Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 11:56

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson65
wow. This is all new and kind of scary. It goes against all that I've heard so far. But it's worth a try I suppose. I thought tho if your a female that you have to do cardio to "burn fat"...
Ignorant question I know...but curious...

Any tips on how not to get burnt out? I'm trying to figure out ways to livin up and make my workouts fun. Otherwise I can't get myself to the gym...

Have a read of this: kardio kween - do you really need to sweat to the oldies? - it should help dispell the cardio myth

Krista's site, stumptous.com is also an excellent resource for women's weight training. Lots of great advice, tips, info etc. I strongly recommend it!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 13:10

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:

Krista's site, stumptous.com is also an excellent resource for women's weight training. Lots of great advice, tips, info etc. I strongly recommend it!

It is a great site, and really fun to read.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 16:30

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

I was refering to the site as far as mentioning Darden.

I just thnk that if you constantly go to absolute failure even though it is brief and not very often, some will burn out.

the first time I did it was years ago at a Nautilus Center here in Az(now Defunct) I thought I found the holy grail.

But my strength diminished,my enthusiasm to work out ebbed and I was always toast. I only worked out eod as well.

I think alot has to do with sructure and ones recovery abilities. I am built more like Zane than Mentzer. A greyhound compared to a pit bull.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 16:38

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Have a read of this: kardio kween - do you really need to sweat to the oldies? - it should help dispell the cardio myth

Wow. what a great resource. You know what is so amazing to me is the vast amount of differing information out there that often contradicts itself.
I really like this site though it's got so much cool stuff in it.

Thanks!
Well I'm gonna head off to the gym now, shorten my workout times and see what we can do to not get burnt out.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 17:51

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
I was refering to the site as far as mentioning Darden.

I just thnk that if you constantly go to absolute failure even though it is brief and not very often, some will burn out.

the first time I did it was years ago at a Nautilus Center here in Az(now Defunct) I thought I found the holy grail.

But my strength diminished,my enthusiasm to work out ebbed and I was always toast. I only worked out eod as well.

I think alot has to do with sructure and ones recovery abilities. I am built more like Zane than Mentzer. A greyhound compared to a pit bull.

maybe you werent getting enough recover time? how often were you trainng?
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 19:11
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey everyone, mind if I join in? I'm slowly finding new threads that really speak to me on this form and this one definitely did! I'm currently reading that link you posted, Demi...and it's encouraging. I've honestly never had luck with doing hard-core cardio, but I've always enjoyed gentler cardio and have seriously become a big fan of weight training. So I feel like I've come to the right place!

Last edited by lisaz8605 : Wed, Dec-13-06 at 22:18.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 22:18

BF:
Progress:

Mrfreddy.

I worked out m-w-f.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 00:32

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson65
Wow. what a great resource. You know what is so amazing to me is the vast amount of differing information out there that often contradicts itself.
I really like this site though it's got so much cool stuff in it.

Thanks!
Well I'm gonna head off to the gym now, shorten my workout times and see what we can do to not get burnt out.

It's a great site, isn't it! ... somebody recommended it to me ages ago, and it's what turned me on to weight lifting.

Good luck with adjusting your workouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
Hey everyone, mind if I join in? I'm slowly finding new threads that really speak to me on this form and this one definitely did! I'm currently reading that link you posted, Demi...and it's encouraging. I've honestly never had luck with doing hard-core cardio, but I've always enjoyed gentler cardio and have seriously become a big fan of weight training. So I feel like I've come to the right place!

I've always steered clear of hard-core cardio, because I hated it ... so it was great to learn that I didn't need to do it. I do do a lot of walking though, because I enjoy it, and I also swim. I don't run because my knees aren't up to it any more.

Weight training rules
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 08:43
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
I've always steered clear of hard-core cardio, because I hated it ... so it was great to learn that I didn't need to do it. I do do a lot of walking though, because I enjoy it, and I also swim. I don't run because my knees aren't up to it any more.

