Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 10:11
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%
Default Butter Snackers!

It has come to my attention that lurking in the deepest trenches of the lowcarb world there are people who actually EAT BUTTER.

No, I'm not talking about butter in recipes, butter as a dip, or butter as a spread. I'm talking about the wanton disregard for tongues as they lick butter off knives, or even more shocking, the wanton disregard for sanity as they actually EAT IT like it's a bite or two of pudding.

This is nearly as big a surprise to me as alt.sex.stories was back in the 90's. I have never even heard of such a thing.

Confess! Who out there is a butter snacker? And does this "extra oil" do anything useful for you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 10:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 508.7/413.3/199 Female 5'10" (top weight 508???)
BF:223chol; 120/80bp
Progress: 31%

I CONFESS! I am a surreptitious butterSnacker who licks a knife after dragging it across the top of a golden block of Irish Butter!

You mean to say I'm not the ONLY ButterSnacker in the LC world or on this forum? What a RELIEF that is! A taste (or two) of butter seems to set me to rights, as if I had a buttery candy in my mouth - but no horrendous sugar to set off alarms in my metabolism. Just buttery butter. Yum!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 10:56
Its5o'clockSOMEWHERE

Plan: Atkins Inductuction
Stats: 292/229.6/175 Female 5'8
BF:I'll Never Tell
Progress: 53%

Me to.. me to.. waving hand in the air. I totally lick it off the spoon or knife. Its quite yummy !
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 11:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%
Default yep

When my mom did this when I was a child it completely grossed me out...now I'm a butter snacker too. . mmmmmm. I like it cold out of the fridge.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 11:04

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 286/450/215 Male 75.6 Inches/ 192cm
BF:Only Progress....
Progress: -231%

Guilty as charged. It does wonders if you are going through a craving moment to calm one's system down. I was suprised on how well it worked actually.
A teaspoon in an emergency with a dash of Lite Salt has kept the daemons at bay more than once late at night.

But I guess that is different than just licking off the knife though.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 11:14

Plan: atkins more or less
Stats: 158/125/128 Female 5 ft 2
BF:Lots of muscle '-)
Progress: 110%

it's great! i love it. why bother with the other stuff when what you want is the butter??

my family calls me nanook of the north because they think that polar explorers eat butter by the stick '-)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 12:39
Registered Member

When I think of all the bread I ate - mostly to carry butter to my mouth - when I might have skipped the bread and gone right for the butter! Oh, it's a crime to think I ate bread when I did not need the bread - or crackers or anything that carries butter. Cold butter is good, but the taste blossoms when butter is warm and of course we know that anything (even snails) is better in a bath of warm garlicky butter. Oh my! I'm having an orgasm!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 13:09

Plan: Lo-carb. IF 20/4. CKD
Stats: 195/145/155 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 125%

butter! It has saved me and satisfied me more than once. I have to confess that mayo has the same effect. Call me weird.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 13:53
Registered Member

Stats: 000/114/108 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 106%

I enjoy butter too. Almost too much. Don't get me started on mayo. I love it.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 15:04

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

[hides spoon behind back] Absolutely not! I categorically deny it!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 18:39
Registered Member

I suppose we must include here the folks who "do" peanut butter as well as the pure butterSnackers who "do" dairy butter. Is it all the same, going for the fat and eschewing a carby carrier like a cracker or toast? How many times have I read a LC menu that includes a spoon of p'nut butter or other nut butter as a snack. Not much different in content from a handful of nuts. Just less chewing. I'm thinking that my butterknife scraping of butter is probably the essence of that 32oz glass milk that I used to chug as I drifted through a carby life reciting what I was taught in school (that milk is nature's most nearly perfect food - phaugh!).

Better that I'm scraping butter by the tsp; oh, still taking it off a knife, in case anyone sees me snarffling butter by itself. Sigh. So good to hear that others are drawn to this fatty LC snack that tops us off. It's better than that olive with pit that can keep my mouth busy for quite a while gnawing olive off the pit!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 18:53
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I could probably eat a spoonful of butter. Rather have peanut butter or coconut oil however.

Coconut oil is lovely stuff.

Kay
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 20:43

Stats: 231/197/150 Female 5'1"
BF:More to love
Progress: 42%
Default Ditto here

Way before I even started LCing butter was my friend! Just like I loved the smell of a can of coffee when you first opened it...I love the taste of a pat of butter...right out of the freezer. Everytime I take a new stick out to thaw I just have to have the first slice! There's nothing like the rich, creamy, salty sensation that slooooowly melts in your mouth. Who needs M&M's!!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 21:18

Stats: 278/252/180 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Room tempature butter. peanut butter, especially full fat sourcream. I can do mayo too, but prefer a turkey dipper rather than licking it off a metal implement. Just a little bit of fat quells the cravings fast!

All butter lovers need one of these
http://www.butterbell.com/
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 23:30
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer
Not much different in content from a handful of nuts. Just less chewing.

Somehow there is just something totally WRONG about this. On a weight loss board. There might not be any carb difference between the two, but the whole principle is WRONG. The point is not to see how easily you can scarf down a hundred or so calories, but how much satisfaction you can get from them. For most people having to chew something and then swallow it would give them more satisfaction for calorie/carb dollar than sucking it down in one liquid moment. It’s just WRONG.