Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Dec-17-06, 17:31

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

esahliners,
You're feeling good because you have stable blood sugar levels..Your body is not on that rollercoaster of once elevated blood sugar to only come crashing down later.

This is due to your excellent eating. Non starchy carbs , fat and protein .

Plus you are becoming an excellent fat burning machine.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Dec-17-06, 20:23

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Its useful to find out what each of us needs for exercise. After three plus years of low carbing (and eating clean), and three years of weight lifting, starting early this year with free weights I know what I need to get through a work out, and maintain fat loss.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Dec-17-06, 23:42
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

I agree. I, too, have noticed I really need to be sated before working out. I've been known to pop a TBSP of peanut butter (or some kind of nut butter) before going if hunger is imminent. Works beautifully.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Dec-18-06, 07:34
Registered Member

Plan: Standard Keto
Stats: 245/245/200 Male 6 FT 1 IN
BF:33/33/16
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
That's why I always found it amazing to watch people on treadmills slamming Gatorade or other "power"drinks. They just don't know how much this is setting them back.

If they aren't low carbing and the drinks fit within their nutritional allotment for the day, how is it setting them back?

When I'm not low carbing and I'm in a bulk stage, I can drink as much gatorade as my body will handle, and not worry about weight gain..

Everyone is doing different things... hard to judge on appearances. Now if they are obese and doing this, its a different story..
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Dec-18-06, 08:25

Plan: daily exercise,LC,LFat
Stats: 115/108/105 Female 4'11"
BF:caliper16%/15%/12%
Progress: 70%
Default yeah-what Gostrydr said!

I agree with Gostrydr. If you are a lowcarber for weight loss why would you load up on carbs.
I eat no carbs and do long exercising on purpose to stay at a low bodyfat.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-18-06, 09:59

BF:
Progress:

First Gatorade is absolute garbage..

Second since it is so high in sugar,it will ellicit and insulin response thus inhibiting fat burning.

third, if they are trying to put their body at a calorie deficit,then why take in calories while working out?

If you burn 300 calories but then take in 300 calories, you haven't done squat. It is a push
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Dec-18-06, 13:03

Atkins, once induction is over, is not about very low carb (although it is not against very low carb). He recommended raising carbs in low steps until you find what your limits are, i.e. you start gaining weight. I was disappointed that my limits are pretty low, way under the 80 that most people tolerate.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Dec-18-06, 13:57

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 147/135/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

I think everyone is different as far as what they need in order to tolerate exercise....what I have been doing is eating a small bowl of steel cut oats in the morning on exercise days, and I feel so much better! And am still slowly losing weight. I simply was not able to do it on a breakfast of eggs only!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-06, 07:49
Registered Member

Plan: Standard Keto
Stats: 245/245/200 Male 6 FT 1 IN
BF:33/33/16
Progress: 0%

Quote:
First Gatorade is absolute garbage..

Second since it is so high in sugar,it will ellicit and insulin response thus inhibiting fat burning.

third, if they are trying to put their body at a calorie deficit,then why take in calories while working out?

If you burn 300 calories but then take in 300 calories, you haven't done squat. It is a push

Agreed. But like I said - not everyone is after the same goal.

When I'm not low carbing, I need the PWO carbs. Gatorade is an easy source.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Dec-22-06, 08:30

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Hi -

I've spent a whole year back on low-carb and nope, I don't have the energy for hard tennis training that I used to on higher carbs, but I do have a lower body-fat and better overall health.

I can't do lots of exercise on low-carb - just seems my body still doesn't work that well at using just fat and protein. My muscles ache, I can't make the sprints round the court, and recently even swimming felt tiring which is unlike me normally.

Ok, enough moaning - but I want to understand how some people's energy goes through the roof and mine hasn't even a whole year. Can it be some of us need more carbs to function optimally? I hope not.

Right now I'm very injured - I tore a muscle in tennis - the very first injury I've had; I put it down to overstressing my muscles on LC trying to do too much sprinting.

I have tried some orange juice during training and it helped a little - but mostly I noticed my muscles didn't hurt the next day.

I used to be able to train 1 and 1/2 hours solid sprinting round the court and feel fine. Now all I do is get in a bad mood and get exhausted very easily.

Once I'm healed up I will try adding in some carbs before tennis.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Dec-22-06, 09:13

BF:
Progress:

Loops,
Have you tried having a carb only meal every couple of days?

Like a dry yam or a bowl or brown rice to put some glycogen back in the ol system?
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Dec-22-06, 16:20

Loops - most of us would experiment with a little preworkout carbs, and figure out what the minimum was to do the workout. I suspect that the minimum would not have any affect on your weight. Dr. Adkins never said that carbs were the enemy. Too many carbs are.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Dec-22-06, 17:39

BF:
Progress:

but if one is insulin sensitive and more than 1/2 the population is
then any carb could be the enemy.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-06, 21:08

Quote:
but if one is insulin sensitive and more than 1/2 the population is
then any carb could be the enemy.

Gostrydr - you would probably be interested in the Dr. Bernstein and Diabetics forum, "I have a lot of questions" thread. There are some really unexpected carb, insulin, protein interactions. And red or dark meat have their own problems. I suppose the only lesson is that human metabolism is really complicated. Rob
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-07, 17:18
Registered Member

Plan: Modified CKD
Stats: 170/170/170 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybee
I found myself sort of crashing during a long (2.5 hours) mtn bike ride the other day, I am in atkins induction (was about day 8 at the time). I'm wondering how to handle this. It seems if I am aerobic for 30-50 minutes I am fine. Thanks for any advice in advance!

WOW! 2.5 hours of straight cardio on LC! You *should* probably crash and burn if your pushing yourself at all during that.

If I was going to do that, I'd definately take in some extra carbs before and after something like this. You might want to look into carb cycling theory for days when you want to do some very long and intense cardio. If you are competitive at any level and this isn't just a hobby, then you might want to look into the kind of carb loading that the Tour de France and marathon runners do (it's somewhat similar to CKD).