Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 235/208/190
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Vitamins

I normally take a mulyivitamin plus chromium plaus l-carnitine but for my meat fast, I am taking nothing just in case they have carbs in them. I figure how bad can I get depleted in 2 weeks.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 09:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hey tony

U would be surprized at how fast your body can get depleted. I would highly reccomend for anyone doing a meat fast to make sure they take their vitamins. For a list of mine U can check under the post cause "what supplements is everyone taking" in general low carber. And be careful too, how long U do the meat fast tony...Im wondering if U go too long...how it will effect U once U add carbs back? Will your body then decide "oh ok we had 20 grams today guess we should put on some weight?" Im not sure, dont have the answer but it is something to think about.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 10:06
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 235/208/190
BF:
Progress: 60%

Thnaks. Ill take your advice and take my multi vitamin.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 04:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins restart
Stats: 143/138.6/115 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 16%

hi

i lost another 1lb today! but is it cos my TOM's just over so most of the weight lost is just water!!??
i find myself being VERY thirsty all the time!! is this normal??

thanks
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 05:05
Registered Member

Plan: Aitkins
Stats: 198/187/139
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default thirst

I find that on days where I've eaten mainly meat I get extremely thirsty. I had half a roast chicken for dinner the other day, and drank 4 pints in the evening as was still thirsty when I went to bed!

I don't know if it's "normal", but you're certainly not the only one

Herald
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 05:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 9 6/9 3/8 2
BF:
Progress:
Talking

meat fast seems like a genius idea!!!

when you platau is the time when you are most liekly to come off the diet, so well done you may have saved may people from coming off the diet with this brill idea!

#22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 06:36

Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hi everyone

I've heard it said by the time you are thirsty your body is already dehydrated. When you eat only meat you are going into ketosis. Which means that your body is burning fat but not completelyfor energy, if you don't drink water this could slow you down because your body is desperately trying to dilute this undigested fat to get rid of it. You may find your body actually retaining water. The more you drink the faster it and the undigested fat leave your body. So drink till you float , you'll be surprised that what you lose is not just water wieight but fat. Now the disclaimer, this is what I've learned but the best advice would to be reread your books. It's important to listen to your body, it's the only one you get. You may find that you will lose inches faster when you drink lots of water, I know that even when I stall if I drink lots of water I still lose inches.

Yours Truely Jo-Ann
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 07:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 9 6/9 3/8 2
BF:
Progress:

drinking lots of water is great in theory but it seems so impractical as it seems every hour im rushing off to the toilet! this really get in the way of my schedule as im usually in lectures or labs all during th e week. but i dont suppose there is any way around it.

also do you guy weigh yourself every day? coz i heard that daily fluctuations can be misleading so it may be better to weigh weekly. what do you reckon?
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 09:10

Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

I drink between 4-6 liters of water a day and what amazes me is that after supper I can still be thirsty...as for going potty every hour..I wish! Im in there every 20 minutes..lol. I weigh myself 2X a week but everyone is different..some weigh in every morning and take an average over the week..some just once a week or even once a month..what ever U are comfortable with.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 19:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins restart
Stats: 143/138.6/115 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 16%

have u guys heard that drinking water too late at the evening may cause water retention!? but after i started meat fast i feel really thirsty all the time!!! even at 12am!! what should i doooo...?
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 06:54

Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Water after 12?

Hi toothgap, I haven't heard that one. The good thing, if it happens it's only water (not fat) and your body will get rid of that quickly when your on this diet. The only reason I can think that it would make you retain it , is if you were dehydrated to begin with. If you're thirsty your body is sending you a strong message.- drink or I'm not going to work properly. I do know that when I drink coffee or tea that they are both strong duiretics for me. But that can be a double edged sworded. The more you drink the thirstier you get and the caffine will increase your insulin production.(makes me stall)
I know a little long winded, I guess in short if it's water retention then that can be cured quickly, the more you put in your body the faster it will leave it.
Hope this helped, it's what works for me.
Jo-Ann
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 22:47

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default So how's everyone been doing on their meat fasts?

I'm starting tomorrow...I read in a previous thread that they only had (or your supposed to have only) 800 cals. and if that's true, it's not a whole lot of meat (1 steak is lik3 3-600 cals). Anyway, I've made my grocery list (including sugar free citricell). I'm going to do it Monday-Thursday night. Friday, I'm weighing in on the results. I'm hoping not to gain any weight, but I don't think that's really possible.

Can't wait to hear how everyone ended up (what their loss was, how long they stuck with it, and if it stayed off)...

Good Luck,
E
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 08:37

Stats: 214/206/140
BF:
Progress: 11%

I will join you Erin, starting today.

my only problem is the huge desire for butter. I love the stuff and since starting atkins I find a meal isn't complete without a couple tablespoons added to the meat for flavor.

I am going to take some fat blocker pills with my meat meal to eliminate the butter calories and fat.

I am also not going to weigh in until friday. Along with my butter addiction I have a scale addiction! I cannot stay off the damned thing!

good luck to us!!!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 08:40

Stats: 214/206/140
BF:
Progress: 11%

I have one question.

Is it okay to have a couple cans of sugarfree- caffine-free soda pop (root beer) during the meat fast?
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 08:47

Stats: 206.0/196.5/140
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Atkins

Hi girls..

I guess I am confused...I thought Atkins was about eating the protein and butter..and 10 -12 times your body weight in order for it to work...that is what his book says anyway....why are you cutting out the butter and calories and meat?

He says you are supposed to eat that stuff...not skimp on it..

He also says in the book to limit your artificial sweetener to no more than 3 packets a day..

Are you doing something different than Atkins?