Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 05:27

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Hi Ladies ... actually I want to say Hi babes! after Liza posted in my journal about thinking that it's really the "weight training babes" thread, rather than WT buddies

Welcome HerbNurse, waywardsis and dane ~ great to see some new lady lifters join the thread ... the more the merrier.

HerbNurse, great story about why you decided to start. I have to say that future health and mobility considerations were what got me through the door of the gym in the first place, and they are also what keep me going. I'm fast approaching my 50s and want to enjoy the next 50 years, as much as I've enjoyed the first.

waywardsis, I'm not a great cardio fan either ... though I do love power walking or just walking with my dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
My goals are: to perform an unassisted pull-up (that'll take awhile, but I will work towards it); to squat half my body weight (and then my full body weight, and then...); to get STRONG; to weight train for the rest of my life, so I'm a hot, healthy 90-yr-old with strong bones and killer glutes! Oh, and to look as good as Galatia

Me too!

dane ... glad we've inspired you to get going again

galatia ... thanks for the inspiring pic of Linda H. That's exactly how I feel under all this blubber ... however, I just hope that I look that good when I've stripped the fat away

Judy and Lisa ... sounds like you've both got great trainers who are going to push you toward your goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I also just bought another 10 sessions.....I can see this as my new addiction

Absolutely!

OK, I have remembered my gym bag today ... so I'm under starters orders for my new program. As I said yesterday, I'm going to put all the details etc in my gym log ... so feel free to check it out ladies, and any comments will be more than welcome.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 05:29

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Oh Dane, I hope you do join us! You will CERTAINLY be an asset! For anyone who hasn't "met" her, she really knows what she's talking about.

Judy:
Quote:
I've got really good upper body strength...its my lower that needs the most work and I hate that part...but he's see what I need to do and he focuses on that aspect....good man!!
Yep....that's me too. I think once more fat is off my legs, I'll be more motivated to work them harder. Right now they just make me mad.
And look at McHottie....he's more than just eye candy. Was that the order you did those exercises in?

Lisa:
Quote:
I'm thinking about what Gostryder said it took to get to that (well, he didn't explain what, exactly, except that the women he was advising said they didn't want to work that much LOL). All I know is I loved what she looked like in that flick and I'd love to look that good too.
The one thing I noticed while perusing pictures of her in that movie, which there aren't many different ones, anyway....she must have had like 12% body fat. I loved her look, but she was tiny.

HN, this was so neat how you were inspired by your Mom and your DD is inspired by you. That is just wonderful!

WWSis, I'm so glad to see you here. I know you've had so many problems with the bloating, do you have that all figured out now?
Quote:
My goals are: to perform an unassisted pull-up (that'll take awhile, but I will work towards it); to squat half my body weight (and then my full body weight, and then...); to get STRONG; to weight train for the rest of my life, so I'm a hot, healthy 90-yr-old with strong bones and killer glutes! Oh, and to look as good as Galatia
Very good goals!! And thank-you for the very sweet comment.

My biggest goal right now is getting my body fat down to 18%, hopefully lower, but I gotta get there first. I hope by then the leg muscles are showing pretty well. If I stand just right, and flex really hard, in the right lighting, you can see them in there now.

Hey Demi. I missed your post. I hope today goes very well, and I'll be checking your gym log. Have a great rest of the day.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 09:10

BF:

O.M.G!

I've just completed by first NROL Break-in WO, and it was definitely one tough workout - see my gym log for details. Talk about feeling sick and wobbly by the time I finished ... and that was just the warm-up

I think the major problem with that my body has got used to 6-8 reps per set, so 15 per set was a real killer.

Felt good though when I'd completed it

Had to resort to 'girly' knee press ups, as my left shoulder and wrists are just not strong enough at the moment to support my full weight. I'm sure that this will improve as I go along though. Pleased to say though, that my shoulder (which has recently recovered after an injury) stood up to the rest of the work out very well - which to me, bodes well for the future and full press ups

This was also the first time that I'd used a barbell* as well, as I've only had dumbbells available before. Felt very uncomfortable across my shoulders during the squats and lunges, but I expect that I will get used to it. Also, had to drop the barbell for the 2nd set of lunges as my balance was shot, and I was wobbling all over the place. Again, something that I'm sure will improve as I progress.