Weight training rules

You know, this is revs me up all the more. My story in a nutshell is that I've always been fairly athletic, starting with soccer in high school (defense...not offense)...volleyball not basketball (see a trend?). I did tap dancing and musicals, and tried martial arts for 4 years in my mid 20s. Late 20s I moved to water aerobics and swimming and walking and...pun intended...found my stride! I just fought surgery and pain from herniated discs (back and neck) the last couple years by weight training and CAREFUL cardio. I also realized that with hard-core cardio I was breathing funny with issues in my chest and after reading came up with a rough conclusion that I might have exercise-induced asthma or something like it. SO, I just went back to challenging but not killer cardio...it's what I could do successfully and figured that was better than nothing.

And I'm THRILLED to know that I'm on the right track, can get sweaty and warm but not be gasping for breath and feeling crappy just to have a successful workout. Yay!!!!!

Sorry for the rant, it's just after years of trying to find my exercise groove I'm not only there but this whole topic is just seriously reassuring to me that my tendencies were on target.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Dec-15-06, 09:43

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
You know, this is revs me up all the more. My story in a nutshell is that I've always been fairly athletic, starting with soccer in high school (defense...not offense)...volleyball not basketball (see a trend?). I did tap dancing and musicals, and tried martial arts for 4 years in my mid 20s. Late 20s I moved to water aerobics and swimming and walking and...pun intended...found my stride! I just fought surgery and pain from herniated discs (back and neck) the last couple years by weight training and CAREFUL cardio. I also realized that with hard-core cardio I was breathing funny with issues in my chest and after reading came up with a rough conclusion that I might have exercise-induced asthma or something like it. SO, I just went back to challenging but not killer cardio...it's what I could do successfully and figured that was better than nothing.

And I'm THRILLED to know that I'm on the right track, can get sweaty and warm but not be gasping for breath and feeling crappy just to have a successful workout. Yay!!!!!

Sorry for the rant, it's just after years of trying to find my exercise groove I'm not only there but this whole topic is just seriously reassuring to me that my tendencies were on target.

Read about HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training. Unlike 'cardio' it is a lot more fun for most of us. It gives, along with weight lifting, a metabolism boost. And it is quick, 15-30 minutes. I can provide documentation for this if you want. After weight lifting, or between wt days, I run, upright bicycle machine, or swim. Ever so much nicer than those hour workouts I thought I should do (hour workouts are OK if that's what someone likes)
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Dec-15-06, 18:51
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
Read about HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training. Unlike 'cardio' it is a lot more fun for most of us. It gives, along with weight lifting, a metabolism boost. And it is quick, 15-30 minutes. I can provide documentation for this if you want. After weight lifting, or between wt days, I run, upright bicycle machine, or swim. Ever so much nicer than those hour workouts I thought I should do (hour workouts are OK if that's what someone likes)

Now you're talking my language! I will google that and take a look.

I had a great weight training workout at the gym today. After getting support here I pushed myself a little extra today and I'm really pleased.

And to be sure, Rob, I am NOT all about hour workouts if I can help it. (Well, I'm willing to take the extra time with stretching...but otherwise efficiency is what I'm all about!)

BTW, do you find you do cardio RIGHT after weight training, or do you wait awhile? I pushed myself enough today where I really only felt comfy enough doing "active recovery" versus pushing the cardio, ya know?
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Dec-15-06, 21:34

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
.... I am NOT all about hour workouts if I can help it. (Well, I'm willing to take the extra time with stretching...but otherwise efficiency is what I'm all about!)...BTW, do you find you do cardio RIGHT after weight training, or do you wait awhile?

HIIT should not be done before a workout. It is a good idea to do it after your weight lifting, but after some workouts you may not have the energy. Sometimes I can, sometimes I cannot. Check out from your library New Rules of Lifting. It has more 'guy talk' than it should, the author has subsequently wondered why he did it. The author and another guy and gal are coming out with a book aimed at women, but NROL is still good for both.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Dec-16-06, 09:33

BF:
Progress:

HIiT should be done on non-weigthlifting days. 3 days of each is good and plenty.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Dec-16-06, 09:38
Taking MY Turn

BF:

I'm a tomboy...I can handle "guy talk" and figure out how it applies to me (though I must admit I'm appreciating the women and weight-training support).

So would HIIT be in PLACE of cardio? Ok, enough, enough...I'll go read up on it and stop asking questions before I do. LOL
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Dec-16-06, 09:45

BF:
Progress:

Yes, it would be all you need. Trust me on that.

do you have bleachers in your area? I would start there.