Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-08, 15:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANCI B
I wanted to bump this thread as I am hungry for menudo and can't figure out how to get the right taste without the nixtamal. I was wondering if it would still taste as rich and wonderful without it. I just love the broth...that lip sealing quality of all that collagen. I also love the garnishes that go with menudo. I think I will experiment this weekend and see what happens. Anyone out there have any opinions?

nan

Man, I don't know but you're making me hungry for menudo! I would think the carbs would stay in the hominy. Do you really think the hominy gives it that much flavor?

I worked in a Mexican restaurant briefly and Sunday mornings all the Mexicans came in and had Menudo for their hang-overs. I grew very fond of Menudo.

Here's a site with 3 "authenic" recipes: http://www.vivacincodemayo.org/recipe.htm
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-08, 20:32

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 76
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I wonder how many carb the broth would have if you used the nixtamal in the cooking, but just didn't eat that part....Maybe I could put it in a cheesecloth bag and just fish it out. Do the carbs come out in the broth or do the carbs stay with the kernels?

Ummm ... IMHO while some of the carbs would stay with the nixtamal/hominy the water soluble part aka corn starch would surely leech out into the broth ... which may be part of the broths texture.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 08:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I guess I answered my own question yesterday. As it was early dismissal for my daughter, I stopped at the market to pick up tripe and calf feet to make a pot of menudo without the hominy. I had this all in my cart and went to get some canned chili sauce (just red chilis that are pureed and canned). right next to this was the canned menudos. Right in the middle of this was a Juanitas brand of Menudo without hominy (sin maiz). The lable said that it had 2 grams per serving......so I bought 2 cans of it as well as all the fixings for homemade. I cooked the menudo all afternoon and we had it for supper and it was great. I did not miss the nixtamal at all. The broth still had that rich quality that I love in a good broth and by adding limon, oregano, cilantro and radish it really tasted like the menudo that is sold on cold mornings from the little roach coaches here. Those mobile restaurants have probably the best menudo in the world.

when I have eaten the 5 gallons of menudo I made yesterday, I will try the Juanitas to see if it is good.....I have had the traditional Juanitas menudo and it is good in a pinch when you don't want to be bothered with all the work.

nan
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 10:07
Experimenter

BF:

Oooh, let me know how it goes with the canned stuff! I didn't think hominy would account for much flavah in the broth since hominy is pretty bland.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 11:17

BF:

Since I use the nixtamal instead of hominy when I make it from scratch,I thought that I would miss that flavor...Nixtamal is like ubercorn. very nutty and has a flavor all its own. I didn't miss it at all. The canned stuff looks great in the picture on the can. I bet it will be good.........but since the batch I made is so big, it will be a while before I get to it.......I will probably be triped out by then. for a while anyway. I am really not sure why tripe has gotten a bad rap. It is quite delicious and the broth is rich and good....(my daughter said that she didn't want to eat the meat that had fur on it......LOL)
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 11:47
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, I'll have to look for it then and try it myself. Hope I can find it. I live about 20 miles from the border... you'd think!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 12:02

BF:

I bet you can find it.....Juanitas is a big name in menudo. I live right on the border. I see that you live in San Diego.....I go there all the time to the Costco in Santee and sometimes to the one off the 5 if I can remember which exit to take...that one is if you see it you have gone too far and then I always wind up in La Jolla. LOL

Nan
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 12:08

BF:
Progress:

The problem I have with the canned stuff is that you can tell its canned.

IMHO you just don't get the right mouth feel from the broth in a can.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 19:00
Experimenter

BF:

Nanci B, I found that Menudo in my store. I bought a can! Woot!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-08, 10:45

BF:

I finally finished my huge batch of homemade menudo....quite by accident. I took it to work for lunches last week and also had it for lunch on Monday this week. I was heating up the pot for supper Monday night and got sidetracked by something and I scorched the rest of the soup. I was worried that I would be eating tripe forever..........just half of forever. I do love menudo...just not for every meal for a week.

Nancy lc, I am glad that you found the canned menudo sin maiz. Let me know what you think. I just know that it will be good and SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!much easier than scratch.

nan
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-08, 10:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/237/200 Male 6'5"
BF:35/29/20
Progress: 44%

The French make a sausage from tripe called andouilette which is delicious with a little French mustard.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-08, 10:52

BF:

I have never even heard of andouilette. I probably wont find it local. I will do an internet search for it. I take it as a personal challenge to hunt down and try any food that I have missed on my journey through this vale.

Nan
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-08, 11:56

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster
The French make a sausage from tripe called andouilette which is delicious with a little French mustard.

Last time I had that was many years ago, nice reminder

It wasn't served with mustard however, it was braised with a whole lot of whole shallots and red wine ... yummy.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-08, 12:32

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

the pizza place down the block from me makes tripe every wednesday for all the old school italians in the neighborhood. my father used to eat tripe, but i still havent tried it. i get flash backs of smell of it cooking when i was younger.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-08, 13:47
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Nancy lc, I am glad that you found the canned menudo sin maiz. Let me know what you think. I just know that it will be good and SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!much easier than scratch.
nan

I can't tell you because I opened it, took a whiff and thought... that smells really odd. I did heat it up think that might fix the smell but it didn't and I couldn't bring myself to eat it. I got a spoonful within inches of my mouth but just couldn't do it. It all went down the drain.

I don't remember the restaurant Menudo smelling bad like that.

Hey, next time you make it freeze some of it!