I admit that the weights involved were also on the low side, but that's mainly because I wanted to see how I got on first with the workout, and because I felt that I ought to 'baby' my shoulder. I'm not willing to go through another long lay off due to injury.

* The gym instructor has finally got fed up with my whining about lack of barbells, so has purchased these to keep me quiet ~ what a nice lady!

Now, if I can persuade DH that I really need one of these and one of these at home, then I'll definitely be a happy bunny.

Last edited by Demi : Tue, Jan-30-07 at 09:28.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 09:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
Oh Dane, I hope you do join us! You will CERTAINLY be an asset! For anyone who hasn't "met" her, she really knows what she's talking about

Brilliant ... hope you stick around
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 11:40
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Awesome inspiration pic! Thanks G! I did get the bloating figured out...gluten/casein intolerance. Now I'm finally seeing some progress.

Question for you all: I'm getting back into lifting after several months off. Knowing me, I will try to perform at the same level I was at when I stopped...I am impatient So I am trying to be aware of my body and ease back into a lifting routine. Any tips on how to do that? Would 2 sessions a week be better for now than three (I'm doing full body)? What exercises are going to give me the most bang for my buck?

I'd love to start doing Olympic lifts, but I have no-one to show me (and I think that's a tad over-ambitious just yet!)
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 14:15
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Sorry I didn't make it by earlier....been a little busy.

Did get an awesome workout done yesterday both UB and LB. Because I am bottom heavy I really cranked it up on the legs and am having a problem with being extra sore today. The places I worked the hardest....my legs, calves and triceps are the sorest because that is where I want to have more definition. My arms to me weren't being worked out equally so I added more tricep dips to my routine and baby I can feel them now.....YOWZA!!. I did an very hard ab workout....mainly v-ups (25) and then crunches on the physio ball (25) and lower crunches lifting the ball with my feet up into the air. (25).
I am very sore...can you say..."Please don't sneeze". I wonder just how bad I would be if I didn't stretch for 10 mins. and take my l-glutamine and my amino complex afterward.

Today was a mile walk with dogs at a pretty good pace and then after breakfast I got on the elliptical for 30 mins. but really felt it in my booty when I finished. I am getting sorer by the minute and expect to not be able to get up and down in my chair tomorrow. That's okay that is a good thing.

This evening I will walk the dogs another mile and will be done with it for exercising for the rest of the day. DD is coming over after class so I can train her on the weights. She is so weak in the UB....so I am helping her to achieve a little more tone. She is going to be in a summer wedding in TX and wants to tone her body. I am sure they will be wearing strapless gowns since it will be an outdoor garden wedding. I am happy to help her as I love to stay healthy and fit. Yesterday she was here and jogged on the treadmill and did some v-ups and then stretched.

Looks like we are all motivating each other...that is awesome!! Glad I joined. It is a pleasure to be in the company of so many determined people.

HN
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 14:35

BF:

Quote:
Question for you all: I'm getting back into lifting after several months off. Knowing me, I will try to perform at the same level I was at when I stopped...I am impatient So I am trying to be aware of my body and ease back into a lifting routine. Any tips on how to do that? Would 2 sessions a week be better for now than three (I'm doing full body)? What exercises are going to give me the most bang for my buck?

I'd love to start doing Olympic lifts, but I have no-one to show me (and I think that's a tad over-ambitious just yet!)

I recently got back into lifting after a lay off due to a shoulder injury. Because of that, I did ease myself back in, starting off with fairly low weights and only a couple of workouts a week - alternating between upper body and lower body.

I was very tempted to go all out ... but as I needed to 'baby' my shoulder, it wasn't a good idea. It is hard to hold back, but I knew that if I didn't, then I'd end up with another injury.

