Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 23:55

Plan: Low carb and clean eating
Stats: 355/277/180 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Hmm, I just searched the forum and didn't find a recipe for pesto. Found a bunch of recipes that INCLUDED pesto, but everyone seemed to be using the store bought variety. That just seems so strange to me. Homemade pesto is so easy to make, and tastes so much better than any you buy in a jar.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 01:21

BF:

I had kind of a break through today. I found myself wanting to eat something. Not necessarily something "bad". Just wanted to put some food in my mouth. And I actually got up to go find something to eat... and realized, I wasn't hungry. It dawned on me, I was just bored. And was going for food out of habit. That's never happened to me before... the realization. At least not until AFTER I had already ate something. I'm hoping that's a good sign. Trying to stay positive.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 05:31

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Great moment of awareness. A breakthrough indeed.

I wasn't quite so successful last night when I got half-way through a truly delicious hamburger steak, and knew that I was "satisfied but not stuffed" (a la Atkins)...and then ate the rest of it anyway. Ah well. It wasn't a lemon pie.

Have a great day today.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 08:58

BF:

Still struggling with breakfast in the morning. I know it's not THAT important. But the problem is, as my day progresses I get really preoccupied with my work and I don't notice the hunger until I'm STARVING. And I know that's not good. Got to be better about that.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 09:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/170/130 Female 5'3"
BF:tight16/12/08
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
I had kind of a break through today. I found myself wanting to eat something. Not necessarily something "bad". Just wanted to put some food in my mouth. And I actually got up to go find something to eat... and realized, I wasn't hungry. It dawned on me, I was just bored. And was going for food out of habit. That's never happened to me before... the realization. At least not until AFTER I had already ate something. I'm hoping that's a good sign. Trying to stay positive.

Sounds like youre on the right track! I find myself doing that sometimes too.. I am a huge snacker when Im bored and Im not even hunry. I hate that!!
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 09:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Hmm, I just searched the forum and didn't find a recipe for pesto. Found a bunch of recipes that INCLUDED pesto, but everyone seemed to be using the store bought variety. That just seems so strange to me. Homemade pesto is so easy to make, and tastes so much better than any you buy in a jar.

I made some awesome pesto in the fall, if I do say so myself, out of the two big basil plants from my garden. I froze it in ice cube trays and stored the cubes in plastic containers in the freezer. It was so handy when I couldn't think of what to do with plain meat, fish, spaghetti squash, or other veggies. (Or pasta, if you cook for a non-LCer like I do.)

I used the last of the pesto in December, and mourned. This year, I'm going to plant a ton of basil so I can have way more pesto to store.

...but I must have tossed the recipe. I was going to post it, but I can't find it. Oh well.

Last edited by Kristine : Tue, Jan-09-07 at 09:21.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 09:44

BF:

I'll be glad to post mine, Kristine. It's to die for. Actually, let me do that right now. Here it is!
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 09:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/214/140 Female 5' 8"
BF:Heh. You're funny.
Progress: 18%

Three things I want to mention:
1. If caffeine is starting to affect you, and did not before, that's a GOOD SIGN. That means that you're already altering your body's chemistry and its awareness of what you're putting in it. You'll start to find soon that your taste will change as well; things that tasted good before (sweet things) will be a little icky, and things that you never liked the taste of before (healthy food) you will start to crave.

2. Definitely start a journal. It's a place to be 100% honest and open about your journey, and you will find that if you take things out of your head and put them down in front of you to spread out and look over, you will learn things about yourself that you never knew before. Also when you've had some success, and you're feeling like "falling off the wagon" again, it is immensely helpful to be able to go back over your journal and see how far you've come already.

3. I don't mean to get too personal, but this one comes from the absolute bottom of my heart: try to go to counseling. There are things within you that have *nothing* to do with willpower, that cause you to sabotage yourself when you begin to have success with your weight loss. Until you find out what those things are and begin to deal with them, you may find that you will never have lasting success with it.

It's not about willpower, and it's not about being a better or worse person than this guy or that guy who might be skinny. ALL of us, every person, has things that hurt them and cause them self doubt and anxiety. The problem for many of us on this forum is that our learned response to self doubt and anxiety, is to eat. Bill down the street may have learned to smoke like a chimney in response to stress. Mary at work may have learned to drink a box of wine in response to stress. Your dry cleaner may have learned to go for a walk or jog to respond to stress (lucky butthead).

