I'm very serious now about what I want to achieve.

It's a revelation to see the start of some muscular definition in my legs, to see my biceps 'pop' when I flex them, to see how my stomach is shaping up ... and I just want MORE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtballMom
I guess I'll use dumbbells. Any comments?

IMO, free weights are the best to use anyway if you're looking to build/sculpt your muscles (though machines can be good for beginners).

Have a great weekend Babes! I'm planning a well-earned rest for the remainder of mine
  #104   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 14:57
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Demi, that is such exciting news! To feel that "click"...and I think I've now felt it too...is so incredible. Suddenly what you do really matters and you can make the connection.

Maybe I should start a new trend...I'm going to call my fitness routine "working TOWARD" versus "working OUT".

I'm feeling better as TOM finishes so I pushed myself hard at the gym today - I just updated my gym log too.

Here's to a wonderful weekend babes! I'm taking tomorrow off but will be back at the gym on Monday. Take care and keep strong!
  #105   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 18:59

Plan: Weight Loss Study
Stats: 203/134.2/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hello ladies! I met with my personal trainer again yesterday. We've started moving weights up on a couple machines, so I can see the progress (and I feel it today too ) - full details are in my gym log. Couch to 5K is also going well - I ran 25 whole minutes today without stopping!

My trainer is on vacation next week, so we'll see how hard I push myself when no one is watching .

Demi - Yay for the click! That's how I feel with the running - I can just run without feeling like I'm going to die. I hope to feel that click with the weight training soon.

Lisa - Working TOWARD. I like it!

FtballMom- Sounds like you have a great plan. Keep up the good work!