In your case, as you don't actually say why you've had several months off, I'd say 'go for it' but listen to your body ... if it's starts telling you to stop or ease off, then make sure you listen and comply.

HTH

As for olympic lifts ... I'm definitely going to have to leave that one to somebody else!

Last edited by Demi : Tue, Jan-30-07 at 14:56.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 15:41
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi babes! (I'm taking a cue from Demi, based on my suggestion)

It's great to come back to this thread with so much bustling activity.

Demi, right after I post here I'll take a look at your journal. I'm excited for this new plan for you. I've noted the posts on NROL and I think after I'm done working with a trainer I'll be looking to you and to NROL for some guidance.

Galatia, I agree that LH was seriously tiny, but I like that she's becoming our mascot. LOL I think the concept is something to strive for, only in our own terms and with our own body. It's like trying to get someone else's haircut (will I date myself if I refer to the "Rachel" haircut from Friends? LOL) You can only work with the hair you have but that doesn't mean the concepts can't help.

Herbnurse, your post made me laugh...well, the part about sneezing. There are times just after I've done my ab work that I would actually prefer not to laugh! So thankfully I read your post after sufficient time to rest.

Ooh, and speaking of resting, waywardsis, would pushing yourself but increasing your day between workouts help? Demi, Galatia, what do you think? Is there any benefit to resting a little longer between workouts if you're really challenging yourself?

Judy, I'm so excited to see your trainer isn't just a hottie but also helpful. You know what's funny is that I have the opposite problem as you. My lower body is plenty strong and getting stronger by the day. My upper body needed some help...and thankfully I'm getting it.

I'm seriously considering a gym log but I've been holding off because of my schedule. As it is I don't keep up with the forum like I should, but I'm trying!

Ok, I'd like to leave you with my exciting news for the day. My trainer mixed things up a little today, but it was more of an informative session for the future (I'll remember all these exercises so I can come back to them) because next week things are really changing. He gave me over an HOUR today and promised me the same next time because what we'll be doing will take some time. I'm so excited that we'll be going into weight training in the heavier weight, lower rep, stable format sense. Woo hoo! Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed what I've done so far...balancing, cords, nautilus. And you can see the definition forming. But I'm excited to step it up into that new "territory" next week.

OMG you'd THINK that was my exciting news, right? Nope. Not even. During my assessment today, after we finished my workout my trainer tested me with one final thing...push-ups. I laughed when Demi called her knee-press-ups "girly" because I've been doing "girly" push-ups since I started.

Well today, I laid on my stomach with my legs straight out and my feet braced. And I pushed up!! No sissy knees for me. And I repeated this 5 times! My trainer was grinning like an idiot. It was a moment of excitement for us both. I know it doesn't sound like much to those who've been doing this awhile...but I hope you know what a huge deal it is to me!

Ok gals...keep strong and keep in touch!
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 06:42
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Yay me, I got my workout done. I had a baby in Nov., and have seriously slacked since then. It's slow going, but at least it's a comeback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
This was also the first time that I'd used a barbell* as well, as I've only had dumbbells available before. Felt very uncomfortable across my shoulders during the squats and lunges, but I expect that I will get used to it. Also, had to drop the barbell for the 2nd set of lunges as my balance was shot, and I was wobbling all over the place. Again, something that I'm sure will improve as I progress.
It will get easier as you progress, but maybe 2 things that can help: 1)when you have the bar inplace on your back, concentrate on keeping elbows pointed down while squeezing your shoulder blades together. That helps create the muscular "shelf" that your bar wil rest on. Doing shrugs also help build up the traps, though I don't know if they're in NROL programs or not. 2)Don't be afraid to use dumbbells as a substitute (for the barbell) while you're developing balance. It's better to use DB's for lunges, and keep the working weights up, than to have to use less weight just so you can use the barbell.