There are dozens of different responses to stress that are taught to us as children. Some are lucky enough that their learned responses are positive. Most of us are not that lucky; our learned responses are self destructive.

When I got really serious about trying to fix this problem in the long term, in October, I found a counselor who bills on a sliding scale (I don't have insurance) and was willing to work with me on the cost of my sessions. I've been going for a while now and I'll tell you, it's been a REAL eye opener for me. I feel more confident now that this time WILL be different, because I am different. I'm taking better tools and better planning into the fray this time, and I know what to be on guard against in terms of sabotaging myself down the line.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 10:08

BF:

Thanks for the post, spiritof72. I know all about the taste of things changing. I've done lc several times over the years, and that has always been my first discovery. Luckily, I'm a fairly eclectic eater. I enjoy most foods. Okay, maybe "luckily" isn't the right word to describe that.

Logically, I know the benefits of having a journal. But every single time I go to start one, I just get very uncomfortable. I know that is a hurdle I need to overcome. And I'm sure at some point I will.

Part of me would love to go to counseling. But I honestly don't see that ever happening. I know I have huge trust issues. I can't imagine spilling my guts to someone I don't know. I envy people who can open up that way.

btw, Gone with the Wind is one of my favorite movies.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 11:13

Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Pesto is the easiest thing in the world to make... I use between 1 and 10 (yes, I said 10) cloves of garlic depending on how garlicy I want it (you can't overuse garlic, right?)
I love garlic. Unfortunately, my partner does not, at least not raw. Now that I'm thinking about it, though, we eat completely separate lunches and breakfasts these days...so why not make pesto? Mmm.
Quote:
You can find the french silk pie recipe here
Thanks - that does look tasty. I'll try it the next time we have company; I think most of our friends are quite tired of sauteed and flamed strawberries with black pepper.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 11:17

BF:

And I forgot to mention:
Quote:
Logically, I know the benefits of having a journal. But every single time I go to start one, I just get very uncomfortable. I know that is a hurdle I need to overcome. And I'm sure at some point I will.
Well, I'd say you have already started a journal!
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 14:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidC
And I forgot to mention:
Well, I'd say you have already started a journal!

Yeah, I've been thinking that as well. *sigh* But it's in the wrong place.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 19:30

BF:

Quote:
*sigh* But it's in the wrong place.
Ha, just start one and cut and paste some stuff from this thread. That doesn't mean this discussion stops - au contraire. We'll know where to find you!

And you know, you can put anything in your journal that you want - it doesn't have to be daily listings of your menus, doesn't even have to be every day. It's not a contract, after all

But it does seem to me that you'd be just fine with a journal. You have lots to say. Up to you, of course! Come visit mine - see what you think.

And in case you missed it, check out this post from KyrasDad - lots of good stuff there: KyrasDad

Last edited by SidC : Tue, Jan-09-07 at 20:08. Reason: Added link to post
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 10:40

BF:

Ugh. Getting over a cold that my wonderful roommate decided to share with me. Not much to report, but wanted to check in.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 08:09

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi Azure and good luck this time around with your lc'ing. I know you can do it!! I added that silk pie to my favorites so I can make it one of these days. I am a chocoholic and that definitely looks like something that will cure my chocolate cravings.....yum yum!!

Anyway, I'm back again after about an 8 month hiatus. Luckily, I really didn't gain much weight back because I am always conscience of what I am eating but there have been nights when i sat in front of the computer with 1/2 a bag of chocolate chip cookies (the chocoholic coming out in me) and a tall glass of milk within these past 8 months. I decided to take a different approach this time around though. Instead of worrying all the time about how many carbs, how much fat, or how many calories I have eaten, I am just going to make a conscience effort to eat healthier. If I feel like having pasta one night, I am going to have pasta. I'm just not going to go overboard with it and maybe have a small helping of pasta and make myself a nice salad to go along with it. I also went out and bought myself some multigrain bread (as opposed to the white bread my children will only eat) and made a promise to myself that I will not eat more than 2 slices every other day, if even that. I know I'll probably hear a lot of slack from people on this board but this is the plan I decided to try to see if it works for me. Everybody has a different plan that works for them but as long as the results are the same.......we are all in the same boat.

Anyway......welcome back and I know you can do it this time. You sound like a very good creative cook so I'm sure you'll be coming up with some really good low carb recipes that will keep you happy for the rest of your life.

Patty

P.S. Feel free to stop by my journal anytime to see what kind of ranting I do in there. That's usually the place where I write down my "overindulgences" also as I'm kicking myself in the butt.