Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 11:21

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Way To go!!

Congratulations on the loss! I can't help but peek myself. I think for me it's because I just can't believe that I could possibly be losing weight with the way I have been eating! I love this WOL!!

Okay, pity me tho: I got my TOM one whole week early, which at first I thought was a total drag, but then I read some other posts and decided that it is apparently normal for starting the low carb eating, and decided to just take it as a sign that the change in my eating habits has been significant enough to change my metabolism and that I must be doing something right.

However... this has also meant an entire week that the #$%& scale didn't budge, no matter how many times I peeked!

I never lose during TOM, so I'm not really surprised, but it still sucks!

I just keep reminding myself that by next Monday (my weigh-day) things will be moving again, and that I cannot let the scale tell me what kind of day I'll be having! Right? Right!

I can't wait to see what the actual end of the week brings for you !

Have you started a journal yet?

I was a little disappointed at Lifestyles myself, but I didn't take a long time to just browse. The only thing I've seen there so far is sugar-free ketchup, and I haven't tried it yet. I'll have to just take some time to cruise the aisles and see what I can see.

Keep up the good work!!!

Dizz
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 21:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283.0/233.0/175.0 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Day 5

Day 5 is going well. No cravings or headaches - just feeling very tired - probably because of lack of sleep due to getting up so many times to pee at night. Today I made sure I had most of my water before I left work at 3:15 so hopefully will sleep better.

Went to Lifestyles in Sidney. It was easier to see things in a smaller store. Did get some Atkins bake mix & some low carb bars. I am only have small bits of the bars right now as I hear they can cause stalls.

I am keeping a very mini-journal - just in an exercise book. I have tried journalling before & have not been consistant with it so I am hoping by keeping it simple (date, weight, carbs, a few thoughts on the day) I will keep it up.

I live in a townhouse complex. My next door neighbour who is one of my inspirations (doing Atkins has lost 50 pounds in 6 months) brought me over a treat just before dinner. It was a cheese "cracker" with tuna/mayo on it & then melted cheese on top. It was so good!

Janet
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 02:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default oh too weird

It never occurred to me it might not be obvious, but ladies, please spend some time in the other Forums, you just might be surprised what you find...

For instance, the Atkins forum (especially for Atkins plan folks), the Newbies questions, the LowCarb Kitchen (because real food is, after all, the important part of this W.O.L.), and the LowCarb Products (to learn about all the kinds of products) and ESPECIALLY the LowCarb Co-op, for a {are you READY?} local source of DaVinci Gourmet sugarfree syrups. You can always just click on the LowCarb FoodExperts Logo in my signature line, too!

By the way, the Lifestyles Market carries 2 flavours (last time I checked) of the Atkins sugarfree syrups, Pancake & Raspberry, in the smaller 12oz bottle. I think they carry the Atkins because the flavour is natural, even if the sucralose isn't. Fairly pricey at $8-9 for 12 fluid ounces (375 mL?). DaVinci Gourmet makes it for Atkins under contract! I've got more flavours than that and in the big 750mL bottle!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 19:34

BF:
Talking Thanks Judi!

Great info Judi! I'm all over the map in here, and it just occured to me yesterday to check out the Atkins forum, which I have not been doing. Otherwise, I think I've got this place covered. There is so much to read it boggles my poor little mind!!

Anyway, I do plan on checking out the Co-op because I would love to get my hands on stuff that I'm sure you would have, so expect to hear from me soon!

Cheers!

Dizzy D
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 00:54
Registered Member

Stats: 264/255.5/130
BF:
Progress: 6%
Talking Victorians! Yippee!

Will be so happy to connect with other low-carbers here in Victoria! I have only just stumbled onto this website after having spent most of my time in the Lowcarbfriends and Atkins sites. So, just testing the post....seeing if it works for me.(I've had a couple glitches to work out on the system to be able to say 'hi') Hopefully this 'takes' and we can get to meet. Speaking of meeting...besides your December dinner...do you all get together much? Meri
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 12:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
do you all get together much?

We haven't even MET yet! at least, the conversationalists in this particular thread... I've been here more than a year, but the rest of you are pretty new I've met a few local low-carbers, but I knew them before this webpage got really active, and not all of them are still around OR not active at this website. Pity, they don't know what they're missing!

#22   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 19:24

BF:
Talking Welcome Meri!

Guess what? It worked! Glad you are here. I'm really new at this, but I have just loved this web site. It's wonderful!

I am up for a Victoria get-together just about anytime! That would be fun!!! That talk about the December one piqued my interest too.

Have fun checking out the boards, and there is a support thread for technical questions if you are still having problems.