I have a home gym, too, and the power cage was the BEST investment!
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 06:50
muscle bound

Quote:

I'm also getting back into it. IMO, full body workouts are the best way to ease into it, and 3 times a week is great, but if you have to drop to 2, that's ok. Just depends on how your recovery is. The best exercises are the type you mentioned in an earlier post--compound exercises like squats, benches, rows, deadlifts, chinups. Maybe pick 4 to 6 compound moves, and 2 or 3 for the smaller muscle groups (biceps, triceps, abs). Start with 2 or 3 sets of 8-12 reps each exercise.

Olympic lifting is way cool--something I want to do someday, too. However, the lifts are pretty technical, and best to attack with professional guidance, and after you've built up a good base with the basic exercises (squat, bench, row).
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 06:54
muscle bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbNurse
Because I am bottom heavy I really cranked it up on the legs and am having a problem with being extra sore today. The places I worked the hardest....my legs, calves and triceps are the sorest because that is where I want to have more definition.

Muscular definition is a function of bodyfat, really--lose the fat to see the muscle. So, you don't have to kill your lower body...just hit everything as you are doing.

I also love to walk my dogs for cardio. What kind do you have?
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 07:00
muscle bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
Well today, I laid on my stomach with my legs straight out and my feet braced. And I pushed up!! No sissy knees for me. And I repeated this 5 times!
Haha, good job! I suck at pushups.

Galatia:
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 09:05
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Getting ready to go upstairs and do my cardio. DOMS is much better today and I should be good to go for tomorrows intense totaly body workout. I am not sure if I will just do elliptical or treadmill. Maybe to shake things up I will do HIIT on elliptical (15 mins.) and HIIT on treadmill (15 mins). I want to scare my muscles into compliance.

DD came over last night after class and I helped her with weights again. She really pushed herself hard and I am sure she will feel it today but that is a good thing. This evening she will come do cardio and her next scheduled weight training day is Friday.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dane

Muscular definition is a function of bodyfat, really--lose the fat to see the muscle. So, you don't have to kill your lower body...just hit everything as you are doing.

I also love to walk my dogs for cardio. What kind do you have?

I am aware that I need to get rid of body fat....I am working on eating a lot cleaner. Thanks for the info though....there is always room for more knowledge although I think my brain can't take in any more info about menopause, healthy eating and weight lifting. I have been soaking up all that I can for the past 11 years now ever since I started losing weight.

I have two shelties...Louie is 3 1/2 and Dewey is 14 months old. Because I know it is best for their health as well as mine I exercise them a lot. When temps are more bearable we usually go for 2-3 mile walks twice a day but it is a little too cold for that right now.

Galatia

Thanks for the inspiring picture of LH. When that movie came out I actually bought Body for Life book and started pumping iron. Her sculped body is awe inspiring....so was Hillary Swank's when she did "Million Dollar Baby"

Because you are close to my age and look absolutely awesome in your pics I need to eat the way you do. Since DH has been in Iraq (6 months now) I have been a little more tired due to lack of good sleep and that makes me not very hungry so consequently my required intake of food is less that what it really should be. I try to eat something every three hours making sure protein is included in all my meals but more times then not I forget to eat. I am supplementing with two protein shakes...once around 10:30AM and then again about 7:30 but have to really think about it hard. I never ever thought I would be in a position to not think about eating but it is happening.

waywardsis

Congrats on getting back into lifting.....I know you will enjoy it.

lisaz8605
Judy and all

Good for you all for having a personal trainer. I sometimes think I would be better off going to the gym here on post and signing up with a personal trainer. Because it is a military facility the personal trainers services are free to us. So you say....."What is keeping you from using him?". Hell I don't know.
Guess I am worried about him making me hurt more then I make myself hurt.
I have spent so much money on equipment in my home gym that I feel guilty about not using it. I should in fact go to the indoor pool at the gym and do several days of laps for my cardio. I love that in the summer but just can't get myself motivated to get into a bathing suit in the winter.

Everyone....have a great day!!!

HN
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 09:21

BF:

Hi Babes!

Just back from my first HIIT session, or rather Alwyn Cosgrove's version of it, which he calls 'Afterburn' (see gym log for full details). I did feel a bit sick at the end of the third round, but all in all, it went far better than I'd though it would. Which just goes to show that I'm a lot fitter than I thought I was.