Cheers!
Dizzy D
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 09:27

BF:
Default 1st official weigh-in

Hi Meri - welcome to this thread. Although we haven't gotten together yet, I hope we do soon!

Judi - your site was one of the first I browsed when I was looking for food products. Once I am over induction, I will be doing some more creative cooking so you'll be hearing from me. I have been spending far too much time browsing all the low carb sites. I'm especially enjoying reading all the great recipes. I have never been much of a cook - my ex was meat/potatoes kind of guy & in the four years I have been on my own, the only time I cooked a "proper" meal is on Sunday's when my mom comes for dinner.

Dizzy - I've been popping in to read your journals! You haven't posted in a few days - how's it going? My mom is also thinking of doing this WOE. She is about 200 & looks fine but she thinks she should be about 160.

My big news is my first official weigh in. I have been weighing myself almost every day but Saturday is my official day & so I stepped on the scales this a.m. thinking about how two days ago I only had 5 carbs during the day (found this out after plunking food into Fitday just before going to bed) and about how much cheese I'd had yesterday and guess what - the scales shocked me.

I am down 13 pounds!!! I can't believe it. I had set 10 pounds as my end of month goal. Just blew by that. Now I'm excited to see what I actually will be by then. I have told myself that from now on, I will only be weighing on Saturday. I love surprises like this!

Janet
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 09:36

BF:
Default test

I just added an atavar to my profile & am testing to see if it comes out o.k.
Hope you all have a great day!
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 16:20

BF:
Cool You rock!!!

Hi Jamnut!!

You rock! Congratulations! Looooovvve it!!

Thanks for checking up on me via the journal. I haven't posted there for a couple of days. It's going great. I have been really good at not peeking at the scale for a couple of days, but Monday's the day. I think after this Monday I'm going to change that to Friday. If I'm going to have pork rinds or something, it's always on the weekend, so sometimes come Monday I'm still retaining some water, and who wants to weigh that!

I have GOT to go get my hair "fixed" in about 10 minutes, but I will be adding to my journal this weekend. My mom started the WOE this week, so I'm really excited about that.

Talk to ya soon!

Dizzy D
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 16:21

BF:
Thumbs up PS

Lovely choice of avatar, by the way!
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 16:21
Registered Member

Stats: 264/255.5/130
BF:
Progress: 6%
Thumbs up Jamnut!!!!!!!!!HURRAY FOR 13!

I am so very happy for you! Whatever you are doing ....keep doing it! You may plateau at some point and will need to hang on to this victory to stay on track, your body is obviously ready to go for it. You ought be happy and proud.

What is it you have added? I'm not sure what that is?....

I do have a question folks....When I was on induction before I had trouble with the breakfast and eating plainly. Is there any problem making sauces etc using the list of induction foods to make the protein more palatable? I want to stick with induction this time, and have been trying to trouble shoot the 'sticky parts' where I'd slip up. So. Anyone know if it has to stay plain?....I like the idea of making cream sauces etc....I also know that there are veggies that need be eaten and keeping count to 20 or less.

I was reading somewhere that folks try often to 'negotiate' the induction plan....ignoring the way it is specified...So, I don't want to do that! But if I can make it more interesting for my tastebuds I know I'll stick with it longer.

Since only one of us is a longer term website Victoria low-carber...and the rest of us new, is anyone interested in setting up a date to meet together and get acquainted. I am very happy there are some folks local who are committing to this wol....I'd like to see if concrete support, walking, etc will help us all. Let me know and we could set it up.

Talk with you soon! Meri
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 00:31

BF:
Arrow Count me in Meri!

Meri!

I would totally be into a get-together! Let me know when you have it together and I will be there! I would love to meet some folks face to face. That's always fun!

Looking forward to it!

Dizzy D
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 09:14

BF:
Default Me too!

I'd love to get together too. Shall we set a date for the last week of Feb? Let's coordinate dates available that week & go for it. My next door neighbour who is one of my mentors (50 pounds in 5 months doing Atkins) is interested in coming and my work Atkins buddy might be interested too.

Meri - an ativar is the picture in the left hand column. I put in a dragonfly - I was actually looking for a butterfly but they didn't have one. You can put one in under "profile".

Janet
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 14:08

BF:
Arrow Last week of Feb.

Hey Jamnut,

The only day the last week of Feb that would work for me is Sunday the 24th. I'm in the HEU so Saturday the 23rd will find me at the protest at the ledge I'm afraid. Or we could do it in the evening. I think that week is pretty free for me. I guess we need to decide whether it will be a lunch thing or a dinner thing! I'd host it but I have a wee little apartment, and don't even have a table and chairs, just one couch!

So, votes for a lunch? Votes for a dinner? I'm up for anything, so there's my vote!!

Will talk soon!

D