I will be doing HIIT three times a week from now on, and any other cardio activity that I do, be it power walking or walking the dog, for example, will just be a bonus.

Quote:
Alwyn says his clients typically lose a pound or two of fat per week while using this program. Actual results may vary, of course, but if you follow the nutrition guidelines in Part 5, while doing a strength-training routine three or four times a week, you should see fast and continuous fat loss

Lou Schuler NROL

As I said previously, the nutrition guidelines are so similar to South Beach, that I won't be making any big changes there ... apart from changing to 6 small meals a day, rather than the current 5. The extra meal will actually just be a protein shake added in immediately after my workout.

galatia, obviously you don't have to give specifics, but on your cutting program I presume you are eating 6 meals a day? How do you time yours around workouts for example?

My short term aim is to drop another 20lbs, which should bring me down to around 20% body fat. After that, I'll decide how much further down, if any, I want to drop my bf%

Just out of interest, how does everyone here calculate their bf%?

I know that it is difficult to get an accurate measurement, but according to the bf scales in the gym, my bf% is 32.2, while according to the online calculator at the Zone, my bf% is 28.23.

I have to say that I'm more inclined to go with the second number ... especially comparing myself to Stacey Hunt's 'before' pic, where her bf% is 26. As I said in a previous post here, it's more or less how I look now, perhaps a little leaner on top, but definitely the same shape on the bottom and the arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
It will get easier as you progress, but maybe 2 things that can help: 1)when you have the bar inplace on your back, concentrate on keeping elbows pointed down while squeezing your shoulder blades together. That helps create the muscular "shelf" that your bar wil rest on. Doing shrugs also help build up the traps, though I don't know if they're in NROL programs or not. 2)Don't be afraid to use dumbbells as a substitute (for the barbell) while you're developing balance. It's better to use DB's for lunges, and keep the working weights up, than to have to use less weight just so you can use the barbell.

Thanks for the advice, dane Shrugs aren't currently part of the program, but there's no reason why I can't add some in if it will help.

As for the dumbbells, this is what I have always used for lunges, squats etc., anyway, so I will do as you suggest and revert back to them when doing my lunges, and when I've had more practice (with using it for doing squats), I'll try the barbell again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
Yay me, I got my workout done. I had a baby in Nov., and have seriously slacked since then. It's slow going, but at least it's a comeback

YAY too from me for getting it done, and congrats on the baby. Is it your first? I would think that it's very hard to find time to yourself to get a workout done with such a young baby. So I'm impressed that you did

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
Well today, I laid on my stomach with my legs straight out and my feet braced. And I pushed up!! No sissy knees for me. And I repeated this 5 times! My trainer was grinning like an idiot. It was a moment of excitement for us both. I know it doesn't sound like much to those who've been doing this awhile...but I hope you know what a huge deal it is to me!

Hey, it is a HUGE deal Gosh, you really are getting stronger! I can't wait until I can do them 'all the way' again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbNurse
Looks like we are all motivating each other...that is awesome!! Glad I joined. It is a pleasure to be in the company of so many determined people

And I'm really glad that I started this thread because it's pushed me towards a more determined mindset ... I always felt that my workouts were lacking something, now I know that what I needed was the support and motivation from some like-minded people to really up the ante.

Have a great day, and train hard girls!
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 09:32
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN
Because it is a military facility the personal trainers services are free to us.

OMG!!! I'd be there every day if it were free to me!!

I wish I were feeling as into this as all of you are. It feels almost as difficult as when I first started to lose all my weight. My ass and thighs are so bad that I feel like I'll never see any progress. I need a major attitude adjustment!!

I'm going to keep reading about all your workouts and hopefully, you'll get me into a better state of mind.

I am feeling my body today in a way that I haven't before in that the soreness from my Monday workout is very specific to the parts of my body that I worked on. I did butt work that I did not think I was doing correctly but do feel my butt today and now I know that I was doing it right after all.

I'll get there, it will just take me time.

Have a great day!